Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Wife had a baby on Wednesday but she had pneumonia and been in the NICU ever since. Things are looking up now, they're taking her off of breathing support and starting feeding :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

It's been stressful yeah but my wife has been much harder hit. Dealing with it while in pain from the emergency caesarean and unable to breastfeed has made her a roller coaster between depressed and furious. The NICU has been giving us lots of visiting hours at least

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

A week and a half later my daughter is still in the neonatal ICU. She's getting better but mom is getting very depressed and angry at the world.:(

No more pneumonia at least. Just getting her to bottle feed after being stuck with a feeding tube for so long

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

We got a new physician taking over our daughters care today and my wife likes her a lot more. She counseled that my wife try to get some sort of therapy and I think she listened. I hope so

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

In less depressing news, my baby is getting discharged from the NICU after 2.5 weeks. No more ventilators, feeding tubes, antibiotics or anything else needed. Just normal baby stuff for a normal healthy baby :wooper:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Watching a 4 week old suck her thumb while sleeping is way cuter than I ever thought it could be before my nerdy rear end became a parent

Almost makes up for three hours of nonstop crying at 2am last night :unsmith:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

My newborn hated standard nipples on bottles but really likes the MAM nipple/bottle. She prefers it over the breast now, so maybe try that

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Ah. So this is what colic is

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Got the bill for my newborn's c-section and 2.5 week NICU stay. $258,765.13. Luckily I picked a really good insurance plan this year knowing a baby was coming so they covered all but a few $30 copays. But still, that was almost a heart attack :smithicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

External Organs posted:

Oh my god baby, go back to sleep you dum dum.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Good luck. I hope it turns out well :sympathy:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Anyone got sleep resources? My 3 month old still has trouble sleeping at night. The only way we get her to stay down for more than 20 mins is to let her lie on our chests or in her small rocking chair. She wakes up super quick in her actual crib. With me going back to work soon after parent leave we need to figure out how to get her to sleep longer and in her actual crib. Can't stay on the couch all night anymore

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

On the negative side, needing to hold baby in one arm while rocking her to sleep from 11pm to 6am before dumb dumb actually nods off really sucks.

On the positive side, my arm muscles have never been more swole :shrug:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I know it was just a fluke at this age but hearing our 4mo say "Mama" to my wife gave us both the happys :kimchi:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

So advice request time:

My wife had nightmares for months before my baby was born about her getting hooked up to IVs in the NICU. So of course, that happened. Emergency C section to a NICU stay for bacterial pneumonia for 3 weeks this summer. She took it very hard at the time. We ended up staying in the NICU with baby for 12+ hours a day (understandable) but she also became paranoid and terrified at anything the nurses or doctors were doing. She ended up yelling at nurses that baby was fine and could be released without any more treatment near the end of baby's stay. Her mom and I calmed her down and baby finally got discharged normally and in good health.

Now, however, it's 4 months later and I starting to think she has PTSD or something from the experience. She thinks everything could hurt baby, and refuses to let bany leave the house to go anywhere, like the park or to visit my parents, without her. She constantly tells me and her mom that we are taking care of the baby wrong and yell at us if we push back and try to do anything new without getting her express permission first.

So, her mom and I agree she's got something going on mentally. PTSD, post partum depression, anxiety etc. I've tried talking to her about it and asking her to see an md or psychiatrist about it but she's refusing. It's at the point my wife is giving her mom extreme anxiety to be around her, my parents are insulted that she won't let them see the baby in public/ their house (both are vaxed), and she is starting to claim that our child is HER baby not OUR baby.

Obvious extreme red flags here. Does anyone have any advice or resources on how to get her the help she needs? I want her to become mentally healthy again and keep baby from growing up with a toxic mother :(

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, that's a good idea. I'm not sure how I'd get in contact with her obgyn but i can certainly bring it up with the pediatrician. She seems like a good doctor and would be able to intervene for baby's sake without letting my wife know it was me discussing it behind her back, as that would probably just make her less likely to get help. I'll start there.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Thanks for the advice guys. I sent a message to the pediatrician to see what she can do to help and I'm watching her carefully. She would never intentionally hurt the baby but who knows, she is all in on the All Natural Organic No Chemicals Ever thing so that could end up hurting baby from refusing real healthcare from her fears. We have the 4 month vaccine wellbaby appointment coming up soon so I'm hoping Ill get something started with the MD by then

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Whelp, the pediatricians message service sent her my message along with the pediatricians response to my inquiry about my wife's potential ppd.

So now my wife is angry at me and "doesn't trust" me for asking for advice on postpartumm depression for talking "behind her back." And the pediatricians advice was useless: i dunno, talk to her obgyn.

Ugh, i hope she thinks on it and asks for advice anyways after (if?) she calms down.

:smithicide:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah. I'm definitely going to be changing offices after this

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Slaan posted:

Whelp, the pediatricians message service sent her my message along with the pediatricians response to my inquiry about my wife's potential ppd.

So now my wife is angry at me and "doesn't trust" me for asking for advice on postpartumm depression for talking "behind her back." And the pediatricians advice was useless: i dunno, talk to her obgyn.

Ugh, i hope she thinks on it and asks for advice anyways after (if?) she calms down.

Update.

She has calmed down and we had a discussion. Still a bit angry but now she sees where i was feeling anxious about her actions recently. She says she will talk to her obgyn for a new screening just in case. I think it'll turn out ok despite the pediatrician being a loving dumbass

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

:murder: is still an option

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

My own had a month long nicu stay when she was born, though not quite helicopter bad. Stay strong your baby will get out and be the best part of your life soon enough :glomp:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

5 month old baby is entering laugh mode and spent all turkey dinner laughing at people playing with her. She laughed real hard for me too.

My heart :swoon:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Pumpkin pie is a good choice :hai:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

I would have loved to get a baby box like that. So insanely useful

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Diaper, wipes, baggy, small can of formula, blanket, pacifier.

Gets all the essentials without being too much

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

First, primary physical custody. Soon, the world sole legal conservatorship :getin:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Document, take him down :getin:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Whelp, Baby #2 was started just 7 months after the 1st one came out. Gonna be interesting having an infant and a 1.5 year old at the same time...

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

DamnitGannet posted:

My kids were born January 2019 and December 2019. It’s a hell of a ride but it’s very rewarding to see them being little friends with each other. They stay at home because of covid worries so it’s nice that they have each other to socialize with.

Yep, that's our hope too. Little buds :glomp:

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

The only Bad Dogs there are, selling out to the cops like that smh

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Baby just discovered today that I have chest hair. I'm not sure what's more painful, the far too strong to be a baby pulling or the billion tiny cuts from razor sharp baby nails

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah my 5 month old just fell asleep in our arms for the entire 1.5 hour flight

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Baby decided that she was going to start standing in her bassinet without help, while me and my wife were on the other side of the room. Ooh a thing on the floor to reach for! Oops WAAAAA I FELL

Time to move her from the large bassinet to the playpen I guess. Good on her to figure out how to climb a wall that goes up to her chest?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

My baby has pooped twice in 4 days and only greatly strained to do it instead of screaming for a half hour to push out a log as hard as granite.

I'm so happy about this. Why am I so happy about poop. What has being a dad done to me?!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Great, finally an excuse for me to eat (and night fart) more garlic that my wife can't deny!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Thank gently caress my wifes mom lives with us. My wife got pregnant again 8 months out from our first. Turns out, baby doesn't want to stay in there and is poking the sac out of her cervix . At 20 weeks.

Best the docs can do right now is give her anticontraction meds and watch her in bed at the hospital lying with her butt above her head until baby reaches preemie viability around 24 weeks. This is tough on me and my wife is barely holding it together that she might give birth to a live baby that will immediately die outside the womb. I don't know how i could manage this without her mom able to take care of our 11 month old and dog.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

External Organs posted:

Jesus christ, I'm really sorry you guys are going through that right now. Good mother in law's are worth their weight in...well, anything. Really hoping everything goes as well as possible for everybody.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

sharkytm posted:

That really sucks. We have a friend who had the same thing happen, her son was born at 23 weeks and is happy, healthy, and a great kid. I hope it works out for you folks. Modern medicine is amazing.

Yeah. We are just hoping that she can make it to 24 weeks before anything else happens. The hospital says they don't attempt resuscitation until then if baby dies. She already has a cerclage in and it's holding fine for now. As long as she takes her meds and stays to bed rest the odds are decent enough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Whelp, her water broke. No contractions though. Docs say it's a toss up if baby makes it to the magic 23 weeks or not. No uterine sac makes infections more likely. So she's stuck in the hospital until baby dies or her body forces baby out or baby reaches viability.

gently caress