Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.
Thought I might ask the thread.

Part the first - I'm a proud father of a five week old baby (5 weeks today, in fact) - having returned to work in the past few weeks, the wife has taken over primary care giving. She's not finding time to sleep at all from when I leave at half seven until when I return at half six. Baby C won't sleep at all unless held for ages beforehand. and when baby C drops off, its for about a half hour at a time.

Is five weeks too early to start the "leave baby alone so that it knows it has to sleep by itself" routine?

Part the second - wifey's really up on breast feeding. coupled with the lack of sleep meaning she's walking around like a zombie at the moment. I'm doing what I can, nappy changes, winding, taking care of the baby in the evening so that she can sleep. I'd ideally like her to start expressing so that for the evening feeds, she can sleep uninterrupted. She's unsure of doing this, because of the bond of breastfeeding.

Am I being too pushy by asking her to think about expressing so I can help with the evening feeds?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red is Dead
Apr 28, 2008

The great and devious UltraMantis Black hides from no man, woman, beast, or unearthly spirit.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You want this thread for babies up to three months.

Yes your baby is way too young for leave the baby alone to learn to sleep etc. etc. (and many people frown very much on that approach anyway. Look at the posts right after this one to get some ideas to read up on for later.

Please stop calling your wife "wifey" and "the wife" it makes you sound like a 1940's person and not in a cool retro way.

(e: Everyone else, please don't blow up at the dude. I've taken care of it, move along move along :cop:)

my thanks for the links, and my apologies epw for the use of the vernacular.