Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Proud dad of a 10 day old poop monster. Her current thing is pooping, laying still just long enough that we think she’s done, then letting round 2 fly when we get the dirty diaper off and are putting the new one on. It’s hilarious, but will be less funny once we’ve worked our way through the supply of gifted diapers.

My wife is a drat warrior. We were very literal with our doctor’s instructions to not come in until contractions were 5 minutes apart, 1 minute long, and keeping that frequency for 1 hour, so we left for the hospital much later than we really should have. My wife was *9cm* dilated when we got to labor and delivery, and the delivery team was amazed at how she was still being kind and polite to everyone. Labor started maybe 20 minutes after the epidural went in, which was much too close for comfort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My kid is getting chunkier and seems to make a new chin between each bath. I love that she’s gaining weight, but don’t love when we get a niiiiice big stretch and suddenly a new fold opens up and hits my nostrils with a “surprise! I got in town yesterday and have already made great friends with all this overflow milk and spit!”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My 2.5 year old is having some potty training regression after a routine change and a UTI. Antibiotics knocked out the infection but it’s been a week since the last #2. All she wants to do is lay around to take pressure off and isn’t eating well because she feels full.

We’ve been pretty indulgent because it sucks seeing her miserable, but tomorrow we’re doing a normal routine to see if moving around and going places helps reset the system. A heat index in the 105s is making it tricky to get outside and run around.

Genetics are at play - my in laws both got the 1000 yard stare of repressed memories flooding back when we mentioned the issue.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

My 2.5 year old is having some potty training regression after a routine change and a UTI. Antibiotics knocked out the infection but it’s been a week since the last #2. All she wants to do is lay around to take pressure off and isn’t eating well because she feels full.

We’ve been pretty indulgent because it sucks seeing her miserable, but tomorrow we’re doing a normal routine to see if moving around and going places helps reset the system. A heat index in the 105s is making it tricky to get outside and run around.

Finally had success and holy cow I forgot how much stuff a toddler can get into in a short amount of time. Even with a short nap and minimal eating my kid regained the energy to take out every single book, toy, and cooking utensil that’s not in a locked cabinet.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

You have my sympathy, "Kid is better, parent(s) still sick" is the worst part of the illness cycle.

We’re finishing this part up after a post-preschool-Halloween party case of Toddler Gunk. Non-COVID but still not fun.

The anticipation of knowing what’s coming when you feel fine and the kids are declining is also a crappy feeling. Just waiting for that first cough or sniffle to bring you down.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I’m on the hunt for gift recs for my wife who currently stays at home with our 2 kids. I’m luckily still mostly WFH and help out during the day, but she bears the brunt of everything.

Naturally the best gift is alone time to be a functional adult somewhere quiet, but I want that to be an implicit gift that comes with other nice things. She got Airpods for her birthday which was a big win - she’s gotten through more books this year than the last 5 years combined.

A cozy long sleeve shirt is a top priority this year. She’s constantly layered up at home because either the AC is on or we keep our heat set to 70 or below.

Democratic Pirate fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 16, 2023

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our household contribution to the family thanksgiving table is pies and my oldest is so loving hyped to help make a practice pie this weekend. It’s incredibly adorable.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We had two good doctor’s visits (checkups/all-clears) yesterday and decided to swing by the new ice cream stand on the way home to celebrate.

At 4:30pm.

My oldest is almost 3 and the kid size was 2x the normal scoop she gets and came loaded with m&ms.

As you can imagine, she was too full for dinner and had an epic hanger+sugar crash tantrum at bathtime. Luckily we had a hard boiled egg on hand to stabilize things through bedtime.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My kid is all about her kitchen platform and having a “grown up standing meal.”

It’s a win when she eats a thin slice of apple at the table. Last night she ate a whole honeycrisp while hanging out in her platform while we cooked dinner.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Our household contribution to the family thanksgiving table is pies and my oldest is so loving hyped to help make a practice pie this weekend. It’s incredibly adorable.

Making the pie was just as adorable as expected but came with some latent control freak tendencies on my end.

Flour flying out while stuff is getting whisked is expected, I can handle that. What I need to work on is not over-correcting when my kid’s thumb leaves a long divot in the pie dough we’re rolling out.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Renegret posted:

That's what we did. They make baby toothbrushes that are dirt cheap and it can't really hurt, as long as you supervise. Though what it sounds like he really needs is a teether, kind of like this thing

https://a.co/d/elHNMQy

Seconding the banana. Starts off as a tooth brushing, seamlessly segues into a “oh this will keep you quiet and in one spot for a few minutes” distraction.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

In front of you is two doors.

The first opens to a world where you poop right when you need to before going back to life as normal.

The second opens to a world where you hold in your poop for 3+ days, get more irritable each day, tank multiple meals, and spend hours laying around the house feeling bad before finally pooping. Then immediately bounce back like nothing happened.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

First kid was avent only, second is dr brown. Both work fine.

Getting a cleaning service has got to be my #1 “if you can afford it” recommendation for new parents. We do monthly and it’s a great feeling to have that deep clean taken off our hands.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s going to be great when the bottles go away and we get the upper rack of our dishwasher back.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Renegret posted:

And the monkey paw curls

My dishwasher is actually easier to load today.

Because my oldest isn’t eating after woking up with a fever and signs of strep throat, yippee!

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We got a special message from Idina Menzel thanking us for liking her music.

Jokes on you, that was all from early 2023. Late this year has been Tangled, Encanto, and the Tarzan soundtrack because daddy controls the bathtime music and Phil Collins went way harder than necessary for that movie.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

John Romero posted:

I honestly loved bottle cleaning time. It was a solid hour that nobody bothered me, my kids were good sleepers so I would take an edible and listen to a podcast and just go to town

The issue we have with bottle/hand washing is the cracked hands. It’s better now we’re out of the newborn stage, but for a while both our hands were canyons of cracks and bottles of lotion were the only thing keeping them intact.

It is nice to throw on a podcast or YouTube video and blast through some cleaning, though apparently I have issues when anyone tries to talk to me during that time. In my defense, it’s hard to have a conversation over running water and pausing a video with wet hands is really annoying.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

So,

uh,

how does one go about getting a vasectomy

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yep

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

We’re multiple days in to a hospital stay for a UTI that wouldn’t quit last week. Saline drip + better antibiotics seem to have kicked the worst of it. The remaining challenge is how long it takes hospitals to process everything, especially when you have a 3yo who is feeling better and you don’t want them to rip their IV out on accident. 3rd parent iPad is pulling heavy duty right now.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Our plan for grandparents slowly learning to watch the baby went out the window with the hospital stuff. They drove in expecting a kid’s birthday party only to get a baby thrown in their arms with a rough schedule of bottles and naps to go off of. Sounds like everyone made it through though.

The nurses got my girl an Elsa doll since it’s her birthday weekend. Very sweet gesture, but now we have to figure out what to do with the exact same doll sitting in our Christmas hiding closet at home. Really thought we were avoiding the holiday shopping crowds this year.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My oldest wants to fly her get well soon hot air balloon to the “hospital” and has fun giving her stuffed animals a checkup, so hopefully we avoided any fallout for future doctors visits.

I got my wife a nice comfy shirt to wear, per her request, as an anniversary present a few weeks back. Cream colored. Today was her first time to wear it. The shirt lasted all of 5 minutes before the baby smashed her face into a bar of her crib and left a sneaky schmear of blood on it.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Someone else in our family needs to make some freaking kids. Mine are currently the only ones on both sides and the amount of presents they get is absurd.

I totally get not wanting to have kids or not get in that stage of life, but drat I’m running out of floor space here.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Two things are absurd:
1 - how easy it is to get annoyed at parental humblebragging on social media. Yes I’m sure your outings are fun, Cathy, you always have at least one set of grandparents with you who take point on baby wrangling.

2 - how good Bluey is. Sometimes I learn more than my kid does.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

When my 3yo is refusing to get up from her activity, one thing I do is leave the room, close the door, and knock. It used to be a guaranteed way to get her to open the door and find me.

Today she ran up and locked the door. Time to get some keys stashed on top of key door frames.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I always ripped through the presents to see what everything was, then prioritized playtime accordingly. My wife took her time unboxing each gift as it was unwrapped before moving on.

My kids inherited my wife’s preferences and it’s killing me to be maybe 30% done at 2:30 in the afternoon. Oh well, half the stuff is going in the closet to be doled out during the year anyway.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My parents like to repay us for hosting by cleaning up the kitchen while we’re doing bedtime with the kids. It’s much appreciated even though it takes some time after they leave for all the utensils to find their proper homes. Outside of the obvious plates and bowl spots, stuff can end up anywhere.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

When all you have is a tube of max strength desitin, everything looks like a rash.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My 3yo likes late naps. With a mandatory snack+show afterwards, she’s not ready to go outside and play with the neighbors until they’re heading inside for dinner and there’s 15 minutes of light left.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Being the lame parents who try to get their kids in bed at a reasonable time while the neighbors all hang out, shoot fireworks, and watch their older kids play glow stick hide n seek is, well, lame.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Unfortunately we live somewhere fireworks are legal in a neighborhood so the booms right outside the window kept our oldest awake till 10:30-11pm. Happy, luckily, she liked the whistling fireworks the best. She’s also learned the “daddyyyyyy I need to go potty” get out of bed free card which is cute but infuriating.

We’ve always been a night owl family. We can get our oldest in bed by 8:30 but are lucky if she’s asleep by 9:30. We’ll make a concerted effort to shift schedules earlier when she starts school.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My kids are small and the only time the pediatrician showed concern was if their growth dropped off the growth curve for their percentile. Both times it was because their milk protein allergy manifested and switching to alimentum got them back.

My youngest drinks a ton of formula and is a pretty good eater yet still hovers in the 11th percentile. Nothing you can do when she’s on the go nonstop.

Praying for my first “pay raise” in a few months if we can get off alimentum and the $$$ it adds to our grocery bills.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Ha ha ha holy hell medical bills are a racket. The ER designation tacks a 0+ on the end of the charges for the same procedures the pediatrician does in the other wing of the same building.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

My neighborhood needs better park options. It’d be great if my wife had a meet-cute with another mom and set up weekly vent sessions. I’m always there for support, especially since I WFH, but sometimes you need the catharsis of a neutral third party.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

20 week ultrasound tech: one kidney is a bit larger than the other. Nothing major, will probably resolve on its own. We’ll do a quick follow up to confirm it’s in tolerance.

3 years later: Vesicoureteral reflux and hydronephrosis kidney hits us with an RKO out of nowhere.

Holding a screaming 3yo with an iron bladder down on an X-ray table while cajoling them to pee is quite the experience. Somehow she heard and remembered the 4 different treats we promised during the ordeal.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

It’s fun to go back and look at newborn photos without the haze of newborn emotions. Back then I thought every picture was the cutest thing anyone could ever see.

Now it’s more like “yeah my kid was…cute…”

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Shalhavet posted:

Happy new Bluey day. I'll just be crying over Cricket and Dragon, don't mind me.

I made the mistake of throwing on a random Bluey episode while in a most sleep deprived state holding a sleeping 1 month old and my toddler playing next to me.

The episode was Grandad.

The ending line of that episode knocked me out for 20 minutes.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Lobsterpillar posted:

This is pretty good general advice (especially with kids)

It’s part of why my long term plan involves a visit to Medieval Times when we take the kids to visit family in a city that has one. Only worry is them getting way too into horses

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Dark Lord of Derkholm is a YA fantasy book I remember quite fondly. Quick google shows the range as 8-12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Oh man I should use Redwall in case my kids are still picky when they start reading it. Brian Jacques was big on the meal descriptions.