Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Lotta logistics/distribution companies are hiring as well as grocery stores. Making $12/hr (my area) at Kroger with risk of coronavirus is probably better than making $0/hr.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

life is killing me posted:

I give up. I don’t understand why the gently caress I can’t get this kid to even sleep in by 15-30 minutes when he takes a billion years to fall asleep. JUST loving SLEEP IN, WHAT IN THE loving WORLD DO YOU NEED TO DO THAT YOU GOTTA WAKE UP EARLY FOR?! JUST. SLEEP.

friend you consistently seem to expect your child to operate by rules of reason and logic which is never gonna happen. your kid is not a rational actor. being a kid is hard, they aren't doing this to spite you.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

:therapy:

edit: terrible snype. you should get therapy if you are not already, and if you are, make sure you talk about this specifically.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

killer crane posted:

but in the end your kid might date a motorcycle-man or get a stupid degree, and you might have to accept them regardless. parenting sucks.

if that's the worst outcome that occurs for you, you've done well

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

At what point are they going to build cars where all the passenger seats face backwards

I'm a little surprised that minivans don't come with the option to mount the rear bench in the middle, backwards, and the captains chairs in the rear, also backwards. Little fuckers are probably a lot more bearable on long car rides when they're in the back of the van screaming into a wall rather than your ear

Model S offered third row rear facing seating for short kids up to...5'4"? But I think that's since been discontinued? We were looking at the Model S used as a kid carrier but you can't retrofit jump seats, it has to be ordered from the factory

This article has some decent photos of it in use

https://www.google.com/amp/s/electrek.co/2019/09/17/tesla-model-s-2020-plaid-rear-facing-seats-elon-musk/amp/

The seat, seatbelt, headrest, and other supplemental restraint systems are very carefully designed to work in one direction - where your body continues forward against the seatbelt and the pretensioner holds you in place, and pushes you back in to the seat as the headrest moves forward to prevent your head from whiplashing back too much. When you turn the seat around, the systems do not work in the same way. That's why configurable seats don't really exist anymore. Back when they were a thing, engineering for safety was also not really a thing!

The reason rear-facing seats have mostly gone away, with the exception of special order Volvo V90/V90XC, MB E-Class, and the Model S is that they're not all that safe. Smaller kids are better off in boosters front facing surrounded by side curtain airbags within the primary safety cage of the car. Take a look at a rear-end collisions in Model S. The passenger compartment is intact, and if your kid was in a booster they would be fine, maybe some bumps and bruises. Then look at the trunk area where the rear facing seats would be. Your kid would quite literally be dead.

tl;dr: don't put your kids in rear-facing vehicle seats

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Euros somehow manage to cart their kids around in like Ford Fiestas and poo poo, somehow having kids gives Americans car brain worms

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Alterian posted:

Its cool how if my sister in law wants to come to the park with us we have to take two cars because a third adult can't physically sit in the back seat between two car seats even though its supposed to be a 5-seater car and none of us are fat.

this is a good reason to spend 40 thousand american dollars, yes

BadSamaritan posted:

Euro car markets also focus a lot more on having a variety of small cars with practical interiors, unlike the US market which jettisons small hatches and compact sedan models every chance it gets, and only really keeps them around as the budget option.

the Fiesta was the same in both markets when it was on offer! euros are just different about cars and kids.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Super Slash posted:

Eh we're not entirely immune, we've had a two door ford fiesta for a good few years and it's worked pretty well with two kids. However we did recently "upgrade" to a four door ford focus because A: twisting yourself into the back seats to sort the kids out sucks, and B: we needed a bigger boot/trunk.

I like the idea of the Focus as the "big car" when the :911: in this thread are talking about stuff that is like, 20" longer, being Too Small

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hadlock posted:

I'm not interested in making absolute statements, and did my best not to make any, but thanks for insinuating as much

yeah its a loving lovely take mate

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Hell yeah your kid rocks

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Yeah once we pushed bedtime back for our kiddo, bedtime is a bit easier. He was always awake until like 8:15 no matter what so we didn’t wanna force it anymore. No more sitting in the dark behind him waiting for him to go to sleep, no more patting his back forever. Kinda goes against the grain, or what I always assumed was the grain: that they go to sleep when we decide it’s time, and it needs to be as early as possible. In reality that isn’t true we’ve found.

In other news, I pulled up to daycare this morning and parked next to a BMW Z4 with a car seat in it. You may know this car as an expensive convertible sports coupe, so the only place to put the car seat is in front because there is no back seat. Dude had the top down too. I hate getting judgey as a parent but wtf? At the point we had our first, the time for expensive car toys that are exceedingly unsafe went out the window, not that I could have afforded a car like that even if I wanted it. Not sure how this computes in that dad’s brain

you can disable the air bag when you put a car seat in on that car and i doubt it's all that much less safe than whatever you are driving

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

With the convertible top down, tho?

Not entirely sure, but the convertible top was down and I like convertibles as much as the next person...but the mechanics of a crash seem not awesome even though I admit I don’t know how safe a convertible car really is or isn’t when it comes to a potential crash.

Fair enough, but (see above) left a bad taste in my mouth for some reason and my mind went right to silently judgey.

It probably is safer than my ten year-old Acura, though at least I feel safer in a not-convertible so perhaps my feelings of this being in poor taste are mostly just due to lack of actual experience crashing in a convertible. I have no idea what would actually happen if a convertible crashes or how safe a baby would be in a rollover especially, but still. Bad taste.

Like, I get maybe that was his only option today. Maybe his daily driver is in the shop or whatever.

I am going to resurrect annoying car chat because I think it's important to consider that people not judge other people's parenting skills and capabilities, especially if it's completely not fact based! Saying poo poo like "I feel that this parent was being irresponsible because i feel that thing X is unsafe" is unhealthy.

Convertible tops do jack poo poo to prevent injury. They keep the rain out. Modern convertibles have either fixed or pop-up anti-roll bars that protect the seats and the occupant's head. The windshield frame is heavily reinforced. Crash performance is pretty good in modern convertibles. You are somewhat more likely to be ejected in a rollover accident - about 45% versus about 35% in a non-convertible, which does make them more dangerous. However, assuming that the child is in a car seat secured by LATCH anchors, which are standard on the Z4 at least, the mechanism for securing the child and the seat is exactly the same as in any other car, so the risks of ejection are negligible (and bouncing around inside the cabin of a normalcar if the LATCH anchors fail is also likely to be severely injurious or fatal to the child.)

Here's what the IIHS has to say: https://www.iihs.org/news/detail/crash-statistics-show-no-added-risk-for-convertibles

So yes, there's some small incremental risk in a rollover accident. But, only 2% of total accidents involve any kind of roll-over. And you are far less likely to get in a roll over accident in a convertible! More mass, and a low center of gravity, means that convertibles are extremely hard to roll. Rates of fatal rollover accidents are roughly 2x higher for light trucks and SUVs versus passenger cars, and although there are not any statistics tracked specifically on convertibles, you can pretty well assume that they perform as well or better than passenger cars.

Assuming that the Z4 is new, in addition to significant advancements in metallurgy and unibody construction that make the car safer, it also will come with a host of active and passive safety features standard that will reduce the severity of an accident and the accident's effect on occupants. It is likely to be more safe than your ten year old Acura in every possible way.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

davebo posted:

But is it inherently less safe just being in the front passenger seat because it's a two seater or is the only reason we put kids in the back because the front airbag can be dangerous, even though you can manually disable it nowadays?

If you have one child (or one car seat), you are supposed to put them in the rear middle, since that is the actual safest point on the car. But the front seat vs outboard rear seats thing is due to airbags.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I’ll totally own being a little judgey and ignorant. Of course the only place I’ve breathed a word of it is here, but you’re right—it’s not necessarily healthy. I shouldn’t have brought it up at all.

nah it's all good, it's a good discussion! being a parent does not mean you automatically have to give up things that give you joy like say owning a convertible

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

External Organs posted:

I go to people's houses and they're so clean. How??!

you are much more critical of your own house than you are of other's houses

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

i personally am enamored of the idea of being in a Battle of Wills with a four month old

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

They didn’t really do much about him, they did remind over the intercom for people to only lower their masks to drink and when they are done taking a sip to put the mask back up. Flight attendants didn’t see him with his mask off but I kept being terrified we’d be strongly encouraged never to travel with them again. No one said anything about his behavior either but man—it was tough to handle and I’m almost done flying with them until they are older. Stick to road trips, at least their lovely behavior is confined to a small vehicle

FAs know that toddlers are terrorists, they're not going to ban you from AA because your toddler is terrible or won't wear a mask or won't sit down. It can sometimes be helpful for the FA to talk to your kid, too.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

remigious posted:

Is 3 too young for monster jam? My little dude is obsessed but I’m worried he might be too young still.

My buddy took his ~3 year old and the kid loved it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Sitting here in a glider that cost more than any other piece of furniture in our house with a 1 week old right now. My primary complaint is that he thinks the optimal time to do stuff is 11 pm - 3 am and even when he’s calm he’s still going full quiet alert and won’t really sleep. Still, 14/10 experience so far.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Bi-la kaifa posted:

After meeting with the midwife this morning we're going to supplement with formula. I think that bit of validation as well as assurance that there's nothing wrong with the kid or her supply. She's put on about 65g per day since the last visit so the kid is just a hungry hungry hippo.

I think our plan now is to use formula for some uninterrupted sleep and see if we can incorporate pumping as I transition back to work. Wife feels better about it now that she's gonna sleep a few hours a night so hopefully we've left that particular hell behind and will be entering a new kind soon.

If it makes you feel any better, we are mostly breastfeeding a 9 day old and mom’s milk supply is a little scant especially in the evening. Baby gets pumped milk plus formula from dad for the two night time feeds which gives mom a break and makes them a bit quicker and more efficient. We wanted to fully breastfeed but it doesn’t necessarily work out for various reasons and popping a little formula in the little guy has helped him be less hungry in the wee hours of the morning.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

You can tell exactly how much you’re feeding with formula or pumped milk, but if they’re on the boob you have no idea.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Cosleeping in US terms is baby in same bed.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I found out we are 92nd on our first choice daycare’s wait list. KG3 has been on the waitlist since first trimester. They have 28 infant spots. Fortunately the neighborhood is moderately high turnover, but I don’t think we are getting in for our September target date.

If we get in, we pay $660/wk for full time infant. This is the cheapest and best option in our neighborhood that works for my wife and I. :wrongcity:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

We'll be doing a short plane trip (just under 2 hour flight, nonstop) in a few months with little KG3 who will be four and a half months old at the time. We are visiting the inlaws.

My wife is somewhat concerned about having him in arms. I'm not too worried about it, but she would prefer for him to be in his infant car seat in the plane. I think this is theoretically possible according to the airline (Delta) - obviously we have to get another seat for him if we want to do that - but has anyone done it? I am a frequent flier and I can't recall ever seeing this done. Any experience with this? We need to bring the car seat anyway so it's not going to be that much more difficult, but I imagine he will need to be held to be soothed / fed etc anyway.

Beyond that, please give me your best 3-6 mo old air travel tips!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thanks, all. Probably won't buy a second car seat since space at home is at more of a premium than weight Dad has to lug around, but you've all given me quite a bit to think about. Sounds like putting him in a seat is perfectly normal and reasonable, we just have to decide whether it's worth the expense.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

To be fair the cost is largely academic since I fly... a lot. Whatever we do for travel is not using real money, which makes this a bit of an easier decision to buy the seat and try it out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Thanks, this was super helpful. We have the Mesa and would be using that but we'll also be in Comfort+ so the three extra inches of legroom should solve that problem.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

My wife and I made it a daily top priority goal to go outside every day. It's pretty easy to lose sight of it if you're at home with the baby.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dismas posted:

yup. we completely failed to sleep train #1, tried to do it way too late and she got so upset she'd puke on herself and we just didn't have it in us to keep trying after a few days. Took two and a half years before she would fall asleep on her own. With #2, we're like 'okay, five months, time for you to cry it out" (after spending a few weeks making sure we were religious about a short bedtime routine). we're three days in, it's going okay (first night was an hour and forty awake, last night was only 40).

it sucks hearing her cry but we are hardened. and we know she can do it.

I am curious what you are doing for the short bedtime routine to try to get prepped for sleep training. Can you share?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

dismas posted:

get in jammies, read a book, Eat, sing her a song while we burp. Before we went to 'okay, kiddo, time to figure it out', we would rock her to sleep and make sure she was fully asleep in bed before bedtime was over; the only thing we've swapped out is that last part.

she's a baby, so she has only in the past few weeks established a really regular sleeping pattern, and once she did that, we tried to create a uniform "okay, this is how we go to bed" ritual with her.

The timing is not super-regular yet. She is not napping at identical times at day care, and sometimes she does a quick nap when she gets home; her bedtime is basically end of last nap of the day + two hours.

Thanks - this is helpful as our seven week old is just starting to get on a semiregular sleep pattern in the evening.

illcendiary posted:

We switched to a Hatch light on a schedule with my 2.5 year old and it’s worked wonders. Bedtime had ballooned to an hour and a half ordeal with tantrums after we left the room, and in retrospect I think it’s because our departure time wasn’t easily predictable to his little brain. Now orange light means mom and dad can play, blue means we leave the room but he can play alone, green means bedtime. It’s worked flawlessly and bedtime is now back to 45 minutes start to finish (I just jinxed myself).

We're intending to use this - our friends have a timed light that their kids have obeyed very faithfully both on the going to sleep side and on the waking up side.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

KG3 managed to sleep for 5.5 hours at a stretch last night, way to go little guy! He hates it when he pees on himself so we tried out Coterie diapers at night and the additional absorbency seems to be helping.

He then had a poop blowout on my wife lol owned

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Nocheez posted:

You will learn not to relish in these events, as something worse is always lurking around the corner the next time it's your turn.

I don't post much here but I think I'll start. I have a just turned 6-year old and a 2.5 year old. Their birthdays are exactly 6 months apart :3:

oh i had to deal with the aftermath of the poop blow out since my wife wanted to shower (reasonable)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Also curious about this as we look for one for our two month old. We have some recs from other parents that we generally think are conscientious etc but it's pretty tough to tell. I'm also not sure what a quick round of Q&A is really gonna tell me about them anyway.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Edna Mode posted:

Sometimes when I'm swinging my kid through the air I think about if there's any equivalent for that experience as an adult. Roller coasters? Get the guy from Game of Thrones to do it?

getting sick air off a big kicker

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

are you sure you did not poop your pants

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

I changed the baby this morning after feeding him at 5 AM, and in my hubris assumed that since he had dropped a well massive turd and like a quarter cup of pee that he was OK to be put in a normal Size One diaper rather than his insane oversized Size 2 night diapers. Of course he peed through the diaper and his swaddle and his cradle sheet and on to the mattress. :owned:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

gbut posted:

Babies are like TARDIS—much bigger on the inside.

It's wild how much the lil guy can put away on the input side, I think it's roughly equivalent to me eating 5.5 lbs of food seven times a day. Guess that mostly has to go somewhere.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Renegret posted:

I need to collect a poop sample of the baby's diarrhea for lab work. The same diarrhea that utterly killed me this morning.

Greaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

it sounds like there was a lot of it so finding some should be fairly easy!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

this seems significantly worse than paying money to a babysitter periodically

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

The downside with the baby monitors is that you will inevitably think the baby is dead when they have a false alert. Just be very prepared for that.