Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Konomex posted:

Holy crud. I need this. Keep going to use the bulb sucky thing on my daughter because snot just ... there's so much snot. She's inherited my fathers (and so my) sinuses. It's like a cup of snot in her head. Problem is, I can't get enough continuous suction and she's not a fan of the feeling of snot being dragged millimetre by millimetre from her skull.

There's a chance of sucking your babies snot into your mouth though, right? I mean, that's a long tube, but still... is there like a filter in the bottom of the syringe looking thing?

Yes, there's a filter, so don't worry. You're not going to ingest snot ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

So, I plan on bringing this up at his 4 month appointment next week, but I just wanted to see what other parents thought.

My sons exclusively breast fed. He started at around 3 months only pooping every 2 days on average. Farting like normal, and never longer than 3 days, so nothing concerning. Lately, however, he's been passing some seriously foul gas. His poops are normal colored, don't have mucous in them (though they have become less liquid and closer to a thicker consistency, I don't know if that matters or not..), and no random crying or colicky symptoms, so I'm not overly concerned. Just curious if any of you all experienced this.

Oh hey, that could be my daughter you're describing. Whenever she goes a bit long between poops, her farts are absolutely terrible-smelling.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Capslock Holmes posted:

So our sitter is leaving to take a teaching job in another state. Luckily she gave us more than 2 week's notice, but we are struggling to find someone. Daycares have a wait list and my wife isn't cool with them anyway. Our daughter turned 1 on Sunday. Anyone here do Au Pair? We signed up for care.com but not much luck in our area. People want $50 an hour to babysit, I do too.

Why isn't your wife cool with daycares? My son has been to daycare since he was 1 and we've had positive experiences. There are some bad ones out there to be sure (I've heard some stories...), but there are bad sitters too. I would look into it as an option! Being on a waiting list can't hurt as a plan B :)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Capslock Holmes posted:

I think it's because she hears the horror stories, mainly that one about a year ago down in Jackson, MS, and our coworkers who have kids in daycare always seem to be sick. I'm kind of either way about it, and agree that being on a waitlist as plan B isn't a terrible idea. We don't really have any friends who live here with kids our daughter's age and think it would be a good way for her to socialize with kids her age.

Yeah, it's definitely a good idea to check out the place before placing a kid there. I heard a story of a private in-home daycare that ended up being closed down the same day because they didn't have an escape route in case of fire, yikes! The always being sick thing is unfortunately true for the first couple of months or so. My son (and my husband and I) were sick A LOT. But now he seems to have caught it all and isn't sick often any more.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Melliemel posted:

How do you remove earwax from a toddler? At her last checkup the doc said she has some wax but I have no idea what to do about that. I use q-tips on myself, but I'm not sure that's safe, even with the baby-safe ones. Also, I doubt she'll hold still for that. She has tubes, if that makes a difference.

Never stick anything into the baby's ear canal, just wash away the wax in the outer parts of the ear. If there's more that needs to be removed, a doctor or nurse should do that.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

frenchnewwave posted:

At 7 months (today!), how much "solid food" should my daughter be eating -- by which I mean fruit/veggie puree and cereal? She gets plenty of breastmilk and/or formula, and I've been pretty lax about the food thing. I'll give her a serving for "dinner" every other day or so. I think it's probably time that I get more regular with it. Is once a day right, or twice a day? She's had oatmeal and some veggies and she loves it, so I know she's ready. I don't want to discourage her from breastfeeding, though.

At this point I'd offer food after she's eaten breastmilk or formula. I think I offered food twice a day at that point? Or one, can't quite remember.
He didn't really eat any significant amount yet at that age. Then at nine, ten months he suddenly wanted a lot more solids. All kids are different. Some eat almost no solids before a year and that's ok. Some, like my son, eat a large amount of solids at a year, and that's fine too.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Mr Darcy posted:

What's the consensus on trying to stop a 12 month old from doing something he shouldn't be doing? Alex is getting pretty mobile and has been helpfully pulling himself up on the curtains, which came off the wall, and hitting a single pane glass door with his toys - which despite us having put a layer of safety plastic on the glass he managed to crack it. As he's also fascinated by the TV and although we've put a protective screen in front of it we'd rather try and start teaching him right from wrong.

Our approach so far has been a sternly spoken "No!" (not shouted) followed by a quick explanation in the same tone telling him that he's been a naughty boy and <doing whatever he's doing> will break <whatever is most likely to get broken by his actions>. This is all done in simple terms of course! We've then been sitting down on the floor with him and in a nice voice suggesting that a good boy would want to play with all his toys on the floor with <whichever parent is involved>.

We're aware that a lot of this will go over his head at the moment, and that a toddler will be selectively deaf if he thinks he can get away with it.

Are we on the right approach or are there things we should try differently?

Honestly I wouldn't bother explaining to a 12 month old why he shouldn't do something, I'd just childproof the poo poo out of everything and redirect when he does something he's not supposed to. I feel like my almost three year old is just now starting to be able to understand explanations like that.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Prunes can definitely get things going. Just, uh, be careful with the amount. I've overdone the prunes sometimes and the results have not been pretty.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

shadysight posted:

Does anyone have suggestions for redirecting a 1 month old who's taken to smacking us in the face when we hold him? We've tried putting him down, because it usually happens after he's asked to be picked up, and I've tried redirecting it to giving high fives, since that's a lot better behavior, but the original smacking is not going away.

We say "no hitting" or "that hurts" and put him down on the floor or stop playing for a little while. My son is a sensitive flower, and this has always made him stop for a little while. He still hits from time to time, it's inevitable I think (he's almost 3 now). If he hits out of anger I tell him he can hit the sofa cushions. If it's for no reason, I just remove myself or him. I've done it many many many times. The behavior will go away eventually, but not for a good while yet. It's just something that has to go away on its own, because the amount of control a baby/toddler has over that behavior can be pretty limited.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The ikea high chair is pretty good. My mother in law has it at her house. I like it.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

Yeah, we're more than likely going to start with BLW. I might try a few smushed up bananas or avocados in the beginning, but I won't know until then. We're also doing the 'food is for playing/learning' before 1 year. Just to get him ready for it, but more towards getting him in routines.

Thanks for the info on the ikea high chair. I was, and am, debating between it and the space saver. We're going to ikea soon, and will probably end up eating and trying it out there. He's got some chunk, so I'm afraid hell outgrow the ikea chair sooner rather than later.

The ikea chair is bigger than it looks! My almost 3 year old still fits in it. He's tall and average weight.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
My son loved swaddling and was swaddled for naps and sleep until he was a year. My daughter absolutely hates it and will scream bloody murder if I try it.

Also a reminder with swaddling, remember to not swaddle the legs tightly. For hip development, the legs should be allowed to be free enough that the baby can move them freely.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

DwemerCog posted:

I tried them but they are way too tight in the legs, she can't move her legs up or apart in them, and that is supposed to be super bad for baby hips.

I have an entire box of rejected baby swaddling solutions.

Try unzipping it from the bottom. My daughter wore a Frejka's pillow which spread her legs apart and I managed to put her in the woombie that way. She hated it though ;)

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Chicken Biscuits posted:

Does anyone have any tips on traveling with a 4-5 month old? My daughter's not due to be here until October, but my husband's grandma turns 90 in March and is having a big party in Florida, 16 hours away. My husband is a huge planner and wants to get all the details figured out now. :) We plan on traveling by car because it's cheaper. It'll probably be easier for us to figure out once she's here and we know her temperament. Do babies that old still sleep pretty well and for long periods of time?

It really depends on the kid. At that age they generally don't just fall asleep whenever. My son napped two longish naps a day at that age. My daughter is more of a catnapper, half an hour to an hour naps is her style.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Dandy Shrew posted:

Don't laugh, but I live in Ireland and this is new to me.

For some reason, we're actually having summer right now. It's currently 27 degrees (Celsius) in Rorys room, and that's too damned hot for him to fall asleep. I've moved him downstairs into the travel cot in the sitting room because it's significantly cooler down here, and stripped him down to his nappy (he was getting a prickly heat rash on his belly from a onesie). I have a fan going on the floor, and the window open a bit.. He calmed down immediately after being brought down here and is now sleeping soundly in the travel cot.

I guess I'm freaking out a little bit because it's never this hot and I'm just not sure what to do with him. It's supposed cool down to 16 overnight.. at what point do I put clothes back on him or will he just whinge when he gets cold? Stupid extreme weather :(

Haha, Norwegian having the same problem here. My daughter is five months old, and we're having similar weather. When my son was this age, it was February and freezing cold, so I feel a little inexperienced with having a baby in the summer.

For sleeping I've been putting her in a thin shirt and a thin sleeping bag / sleepsack (one of those that snaps over the shoulders so the arms are uncovered). I point the fan at her, which she seems to like. When it cools down at night, I shift the fan so it's not pointing directly at her.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
The amber necklaces don't work, it's a load of pseudoscience. Amber is pretty though :3: they're a choking hazard so don't put them on your babby. I feel your pain, my five month old just cut a tooth and is working on another. I wet a washcloth and put it in the freezer sometimes, she likes to gnaw on that. Also breast milk ice cubes in a mesh feeder.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
We coslept and nursed our son to sleep until he was a little under a year, at which point he started getting so wiggly and impossible to cosleep with that we had to move him into his own room. We night weaned at the same time. It was fine, it took a week of his dad going in to comfort him when he woke up. He sang to him and comforted him, and offered water, but didn't let him get out of bed. After a week he slept very well in his own room. He'd wake up once or twice, but get back to sleep with a few pats on his back.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
My almost three year old son still sleeps with his seahorse :3:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Alterian posted:

Any tips on how to get an 8 month old to not bite? He seems to like to do it at the worst times like carrying him in the grocery store. He snuck up on me the other day while I was trying to get netflix going on the tv and bit me on the side!

I don't think there's any simple solution, unfortunately. When my son bit me at that age, I tried to react as little as possible, just remove him from me if he kept doing it. Also give him something other to bite in case it was his teeth bothering him.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Welcome to the four month sleep regression :smithicide:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Did someone say doll stroller? :cool:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Lullabee posted:

So, somewhat poop question. I think Cs constipated (clay, small ball). However he's only fed 1-2 purees or oatmeal a day, with the main bulk being breast milk. I *think* he's having issues because he went longer between feeds this weekend (he's teething so totally uninterested in eating). I plan on putting him on the boob for most of the day tomorrow to see if that helps, but is there anything else I can do?

Is it okay to give a 6 month old water? We REALLY don't want to do juice anytime soon. So if I can avoid that at all costs would be awesome.

I started offering water when we started solids. You don't have to give juice.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
It's not uncommon for the second week to be the most difficult. They realize that hey! This is going to be the routine from now on, it wasn't just for a short while??

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
Sockmuppet, if she's used to napping in her stroller that can make traveling lots easier. I agree that you should do it!

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I tried breastmilk in my eye when I had conjunctivitis. It didn't work. I want a refund :colbert:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

DwemerCog posted:

I'm not sure I have the willpower to eat rice and vegetables for a month, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea. My breastmilk is made of what I eat. If it doesn't clear up I will ask the pediatrician if this is a good idea (internet medical advice and all.)

You can eat fish and meat? It won't be JUST rice and veggies.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Groke posted:

Our #1 monkey was ready to quit daytime diapers when he was about three years and 1.5 months. Specifically, during the first week after he became a big brother to #2 monkey. This was late summer/early fall, and we'd spent some time that summer on introductory practice (letting him walk around naked in the back yard and pee on the hedge, letting him wear big-boy underpants for a few hours and simply accepting that they'd end up drenched, and so on). During that first week as a big brother he also moved into his own bedroom and (voluntarily, completely on his own initiative) gave up the pacifier. And, as I said initially, he went from being able to let us know he needed to pee right as the water was flowing, to suddenly giving enough notice to get to the bathroom, pull down his pants and place him on the throne. Pretty soon it wasn't generally necessary to drop whatever you were doing and rush straight into action, either, as he could hold it in for a rapidly-increasing number of minutes after giving notice.

Oh, I guess I haven't posted in these threads for a couple of years. These are my monkeys, and the most recent good photographs we have of them both together:

Late May, 2013. Playground time.

August, 2013. Holiday in Spain.

These Norwegian monkeys are Sigurd, born in July 2008, and Eivind, born in September 2011. Both now go to the same daycare (it's Sigurd's last year before entering school). Sigurd is extremely strong-willed; smart, but near-impossible to motivate for anything he doesn't see the point in himself; slightly immature in social development (but catching up); huge for his age, so people often mistake him for being older than five. Eivind is a happy little dude except for brief flashes of being very angry when things don't go his way; provides a running commentary track to absolutely everything that goes on around him (in sentences of often five or more words); wants to do everything his big brother can do. Both have been exclusively cloth diapered, and we've made extensive use of mei tais and such (still do when we need to walk a significant distance with Eivind along). They're a pretty cool little crew, and there's a little sister (we think) coming this winter.

Gosh man, I LOVE your kids' names :3: Especially Eivind, I have always wanted to use that for a boy, but then I went and found myself a husband named Eivind, soooo.

VVV Hahah nah he was weirded out by the idea :P We ended up with an Åsmund instead, which is a name I'm super happy with.

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 20, 2013

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
If she loved going to work when not pregnant, why would you "have her stay at home"? Stay at home yourself is not an option?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
For those of you that aren't aware: There's a facebook group that sprung out of this thread and the pregnancy thread. The group is pretty active. HOWEVER after Facebook implemented the "suggested groups" feature, we've been swamped with spam accounts requesting to join, as well as clueless people who have no idea what Something Awful is ;) We made the group secret, but we still want goons to be able to find it! So we made this group that is easily findable. So if anyone wants in, just join that one, and we'll add you to the real group. Didn't want it to be so drat convoluted, but Facebook is ridiculous sometimes.

Here's a picture of my daughter being mad wearing a Santa hat:

EDIT: You can also post your email-address here or pm it to me, and we'll add you directly! Thanks!

bilabial trill fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
It's actually way more common than many people realize to not be dry at night until school age or later. I have three friends/acquaintances with kids who wet the bed until they were six years old. One of them just suddenly stopped, just like that. The other started school last fall and still does it. The third one I don't know, but she has a medical condition so. Anyway, point being, wetting the bed after being daytime potty trained is really common and usually they get dry on their own.