Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

So I have a 4.5 month old little dude who has been just a blast so far. He sleeps well, he's happy, he's growing, etc.

However, the back of his head is, for lack of a better term, mishapen. He has positional plagiocephaly according to the doctor - caused by favoring looking to his right side when sleeping. The wife and I wish we knew better when he first came home to be sure he slept facing both sides, but we had other concerns (breastfeeding issues) and didn't realize it was an issue until the back right of his head was already pretty flat. Anyway, after a few months of trying to maximize tummy time and always trying to turn his head to the left when he was sleeping, the doc suggested getting a cranial band / helmet, and we had our first appointment with the orthotics guy this week. Little dude is going to have a helmet by the end of the month, has to wear it 23 hours a day, and probably for about four months.

Anyone else have experience with this? We're comforted by the fact that it's purely cosmetic, but we're still anxious about the helmet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

vanessa posted:

David had the same thing, at around the same age. We noticed he favored one side for laying down and looking around. We were referred to a physical therapist who diagnosed him with torticollis. We were given a home program to do with him, different exercises to make sure he developed both sides equally.

Our PT explained that we could do a helmet but that at such a young age, the skull is still flexible enough that the exercises are enough to get things back on track. David was actually discharged from therapy this week, and his head rounded out beautifully just from working with him.

Is there a reason you decided to go straight to the helmet? If your insurance covers it, a PT evaluation might be worth the time.

I guess I wasn't clear about that part of it - we already did two months of home exercises that our Pediatrician recommended (between the 2 month and 4 month well-visits). After his head didn't significantly get better after that, the doc wrote a scrip for the helmet.