Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

nachos posted:

I forgot how brutal the first month of constant feed, burp, hold upright, change diaper cycles are. Especially when these little motherfuckers are sharting the entire day and getting hardcore diaper rashes on top of everything else.

yup we are at the end of week 3 and boy it is a lot of fun, i just smear aquaphor baby all over his rear end after each changing and it made the rashes go away

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

we skipped the snoo but really loved the swaddleme and a white noise machine for getting our 6wk old asleep, we use a bassinest we got for 10 dollars off of fb marketplace

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

we are 100% breast but transitioning to 1 bottle a day to start prepping for daycare, what worked for us was getting a lactation consultant covered through the lactation network - she literally came to our house and helped us through several feeds and did a weighted feeding (with her ghostbusters proton pack scale) to figure out how it went

we are rounding on 7 weeks now and it's been fine but it just happened to work for us, my wife really wanted to do it because supposedly breastfeeding helps with postpartum recovery and she did recover super fast

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

nachos posted:

Oh no today is one of those newborn days where it’s an endless short nap -> snack -> short nap cycle

:same: at least he's cute

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

An odd data point here: my first grader's school PTO funds all school supplies (kids and teachers) and field trips and MA provides free school lunches so we pay almost nothing outside of extra curriculars, camp, and an annual PTO donation. Iirc we donated around $300 for the 23-34 school year. I think it was about the same last year.

fascinating - we are in MA too but our son is too young for school atm, what do you think about all of the different teacher strikes in MA? have you seen any issues with teachers getting the support they need in your neck of the woods?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

We'll be doing a short plane trip (just under 2 hour flight, nonstop) in a few months with little KG3 who will be four and a half months old at the time. We are visiting the inlaws.

My wife is somewhat concerned about having him in arms. I'm not too worried about it, but she would prefer for him to be in his infant car seat in the plane. I think this is theoretically possible according to the airline (Delta) - obviously we have to get another seat for him if we want to do that - but has anyone done it? I am a frequent flier and I can't recall ever seeing this done. Any experience with this? We need to bring the car seat anyway so it's not going to be that much more difficult, but I imagine he will need to be held to be soothed / fed etc anyway.

Beyond that, please give me your best 3-6 mo old air travel tips!

you can also check with the airline, some of them have bulkhead bassinets that can be attached and you can put the baby in assuming they are still small enough

i know this wasn't your original question but i am sort of raising awareness that this is an option, we've used it and liked it a lot

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

How do you all make friends with other parents? My wife and I live in the SF Bay Area, and have for a decade. We have a 2.5 year old and she's fantastic.

Our current problem is none of our friends are having kids. We don't have a good support system when it comes to parenting issues or even for playdates. It rained all weekend for the presidents day holiday and we felt like we didn't even have anyone to call to come over and just spend time with us and our daughter to break up the monotony.

moved to the suburbs and were instantly surrounded by tons of ppl our age with kids

more generally though my wife found a LOT of friends through our town's women's club, new mom groups, new mom community zooms, and the local JCC's (jewish ymca) welcome baby program - we went from basically knowing nobody to having a conga line of people giving us free stuff, dropping off food, going on stroller walks, it rules

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

ya that's every town we have a crank small business owner lady who runs every year and her brane jenious idea is to have the kids do their last year working for her biz for free because she is a proud mom and business is good for kids

she usually gets 30% of the vote, in MA

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Bi-la kaifa posted:

Hey my kid is 2 months old and gnawing on my fingers like a puppy. This is bullshit. Teething was supposed to start after the big 4 month regression. Doesn't she know that?

mine is 4 mos now but started doing that at 2 mos as well - it'll probably upgrade to sucking soon for self soothing, he also does it to pass gas/poop

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

We did 12 hours by 12 weeks that some goon recommended ages ago. It focuses more in getting them on a feeding schedule and then working on weaning them off overnight to sleep. Overall it worked and we never had to make him cry it out but the book is criminally vague if you are breastfeeding, we ended up having to do lots of weighted feeds to figure out if we were getting him chonked up before bed. Also doing up the sleeping spaces with blackout curtains and noise machines made a huge difference. We'll probably do it again for kid #2 because we had him sleeping through the night by about 14 weeks.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I'll explain it as simply as I can for parents whose kids are about to start daycare.

You will be sick. All. The. Time. You and your kids can be the healthiest, most nutritious, well rested, stress free family out there. It won't matter. You will be sick 90% of your days for a year easy.

can confirm, child has attended three (3) days of daycare, entire house is sick

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

we also took the paid leave that :wrongcity: provides and took a short trip to a cheap country (portugal) and it worked out fine, my wife is the queen of getting free poo poo from other moms or via marketplace though so we didn't have to buy much

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Renegret posted:

Me, a month ago: I'm so excited, the baby is finding his voice!

Baby, now: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...a...AHHHHHHHHHHHH

ha this here as well, especially at 5am

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

is it tacky to say no gifts but if you want to gift something here's fidelity's gift portal for his 529?

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Not if you lie and say you've limited gifts on the portal to a maximum of $20 so that you're setting reasonable expectations

i like that idea!

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

we have the baby nail grinder too and do it daily, we have it toed to a specific feed to not forget, this led to him no longer freddie krugering himseld

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

when you realize that america actively hates kids and families it all makes sense

can confirm, just had to go vote in my town meeting last night for a tax hike to keep our schools accredited, it passed but not until there were five+ hours of seniors and people "just asking questions" why we should keep basic education in our town