Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Has anyone tried gDiapers, the ones with the flushable (or reuseable) inserts? I'm thinking of switching from sposies, and these seem like the best bet.

I use the Thirsties Duo Wraps (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003AJXY2E/) and just normal cloth prefold diapers. It has been super easy. No diaper rash. Unexpensive. We have 6 covers and about 40 diapers and wash every two to three days. We also have a diaper sprayer which will save your life with the poop diapers. All in all, I'm glad we chose it. Much cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

car dance
May 12, 2010

Anyone have good suggestions for a sippy cup? My daughter is great at nipples and has used a variety of them. She still will drink out of a bottle okay but if there's water in it she is not happy and will just put down the bottle. I tried just giving her a cup but she choked herself, even with me helping her do it slowly. She really wants to drink out of a cup so I wanted to get her a training cup or a sippy cup but there are so many different options and varying reviews so if you have one that worked for you, I'd love to know about it so I don't spend too much money looking for one she'll like. Thanks!

car dance
May 12, 2010

Beichan posted:

How old? My son skipped sippy cups completely and went straight to straw cups. I think he was somewhere around 14-16 months. Straw cups are better for their mouth/speech development anyway.

She's 8 months old today actually.

Ariza posted:

You can learn from my mistakes and get Take and Toss Spill Proof or these if you want cups with straws. I ended up buying these on a lark after going through about a dozen different ones that cost from $6 - 15 a piece and finding all of them awful. In all of the cups, the spill-proof mechanisms and straws tend to trap food and drink particles in spaces that are way too small to clean. I am extremely weird about these things, but I did see mold growing in a couple of them up in the weird plastic twists and turns that I couldn't get clean no matter how much I tried. The Take and Toss work very well as spill proof and once they get too weird for me I throw them out. We mostly use them without the lids now so they're not useless once the kid gets a little older either.

Don't get the similar ones that are Ziploc branded, they are very terrible.

edit - And don't bother spending $10 on a gyro-bowl. My daughter loves dumping things and took it as a challenge every time I gave her the bowl. It lasted less than a minute and she was 12 months old when she got it.

Thanks! I also feel weird about all those ones with lots of places for mold to grow. I'm not a big fan of plastic for her but if it's easy to clean and/or disposable I don't mind it so much.

When I see age limits on things like sippy cups (many of them say 9mo+) can I just ignore them? I can understand for things like bouncy chairs that you want them to be big enough to have good head support, but I can't think of a thing that would make my daughter unable to use a sippy cup because she's one month too young.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Pretty sure no one mentioned this but if you want some "modern" lullaby stuff there's over 20 Rock A Bye Baby albums that are stuff like Radiohead and Metallica played with baby sounding instruments. Some of them are really good.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Imperialist Dog posted:

Thanks to everyone who replied. I read all responses seriously and consider your advice thoughtfully.

I think the bond between my son and I is ok, actually. He loves going out with me to the park or climbing all over me on our bed and is all smiles and giggles. Due to our work schedule, it's not feasible to simply tell the maid that it's break time or have breakfast with Andrew, as I leave the house around six thirty and return around twelve hours later. There are no working hour laws in Hong Kong so twelve hour days are normal for labourers; since I'm on a salary I "only" put in around ten hours a day. When I get home it finally gives our maid time to cook and clean a bit.

As for the sleep training, well, I've been up for about two hours now, increasing the wait time between checks by two minutes each time. If it doesn't work by the end of the week then it's time for a new strategy. At least it's better to -have- a strategy.

Regarding my other problems, I'm going to wait until after next month when our new baby arrives as saying anything at the moment is like stirring a hornet's nest. I'm just hoping I don't hear "How can you expect me to X? I just gave birth/am breastfeeding/went back to work/have two children now/am preparing for Y."

Please excuse me if you already said this, because I know you're saying he won't go to sleep on his own, but have you tried rocking him to sleep and just holding him? My daughter is 9 months and has decided she doesn't want to go to sleep in her crib on her own so we've regressed back to holding her until she's asleep and then trying to place her in the crib. Sometimes it doesn't work so we have to cosleep. And yes, sometimes she's still crying while I'm holding her for 5-10 minutes but the rocking and shushing will eventually make her eyes start drooping until she goes to sleep.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Anyone who is having sleeping issues: we just went through a period with our daughter who previously would actually allow us to place her in the bed completely awake to fall asleep where she decided she didn't want to sleep unless someone was holding her. It went like this for over a month that she would not sleep anywhere except in arms. Even if she was completely asleep, she'd wake up and cry if you put her down. She was getting something like 3 teeth at once, then another tooth after that. We were switching her mostly over to solids as she's almost 11 months old. All of this took about two months. But eventually she started letting us put her down asleep.

Last night, she woke up while I was moving her to her crib and then just looked at me and closed her eyes and went back to sleep. So there's hope -- eventually your baby will sleep in a crib on their own. But there will probably be regressions and annoying things that happen since s/he is going through so much growth themselves. I guess the best suggestion I had is just do what causes you the least stress -- if the baby wakes up multiple times and won't go back to sleep unless s/he's fed, feed that baby. If the baby won't sleep unless you're holding him/her, hold that baby. Eventually things will go back to normal.

car dance
May 12, 2010

SavoyMarionette posted:

My 11 month old has recently started biting. Mostly hands and fingers, but occasionally as he's cruising along beside the couch, he'll go for his sister's toes. He has tried biting me through my shirt or pants before, those didn't hurt and it sometimes took me a few seconds to realize what he was up to. There isn't really any noticeable cue that he is planning on biting and honestly I'm not entirely sure what to do about it. My mom dealt with my younger sister (3 at the time) by gently biting her back, but that's not something I'm willing to do and it'll probably just get it into my 3 year old's head that biting back is how she should deal with it too. I've tried ending play time when he starts biting but he doesn't seem too bothered by that. I know he is currently teething, he has a 4th tooth on the bottom that should be showing up any day now, so is this new biting habit related to that? Is this something I'll have to wait for him to grow out of, or is there something more I can do?

Was just coming to post this here. I am in the exact same boat with a little girl who turned 11 months today. My husband and I tend to do what we did to train our dog ("ow. no biting. don't bite. you hurt me" and remove ourselves from where she is) but it doesn't always work. At 11 months I think she's just too little for us to try doing much of anything besides that and hope she grows out of it. She has 8 teeth already and it's pretty painful when she does bite. My husband read a website saying you should really play it up that you're hurt and overdramatize it but when we do that she just laughs at us. :confused: I've called her a schadenfreude baby for a long time because when you cry in front of her she thinks it's hilarious.

So I guess just continue to do what you're doing because I don't know if there's anything else to do. :psyduck:

car dance
May 12, 2010

rangergirl posted:

My other question is about introducing proteins. I'm vegetarian so I would rather not handle a ton of meat, and I make my own baby food (I will do what is best for my son but if I don't need to handle meat I would rather not). I've read that at 7 months you can start introducing yogurt, cottage cheese and egg yolks for protein. It seems young for any kind of dairy to me though, when did you all introduce things like yogurt and cottage cheese?

My daughter is 12 months old now. We started yogurt around 9 months and she loves it. We also give her egg yolks and started giving her full eggs around 10 months. They usually say hold off on the whites until they're around a year if there's a chance of allergy, but we don't have any in the family so we just went for it. She loves eggs. Even though I eat cottage cheese every day, we didn't think about introducing her to it until she recently and she also loves it. She's been eating cheese since around the time she had yogurt tho and also loves it. I think beans are ok from 8-10 months but we didn't realize that until recently.

I wouldn't worry too much about protein though if he's still eating a lot of formula or breast milk.

car dance
May 12, 2010

My husband and I want to go on bike rides this summer with our little one who is 12 months old right now. Does anyone have any good suggestions of bike trailers or seats that go on a rack on the back wheel? What about helmets?

car dance
May 12, 2010

Mnemosyne posted:

Any recommendations for inexpensive (but sturdy) cribs other than Ikea? The crib we're using is old and has been recalled, but is old enough that I can no longer get the parts that will make it safe. The baby is 9 months old, so I don't want to drop a ton of money on a crib that we're already 1/3rd of the way through the useful period on.

The Dream On Me Classic 2 in 1 Convertible Stationary Side Crib is what we got for our daughter when we switched her over. I think it has 3 height levels and then converts to a 3 sided bed afterwards. It's pretty sturdy and we've had no problems with it. Big plus is it's less than $100 - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035ER8FI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and there are 4 or 5 colors.

car dance
May 12, 2010

My two year old daughter knows when she has to poop and will tell us sometimes and let us get her on the potty and she will poop after some trepidation but when she has to pee and is on the potty will start wailing. I'm pretty sure she's just afraid for some reason but I'm not sure how to get her more comfortable. We read books to her about potty training while she is on the potty and we let her pretend to wipe and even watch us pee and wash our hands and everything but nothing seems to help her chill out and pee. Is this as weird as I think it is? I'd really like to get her out of diapers before I think about having a second kid but we haven't made any progress in a month because of this.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Papercut posted:

I distinctly remember how excited I was to tell my mom that I had cut my sister's hair when I was 4 (sister was 2.5). I honestly thought she would be really happy with the job I'd done.

This also happened to me at the same ages. But I also cut off my own hair too. My mom has told the story to everyone ever. My sister's hair wasn't as bad as mine. The pictures are hilarious now. But she has left me with the scissors so she never really blamed me.

car dance
May 12, 2010

My response to Ron Swanson talking about Doc McStuffins was extremely disproportional to how I should have reacted. I find myself watching that show when my daughter isn't even in the room.

car dance
May 12, 2010

I got my 8 year old with the "spell i cup" thing and it absolutely broke her brain. Being a parent is sometimes pretty great.

car dance
May 12, 2010

Combo posted:

I have absolutely no clue what to do. No punishment has ever really worked on him. I did tell him yesterday if he had any more incidents at school I would clean his room out of everything except a bed and a dresser (no books, legos, stuffed animals, other toys). After today I feel like I need to follow through with what I said, so I'm looking around for the smallest storage unit I can find to take all of his poo poo and put it in there and see if I get his attention, but I'm doubting it's going to matter.

Please don't just take all your kids toys and stuff away. It doesn't work. It just hurts them more. Children do not understand how these events are tied together even if you spell it out. Negative reinforcement, especially for a bright kid who has impulse problems, is not helpful. Remember, your 9 year old doesn't quite understand how anything works right now. They're not being stubborn to spite you. They're a child, and if they have impulse control issues, even if they DO understand, they can't control themselves.

My 11 year old was having these exact problems. The issues started with them when they were in maybe 2nd grade. We tried punishment, taking away their screen time or toys or whatever. We tried stickers and awards. None of these things worked. It's because at their age they had impulse control issues. They weren't being stubborn or rude or anything on purpose, and talking to them to ask them why held valuable insight into why this was happening.

Here's what worked: consistent therapy, a 504 program where they had things put in place for them at the school like time with the social worker, visible timers in class to help them understand when they do work and when they don't, brain breaks where they could tell the teacher they needed to walk away, and instead of negative reinforcement, positive reinforcement.

You may not need to go that far, but if you say "no punishment has worked on him" it sounds like you should try the following things: try to understand, from his perspective, why he is doing these things, what you could do to make him not do those things, and what he thinks might help him want to do what he should be doing. At 11, I can get clear answers on these things with my kid, but it's because of the multiple years of therapy we've done and because since we've asked them "why did that happen" enough times, and they trust us because we don't punish them for telling us the truth about stuff like that, they are getting practiced at being able to understand why they aren't able to control certain impulses.

(At this point we're also going to see if they have ADHD which is manifesting harder now that they have homework and harder assignments in 6th grade.)

car dance
May 12, 2010

It's SO hard when you have a smart but anxious/lack of impulse control-ly 8-12 year old: you FEEL like they are smart enough to not to do behaviors, and they will be able to explain the things they shouldn't do and why they shouldn't do it and say "I won't do that again" but they can't just magically have impulse control even if they WANT to not do those things. Negative reinforcement doesn't work because there's a layer of thinking the kid doesn't have yet, and it's not even like in the moment they're thinking about how they will lose their screen time. They got child brain.

Once you can talk to your kid and you realize they can have complex thoughts and emotions it's like "cool, this person understands rationality" but it's not quite true. My 11 year old can do some complicated math and understand deeper metaphor in stories but is still just a little guy who goes "uhhhh idk why I screamed at the teacher and ran away, my bad......"

car dance
May 12, 2010

Engineer Lenk posted:

It’s not really easier with a teenager with intellectual disabilities. There’s maybe more of a Groundhog Day vibe and less expectation that they should just be able to get it, but you’re also dealing with a kid that is near grown adult size and has all the biological teenager brain things going on.

Kinda what I'm expecting... This is 100% why I'm trying to make sure we get the kid set up for success. Unlike me when I was their age, they actually have parents who are like "hmm how tf CAN I get you coping mechanisms??"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

car dance
May 12, 2010

I guess the reason I'm so passionate about it is because I had these negative reinforcement punishments done to me when I was a child, and they did NOT work, and yet when my kid started doing it, it was what I was falling back on. Realizing that I, as a child, could have been successful if I had been listened to or giving coping mechanisms like therapy or even if I had slightly trusted my parents. ("Did you do your homework?" "No." "Okay, no more tv." taught me to just lie and then later "Oh my god you didn't do any homework all semester? Why did you lie?" ...well because if I told you the truth you would have punished me!)

I understand there's likely kids out there that DO need punishment in some way or something. It didn't work on my kid at all because they don't act out because they genuinely enjoy it. They can say "I need to do my homework so I can get a good grade" and then still get caught playing around on their iPad even though it's not what they *want* to be doing.

I'm not saying that "therapy and talk to your kids so they trust you, listen to them and help them set themselves up for success" will work for every kid, but for those with actual impulse control issues (ADHD is a huge one), since they cannot control their impulses in that way, they're not intentionally acting out. Even if they can rationally explain the things that they should do, and the things they want to do, doesn't mean they can control it completely. And when someone says "My kid is so smart! Why are they doing this?" it gives me flashbacks to people saying that to me as a kid. :eng99: