Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Any cool tricks for plane travel with an 18 month old?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I already hosed up then, because we bought last minute flights with a layover in both directions.

But that “downloaded video on the iPad”idea is good. I’m normally trying to keep him away from screens and TV, but fuckit, I’ll do anything to keep him happy on this plane trip.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Plane Trip Report

Things went super easy. No screaming, no problems with pressure changes. He actually went to sleep as soon as we took off on the first leg, and on the second leg he was frustrating but handleable, he just needed to have his distractions rotated every five minutes.

The biggest help was borrowing a Cosco Scenera car seat. 10lbs and 16” wide, it was easy to carry and install. I’m going to shill for this car seat so hard they should pay me.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ll never read “Moo, Baa, La La La” the same way again.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
When my kid turned one I got rid of pacifiers everywhere except in the crib. I’ll fight that battle some other day.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That’s my big fear with my kid.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

His Divine Shadow posted:

Both boys (twins) have ADHD and even with medication and assistants they've been unable to be in a class of kids, just too distracting, so the school has made for them their own class room where they get dedicated teachers and lessons so they can learn in ways that work for them.

That’s amazing. Is this a public school doing all this?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Do kids actually believe in the Easter bunny the same way they believe in Santa?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’m not a seasoned traveler with kids, but my go to advice is no layovers, check your luggage, bring a tablet, and, for small enough kids, bring a roll of masking tape (it keeps them occupied for a long time, I don’t understand it).

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
For my two US domestic flights we were required to put our car seat facing front.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

My wife and I made it a daily top priority goal to go outside every day. It's pretty easy to lose sight of it if you're at home with the baby.

Having a dog who needs two walks a day is the only reason I leave the house some days.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Good for you. My oldest is 3.5 and barely pooping in the potty.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The General is a good movie about trains. Old, black and white, bit of slapstick.

Pity the hero is a confederate, but that knowledge only comes up in intertitles so I just read it aloud differently.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
And of all the problems you shouldn’t try solve for someone unasked, a kid’s bedtime routine has to be pretty high up there. It can be illogical and painful and ever-shifting, and even if you figure it out for one kid, that knowledge doesn’t mean anything for the other sibling WHO MUST SHARE AT LEAST SOME OF THE SAME GENES WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS so just being supportive is sometimes the way to go.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Jose Valasquez posted:

Thank you to whoever recommended number blocks. After a few weeks of being obsessed with it my 3 year old is running around saying "10 is 5 + 5!" and knows that 9 is 3x3 and 4 is 2x2

Like, toy blocks with numbers?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
We watched some Number Blocks. My son looked at the number one and said, “Does she miss her mom?” Looked at the number 2 and said, “Is that her mom?”

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I hate Thomas the Train and I hate Super Wings.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
“I only pass gas once a year, for an hour, atop a mountain in Switzerland.” – Jack Donaghy

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The Johnny Cash Sugartime cover is top tier.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Dinner time. Time for the daily Negotiation Of The Silverware.

“I don’t want a fork. I want a spoon. A bigger spoon. I want mommy’s fork. I want daddy have mommy’s fork. I want chopsticks. Other chopsticks. You can’t have a fork.”

*takes one bite*

“I don’t like it.”

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We had this phase. I feel ya. Luckily it passed rather quickly. Hope it does for you, too.

I kinda zone it out. I went through my own phases of, “this is cute,” to, “this is really annoying,” to, “I completely disassociate and think about other things while it’s happening.”

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
On the other hand, you all understand more of your child’s grunts and sounds and word-like noises than you know. I was on a train with my son and a friend, and my son clearly said, “I’m on a train.” I said, “yes we are.” My friend looked at me and said, “I have no idea what he just said.” But, like, it was very clear to me, and it made me wonder if I’m subconsciously interpreting things without knowing it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Time to watch a lot of Moomins?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Holy poo poo, is that how it works? This is horrifying.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Having kids is like being in an abusive narcissistic relationship, but you know what, I appreciate the love bombing.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

cuber posted:

Little guy (2.5yo) was mopey tonight, kept complaining, got mad about any of the food I tried to make for him, would go to his room and cry, come out 15 minutes later to tell me, "I'm sad!" We'd try to get what's wrong out of him, but figured he was just tired from not having a nap.

I finally got him to sit with me, cuddle, settle down, and he put his thoughts in order to tell me why he was really sad, "I don't have friends."

Talked to his older sister who explained that some older kid at daycare wouldn't let him play with them. I talked with the daycare lady about it, and we're gonna work through it, but drat. What a terrible feeling. He's not even in grade school, I'm gonna lose my mind.

I fear this for my kids. But I didn’t have a lot of friends in daycare either, and I weirdly have one strong memory of being absolutely excluded, so I hope I’ll be able to help.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
The key to a happy life, especially as a parent, is to develop a taste for the things that other people hate. I love peeps, so everyone gives me theirs.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My kids/toddlers are learning about death from ladybugs. Earlier in the year there were living ladybugs in our house. Now there are dead ladybugs in our house. It feels good to get the basics of this conversation done early.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I’ve found that sleeping is illogical. I can’t make seemingly logical statements like, “if I wake them up earlier in the morning then they’ll go to sleep earlier at night.” Hell, I can’t even say, “if my kid is tired then they’ll sleep.” I don’t know that kids connect the problem of being tired with the solution of sleep. Sometimes the solution is to scream about it.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Scene: early morning.

3yo: “Mommy, wake up, I have the cat’s toy!”

*hands my wife a dead mouse*

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I just successfully pulled off an old trick and I’m proud of myself and want to share it.

Kid was melting down. I kept telling him that he could do whatever he wanted, but he wasn’t allowed to smile. I don’t want to see him smiling. Absolutely not allowed to smile. He couldn’t smile. No smiling here. We’re a no smiling house.

Result: :D

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
And remember you can download movies on a lot of iPad apps, like Disney. Also the Khan Academy app is pretty fun.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
My toddler’s into the Spider-Man show on Disney. On one hand, yay! Spider-Man! On the other hand, now he’s asking me to draw Spider-Man, and it is not easy. I know he doesn’t really care, but I have a bit of pride and want to learn to draw this correctly, and it’s a lot harder than when he was into trains.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Muir posted:

Spidey and His Amazing Friends? My 3 and 6 year old both love it. I was just playing Doc Ock vs Spin and Ghosty as their bedtime roughhousing game.

That’s the one.

Does roughhousing make them tired for bedtime?

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
That is nice of the bees!

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I enjoy how kids will sometimes, accidentally, say something with perfect comedic timing. My son walked into my room this morning with binoculars and said, “with binoculars I can see you from far away.” Then he puts them up to his eyes the wrong way, and says, “see, you’re far away.”

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I have one from Harppa, had it for a year I think. Dunno how long it will last, it’s fine so far. But I have to keep a hex key nearby because the screws will slowly unscrew from being folded back and forth so often.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Any good books or articles on bedtime?

My 3.5 yo hasn’t gone down easily to bed in probably 6 months. I’d like to fix this. We have an okay routine, but not it’s not exact every night, and I don’t know if that’s the problem. I don’t think he’s getting enough sleep in general. He doesn’t nap anymore. I don’t know how strict to be about it all.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
I took my kid to his friend’s fourth birthday party, and it took place at a trampoline park, and I was about as happy as I could be. I love those places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

Cimber posted:

No idea what that is. My kids are past the kiddie movie stage.

You’ve never talked bout Bruno no no no?