Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

rio posted:

Does google filter negative inquiries regarding parenting? Ever since we had our daughter seven months ago I will search for something like "dad depressed after baby" or "unhappy life after baby" just to generally get some idea of what other people are going through and there just seems to be so little in terms of results. I have no insurance and no resources to deal with depression, rotting teeth and so many negatives and it is just kind of bleak sometimes to not even be able to see that I might not be alone in feeling/being this way, particularly on night's like these when financial issues are really impacting us and I have not slept at all and have a baby on me, am eating like poo poo, have no time or energy to exercise, mess around the house etc.

The one saving grace is when my daughter sees me she lights up but man, I just don't get why simple Internet searches turn up do little for dads. Sorry for the vent. And also of I hear one more parent of a student tell me something laughablely negative ("don't plan on sleeping for
18 years LOL" etc) I am going to lose
It.

I searched "dad depressed after baby" and got 34,600,000 results, here's a couple from the first page;

http://www.postpartummen.com/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-13454471

http://www.babyzone.com/pregnancy/pregnancy-depression-and-dads_71633

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2008/05/22/postpartum-depression-in-men/

http://blogs.menshealth.com/health-headlines/can-men-get-post-partum-depression/2011/03/27

But I don't really know if that's what you are looking for, are you looking for groups to join, or just information?

And I can't remember how old your baby is, but it will almost definitely get better. She (?) will start sleeping through the night at some point and once you get back to a proper routine. Also the older they get the better they are at amusing themselves, so it's less impossible to get stuff done.

Edit: 7 months, I don't read well. She's probably starting to get mobile and that's when my sanity took a nosedive - no more putting them down in one place and them staying there. But it honestly does get easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
The website doesn't say not to feed your baby at night. From the way I read it they are advocating putting a baby to bed when they are sleepy but not quite asleep so they get used to going to sleep in a cot.

website says posted:

Once the baby is at least three weeks old, healthy and putting on weight normally, begin to delay feeding for a few moments when the baby wakes at night. The short delay means that waking is not immediately rewarded by feeding. This is done gradually, using handling or diaper changing to add a short delay, but this does not involve leaving the baby to cry for a long time

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I think it's just about getting babies used to going to sleep in a cot rather than in someones arms, so that when they are older they are used to going to sleep on their own. From a baby point of view I guess it could be said that going to sleep in the same place you wake up is possibly less confusing than going to sleep in one place and then waking up somewhere totally different but I don't know how babies minds work and if they'd even notice that kind of thing.

To be honest though I think it's lot more down to the individual baby. Connor was happy to go to sleep on his own from a young age. We'd bathe him, change him, feed him and then stick him in the moses basket and he'd go to sleep absolutely fine. But then my niece who was the same age would scream bloody murder any time her mum or dad weren't holding her so for them it was a year of constant baby wearing and co-sleeping. Neither of us did anything particularly different, Connor was just a lot more chilled out than his cousin.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I'm not sure that I put any stock in the waking up in the same place they went to sleep thing, but I do believe that their security comes from knowing that you will always be there for them. And from the security comes confidence. The only time our youngest gets needy is when she's sick.

No it's not a theory that I've put much thought into, I just wonder a lot what goes on in babies heads.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Sorry if it sounded like I was directing that at you, it really wasn't. I read an article a few months back that explained you positively can't let your baby fall asleep in your arms because when they wake up in their crib they'll be confused as poo poo, so instead of going back to sleep they will cry. Which I guess was your point, but I was speaking to the theory that's out there, and not you.

Ahh, I didn't realise it was a theory that actual people had said :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Eggplant Wizard posted:

You want this thread for babies up to three months.

Yes your baby is way too young for leave the baby alone to learn to sleep etc. etc. (and many people frown very much on that approach anyway. Look at the posts right after this one to get some ideas to read up on for later.

Please stop calling your wife "wifey" and "the wife" it makes you sound like a 1940's person and not in a cool retro way.

(e: Everyone else, please don't blow up at the dude. I've taken care of it, move along move along :cop:)

I think maybe your second link is broken, it opens up the reply box for me.

Is this the post you meant?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Lyz posted:

By manual do you mean ones that you pump by hand? If so, don't even bother unless you are gushing milk. I had a pretty normal flow and I couldn't get crap from a hand pump.

I had a cheap Boots (UK chemist chain) own brand hand pump and could pump a fair bit with it. I've never used an electric one though so can't compare.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My middle son had terrible speech problems when he was young. He would run words together and miss out the beginning/middle or end and some sounds he just wouldn't make at all. He started speech therapy when he was in nursery at about 3 snd a half until he was 6 but by the time he started school at 5 he was still pretty hard to understand and I worried that he would be left out a bit because of it. Within a year of being at school he was speaking at the same level as all the other kids - I don't know if it was the speech therapy or being submerged in the school environment that helped the most but now he's ten you wouldn't know he'd ever had a problem.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Imperialist Dog posted:

Thanks for taking the time to read it. The maid lives with us with just one day off per week, as is normal here. I try to make her life easy and she's a trusted member of our household.

I don't mind Andrew being attached to her, as I was "attached" to a favorite aunt in a similar fashion. I read some guides about pitfalls of having a domestic helper and it helped put the situation into context. You are correct about the need for consistency, though.

As for my wife ... her constant excuse has always been "I'm tired and I need to relax because I'm pregnant." My female co-workers tell me it is an excuse and nothing more. Well, she's going on maternity leave next week so we'll see if there are any behavioural changes.

Starting tonight I'm going to enforce a one week cry-it-out rule.

It sounds as though your maid has become a parent figure to your little boy, and he is feeling the same attachment as children develop for their mum or dad. For a while my son would get very upset if his dad tried to comfort him when he was upset, which was pretty difficult for both of us (his dad was hurt that his son seemed to hate him, I had to deal with everything) but it was a phase that he grew out of - especially when his dad started doing a lot more with him during the day and straight after work. Hopefully your son will grow out of it too.

Being pregnant has a different effect on different women and saying to her 'the women at my work think you're just faking being tired to get out of playing with our baby' is pretty unfair. Although you said she was the same before she was pregnant so I don't know. But it's not uncommon to have little energy at 8 months pregnant when you're also working full time and not sleeping properly.

I'm not going to get into the whole cry it out thing, but imposing a rule that one parent vehemently disagrees with is unlikely to be a positive thing for your relationship.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

The Young Marge posted:

Speaking of gifts, here's a silly little question - what do you guys use for Santa Claus Wrapping Paper? I realized I get to pick some out today, and got all excited. I have fond memories of seeing gifts with the special wrapping paper under the tree in the morning at Christmas. My parents just used paper with a smiley Santa print. A friend suggested old-timey stuff, like brown paper with red and green twine, and that sounds pretty boss to me! (Cheap, too.)

We just get any christmassy wrapping paper, snowmen, santa, robins, etc. But we make sure it's different to the paper we use to wrap other presents and each child has a different design wrapping paper so their pile is easy to recognise. Presents from family are under the tree (or more usually all up at my mums where we go for dinner) and the santa presents are in three piles in the livingroom.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Susan B. Antimony posted:

Santa never wrapped our gifts; they just turned up on Christmas morning, sometimes with a note. I just assumed we wouldn't wrap our kids' gifts from Santa--weird, the traditions you absorb without noticing.

It is. Some of my friends give one big santa present and the rest from them, others give a main present from them and then a stocking full of stuff from santa. My sister in law was told by her parents that santa wasn't real right from the start but they still left out milk and cookies which seems a bit odd. We always got all our presents from santa and I remember one year asking mum why she didn't give us anything.

My 10 year old has officially stopped believing this year which is about the right age but still makes me sad :( We used to spend Christmas eve watching santa films and tracking Santa on the NORAD website - I hope he'll just go along with it for our sake.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

We are not religious in any actual way. I feel like morality is easy (well, not easy). Easy enough to explain anyway. We treat people and things and nature with kindness because we are kind people and want others to treat us that way--and everyone and everything is deserving of kindness and respect. The Golden Rule and all, no God required. I think it's weak sauce to teach that we should be kind and good because then we'll be rewarded by God, and if we're wicked we'll be punished. Kindness, honesty, altruism, etc have inherent, intrinsic value and to teach them only in the context of a punishment/reward structure seems really...belittling. Devaluing.

That's pretty much how we deal with morality too. The UK is a much more secular country than the US from the sounds of it so religion never really comes up. And morality is such a subjective thing anyway - some parents teach their children that being gay is one of the most immoral things they could do and beating up random people in back alleys is just a bit of mischief. So someone might think they're doing a fantastic job teaching their children morals when another person would think they are doing a pretty bad job (if that makes sense).

Edit: And I'd never heard of the Elf on the Shelf thing - that's a bit creepy. Santa was never been used as a discipline tool against me, and I'd never think to use it as one against my children. And finding out that Santa isn't real didnt throw me into an existential crisis or make me assume my parents couldn't be trusted, I was just happy that they had taken the time and effort to do something that brought us all so much happiness. (Although I'm still annoyed I never got the toy kitchen I wanted)

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Dec 10, 2012

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

rio posted:

Speaking of compromise, have any of you dealt with situation where your partner wants to give your kid something sugary and you are not for it? I don't mean like a cookie here or there, but on our daughter's first birthday she wants to make her a cake (her family tradition as well) but I don't particularly see the need to sugar up my kid when her taste preferences are forming (she is already getting finnicky and she started out a great eater) when she isn't asking for it and will not even remember it.

I can't see how a piece of cake would do more damage than the occasional cookie.

Edit: If it bothers you that much could you suggest a healthy cake recipe? My sister made me a chocolate cake with beetroot once. It was disgusting, but looked the part.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 23, 2012

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

rio posted:

I wasn't saying to not have a birthday party or do anything for her because she wouldn't remember it. I was concerned about something that has no nutritional content and is not only benign but bad for you that a lot of kids have problems with. I was a terrible eater when I was a kid partially due to my grandmother who would let me have everything that I shouldn't have every time I saw her. Eventually I would go on hunger strikes until my parents gave in and I guess I am just coming from that experience when considering things like sweets. I think cutting then off completely is a bad thing, though, and just wanted some input from other parents about the cake thing.

I really don't want to sound like I'm getting at you, but not minding giving your daughter occasional treats but drawing then a hard line on birthday cake - a once a year traditional treat that is very common - seems a little bit contrary.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
It sounds like you're going to be in for a stressful three weeks :(

You're not a bad mum, you just want to make sure your kids are eating healthily. I'm not anti treats for kids by any means but if someone gave my kids loads of cookies first thing in the morning I would know the knock on effect that would have both to their eating during the rest of the day and in their expectations of what meals are.

Could you talk to your husband about a compromise of getting a cookie after dinner if your daughter eats a reasonable amount? But if he actually called you a bad mother then that's probably going to be a big conversation to have too. I can't imagine how I'd feel if my husband said that to me.

I don't know about the perfume thing, maybe your husband has become immune to it. I think a four month old would cry and act distressed though if they were affected by it but I really have no idea.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
For anyone doing Santa tonight, this has always been a fun website

http://www.noradsanta.org/en/track.html

and Merry Christmas everyone! I hope you all have a fantastic day :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Shnakepup posted:

We might try this...frame it as "take your shower now...if you take too long you'll go to bed but if you're quick then you can stay up for another hou". Then again, I've always heard "bribing" kids to get them behave better can be a bad thing? For example, we've always tried to avoid doing that with regard to his behavior in school, since we don't want him to expect to be rewarded for what should be a baseline expectation, you know?

Could you frame it more as "you have half an hour before bedtime, go for a shower and brush your teeth now and the quicker you're out the more time you have left out of the bathroom"? That way it's not exactly reward or punishment.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Toriori posted:

My sister just doesn't get it. They have a fenced in back yard and don't live in a great area, so my m got really pissed when she found out my two young nephews play outside in the front. My sister says she watches them but both my mom and I have our doubts that its as carefully as she says. This wouldn't bother me as much if she didn't swear we were being overly paranoid, but two kids were almost nabbed on the campus of my university last summer. The guy was never caught, either. Am I really being over protective and paranoid? I just don't see why she wouldn't have them somewhere that's fenced in when the option is available. The boys are 5 and 6 for the record.

I would worry more about cars than strangers, but it depends on the business of the road etc.

I used to live in a pretty bad area and it was probably the best place I've lived as far as the kids went. Everyone knew each other and whose kids were whose - if they were playing out and anything happened (like a bump or a scraped knee) you knew about it almost as soon as it happened.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mr Darcy posted:

:psyduck:

What? Wouldn't that be better for when the kid grows up and starts using grown up cutlery as the fork would be in your left hand and the knife in your right? Or have I been doing this wrong for 34 years and no one had the heart to tell me?

Isn't it different in different countries? Maybe it's just one of those things you hear but isn't actually true but I've heard people in the US held their forks in the right hand and knife in the left, and switched hands to cut stuff up.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

I do this (in the US, right handed.) Who doesn't do this? Is that a weird way to eat? :psyduck:

In the UK the most common way is fork in the left hand, knife in the right and thats where they stay the whole meal. I don't think it matters at all, people should eat how they're most comfortable, just different countries have different etiquette on these things. And I didn't mean to make it sound like it was a weird thing to do - just I've never been to the US so wanted to qualify it in case it was a load of crap.

Crane posted:

I'm dating a mother of 4 (2 boys 12&4 2 girls 7&10)

It is a difficult thing to balance, but one thing I would say is to make sure she is on the same page as you with disciplinary issues. I was a single mum for a long time, and when my now husband and I became serious enough for him to be an active member of the household there were a few issues that he would take a harder line than me on and I would be stuck having to back up the other adult so that the kids would understand they needed to listen to him. It wasn't anything hugely serious or anything (stuff about finishing dinner) but I felt that the way I had parented for the past 10 years was being overridden by someone with very little experience and it caused some resentment until we ironed it out.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Connor had a horrible cold over Christmas, high fever and very listless. It seems to have cleared up in that his energy levels are back up and the fever has gone but he will not stop crying. He has cried pretty much constantly for the last four days and nothing I do will make him stop. He doesn't seem to be in pain, he doesn't want to go for a nap, he doesn't want to eat, he doesn't want a drink, he doesn't want cuddles, he doesn't want books, all he wants is to scream and scream and scream. I have taken him to the doctors who said he was fine, just getting over the bug, but I don't know how much longer I can cope with this without jumping out the window and running away. It's a bit like how he cries when I tell him not to do something horrible or someone takes something off him - pure temper.

He's also still not eating very well but literally the only thing he wants to eat at the moment is the filling of custard creams. He's drinking okay and plenty of wet nappies.

Has anyone else had this kind of reaction after an illness? He's nearly two years old.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

bamzilla posted:

Could he have an ear infection? Whenever my daughter is sick, afterwards she almost always has an ear infection. This also means her throat bothers her. Some kids (mine especially, argh) are pretty tollerant to pain and hard to read. I would ake him to the ped just to be sure.

That was the first thing I thought as my mum says that screaming for no obvious reason can mean an ear problem (think we were plagued with them as kids) but the doctor checked his ears and they were okay, a little waxier than usual probably because of the cold but no inflammation or redness anything. I'll take him back though if he's still like this in a day or two.

Although since writing that before he screamed for another half an hour so I put him back in bed then he was quiet for 10 minutes, got up and ate his breakfast fine. Hopefully it's a sign he's getting back to normal.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I've found that any time Connor has a blocked nose sleeping through the night pretty much goes out the window. He has a dummy but as mentioned not being able to breathe with one in makes it less of a comfort and more of a torture device, and he's not really got the hang of sniffing so he wakes up with snot all over his face which makes him pretty sad.

I think waiting until his cold has passed to get serious about trying different things might be easier as otherwise you might be fighting a losing battle.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

frenchnewwave posted:

Hi, new mommy here. My daughter is almost 3 months old now. My husband and I love to travel and are wondering when we might be able to (enjoyably) travel with our newest addition. Is it crazy to think about European or UK travel (we're from the States) with her when she's about 18 months? We originally thought it might be a good age - she would have more of a schedule, we would be more confident as parents. Of course we would plan a more relaxed trip and not pack our days full like when we travel alone. But then we just went to a party where someone brought their 18 month old and he was a terror. Thoughts from other parents?

From my experience 18 months would be pretty much one of the worst ages to travel with - just getting mobile and wanting to practice running about as much as they can but with absolutely no understanding of safety or not being horrible monsters. Also limited vocabulary so they can't vocalise anything they are upset about (or really even understand themselves what's wrong a lot of the time) so they throw tantrums. My friend flew from UK to South Africa when her little boy was about 18 months (with an 18 hour stop over in France) and she says it rates as one of the worst experiences of her life.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Good luck. It's horrible having to talk about other peoples parenting choices because we all know what it's like to be judged on some stupid unimportant parenting thing, but this really isn't one of those things that is a difference in style and you are doing the right thing by trying to make sure they realise it.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

systran posted:

For those of you who have been parents for a while now, what do you feel is the biggest error you have made in your parenting career? It seems somewhat that parenting is mostly something that you just go with and that you can't really look back and critique, but what advice would you give to future parents based off an egregious error that you may have made? Is there anything you really wish you could just go back and do completely differently?

Tooth brushing is the only thing I can think. That doesn't mean I haven't made loads of mistakes, but most of them are correctable over time or are the kind of mistakes I could only correct by not having them in the first place (poor choice of partners means I was a single mum for a long time and sometimes I do worry about the effect that will have on them in later life).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

FordCQC posted:

Those of you with kids in pre-school:

What the hell do you do with all the artwork that comes home? Right now my daughter's only 2 so she doesn't care about what happens to it once she's done making it, but it feels wrong to toss it in the trash.

After three kids I keep the very best but bin most of it. If I'd kept every single piece of artwork the nurseries and schools gave me we'd need a spare room to keep it in.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Potty Training.

Connor has just turned two so I thought I'd try potty training him, but I have completely forgotten how it goes at all since potty training the older boys. At the moment he'll pee in the potty if he is sitting on it but I'm not 100% sure he gets the connection. If he's up and playing and starts peeing he'll shout 'need to sit on potty' but obviously by that time it's a bit too late. Also he does this thing when he poos where he runs away and hides while he does it. I can generally tell that thats what he's up to but if I try and get him to sit on the potty instead of running away he'll just not go.

Also we are moving house in 7 weeks and having a baby in 12 weeks so I'm not sure if all the upset caused by that will make him regress and it would be better to wait until after - is 7 weeks long enough to get it to sink in enough? And how old on average were kids when you started potty training?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Gilbert posted:

We started potty training our son at Christmas (when we were both off work for a couple of weeks and could focus on 'cracking it') He did the same hiding when he needed a poo thing, and actually stood in a corner when he needed a wee. Doing both these things are tell tale signs that they know when they're about to go. You just need to transfer it to 'using the potty' rather than 'run away and hide'.
We were really surprised how quickly it clicks in place.
We did 3 or 4 days of putting him on the potty ALL THE TIME! Then there was a week or so of hits and misses and then he just got it one day :-)
I personally wouldn't change any plans to fit in around the potty training. You could maybe even play it in a way that he'll be a big boy, using the potty, when you do move house.

Good luck!

Thanks :) I think he is getting it but because so far it's been hard to get a clear run of days where we don't have to be out and about I worry that it's confusing him using the potty sometimes and not others. I got some pull ups for him though rather than traditional disposable nappies so will see if they help.

I just hate the fact that all the books and websites say "start when they show an interest" as I really don't think he gives a poo poo about where he goes to the toilet (especially as disposables are so absorbant so being wet doesn't bother him).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I've taken my boys into girl bathrooms loads and no one has ever said anything about it or looked bothered at all. A lot of places these days have unisex parent and child changing rooms with toilets in them too so remember to look out for them (the queues are usually shorter too which is handy).

Edit: And like Iwik says below, disabled toilets are always an option. When the boys were at the stage of not wanting to go into the girls toilet but we were somewhere that I didn't feel comfortable sending them into the mens bathroom alone they would use the disabled toilet.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Mar 1, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Melliemel posted:

On the lines of potty training, we started a whole three days ago, so I'm new at this. We have her in pull-ups and we ask her once an hour if she needs to potty, wants to potty, or has pottied in her diaper. I think I'm supposed to be setting her on the pot hourly or more, but I don't want to force her to do that.

I also don't know how to get her clean. She had an overnight poop, so I stuck her on the potty this morning and nothing happened, but then I had to wipe the diaper-smooshed badness off her, and she was not having it. Wouldn't stand up, wanted to sit on me or the floor, and when I leaned her over to wipe her it was like I was pulling out her toenails. I hope that potty-poops will be less smeary, but I'm not sure that will be true.

So, how do you get them to have a sit regularly, and how do you get them clean after?

When they poo in the potty generally it doesn't get all smooshy because they're not squishing it about. You still need to wipe them but it's pretty much the same as wiping yourself after doing a poo. I find it easiest doing it when he takes his potty through to the bathroom (routine is if he does anything in the potty lots of woohooing, then we carry it through he pours the contents into the toilet then flushes and washes his hands).

I've been leaving Connor naked from the waist down for the first few days just so he sees when he is peeing and gets the connection. It's not going particularly well at the moment but that's my fault more than his. The health visitor suggested putting pants on him underneath his nappy so he feels the unpleasantness of wetness and is more motivated.

As to how to get them to sit still - buggered if I know :( I've resorted to letting him play fruit ninja on my phone while he sits there but everything we've tried only works for a day or so before the novelty wears off.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
How many naps does Ben have at the moment? Maybe pushing back the nap before so it's like combining the two naps into one might work? Connor used to have two shortish naps at 10 and then at 2 but now he just goes for a long one at about half eleven. I can't remember how old he was though.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Helanna posted:

We've been giving yoghurt and cheese and small amounts of cows mik (in porridge for example) since 6 months, and she does just fine. She adores yoghurt and porridge. Egg we waiting til about 7 months (now 9 months) and she isn't the biggest fan

We were the same with Connor and no problems at all, but there's no history of allergies in either of our families. I'd probably have been a bit more wary if there had been.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Mr Darcy posted:

Ditto on the TV front, we just bung on CBeebies every now and again when we really really (really!) need a 30 minute break from baby-pocalypse. I'd guess that Alex maybe hits maybe an hour a month TV time wise and it's normally just on in the background while he uses a toy brick to clobber the shite out of a teddy or something.

He does like having Classic FM on as well though, when possible we'll put that on instead when he gets a bit fractious.

TV that he likes: Chuggington, Everything's Rosie, Mike the Knight, Bob the Builder, Postman Pat, Timmy Time, Tilly and Friends & Dipdap.

TV that hasn't held his attention: Chuggington, Everything's Rosie, Mike the Knight, Bob the Builder, Postman Pat, Timmy Time, Tilly and Friends & Dipdap. (You didn't see this coming at all, did you?)

Mike the Knight is the worst, if I was his mum I would take his sword away and tell him to stop being such a horrible little poo poo.

But apart from that Connor is the same, he likes Pocoyo but apart from that TV doesn't hold much interest for him at all. He does like watching music videos on youtube so when we need 3.05 minutes of calm we'll put on the Elephant Song.

On a different topic, how do people handle haircuts? Tried to cut Connors hair tonight and it was a nightmare - he seemed determined to get the scissors in his eyes. When he was younger it wasn't so bad and he would sit relatively still but not now.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

E is 14 months now and shows no interest in speaking. He only says one word ("hi") and doesn't even use baby-words for things. He will occasionally babble late at night before bed, but otherwise he is quiet most of the day (except for saying/grunting "Oooh-Oooh" when he wants something).

Everything I read/hear from the doctor about speech development and milestones say he is behind; but my husband and his two siblings were all late talkers (with no speech problems) and I have noticed that nearly all of the boys in our playgroup are in a similar situation (14-16 months and not talking).

I wasn't worried about it because E can definitely hear us fine (he follows directions well), he is picking up sign language pretty well (so he understands the concept of communication), and he was an early walker (and isn't the general idea that kids are either early walkers or early talkers?). I had assumed that doctors would ask about it all the time because they don't want to miss any possible marker of a kid "falling behind" but after a few months of inundation with "he doesn't speak yet?" from people, info on the web, and his 15 month check up coming up (I know the ped will focus it on since she wasn't happy with his only saying one word at a year) I am starting to worry a bit.

I shouldn't really worry for a few more months, right?

Connor hardly spoke at all for ages, he wouldn't say 'mummy' or 'daddy' or any of the usual words by the time he was 19 months then all of a sudden his vocabulary just exploded at about 21 months and now at 26 months you can't get him to shut up. His favourite phrase at the minute is "oh for gods sake'.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Sometimes it surprises you how often you're feeding, I downloaded an app to track stuff with Ellie because she only put on an ounce this week and I wanted to work out exactly how much I fed before I started thinking about supplementing and I've fed her 14 times in the last 24 hours but if someone had asked me before how often I fed I'd have said 7 or 8 times.

Edit: Pictures of my very handsome and very monkey like toddler

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 13, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

TacoNight posted:

Can you give the bath and prepare the baby for bed while she does her other chores? This is the system we use, since my wife stays home with the baby. By the end of the day, my wife wants a non-baby task, and importantly, it makes sure I actually get some good baby time in the evening.

I was going to say that too, it sounds as though your baby is in one of the more intense phases with the clinginess and the grumpiness and it might be that your wife just wants to get away from him for a bit.

Also, and this might be completely wrong, but it might be that your wife is trying to force (not the right word exactly) some father baby time on you as she feels you don't spend enough time with your child. As I said that might be completely wrong but it's something that has come up recently in the parenting thread with mums feeling as though the dads are disconnected. If that is the case then doing stuff like TacoNight suggested like getting the baby ready for bed so your wife can have some child free time would be really nice.

If you've already suggested it and your wife has brushed it off then maybe frame it more as something you want to do for yourself and your relationship with your son rather than as a favour for her.

With the sex thing, it can take a long time to go back to normal libido wise. I've always had quite a high sex drive so it was a bit of a shock to completely not have one at all and find the thought of sex slightly distasteful.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

shadysight posted:

Zombiejesus, since talking to your wife about bath's worked out better than you expected, you might also want to talk to her about sex. It sounds like you have a similar experience to ours for the first year. Talking about it didn't really improve the situation much for us, but it did let my wife also express her frustration. The first year is just an exhausting mess, and even when people want to help out, all too often in our experience they'll want to do it at your home, where all the baby's stuff is. And we at least have never gotten quite blunt enough to tell people "No, go somewhere else with him. Our bed is here."

Talking about sex is good, but I'd maybe wait a little while until the new bath routine is going strong in case your wife thinks that the only reason you want to help is so she'll have sex with you (and I know thats not why but in a sleep deprived constantly stressed mind it might look that way). Also there's a chance that with you taking that job off her hands and doing something with the baby might let her feel more relaxed and up for it anyway.

VorpalBunny posted:

I just wanted to pipe in with an update on my super-skinny kid. It turns out I was slowly starving her, as my supply is less than she needs and she was happily wasting away. WHOOPS!

So we started supplementing her with formula and she's packing on the chub. 5 months, 12 1/2 pounds and gaining fast.

I honestly had to get over myself when it came to supplementing. I felt like I was a Super Mom for feeding my first kid with only my boobs, and if I had to add in formula with my second that somehow I was failing. I am still nursing, so she hopefully gets a lot of the good bits in breastmilk, but I also get to fatten her up and have other people feed her when I need a break. Plus, I can feed her on the go! I am getting good at feeding her while wearing her and browsing in a store or wandering around an amusement park.

Thanks for all the advice!

That's great that she is doing so well, and that you caught it early :)

And there's nothing wrong with supplementing (or full bottle feeding) at all, being a Super Mum is more than the power to squirt fluid from your boobs. Although now I've said that I would quite like to see a comic book character with that skill.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jun 14, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Lyz posted:

My husband jokes that he'll grow up thinking Christopher means "no, don't do that."

It's funny, but that's what my full name means to me. If someone calls me Jennifer rather than Jenny I immediately feel like I'm being scolded for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

VorpalBunny posted:

So my 2 1/2 year old son is now officially too active for his crib. He can climb in and out with ease, and he already has a toddler bed in his room that we haven't tried to move him to yet. Well, tonight's the night. Anyone have any advice about moving from a crib to a toddler bed? There is a gate on his door, so he can't get out in the middle of the night, and we plan to just put him back in the bed over and over and over again until he gets it. Are there any other tricks out there for this situation?

And for a future transition, we will eventually be putting his sister in the room with him. Anyone here have a toddler and an infant in the same room? Is it a disaster waiting to happen? When we put her in there, she'll be about 1 and he'll be 3.

Thats about the same age as Connor was when we changed him from cot in our bedroom to sleeping in a bed in a different room and he took to it fine, but it coincided with him giving up his daytime nap (unless he is really really tired) so I think that helped too - he was too sleepy to muck about. On days where he does have a nap there's definitely more getting up and wanting just one more story.