Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Hi Parenting thread! Just found this thread, and perfect timing with a 2.2 year old and another on the way.

My kid has been basically a great kid; meeting and surpassing milestones in a ton of categories. However one thing that worries me a little bit is her getting really frustrated if something goes wrong; ex: a magnet tile doesn’t line up just right and she smashes the entire thing and flails her arms. We have tried a few things, like having her to recognize she’s angry, give her self a hug, pick up the pieces or try something else for awhile. But it still persists, and I’m a bit worried about what it’s gonna be like when our attention is split with the second one around.
- Does one of her pieces go flying and hit the sibling? how do we react?
- Will she be able to calm her self down without hurting herself?
- Maybe this is something that she eventually grows out of?

Curious for folks thoughts, tia!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
A few scattered thoughts:

- Thanks for the tips about how to work on frustration with my 2 year old. She’s definitely recognizing those situations better and gives me a better framework for taking a time out and talking with her about it. (She’s amazingly perceptive)

- Nara App for tracking feedings and sleep has been great. Keeps it in sync for me, mom, and grandma to all stay on the same page.

- Snoo was great, we got it at a discount. Really helped those first 4 months, but will echo that it also made sense that we were planning on two kiddos. Even took it with us on a trip when she was 3 months old; worth it. She eventually aged out and was fine; we used a Hatch to make sure she still had white noise. Will sell it after the second one ages out so it ends up being around 75-100 bucks a month, depending on what we get?

- To the person wondering about day care First Week; we went through similar. They deviated from our planned schedule a lot. Nice teachers but they needed to adjust to her as much as our daughter needed to adjust to the center. Talked it over with the director and that helped a lot in getting everyone on the same page. That said… we still left about 5 months later when the better teacher got a nanny gig, and then they kept missing naps or feedings and barely doing anything like reading or playing with her. Went to another center that was better setup (Early Infant and Late Infant split class, rather than having walking infants in the same class as infants that weren’t even crawling)

- Another thing that helped with surviving the first daycare was that I was working for a west coast company and remote in the east coast, so I’d let her get that early nap before taking her to school. Less chance of a missed/short nap.

- When evaluating daycares, see if your state has a registry where you can look up inspections. You can get a really good sense of the good daycares from the stuff they get caught - One bad daycare I toured turned out they were also negligent and not locking away dangerous chemicals. Pretty good correlation of “i’ve got bad vibes about this” and incidents like that in my touring of about 10-15 places.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

morothar posted:

Our daughter got a random unicorn plushie for her 4th birthday that happens to look like a character in a series of Polish children’s books that deal with emotions.

What series is this? We have Kicia Kocia books and would like some other recommendations. I don’t speak Polish - my wife’s is first-generation and all of her relatives speak it, so we are trying to see if we can get more books given that she’s such a sponge at this age.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Speaking of: How do folks handle the “first kid at home, birth of second kid at hospital” situation?

We are planning on grandma watching the oldest (2.5yo) and taking her to daycare, but aren’t sure if we should bring her to the hospital to meet her little sister then or just wait the few days to do introductions when mom isn’t laid up in bed (planning a c/s) and we are all set to go home.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
I am seeing this with my kiddo who is going back to daycare for the first time since last summer, and likely doesn’t remember those earlier experiences that she eventually got used to and enjoyed. She cries and says she doesn’t want to go to school, but we have to just give her the space to express the emotion, work through it, and then eventually she comes to the conclusion that it’s gonna be alright.

But it also helps I’m not on a strict dropoff schedule thanks to work being flexible with time in office, otherwise I’d be a lot more stressed and want to just get her in the car.

It has been weirder this time though in prepping her for it. When she was due to have another set of vaccines, we had her give some to animals and read about it, and she did great with that. So we tried books about going to school and it hasn’t been as successful. Perhaps in the former situation we were still there, whereas we aren’t at school.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
We knew we were good on the eyesight worry when she could pick out airplanes farther away than we could. Heck, her sight might be too good.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Yeah there's a whole canon of "VHS movies that we wore out" like Little Rascals, Matilda, 3 Ninjas, Richie Rich. Or the Live Action pet movies like Beethoven, Homeward Bound...

Here's a wikipedia list of a lot of those movies: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_children%27s_films#2020s

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
^ Yep!

That sounds like my experience with our 2.25 year old going back to daycare after 6 months away. We got her books from the library at school, but it was still pretty rough on her the first few days, a lot of "I don't want to go to school!" But now she's totally fine and excited to go. I think any prep is good, but not necessarily something to worry about prior, but be ready to talk them through it afterwards when it's real to them.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Renegret posted:

You mean 3:30?

reading your post about going to work at 5 AM in the corporate thread and then seeing this… goondolences. I hope you pass out by 9 pm at least

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

RCarr posted:

My 10 month old has learned to stand on his own, but has not yet learned how to un-stand.

Any advice on how to teach him to lower himself to the ground or fall safely?

My kid would pull herself up on the gate of her baby pen, but then get upset and not get down without falling. I basically spent a solo-parent weekend showing her how to move her hands up and down and eventually she figured it out (and was very excited! so cool to see her realize she learned it)

I think it’s just a matter of setting up a safe place for experimenting (mat, no hard objects) and perhaps showing them how to move up and down. They may not figure which muscles to engage right away, but eventually they get a hang of it!

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Did she accidentally watch The Blob (1988) (speaking from experience)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
That reminds me, I ought to get the Calvin And Hobbes final strip as a poster.

Maybe pair it one of the best "Calvin's Dad" strips so I can be both Calvin and his dad.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Brawnfire posted:

Gotta love those times your kid says a sentence and you just CAN'T grasp it. Took me hours, but I finally got it.

“i want Eskimo song!”

*repeat 10 times until she does it slowly”

“Ants go marching!”

ohhhh

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
We took ours at 1.25, found a lip tie and that required cutting and healing. boy, that wasn’t fun.

Now we just do a six month checkup just in case. Doesn’t take too long and is for peace of mind.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Before we had kids, we watched the Babies documentary series on Netflix. One of the studies was about how kids grow; when they say a growth spurt, they mean it literally. If you measure weekly, the growth looks constant for kids. But if you measure daily, it’s a series of steps; meaning they’ll just grow half an inch all at once. ooof.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
My kiddo loves giving and receiving head bonks. Can’t get enough of it.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
2.4 year old is skipping most of her naps at daycare and sometimes at home. Problem is, she only has about 12 hours “wake budget” per day, so she becomes an absolute nightmare every minute past that budget.

She usually wakes/is woken up at 7:30 AM and we have her upstairs and getting ready for bed at 7:45 PM. dunno if I should wake her up a little bit earlier to build sleep pressure?

the other issue could be these rainy days where they don’t go outside, so she doesn’t get her energy out.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Mine made static noises for a little bit. It was like she was tuning her vocal cords.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Renegret posted:

Honestly if you're that worried about the no gift thing, just bring a card, don't seal it, and put a Nintendo or Amazon gift card in your pocket. If you need it you just slip it in before you seal, and if you don't, go home and buy the Bluey game or something.

This is the right way.

The wrong way was when we requested “no gifts, but if you must, give a books” and got 4 different big plastic toy sets anyway.

We’ll probably just say no gifts from now on, as we don’t have anymore space for toys and have enough to last her and her incoming baby sister (T-15 days) until they are older. Once baby sister is older, we can retire the rattles and such, then start thinking about older sets.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
On the reserve front, she has never had a true favorite, so we just make sure that we know where we can get something from Prime or Target. “it’s sick and off to the toy doctor, back soon!”

the funniest version of that was when the Gund peek-a-boo bunny must have had a version 2 because the “Do Your Ears Hang Low” song was replaced with something a little bit more kid friendly and modern. i was personally glad it learned a new song when it was off to the doctor.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Benagain posted:

okay I can't tell if you're being serious or sarcastic here, but if you're being serious what i'm getting from this is that your own self declared moral convictions are lacking enough that you feel compelled to call out what you feel is bad but don't have the moral fortitude to do anything about it? and are kind of vaguely hoping that someone else will while still being able to finger wag?

first off, this is a free advice thread on a forum for people who may or may not be experts; imagine us as people at your kids daycare and how they might react. not experts, but hopefully know some things.

also we don’t have a ton of details about the action that took place and the severity of it, hence folks urging caution and introspection, not outright calls for serious action. (though i’m sure the mods have rules in place if admission of serious acts are posted on the forum)

i myself would figure anything that could look like hazing to other people would be something to think about if it was right. if you do a search for “<redacted> child” there are a ton of stories of people detailing it as traumatic and can set back progress. it doesn’t always end badly, but i would worry about what affect it can have on a kid. patience is so key with potty training and most things with parenting; do things that can enable you to be more patient with them to teach them properly.

tl;dr: we’ve done pretty well with rewarding good behavior, and only being stern/loud when it’s life-endangering. for this specific situation; stickers when she peed in the potty, no serious admonishment when she pooped in her pants. eventually she got it, and honestly she was harder on herself than we would ever be when she had an accident. but she also showed interest in using the potty (never got a moment to myself, alas) but that was a good sign that it was time to train.

Nybble fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 29, 2024

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Good luck Space Uncle! Our scheduled c/s is tomorrow for kiddo number 2 as well. I like the “only 4 players” line… but what if I want to have a full MOBA team? hmm

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

space uncle posted:

Good luck to you too!

Kiddo is happy and healthy, 5 lbs even. Mom doing great too. #2 hell of a lot easier. Jesus. Now I see why 3+ kids happen (but not to me).

If any of them play MOBAs they’re out of the will.

Glad to hear y’all are healthy!

We delivered yesterday: almost 9 pounds! Shocked this kiddo didn’t come early, and very glad we elected for a c/s. Recovery for mom is going so much better too this time. She was good last time after many hours of labor and then emergency c/s and no sleep. This time we are well rested and she was already up and walking.

And the first kiddo is really taking it well, she loves being with her grandma. She doesn’t mind that we are away at the hospital (yet), just wants to know where we are, so we’ll probably do intros at home since we’ll discharge much sooner. (2-3 days rather than 5 last time)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
time blindness is a heck of a thing when taking care of the kiddos. playing outside with the neighbors because the weather is finally nice but forgetting we haven't even started dinner yet and its 5:50.

break out the nuggets (and take out for the parents)

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

space uncle posted:

I still haven’t gotten the newborn used to the Snoo motion. Did I just spend $150/mo to have a fancy analog bassinet with all smart features turned off? *clownmakeup.meme*

Did your first kid use it?

We loved it for our first, but it was only good as a “stay asleep” machine. Our newborn now is really taking to it and rocks her to sleep. The biggest thing this time around is keeping the white noise very low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
First outing with the two kiddos almost ruined by a big list of things, but none more so than the stress caused by time pressure to make the only reservation they had left on Open Table last night… and then the restaurant was never full. probably would have been fine to be 30 minutes late. oh well.

but at least the food was good, newborn slept through it all, the mimosas were divine, and we got flowers from the farmers market and some nice pictures by the stork sign my parents got us. an afternoon nap is in order for all.