Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Attempt number 42 of potty training seems to have worked, we've been nappyless since Monday (apart from overnight) and apart from a couple of accidents the first time trousers were introduced he's been doing really well. The cue I used this time was I noticed him grabbing at his crotch every now and again when he was wearing nappies and thought maybe it was when he was peeing.

Dreading the first trip out though, we've been staying in or not venturing too far from the house (typical Scottish summer holidays weather).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

LuckyDaemon posted:

My son is a little over two.
Overall he's reasonably well-behaved (for a toddler), but lately we are dealing with him interrupting conversations. It's pretty embarrassing when he does it when I'm talking to the doc, for example. He does it to me and my husband all the time. He's very persistent and he will repeat himself a thousand times if we keep talking and ignore him. Any ideas?
I SAHM with him and I spend hours and hours a day focusing on him and speaking with him. It's definitely not a lack of attention. I can't even talk to my husband in the evenings or in the car without him trying to derail the conversation. My husband thinks it's because I generally give him too much undivided attention. I think it's because we've been dealing with up until now with "Nevermind, babe. Let's just talk after he's in bed" and he kind of wins.

It was particularly embarrassing at a doctor's visit yesterday where she was trying to speak and he just kept going and going and going. That's when it hit me that I better do something about it now.

I don't think it's down to anything you do with him, some kids just like talking. If I need Connor to shut up for a bit I'll give him paper and crayons or let him play on the tablet for a bit but really if there's someone new to talk to he just loves talking to them and telling them all the exciting stuff he knows. It's not something that really bothers me though (actually I like it because he's so clever), and most people understand that it's just what kids are like.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Volmarias posted:

Speaking of which, for those of you with both newborns and toddlers, how does the sleeping situation work out? I would expect that when the newborn wakes up every few hours screaming, it would wake up the toddler and make them grumpy an poorly rested. Do they just sleep through it instead?

Mine did, for a while we had a two year old in a cot and a newborn in a moses basket in our bedroom and Connor never woke up when the baby cried (though I would get her up and feed her as soon as she started grumping). But then Connor sleeps through most things which is probably why it wasn't any hassle keeping him in with us for so long.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My brother and sister in law just came up for a visit, as well as having a two year old who was born a week after Connor they also have another little girl who was born the week after Ellie. Ellie was born 6 weeks premature weighing 5lb and their baby was born 17 days late weighing 8lb 11oz so I was expecting there to be a massive difference in them but when we saw her she didn't seem that big at all. My sister in law had said that she'd got really miserable over the last month, basically screaming for hours a day for no reason. On Monday I suggested we went and weighed the babies at the drop in clinic and now there's only a pound difference between the two of them, their little girl has dropped from the 75% percentile to the 9th percentile so it turns out rather than screaming for hours a day for no reason it's because she wasn't getting enough milk :( My sister in law is devestated, she breastfed her oldest with no problems and I think it didn't even occur to her that there could be a problem, especially as the baby is sleeping through the night.

I've suggested the usual stuff, gave her my breast pump, told her to wake the baby for feeds, drink loads, etc but I feel a bit lovely and horrible about the whole thing. I felt guilty breastfeeding Ellie in front of her after we found out, my sister in law is so much more passionate about breastfeeding than I am and supplementing with bottles is really depressing her (as well as the fact her baby was screaming for food and she didn't realise). I always feel sympathetic when I read about people struggling with breastfeeding in these threads but seeing it first hand has been horrible.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Edit: ^^ My son slept through the night from 2 months and I didn't think much of it and didn't have a problem with feeding so I think it must vary a fair bit.

VorpalBunny posted:

I was in the same boat. I nursed my son no problems for 13 months, he was full and happy and healthy. My daughter was born bigger than my son, seemed to be progressing fine, then started dropping off in weight. I didn't think anything of it because she never complained. She rarely cries, sleeps through the night, and was still rather chubby. But, I just wasn't producing enough and I've started to supplement. She shot up from 11.5 pounds at her 4-month check-up to 16 pounds at her 6-month check-up. We still have a little more to add, but we're starting her on solids next week so we'll see how it goes.

I was pretty bummed to start adding formula, like I failed as a mom. But, she's happy and healthy as ever, and I can actually now leave her with grandparents and babysitters without a time constraint for nursing. I still nurse her in the mornings, evenings, and as much as I can during the day. But, in all honesty, adding formula to the mix has really made my juggling her and her toddler brother a lot more manageable. I can feed her with a bottle while she's in the stroller or carseat while entertaining my toddler. I can drop the bottle if her brother is acting up or something. It's been a tough pill to swallow, letting go of my mommy ideal of nursing for 12 months, but it has honestly worked out for the best. We've found some good deals on formula, and my pediatrician gave us a ton to start with, so it hasn't cost us much either.

It will likely be a hard thing for her to accept, but hopefully she finds a great formula her kid will respond well to and she comes to accept the many benefits of formula feeding.

I remembered you had had a similar problem, I'm really glad to hear that it is going well :)

skeetied posted:

Sleeping through the night early on can actually be problematic for milk supplies. The hormones that help govern supply are the most active between 2 am and 5 am, so feeding during that time does the most to maintain and boost supply. If a young baby (less than six months) is sleeping through the night, it's generally a good idea for mom to pump sometime in that time frame.

Thanks, I'd said to her that feeding through the night was important so I think she's waking her up for feeds now. When I was pumping for Ellie in special care they said to make sure to pump at least once between 12am and 5am, that must have been why.

frenchnewwave posted:

I had a terrible experience with breastfeeding, which I partly blame on the pediatrician. At V's first appointment when she was 3 or 4 days old, the ped became concerned that she had lost 8% of her weight. At the time I didn't realize this was normal because I was a new mom and sleep deprived and paranoid. The ped immediately told me that some women just can't breastfeed and I'm probably one of them. She said if the baby wasn't back to her birth weight by the weekend, then I'd have to feed her formula. So, I started supplementing because I felt so pressured. I wish I had waited a few more days, because it really did take a little while for my milk to come in, but I wonder if I would have started producing enough. But it was too late and she'd put enough doubt in my mind that I psyched myself out of it. She almost had me giving up on breastfeeding completely, but my husband was smart enough to urge me to keep at it.

On the plus side, V took to the bottle easily and when I went back to work and her dad/grandmom had to feed her, it was no problem.

It is really hard working out the good advice from the unnecessary. Ellie was pretty slow gaining weight at the start and the health visitor suggested supplementing but she just didn't seem to like bottles and would take half an hour to drink an ounce tops before getting ratty and refusing any more, wasn't upset in general and breastfed a lot so I didn't really push it too hard - she was putting on at least 4oz a week which is in the normal range if a bit on the low side.

The funny thing is as soon as she hit her due date her weekly weight gain doubled and after only gaining 13oz in the first six weeks she's put on another 4lb in the eight weeks since (and at 14 weeks is double her birthweight) and I've not changed anything.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 18, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

DwemerCog posted:

The pediatrician said my daughter was in the 25th percentile for weight which I guess is quite low, but didn't say whether that was a problem or not. My daughter seems quite long and skinny, she doesn't really have the plump "bouncing baby" look.

What was she when she was born? I think that it's more that they are progressing along the percentile (or going up) that the doctors look for. Connor is small and has been on the 9th percentile since he was born but that's just how he's made, whereas my niece was dropped from one of the top percentiles to the 9th.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

FishBulb posted:

Which one of you has experience with making your own baby food? I have an immersion blender and a food processor, would I be able to do it with that set up or should I get a food mill? Buying one of the baby food specific mills seems like a sucker deal, but I could justify a mill for other uses.

I used a food processor or a hand blender and they worked fine.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
This is really just a whine, but my 17 year old announced last night that he wants to go to Amsterdam with his friends for his 18th. I don't want him to go to Amsterdam, I barely even cope with him going to Glasgow for the day. I know as a parent I should be supportive and trust him to not do anything stupid, and he's going to be off to college or uni in a year anyway. But the thought of him being more than a car journey away terrifies me, I wish they stayed kids forever.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Toilet training is doing my head in. For the first month Connor was perfect, no accidents, absolutely fine. Then for the next month it was a bit hit and miss but overall not too bad. Then last week he got some horrible bug and was just lying on the sofa sleeping or not moving with a high temperature and bad cough so I put him in his pull up nappy pants that he'd been wearing at night during the day as well. But now he's better he just will not go on the potty or the toilet at all and doesn't even tell me when he has wet himself. I'm half thinking of putting him back in nappies for a bit then starting fresh in a month or so but I don't know. He is if anything worse now than when we started (at least back at the start he'd tell me if he was wet whereas now he's happy to sit in his own piss until I notice). I know rationally he's not peeing on the floor out of spite but when he does it less than a minute after you ask him if he needs a pee it's beginning to feel like he does just have it in for me.

Also does anyone have any tips on how to get a 4 month old to take a dummy. Ellie is just not interested but she does like to suck for comfort which means that I'm feeding her all the time. I don't really mind but then she pukes most of it back up again (she's gaining weight really well so I am pretty sure she is overfilling rather than it being another problem).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

Hookerbot, man, potty training can kiss my rear end. How old is Connor? It sounds like getting sick put him off his game. You could try going back to pull ups for a couple weeks and just encourage him to use the toilet--and let it go if he doesn't want to or make it. Tim was so recalcitrant about the whole thing (and still is!) At FIVE he will still poop in his pants because he waits until the absolute last minute to RUN to the bathroom and has been holding it in for so long he can't make it in time. He did this to me four days in a row a couple weeks back and I was about ready to kill him. So now we have a "try to poop every morning as soon as you wake up" rule, and he can't come down and get breakfast until he at least gives it an honest try. Not a sit there for two seconds and tell me he doesn't have to go, but a real try. He goes more often than not, and at least I feel reasonably confident he won't poop his pants at school then.

As far as the dummy goes, I dunno. My kids LOVED theirs (Liam still does), but I know some kids just don't ever seem to take to them. When Liam was born, the first thing he did was put his thumb in his mouth and go at it. I mean, he was less than an hour old, and we were in recovery and I had just unwrapped him a little bit to nurse him for the first time. As soon as he got his little hand free, he stuck his thumb up, and right into his mouth it went. :3: Then, I thought to myself, no way do I want the orthodontics bills of a thumb sucking child. And furthermore, how do you break them of it? It's not like you can take their thumb away! So from then on, every time he stuck his thumb in his mouth, I just gently removed his little hand and stuck in a num. Every time. He'd spit it out a lot, and go back to the thumb, but I'd just give him a num over and over and over. By about two months, he had forgotten about his thumb. So maybe just keep giving her one, over and over and over? Try a couple different shapes/brands/varieties? My kids always hated the ones from the hospital and liked the orthodontic, wide flat shaped nipples instead.

He's 2 and a half, so not a bad age or anything to not be toilet trained but it's just dispiriting when he seemed to grasp it so well and now it's like he's completely forgot (or decided that he doesn't care). And I know I'm meant to be all encouraging and say it doesn't matter but it gets hard to coo 'oh did you have another accident? That's absolutely fine' 7 times a day. Maybe I will go back to nappies for a bit, it's annoying to have to start again from the beginning but it doesn't look like I have any choice - he's regressed further than where we were at the start.

Connor was the same with dummies but with Ellie it's like she doesn't get how they work. I'll try a couple of different sizes but maybe it's just a lost cause :(

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I'm apparently hard at work turning my son gay again. On Monday we were running some errands, and we needed to get some pullups. I try to let him pick his own stuff, and this time, for whatever reason, he wanted the Disney princess girl ones (he also picked out a Thomas the Train picture book.) I know how his dad feels about these things, but completely forgot about it on Tuesday when his dad picked him up for dinner, and I got a sternly worded email afterwards.

The thing is, I really don't think preferring a colour sometimes or all the times has anything to do with sexuality, and even if it did, hooray for him. I am a little concerned though about how concerned his dad is about it. His nanny was telling me about how the other week she had to change his shorts because his dad felt they were too bright an orange colour and didn't want to take him out like that. Is it just me, or is his dad being a little odd?

Sounds like my father in law and I'm not sure if 'odd' is the right word, he's scared that pink will turn his little boy gay. Stupid is probably more accurate.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

DwemerCog posted:

I don't fancy the kind of carrier that requires you to tie things or wrap things (such as the mei tai) because I am all thumbs.

I was the same but got a mei tei for basically free and was surprised at how easy it is to use. I've got another one that's all buckles and straps and velcro but it doesn't feel as secure. If you can try one out without having to fork over cash I'd give it a shot - you might be surprised :)

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

At 20 months, E is showing some signs of being ready for toilet training. He sits on his potty when I am going, he asks for toilet paper to wipe himself when I do, and if he needs to pee while in the bath he requests a diaper.

Our problem is he doesn't want to actually go in his potty. When he requests a diaper during bathtime, I asked him to sit on the potty and he did. I explained that he is allowed to pee in the potty, but he wasn't having it. He was adamant that it had to be in a diaper. I assume this means he just isn't ready, but maybe other parents have suggestions on how I can convince him that the potty is an okay place to go?

It might be worth getting a toilet seat attachment thing so he is going in the same place you go - might not make any difference but my niece was like that, she hated using the potty and only wants to go on the grown up toilet. We have this one and it worked pretty well before COnnor had his toilet strike.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toddler-Potty-Training-Toilet-Ladder/dp/B006DLFHZS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377954728&sr=8-1&keywords=toilet+ladder

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Connors birthday is in January and I'm understanding now why I got such crappy presents when I was young (January birthday too) - it feels obscene buying him even more stuff when there's toys in his room from Christmas that he's not even opened and his drawers are bulging with new clothes he'll probably only wear once or twice. So so far his birthdays have been very low key, visits to grandmas for chocolate cake. But now he's getting old enough to appreciate it I'll definitely be throwing parties for him.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Vladimir Putin posted:

edit: Sorry to say this, but I wanted to kick him off his bike.

It's pretty normal to want to I think, I still remember the first kid who was mean to my son (15 years ago now) and seeing my happy charming confident baby look so confused and hurt by some horrible little turd being nasty to him for no reason - I wanted to punch him in the face.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Facing the choice to give up breastfeeding can be soul crushing, but sometimes it really is the best option. My sister in law was the epitome of breast feeding nazi (she once said people who didn't want to breastfeed shouldnt have children) but when her baby wasn't gaining weight because of problems with supply she started giving formula because sometimes it's the only choice to keep your baby healthy.

Switching to the recommended formula while pumping to maintain your supply for a week or so will at least let you know that it definitely is an allergy rather than something else going on.

Edit: On a more light hearted note, my son who is back on the potty training bandwagon just peed in the bumbo I bought for the baby. Close but no cigar.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Sep 18, 2013

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'm not an expert on allergies but if you have cut out soy and the baby is still passing blood in her stools could it not be that soy isn't the problem but something else?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

DwemerCog posted:

However I DO FOLLOW THIS DIET. I am not putting my baby in danger by eating milk or soy. Please understand this.

If you follow the diet but the problem is still there then maybe the diet is wrong?

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Does anyone have any tips on getting Sudocream out of hair? Or carpets for that matter.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Silly Hippie posted:

Hahaha oh my god. When the kid I babysit for decided diaper cream was sunscreen and smeared it all over himself, I ended up wiping him down with a washcloth soaked in olive oil before bathing him. The oil seemed to cut through the cream which was persistently resisting water and soap. Not sure if it would work for that exact cream (and he was quite bald at the time so hair was not an issue) but it's worth a shot? No idea about the carpet, good luck!

frenchnewwave posted:

Bhahaha!! This is fabulous. I mean, not for you, but such a funny picture. Maybe try baby wipes? When I slather diaper cream on V's butt at night, I wipe my hands with a wipe which seems to work better than soap and water. And I agree with olive/coconut/baby oil. Will probably help cut through everything.

Olive oil sounds like a plan - so far I've tried normal shampoo, soap free-shampoo, medicated shampoo and handwash and his hair is still grey and oily. Think might get a steam cleaner and try that for the carpet.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Hobo Erotica posted:

Any good ideas for what to get my parter who spends all day with our 4 month old boy for her 39th birthday?

She's very hard to buy for. There's two massages a nice dinner already but I want an actual gift too..

I'd say something completely unrelated to children, if you hadn't already said you were getting her massages I would have suggested a day out somewhere kind of thing.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

An Cat Dubh posted:

My son just turned six months old and I need to transition him from being exclusively breastfed to formula because of medical issues (my own). I've kind of half heartedly tried to give him a bottle two or three times before and he just chewed on the nipple. To complicate matters further, next week we are going out of the country for two and a half weeks on his first trip. I don't have a deadline for when he needs to be off the breast completely, but the sooner the better for my own health. Any advice?

Maybe try and get someone else to give him bottles for a couple of feeds first - Ellie won't take a bottle from me but she will from her dad.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
How do people deal with having 2 kids under the age of 3? At the moment doing anything social is hell, I take Connor to a couple of parent and toddler things and if he starts acting up I feel like there's nothing I can do because Ellie is so clingy if I put her down in the pram to try and stop Connor from running around/screaming/yelling at other kids when she immediately starts screaming too so there's two screaming children and parents look at me like I am a horrible mum. Is this normal, maybe I am a horrible mum. I feel bad for Connor because he's just little and I don't think his 'bad' behaviour is anything unusual but it feels like I can't deal with it properly because of the other screaming banshee. I don't want to stop taking him places but I can't leave the baby with anyone and I'm starting to dread going to classes because I know it's going to end up with lots of screaming and me feeling useless.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I've been using a Mei Tei wrap thingie for carrying her, she'll tolerate it but isn't hugely fond I don't think but it's worth a try. There's a more structured carrier kicking about the house somewhere which might work better.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

greatn posted:

Darn. Our baby is the same, but still sleeping very well. But he's only six months. I keep getting afraid his sleep is going to turn for the worse like a number of people here are experiencing, and am hoping him not having screen time would help. From every parent I've talked to it seems inevitable.

My baby is obsessed with the monocle guy from the New Yorker, cell phones, and empty wipes containers, and a fiesta ware box.

It really is the luck of the draw I think. My youngest was sleeping great but now won't sleep unless she's being breastfed, wakes up multiple times a night and is just generally rubbish at sleeping. But her lifestyle, feeding habits and day to day activities are pretty much identical to her big brother who slept through the night from 6 weeks. Sometimes it just happens (but sometimes it doesn't).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Chandrika posted:

I have a question about family finances. For those families with two parents working, how do you arrange how much and what either of you buy/pay for? And for those families with one income, who does the shopping/bill paying, and how do you reconcile the fact that one of you essentially has no money of your own? I didn't mean the second option to sound harsh, but it is the position that I find myself in right now.

I'm in a similar situation as you, my partner works and I stay at home with the children and weirdly we were talking about this in the car home half an hour ago.

In addition to his salary we also get tax credits and child benefits (benefits in the UK for families). All the money that comes in goes into shared accounts and we have two accounts - one for paying bills and one for weekly shopping/kids school money/general frittering. I sort out what goes where from both sources and my husband will not get involved with money at all, he won't even remember the pass number for the banking app I put on his phone for him because he'd rather phone me to ask if we have enough if he wants to spend anything out of normal. It makes life easier although it can be a bit frustrating (like when I had to pay bills and check account balances from the hospital when I was stuck there for weeks) and I'm sure it could look as though I am sponging off him.

If I were you I would wait until you are both calm and have a serious conversation about the best way to handle money. People say really lovely things sometimes that they don't mean at all. If you do decide that both of you working is the best thing for the family and you find something that works in with your health and childcare requirements don't get stuck paying all of the expenses related to the children. That's something I see a lot of in couples with children I know who don't have shared finances.

greatn posted:

We both put half our paychecks in a joint account and half in our personal. All mortgage, groceries, utilities, and group stuff comes from the joint, while personal trips to restaurants, video games, or own clothes, etc come out of our personal accounts.

That was my original plan but when my husband went to the bank to set up the direct debit he got confused about something and decided it would be less hassle to get his boss to pay his wages into the joint account. Once he'd done that it made more sense to pay my salary in too (that's when I was still working) and use my old account as the spending money account after adding him on.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Chandrika posted:

We only use my partner's accounts right now, in his name.

Good luck with the chat, I hope it goes well. One thing I'd say though is that if you aren't already a named person on bank accounts or utilities it might be an idea to bring that up when things have calmed down. When my dad died my mum was hosed for a while because no one would speak to her about any of the existing stuff as it was all in dads name and then when she tried to take out new contracts for the phone or something the company wouldn't give her one because she didn't have a credit history after everything being in my dads name for the last 15 years.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
He doesn't get it. He's not really capable of getting it. Hitting is comparatively easy--it's concrete, he can see the [bad] results, and he knows it hurts to be hit. Words are so esoteric. My kids both picked up bad words [yes, from me--gently caress and 'god-dannut' specifically] and they do not sound like sailors now. First of all, I would try not acknowledging it, and since it's not in your home lexicon, they may just fade on their own. Next, if it persists, you can just off-handedly say something like, "Oh, "hate" is such a mean word; it hurts our feelings. You can say you 'don't like' something instead." Or encourage him to replace the offending word with something nonsensical and silly instead--a goofy word may have more appeal anyway. Fiddlesticks! Biscuit-buttons! But don't try to make a big deal of it--it will backfire. I wouldn't try to make him feel 'bad' since it's just not something he's developmentally capable of with regards to the power of words. You would have better luck explaining why telling someone their kid isn't cute isn't appropriate (it can clearly hurt someone's feelings, and he can understand that if the situation was flipped to be about someone telling you that he wasn't cute.) But trying to explain why "Jesus!" is rude is so much more nebulous, since there isn't a real concrete context he can get--it's just another seemingly arbitrary adult rule.

Also, I don't know what you are assuming about daycare, but the language was just as likely (if not more) to as come from the other kids as the teachers. It would be worth a mention next time you have a meeting or whatever with his teachers that he's picked up some rude language, just so they're aware and can keep a sharper ear on the toddler chatter.

My toddler has picked up some pretty bad words from me too, mainly I think from being in the car when I was learning to drive. We tried redirectioning so when he said something that sounded suspiciously like 'loving hell' we said 'flipping heck!' and kept repeating that. He tells us he hates us all the time though :( I don't know if it's having lots of older brothers, having a younger sibling at an age where he still needs a lot of attention or any of the other differences but he is so much more rambunctious and rude than the others were and every 'I hate you mummy, sooo much' feels like a reminder that with the baby I can't spend as much time devoted to him as I wish I could.

Also he has picked up the insult 'stupid meatbag' and calls everyone that. I have no idea where from but I suspect his big brother.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

AlistairCookie posted:

/\/\
Aww, he doesn't really hate you. I'm sure you know not to take it personally (but that sucks to hear, I know.) "Stupid meatbag" is a hilarious insult, however.

Merry Christmas, y'all.

Thanks :)Rationally I know he doesn't but lack of sleep and feelings of guilt make me wonder sometimes.

Molybdenum posted:

Assassin droid from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg1gTas7OAA

Proof that video games will corrupt youth.

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope santa was good to you all

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
Isn't grabbing things and hitting stuff just what babies do with their hands? My kids have all happily pulled hair, poked eyes etc when they were little babies and I always put it down to them working out how their hands work and generally being excited to touch stuff rather than violent tendencies.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I don't think a big age gap really matters too much, I'm closest to my sister and there's 6 years between us and with my kids there's a 6 year age gap and they get on okay (but it's true that they rarely played together).

Personally I found three was worse than two but then four is exactly the same as three except you need a bigger car. The biggest difference was between one and two though.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My kid covered himself in sudocreme, I posted a picture in the thread, it took about a week of constant washing with a variety of different products before his hair stopped being oily grey.

When I was young I remember cutting the tips of my fingers playing with my uncles razor and then leaving little crescent marks of blood all over the wallpaper in my aunts house. It's probably one of my earliest memories - can't remember it hurting, just that I liked the shape it made.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

King Ramses posted:

I have a one and a half year old that books have described as "spirited". Very outgoing. Loves new people. Smart enough to get into a lot of trouble. Where he has been ahead of the curve learning everything else, he's having problems with talking. We're still at the babbling stage. "Dadadadada". We've had his ears checked and they're fine. He understands speech fine ("Pick up the blue block, not the yellow block.") It's just the talking. He refuses to say even the most simple words.

Any suggestions? His grandmother is going on and on about how he's going to be learning impaired and in developmental classes if he doesn't start talking.

I would try and not worry too much, Connor was hardly saying anything at the same age (not even mum and dad) and for a month or two after. Then about twenty months his vocabulary exploded and he was saying loads of new words every day. I don't know if it's just an old wives tale that babies who walk early talk late and vice versa but it was true for us.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Brennanite posted:

Let's talk potty training. I'm really frustrated and thinking that maybe my son is just not ready. He's 2.5 yrs old, will tell you if he's peed or pooped (as he's going), and will pee happily if you set him on the potty. But he won't tell you if he has to go or if you leave him bare-bummed, he will go where ever he is--even if the potty is right there--and doesn't seemed bothered by it. He's mad he doesn't get a sticker, but that doesn't translate into him trying to make it to the potty. He doesn't want to wear diapers, but again, will pee in his pull-ups or big boy underwear. I set up a sticker chart with a sticker for every time he peed or pooped in the potty; 5 stickers=happy meal, 10=toy car, 15=new book, a whole day=going to the Lego movie. He was enthusiastic for the first hour and loved getting his stickers, but after ninety minutes, he stopped even trying to go and started asking for stickers whenever he went, regardless of whether it was in the potty.

Ugh, sorry for the wall of text, I'm just so sick of having to do combat to put a diaper on him AND having to clean up puddles of pee constantly.

We had a couple of false starts potty training Connor before he got it, then when we tried he just got it and that was that. On the false starts he would pee in his potty a couple of times (usually because I'd parked him on it for just the right time) but most of the time he would just pee wherever he was and being wet/dirty didn't bother him. The time that it stuck he was just ready for it but I don't think there were any particular signs beforehand so we just had to give him go and see whether he could cope or not. Even though he's been potty trained for a good few months now he'll still regress occasionally and have entire days where he pees in his pants all the time but it's getting fewer and futrther between (the last time was about a month ago now).

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I'm having issues with all my kids at the moment, if anyone has any advice on any of them that would be great because I feel like I'm drowning sometimes.

Youngest (10 months) won't sleep. She's a little witch determined to keep me awake for at least 20 hours a day. I don't even know how she manages to cope with so little sleep herself but she's thriving. She's breastfed and won't take a dummy so I'm not sure how much of the night feeding is for comfort or for sustenance but she's gone not even being on the growth chart at all (premature) to the 50th centile so it's not like she's struggling for food. Sometimes I try the comfort her then put her back down, or sitting beside her cot while she whines but her stamina is greater than mine and I end up giving in beforee she does. I don't really want to let her cry because discounting all the issues around it there are 2 kids and a husband who need to go to school/work and being kept up all night would be poo poo for everyone. Co-sleeping isn't great because she wakes up multiple times and tries to crawl out of the bed.

Second youngest (3 years) won't eat. He's never had a great appetite but I swear now he's living on 4 fromage fraie a day. He doesn't want anything you offer to him good or bad and short of force feeding him I don't know what to do except wait it out.

Second oldest (11 years old) being bullied. He doesn't want me to talk to the school because he says it'll make it worse but should I do it anyway? I'm scared if I do then he'll stop telling me anything, there's a good chance the school won't do anything anyway especially as the worst of it seems to be when he's walking down the road to catch the bus afterwards. Also I feel like it's a bit my fault. He was friends with the horrible kids but he wasn't happy because they would single out members of the gang to be mean to and he didn't like feeling like he was being horrible to others and obviously didn't like it when it was his turn to be the target. The latest target was a kid that he gets on really well with so I told him that he shouldn't abandon his good friend for a bunch of friends that were going to do exactly the same to him in a few weeks. So he didn't and joined the ostracised group and now they get followed round being taunted by the lovely little bastards. I kinda wish I could just go and slap them all but that's probably illegal.

Oldest (17 years old) I just don't know any more. Typical teenage stuff and the uncertainty it all creates, also he's an argumentative toerag at times and that ends up with him and his step dad shouting at each other and I hate it more than anything in the world. He also got caught with a bag of weed which is going to affect his university plans as he wants to do something that requires police checks.

Sorry about the wall of text.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

We didn't want to do cry-it-out at all, but we ended up resorting to it because she just would not let herself be comforted. We tried everything, but she just got more agitated. Eventually we figured that well, since she cries for hours when we're in there with here, we can try to let her cry when we're not.
So we did the cry it out with regular visits to pat her head and let her know we're there, but that she's in her bed now and nothing is going to change that. First night she cried for 40 minutes, which was still over an hour shorter than on every night the previous week, the next she cried for 15 minutes, and now she basically just goes "wah!" and nods off. If she's had a rough day she'll sometimes cry for 5-10 minutes, but it's nothing like the screamfests we had when we tried to soothe her to sleep.

So if you've tried everything else, trying cry it out for a couple of nights might be worth a try. We didn't want to do it, but it turned out to be what our baby needed - she just got more worked up with us in the room.

The trouble is it's not just one part of the evening, it's all night. She is waking up every hour to 90 minutes then either cries if she is in her cot until I take her into the bed to feed her or just wakes up to stick her fingers in our eyes/try to crawl out of the bed if she is already there. Sometimes feeding her will distract her from the suicide mission and make her go back to sleep, sometimes not. She actually goes to bed pretty well, I take her up at half seven and feed her then put her in the cot and if she's still awake she'll fall asleep with me sitting beside the cot with my hands on her tummy. The problems start about midnight. Sometimes I'll go to bed at half seven with her but that means I miss out on helping the older kids with homework/tidying/all the other crap I'm meant to do.

greatn posted:

You obviously can't go intimidate a bunch of kids, but maybe your seventeen year old could. That's part of what big brothers are for.

How badly does the weed thing affect university plans? That's unfortunate, did he have to go to jail at all? Community college should still be an option, and that arrest won't look so bad in ten years or so once weed is probably decriminalized.

I did think about it but in Scotland he's classed as an adult and however bad a little lump of grass looks getting cautioned for intimidating kids would be a hell of a lot worse. And these kids are little shits, they really are. They would laugh in his face and call him a oval office then go home and tell their mums that some big boy was mean to them.

He got a warning and a £75 fine which is considered pretty light. The only reason it's a problem is because he wants to do sports coaching and as that can involve working with children they have to get a PVG disclosure which is like a police check that records all interactions the individual has had with the police. He could do something else but the way the university entrance stuff works here it's too late for this year at least.

Edit: My oldest isn't a bad kid. He's an idiot and a bit lippy lately but he's not bad. His school reports are always glowing, he's stuck in to the end of sixth year unlike a lot of his friends, he's been volunteering with a local swimming class for a couple of years and has been working part time as well for the last six months.

hookerbot 5000 fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Feb 23, 2014

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Sockmuppet posted:

Oh man, that sounds horrible. Has it been going on for long? I've only had this one kid for 7,5 months, so I'm a total noob, but the main lesson I've learned about babies is that everything is a phase. All our troubles have passed at some point (to be replaced by other troubles, but still). Hopefully you'll get more normal nights soon.

Oh, does she eat well? My kid is normally a great sleeper, but if she's eaten poorly, she wakes up more frequently without fail. That's all I've got :shrug:

She seems to eat okay, not a huge fan of solids but I can usually get at least two out of three meals into her. She's a wee chunk too now which is a bit surprising seeing as she was only 5lb when she was born and took forever to get back to her birth weight. I guess it's just going to have to be wait it out but I can't say how much I'm looking forward to getting out from under the cloud of constant exhaustion.

It's funny though, by the time you get to kid 4 you think you'll know what you're doing but they are all so different.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
My 17 year old was worried about a sexual issue last night and he came and spoke to me and his step father, and we had an unembarassing adult conversation about it and gave him advice. Probably doesn't sound like a big deal but it was one of the things I'd always worried about dealing with as a parent as my mum wouldn't even talk to me about periods, never mind sex in all its glory. I am so glad that not only does he feel comfortable enough to talk about stuff like that but I could speak about it and help him without feeling embarassed and wanting to run away.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

photomikey posted:

I realize I asked a question and the hivemind has answered, but I want to re-state just for the sake of clarity. I am at home and do a bedtime story 28 nights out of every 30. On the 2-3 nights a month I'm not at home, I was generally home the night before and I'll generally be home the night after. I realize my dislike for the Skype thing is unfounded, but just to clarify, everybody thinks I should suck it up and do it, and not blow it off that one or (occasionally two) nights I'm gone?

I would say yes. It's a really small thing to do to keep the peace in the house and refusing to do it just means your wife has to deal with an upset child.

When it's your wife that's away does she want to skye with your daughter or does she not like it either? How well does your daughter cope with you saying no - does she calm down straight away and forget about it or does she bring it up a lot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Lyz posted:

I have a 10 month old who absolutely refuses the bottle (can't be fed anything either, she hates hates hates it when you try to put anything in her mouth) so I haven't had more than a few hours off from my children since she's been born. It wears you down.

Same, except mine is over a year. She's starting to eat more solids so daytime isn't quite so bad but she is still up every couple of hours through the night. If my first kid had been like that I probably wouldn't have had any more.