Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ariza posted:

Has anyone used this Stearns puddle jumper for a two year old in a pool? I was going to get a Speedo one piece with the built in life vest but it got bad reviews for kids who can't swim. Also, any comments on the one piece long sleeved swimsuits? They seem like they could be too hot or uncomfortable in a subtropical environment. Burning isn't really a factor, but I'm afraid of cancer.

My son has one of those puddle jumpers. He LOVES it. Granted, he's taken swimming lessons, so he understands the movements required to propel himself through the water, but he has absolutely zero bodyfat and *cannot* float. He's like a little stone, just straight to the bottom no matter what he does. The puddle jumper keeps him up so he can enjoy himself while giving him the freedom to kick and swim. Otherwise, he's stuck clinging on to an adult the whole time.

As for the longsleeved swimsuits, they aren't hot or uncomfortable. They're SUPER breathable and if you get them wet, I find that they can actually help him keep cool when it's very hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

sullat posted:

I've been trying to get our kid attached to a stuffed animal for almost a year now and it isn't working. He has no interest in them, it seems. But put an empty bottle in the crib and he will curl up around it as happy as can be. At least the past few nights, anyway.

I tried for MONTHS to get my son to imprint on a lovey. I went out and bought 3 identical lovey toys and tried so hard to get him to attach to them and he wouldn't do it. Then one day I tried to get him to go to sleep without the prefold cloth diaper I usually had over my shoulder to catch puke (oh my god, he was such a pukey baby, we had those things on every surface of our house) and he flipped the hell out. That's when it occurred to me that he wouldn't take my lovely loveys because he already had one: prefold cloth diapers. It was awesome, we had approximately 40, they were all completely interchangeable - I never had to worry about him losing it and never being able to replace it.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

FordCQC posted:

Regarding loveychat: Someone posted a link to a website where people could post classified ads looking to replace lost loveys, does anyone have that link?

My daughter absconded with a random stuffed animal from the demo cribs at Target this past weekend and we were unable to get her to part with it before we left the store. I couldn't find one on the shelf to buy but the cashier was really gracious and charged me a dollar for it. However, I can't find it online for sale anywhere and I'm dreading what would happen if it gets lost.

This is what I'm talking about : http://www.target.com/p/just-one-you-made-by-carters-girl-bunny-beanbag/-/A-14383954

I just did a "Find In Store" on that from the website you linked and it shows as in stock at 3 of my 5 local Target stores, so it's still in stock in at least certain stores without paying the finder's fee one of those sites is likely to charge. I'll keep an eye open for you next time I hit up Target and will gladly pick one up, but it would be cheaper for you to find it using their "Find in Store" function and not have to pay shipping. (Did you check in the baby aisles? I remember that toy hanging with the onesies, socks, and bibs, not in the toy department)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

EVG posted:

Medicine dropper for accurate dosing

I prefer a dosing syringe, they're far more accurate and easier to clean. They also sell syringe-marrying lids to put on bottles for no-mess dispensing.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

ghost story posted:

I'm hoping I can find something that works for us and isn't outrageously expensive. At worst its only for a few hours and has a set end point.

Right now she's on a few meds and some I don't think she's really getting much since she pushes it back out. Am I missing something other than squirt a little in the back and try to minimize the mess?

I use an oral dosing syringe, slide it along the outside of the gums to the back and dispense a little at a time, waiting for him to swallow each bit so he never gets a whole mouthful to spew out. When he was tiny and couldn't really fight it, I'd just go for the back of the mouth, but as his mouth got stronger and teeth started appearing I switched to outside the gumline for the meds he fights. Also see if you can get the pharmacy to change the flavorings until you find one she likes. Our pharmacy has like 15 or 20 different flavorings they can use, some he HATES and others he opens right up like a little baby bird for.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I don't really have much to add about your 7 year old, as I think others have said it well. But I would like to chime in on your youngest's needs.

My child has a disability that makes him need a high calorie/high fat diet as well. There are a ton of ways to increase calories in his diet. Frankly, Fiber One bars are probably one of the worst - each bar is only like 90 calories. A tablespoon of peanut butter has more calories than that. Instant breakfast added to skim milk has more calories than that. Greek yogurt, avocado, cheese. When it comes right down to it, there's always Duocal powder. Every time I take Liam in to the pediatrician at Children's Hospital for a checkup, he gives me the latest handout from the nutritionists on staff about what foods are best for a child who needs a high calorie/high fat diet. I'd highly encourage you to ask the pediatrician about the best way to add those calories in. Perhaps even ask for a referral to a nutritionist to do an evaluation of his current diet and give you a personalized list (we did this about a year ago, she determined that his diet was incredibly balanced but that I needed to find a way to get 100 more calories into him per day, then gave me a long list of ways to do it).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

TacoNight posted:

While it was good for everyone's sleep that we moved our daughter to her own room (happened around 7 months), we miss getting to share a bed (she refuses to sleep in our bed, daytime or middle of the night). Waking up to her staring at me was great.

I have a question about free standing baby gates. We have an open floor plan at our new house and we are looking for a way to keep our 16month old out of kitchen while we are cooking (fine if she runs through there other times). The opening to the kitchen is 8 foot wide, but one side is brick, where we can't mount anything. Wall-to-wall for mounting something would be about 13 feet. Is there something free-standing that would safely work? It doesn't need to be super secure, since we will always be present and in the kitchen while using it. Simple deterrence + establishing a rule is fine. I've seen something like this freestanding pet gate but am worried that it would be a tipping hazard: http://www.amazon.com/Richell-Freestanding-Large-Autumn-Finish/dp/B000F0VZV8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1371926783&sr=8-2 Also, we'd prefer to wall off the kitchen rather than get one of those octagonal baby "play yards". Any suggestions?

I just got the octagonal play yard and used it as a gate - I set it up so that one section was flat against the wall on either side of the door opening and made the part over the opening zig zag so it would stand on its own. We used it to childproof the Christmas tree the same way. I think we had that thing set up as a baby containment unit maybe 3 times ever, most of the time it was used more as a baby deterrent to keep him out of the few areas we didn't want him in.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

crazyvanman posted:

Does anyone have any experience in using ear defenders for their child? We are going to an outdoor ska festival in August with our (then) 12 month old daughter. We've looked around a bit but it would be useful to hear some comments if anyone has any. We've heard that one important thing is not to get one that's too tight as their heads are still quite spongy. Any recommendations or warnings?

My son has hyperacusis (super sensitive hearing), it's part of the syndrome he's got. Sounds that are of totally normal volumes to you and me can be painfully loud to him. The most popular hearing protection among WS families is 3M Peltor Kids shooter's muffs (rated NRR22dB). They seem to work really well for my kid. Best advice I can give is practice with them ahead of time so she is willing to tolerate them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Alterian posted:

Whats the best way to secure an old style tv and not a flat screen?
Earthquake strap!
http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-4065-TV-Strap/dp/B0000V073O/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372090027&sr=8-3&keywords=crt+television+strap

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

yeah, for sure, rear-facing for as long as possible was definitely the plan. I'd say that my biggest "problem" is really that I don't know the correlation of weight and age (like Chickalicious' son being 2.5 years old and 28 pounds) so it is hard for me to build a frame of reference! My girls were born super prematurely, so I wouldn't be surprised if we end up getting almost 3 years out of our rear facing seats.

My son was also premature. He was in his infant bucket seat for a year, then I switched him to a convertible car seat, rear facing. He made it until 3 years old rearfacing before I had to switch it around because he had hip surgery and was in a spica cast and couldn't fit in the seat rearfacing. He'll be 6 next week, he's currently 43-1/2" tall (although for car seat purposes, you're concerned with their sitting height, not their standing height) and weighs 40lbs - that puts him at about 20-25th percentile for age for height and weight. Frankly, I'm pretty sure he could have made it to 5 rearfacing in his seat - he's just now hitting the weight limit, but I think his sitting height would have aged him out of it sooner. He was front facing on the school bus at 2, because that's when he started busing to special ed. preschool and they can only install carseats front-facing on schoolbuses.

Edit: wait no, it was definitely longer than a year in the bucket, because we flew back east when he was 13 months old and he was still in that carseat. Maybe closer to 15 or 18 months?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Hdip posted:

Swaddle? Did you mistype by saying 1 month old?

Yeah, I think ShadySight's son is 16 months.

As for advice, you're doing the right thing. Put him down, every time he does it. Redirect him. Be consistent, it'll take some time but eventually he'll stop.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jun 29, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Melliemel posted:

My kid is jumping on the bed. And dancing in the bathtub. Which are obviously no-nos.

I tried ignoring the bed jumping in case it was attention-driven, but no, I think for her it's just really fun. She has a trampoline, it's just... really fun. Today at nap time I told her one more jump and I would take her bed away; her mattress ended up in the hallway and she was in her toddler bed on the plywood that supports the mattress. She just played, and didn't seem to mind it, so my husband put it back and she went right to sleep. So clearly mattress removal's not a good or-else.

She knows that if she dances in the tub she gets pulled right out, but she does it as the tub is draining, so no great loss for her there.

She's usually reasonable - if I tell her something is dangerous, or makes me feel bad, she won't do it. But lately, those two things, she gets this wicked gleam in her eye and she -knows- it's naughty. She'll even say, "no dancing in tub?" and I say, no, it's dangerous and makes me scared, and then she grins and does it. Same with the bed.

What do I do here?

My son kept flipping his toddler bed upside down and chucking the frame across the room. So he ended up sleeping on a mattress on the floor. As for your bathtime problem, just take her out before draining the tub. She can dance on the bathmat while she watches the water go away.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I'd offer straw cups over bottles. It may not even have been the bottle he was after, but the awesomeness of having someone else's drink. My kid would rather die than drink apple juice, but if he can get his hands on another kid's cup of juice, he will drain that poo poo dry in about 5 seconds.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
They can't just arbitrarily tell you you can't use your FAA certified car seat if you've bought a ticket for the child, but then again the airlines can make the rows so small that your FAA certified carseat CANNOT BE INSTALLED, in which case you can basically just get told "gently caress you, not our problem". This happened to me on a cross country flight. The carseat *would not fit* in the seat because the seats in the row in front of us we so close. On the way to the east coast, the flight attendant was very accommodating and moved us to an unoccupied first class row for free (score!). On the way home, the ticketing agent just told me it was my own damned fault and that I'd have to pay for an upgrade to first class even though when I booked the flight, I had called the airline with the name and model number of our carseat and was told "If it has an FAA sticker on it, it's fine". Our other option was to check the carseat that wouldn't fit and have him fly as a lapchild and no, I was not going to get my money back for the ticket because, again...my fault. Eventually a baggage handler noticed me in tears attempting to explain that my child is disabled and has a problem with muscle tone and NEEDS to be in a car seat. He came over, showed me pictures of his newborn daughter and gave me an airline loaner for our flight with instructions to leave it at baggage claim with a note to return it to the airport of origin. I got the distinct impression that this guy was going *WAY* above and beyond what he was supposed to do - the carseats the airline has for loaners are intended to be given to people who have had their checked carseats damaged in transit, so they can get home from the airport.

(Note: the carseat that wouldn't fit was an infant bucket seat. I've never had a problem with our convertible)

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Schweig und tanze posted:

Related to this, the Cosco Scenera seems to be the most highly recommended convertible seat for airplane use, it's able to be installed forward- or rear-facing and is not so gigantic that lugging it through the airport is difficult. Consensus online also seems to be that Britax seats are very difficult to install and are liable to be too big to use on the plane.

vanessa posted:

When we flew with our son in a bucket seat, we went to seatguru.com and looked up the pitch of the planes used by the carriers we were considering. I'm not sure what carrier you had problems with, but we found both United and Frontier could accommodate our Britax Chaperone in regular economy, but we upgraded to economy plus so that the row in front of us could still recline.

The bucket seat that wouldn't fit was a Graco SafeSeat. We've flown several times with his convertible, a Britax Marathon, and never had a problem. The Marathon's a huge heavy monster and we have to put the armrests up but it fits in the seat fine.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Capslock Holmes posted:

You know, I really think you are onto something here. We don't know a lot of people here with kids in our daughters age, and we have a nanny instead of doing daycare. My wife met up with another mom with a walking 14 month old boy that she met on a Facebook moms group at the park today. She said that our daughter was pulling up on her practically the whole time. I would've come along but had to work from 1-3 this morning. Hopefully between that and the early intervention people she'll get the motivation she needs.

So no on the walker? To be clear I'm talking about the ones that actually hold the kid up, not the kind that the kid walks behind, we have received a couple of those as gifts already.

The primary safety concern with walkers is stairs - lots of kids go crashing down stairs in walkers. Additionally there's the fact that the child can't really see what they're doing because the tray is in the way. And according to the American Academy of Pediatrics, walkers actually *delay* motor and mental development.
http://aapgrandrounds.aappublications.org/content/3/1/1.extract
So I'd skip it.

Note: my son has Williams Syndrome and had hypotonia as an infant. Hi didn't sit or crawl until 13 months, walked at 25 months. This was a known issue from his diagnosis at 5 months and he was receiving EI services and physical and occupational therapies from diagnosis as well. Most of what we worked on was muscle and core strengthening and providing him with lots of opportunities - so lots of low furniture to pull up on, lots of push toys around. I noticed with him that he was always more willing to give things a try when we spent time around other children who were doing those things. It was almost as if he sort of figured "Oh, those are things adults do, I don't do them" and then he'd see other kids doing them and a lightbulb would go on.

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 21, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Volmarias posted:

We had the Melissa and Doug chomper walker, which wasn't too bad. That was really more of an extension of cruising for her, rather than a way to walk everywhere, and she didn't use it very much since it required a straight clear path. It was also adorable when she walked down the sidewalk with us using it :3:

This one? That's more of a push toy or walking toy. The walkers we're talking about are this kind:

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Volmarias posted:

An old iPod on eBay

Yeah, my kid's got a 2nd generation Ipod touch. He's not a gentle kid. All we've ever done is tell him "Don't put it in your mouth". I let him take it to bed at night for music to go to sleep by and it's still chugging along just fine after 3 years of kid abuse. I haven't even bothered putting a case on it since he outgrew the anti-baby case we originally had it in.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

GoreJess posted:

Plum Organics makes a corn, carrot & turkey pouch with sage that smells delicious. It's one of Archer's favorite meals. If you do meat that's mixed with other stuff it isn't gross like the straight meat purées.

Yeah, I never gave my kid the meat purees right out of the jar. I'd mix them with jars of green beans or peas. Then I sent him to school with some and got notes home that he won't eat meat. What the hell man, green beans and turkey is his favorite thing? Went in to talk to them, turns out they were trying to give him spoons of meat goo and he was going "gently caress no"

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Volmarias posted:

OK, these are both good ideas, thanks. I'll have to find out what the "thingo" is.

It's this thingo:
http://www.amazon.com/Kids-Shampoo-Rinse-Cup-SRC44/dp/B001GI4FXI

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Capslock Holmes posted:

There's no way that 90% of people install car seats correctly. I just spent 45 minutes putting a graco 3 in 1 in the suburban. It finally doesn't move around. Also, gently caress seatbelt locking plates and pre-LATCH vehicles.

Ok thanks for letting me get that out of my system. This is gonna be a fun road trip.

You're right! In fact, according to the NHTSA, approximately 95% of car seats are found to be used improperly at car seat check events. :(

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ariza posted:

Can anyone recommend a flat table/desk that is a good size for a toddler? There's an Ikea about 2 hours away, but it's in Canada so it's kind of a pain to get furniture. Looking around on the internet, and they all seem to be $150-300, which is way too much for something that will only be used for a few years and probably ruined in the process. She's got an angled desk for drawing already, but I'd like something that can support a small computer monitor, keyboard, and mouse in the years to come.

I'd probably just order the LÄTT set from Ikea online and have it shipped to me. It's $20 for a table and two chairs, even with shipping it's going to come out to maybe $35 total, right?

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 15, 2013

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ariza posted:

That is the one I was looking at but I wasn't sure if it was big enough for a monitor and keyboard. They have it on Amazon for about $40 with free shipping. Has anyone used one?

I don't have one myself, but I do have a 6 year old and an Ikea within 2 miles of my house. Are you just interested in size/dimensions? I can head over and pose him at it so you can see scale. (Also, if you DO decide to buy one, I'd buy directly from the Ikea website and save yourself $13 - Amazon's charging $43, but I checked Ikea.com and it looks like with shipping it would be about $30 to my zipcode).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chicken McNobody posted:

Does enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) work as well on barf odors as it does on pet odors? If not, what works best for you? My toddler's had a tummy bug this week, throwing up mostly at night, and he sleeps with us, so he barfs on us (read: me. all the time), and we all smell just terrible. :(

I'm sick myself, and was so tired last night I just Febreezed the mattress and pillows, laid down extra towels, and went to bed, but the smell...it has defeated Febreeze.

BioKleen BacOut. 2 years ago, I did a road trip across country with my kid. At one point, he had a sippy cup failure that resulted in 12 ounces of milk spilling all over the carseat and the back seat and carpet of the car during a nationwide heat wave. The next morning, I opened the car door and the smell was so awful I threw up on the street. I had to drive to a health food store with my head sticking out of the open window to buy some BioKleen (thank god we had reached my grandmother's house by that point and I could leave him with her!). Got to the store, bought the stuff, sprayed it all over the seat and 1 minute later it was like there had never been a spill. It's pretty awesome on stains too.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Dandy Shrew posted:

That's the most baffling thing to me. I was looking at carseats from all4baby in Galway and they say that the seats fit in the front passenger seat, but if you have a front passenger airbag, you *shouldn't* put the carseat up front. Why would that even be an option?!

I wouldn't get one from the U.S. for the same reason as you.. huge purchase, and we had to really look for a carseat that would fit in our car.

I'mm in the US and our carseats all say the same thing: they CAN be used in the front seat but shouldn't, particularly with airbags. We can disable the airbags in our cars (do NOT depend on the weight sensor to properly disable them). Really car seats are designed to work in the front seat as a very last resort, like in the case of a pickup truck, or some sort of damage to the rear seat of the car which precludes use of the carseat. My dad has a pickup truck, and in the event of emergency he would put my son in the front seat of his truck, but it would have to be a pretty huge emergency that involved both my and my mother's cars being undriveable.

Our car seats are sold as "rearfacing 4lbs to 25lbs, front facing 20lbs to 45lbs", so you can see the overlap. Yes, you CAN turn it at 20lbs but you don't HAVE to turn it until 25. (Numbers pulled right out of my rear end, they don't actually correspond to any seat on the market).

As to why it might be necessary, my son's in Kindergarten right now and I suddenly see why people might need to have a carseat in the front seat - I see families with 4 or more kids picking their children up from school, and in my state the law says all children under the age of 9 must be in some sort of child seat (unless they exceed 4'9" in height), so I see plenty of people with their oldest child in a booster seat in the front seat of the car, because they can only fit 3 across the back seat.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

AlistairCookie posted:

Oh I do--I prefer to walk by far! Weather permitting, but it's been rainy, and right now it's very cold. (And on T/Th pick up I have to drive because I have to pick both kids up at different schools.)

As for the performance, it was a good set up. The music teacher was doing the whole thing with the kids, while his student teacher and student teachers' dad were playing guitar and piano. The kids were grouped by class and on the risers. There were plenty of people recording the thing with their Ipads (which annoys me for some totally irrational reason), but we could see just fine. I know Tim hates "real life music", also referred to as "human music". He prefers "car music" or music in the kitchen. That's quirky, I'm sure. He holds his ears and closes his eyes when he gets sung "Happy Birthday". (Also a habit I wish he would stop. I did tell him over the summer that doing that hurts his friends feelings.) I thought this time he may actually do something (anything!) during the performance because he talked about practicing all last week and said repeatedly how excited he was. Alas, no. I think he hates doing anything like that in front of anyone. This started when he was two and refused to sing the Itsy Bitsy Spider during the little end of the year show. (Whatever, they were all two.) Then when he was three, all he had to to was hold up a sign, and he sat on it the whole time. Then he had two performances last year, and during one of them, sat wadded up underneath his chair, and during the other, sat on his teacher's lap (so he wouldn't crawl under his chair again.)

Last night, I told him honestly that Daddy and I were a little sad and disappointed that he didn't want to sing any of the songs with his friends. That I had been really excited since he worked so hard practicing. He said he was looking up, waiting for it to be over, and that there were too many other parents there. Then he drew me a picture of the two of us in a big wobbly heart because I was sad. :3: I love him. I think it's just how he is. How much should I encourage him to try and participate? Should I just let it go? There will be one more at the end of the year.

Five more long years until performances are optional extracurricular activities!

Does he by any chance have any sensory issues? My son is incredibly musical: he's got perfect pitch, plays piano, sings ALL THE TIME, knows probably every song he's ever heard and can sing it at the drop of a hat. Regularly just starts playing songs on piano that no one has ever taught him how to play, can transpose songs from one key to another perfectly without being shown. But he's also got sensory problems and just shuts down when overwhelmed. So like, he'll be rocking out at top volume singing along and then all the sudden it's too much and he clamps his hands over his ears. At his piano recital last year, he got up on stage to play a song he can play blindfolded and just sat there, not playing anything. When his teacher gave him a little nudge by playing the first few notes, he just started humming something completely unrelated and doodling along the keyboard because he was overwhelmed and there were lights and too many people and too much distraction and he just couldn't deal with it, but when it was over he was so proud of himself for just being up there. In music class at school, he knows every song but when it's group singing time, he quietly listens to everyone else sing and when they're done, he starts singing it. Even things like the pledge of allegiance, he says it himself probably 25 times a day, but when it's actual pledge of allegiance time, he generally clamps his hands on his ears and stares at the ceiling. I think part of it for him is dealing with sensory overload and part of it is him not being able to deal with things that sound "wrong" to him, he gets really mad when the lyrics to songs get changed, hates when my husband (who has a *terrible* singing voice) sings and regularly tells him "No Daddy singing. Mommy sing, no Daddy.", and sometimes I think he's just too busy appreciating what is happening to actually take part.

He still participates in those things because he enjoys them. We just have adjusted expectations for him - he went out there, he was part of the group. He *IS* enjoying himself, just not in the way I would expect him to. And that's ok with me.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

MarshallX posted:

https://www.owletcare.com

Do I think parents with normal babies need this? Probably not. Given our circumstances though...am I being crazy?

Absolutely 100% NOT crazy.

My son has Williams Syndrome and had a ton of medical issues in his first year of life. We've been incredibly lucky in that he's evened out and his more severe medical problems stabilized since then. But man, that first year - I used every piece of tech I could get my hands on to make my life easier. Any breastfeeding mom of a completely healthy infant will tell you sometimes she can't remember which side she nursed from last...add in a whole bunch of additional things you have to remember to monitor or dose or record or whatever and things can go to poo poo really quickly.

Hdip posted:

When do you take a baby to the dentist for the first time?

I took my son in for the first time at somewhere between 12 & 15 months. They did a quick look and cleaning and took x-rays (although I think the x-rays are atypical? My son's syndrome carries with it a possibility of some adult teeth being missing, so she did x-rays to check the tooth buds and make sure they were all there). He's seen her every 6 months since then for cleanings. Speaking of which, he's got an appointment at the end of the month - his first one with his 4 shiny new super sharp adult teeth! However, it seems common enough around these parts for kids to not see a dentist until 4 or 5 years old. There's a state requirement in California that each kid see a dentist by the end of their kindergarten year and there were at least a few in my son's kindergarten class who hadn't seen one yet when school started.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ben Davis posted:

How violent can a 7 month old really be? At that age, they're not trying to hurt someone on purpose. I'm sure you can manage to prevent him from damaging your baby.

Yeah, "violent" isn't really a characteristic I would attribute to a 7 month old...maybe more "has exceedingly poor motor skills". Babies pull hair, they accidentally scratch each other, they bonk heads together, when they start walking they will stomp on each other's feet and hands all the time - sometimes this results in tears, occasionally there's a bit of a mark for a few days, but there's not going to be permanent damage. If it bothers you, keep them a few feet apart - they're not exactly capable of cooperative play at that age anyway.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Dandy Shrew posted:

Anyone have any experience with a baby getting x-rayed? Rory had his 9 month check up with the community doctor, and despite everything looking fine for him, the doctor suggested getting him x-rayed to rule anything out because I had some pretty severe hip issues as a child, and ended up having a major surgery when I was 10. I've no problem with the appointment, because if I can avoid having him go through that nightmare, that's terrific. I'm just not sure what to expect.

Liam had his hips x-rayed at 11 months (and several times since - eventually had 2 surgeries to fix his problem, because his diagnosis came too late to fix the problem with a pavlik harness or frejka pillow). It isn't being particularly difficult - basically just "put him on the table, hold him in this position....ok, now hold him in THIS position....now this way...Ok, we're done." We go to Children's Hospital, so they're super fast and good at getting kid and baby xrays done with minimal fuss and delay because it's all they do. Just you know, have him wear easy to remove clothing, and if at all possible try to arrange the appointment on a day where someone of non-childbearing status can go in with him. They really try to avoid having me in the room for Liam's x-rays as much as possible (even though I'm not pregnant and I keep telling them I'm totally done having kids), so we try to schedule appointments so my husband or my mom come along for it.

He *does* cry, but mostly that's because he's got a fear of white coats (I can't blame him for that, I'd hate doctors too if I had his medical history) and because he doesn't like being held in place for 5 seconds. He generally starts softly crying the instant we turn left from the hospital entry doors to head for orthodpedics. I don't think it's the x-rays that are the problem though, it's the memory of the surgeries, the casts, and the cast removals (oh my god, THAT was traumatic). Last time we were in ortho for a checkup, any time anyone came into the exam room he scowled at them and said "Go away, monster."

Fionnoula fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 6, 2014

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Hey Dandy Shrew, Liam had a surprise ortho visit today! He was due for a checkup in the next few months and they had a cancellation so they called him in. X-rays went as I remembered from before: they had my mom lay him down and then hold his feet in a certain position and it was over in no time at all.

The verdict as it stands right now: right hip surgeries were successful, that joint looks great now and is growing fine. Left hip, which was never as bad as the right one and we've just been keeping an eye on while the surgeon hemmed and hawed about whether it was bad enough to warrant surgery...in the last year and a half, it resolved on its own. Normal looking hip joint, no surgeries! She'll keep following him with annual checkups until he gets closer to adult height, but for now it's looking like we're in the clear.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

greatn posted:

I had a very thick seven month beard, basically no shaving since my son was born. I shaved it off and I feel like now he doesn't recognize me any more, and gets upset whenever I'm hanging out with him by myself.

He'll get used to it, it will just take some time. I remember I was 6 or so when the military changed the facial hair standards while my dad was at sea. He left with the big old bushy beard he always had, returned 4 months later clean shaven. At first I was *terrified* of this strange pod person claiming to be my father. It took me a little while, but I got over it.

Also, we call my son's parts his penis and scrotum, with balls and testicles interchangeably used for the contents of said scrotum. When talking in a very general sense, we call it a crotch. Girls have vulvas and vaginas. Women have breasts. Everyone has nipples and a butt.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

VorpalBunny posted:

They make special diapers for overnight use, which are supposed to absorb more than usual, but they only seem to go up to size 5. You could also try overnight Pull-Ups or Good-Nights. We also use this trick - plastic waterproof pants over the diaper at night. Any leakage gets contained in the second layer.

The night diapers go up to size 6, my son wears them. I can never find them in stores (although you could perhaps ask the store to special order them for you). I have them auto-delivered from Amazon (discounts for auto-delivery! free Prime shipping! I get to sit on my rear end in my pajamas and the diapers just show up at my door!) FWIW, Amazon also has size 7 Pampers, but I honestly do not see how a 17.5 month old without some sort of growth disorder would wear a size 7 diaper. Perhaps you should look into a different *brand*, as different brands fit differently and some allow leaks while others in the same size work perfectly, and the brand that works for a newborn might not be the brand that works once they're walking. My son pees an INSANE amount at night, so he wears the night diapers with a booster pad in them.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

King Ramses posted:

For my earlier problem with talking I'd like to thank who suggested state assisted speech therapy. We have something like that in Oklahoma through soonercare, the only issue is money. I live with my girlfriend and child. Together we make too much money for assistance. If she applied as a single mother, the state would go after me for child support. Meanwhile together without state assistance we don't have enough to afford specialized care.

Meanwhile this is what my girlfriend sent me while I'm at work.

"Trying to get him to even point to his mouth for water has him shoving his head into the corner so hard his face is squishing
and now he is sitting in the floor in the corner
with is back to me
refusing to look at me
because I want him to nod if he wants water"

Is it possible this is just stubbornness? And if so how do you even go about curing that?

I'd suggest Early Intervention, which is a federally required program available in all states for children with disabilities and developmental delays, REGARDLESS of income. I looked up Oklahoma's program, it's called SoonerStart (http://ok.gov/sde/soonerstart). Call them and request an evaluation. You may be told you need a doctor to refer you to the program, in which case just take him to his regular pediatrician and ask for a referral to early intervention for a speech & language evaluation. Honestly, that doesn't sound like stubbornness, that seems like a kid completely checking out because he's aversive to what is being asked of him.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

zeldadude posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, since I figured the really new parents couldn't give any up.. Does anyone have any cloth diaper covers that they would be willing to sell? We already paid for the diaper service so all we need is the covers.

Check with your service, when we did a service for a while they had covers for rent or sale that were priced really reasonably - like I wouldn't think I'd have been able to save much buying used + shipping costs. Plus, you only need a few - I think we had 3 covers for the 3 months we used the service.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Mister Blueberry posted:

Hey guys, I got a question. My 9 month old son likes to grind his teeth all the time, and at first I thought nothing of it, never expecting anything serious would become of it. Yesterday I noticed he managed to chip a chunk of one of his lower teeth, damaging hisprecious little pearly whites even before he used them for anything worth mentioning.
Now, it's not like he doesn't have chewing toys, he loves them and chews on them regulary, but he still grinds his teeth and I'm a bit concerned that he'll damage them even more.

You might want to contact a pediatric dentist about having the chipped tooth sealed. There's not much they're going to do about tooth grinding in a child that young (and by not much I really mean nothing). My son's got a crossbite and managed to wear two of his teeth down to about half their typical height. When I asked his dentist about it, she said he's too young for any kind of bite plate or anything, and "it's just the baby teeth, those can get worn right down to the gumline, it's no big deal - they're going to fall out anyway." Teeth grinding is incredibly common in babies and small children and the great majority of them grow out of it before the age of 6. Until then, it's a matter of keeping an eye on the wear to seal them if needed, and providing alternatives like teethers and other things to chew on. If your child is not normally a grinder and suddenly starts, it can be an indicator of pain (like teething or earache).

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
Daylight Savings Time. And the twice annual week of sleep related insanity begins!

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

newts posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on how to baby-proof a staircase with a round bannister? We're moving to an older home with a very wide, ornate staircase. We'll need gates for both the top and the bottom. I've googled a bunch and seen some solutions, but nothing that looks super secure. We're not adverse to drilling into the wall, but I don't think we want to drill into the woodwork on the staircase.

Here's an example of what it looks like: http://www.pinterest.com/pin/1618549839531385/

You're looking for something like this superyard. This can be configured as a free-standing play yard or hardware mounted to the walls to curve around the stairway entrance: http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Superyard-Arched-Bronze/dp/B00ALOT5AG/ref=pd_sbs_ba_1?ie=UTF8&refRID=0SSQ3RR0D7X6WKJTVV2S
Or look for hearth or fireplace gates, they're all very similar to the one I linked.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

RazorBunny posted:

Does anyone have a favorite source of baby clothes that don't have a bunch of silly slogans on them? My friend is due pretty soon and doesn't want a bunch of "Mommy's Favorite" or whatever, just cute outfits. I'm probably going to give her a Biohazard creeper as a shower gift, since she's a scientist and babies are full of scary fluids, but that's more of a joke and I want to give her some nice stuff too. I've seen onesies and sets at Costco that just have cute animals on them and no words, but it's never a sure thing if they'll have them on a given day.

I think the nursery is decorated with dinosaurs, so cute dinosaur stuff might be good if anyone has a recommendation.

The Children's Place, Target, Carters. The silly slogans are pretty popular, but most stores also have a lot without slogans as well, you just have to dig through the racks a bit.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

AlistairCookie posted:

My favorite shower gift to give is a basket of Useful Things: Wipes, diapers, baby wash/lotion, butt paste, Tylenol drops, nail clippers, brush, socks, washcloths, etc. Not as much fun as clothes, but 110% useable--and will start being used immediately. I had one cousin specifically thank me because she was so focused on the crib, nursery furniture, bottle types, carseats, stroller, etc that she totally forgot that babies need toiletries too. ;) Also, gowns. Gowns are the very best thing for infants. No one wants to fuss around with snaps or poo poo like that in the middle of the night. Gowns are the best.
See, this is why things like toiletries, nose sucker bulbs, OTC medications and baby manicure sets are the best (and if she's planning to breastfeed -a tube of lanolin and some breast pads) - clothing can be really subjective, and not just by color choice. I HATED gowns. Tried them a few times because I got some as gifts, then turned around and donated them as quickly as possible. I was opposite you on the onesie thing too - I kept him in onesies as long as possible because he was the king of diaper removing.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

RazorBunny posted:

Maybe I'll just get the silly Biohazard creeper and then fill a basket with practical stuff like that. Let the aunties buy clothes.

My husband's cousin put together a basket like that for us, she used a baby bathtub as the basket, filled it with a variety of baby toiletries (like shampoo, babywash), a couple of (I am sure ridiculously expensive) organic hooded bathtowels and some washcloths. I really loved that gift, it was everything I needed to bathe my kid - I think he was 6 months old before I needed to buy lotion or babywash. It's basically what I give for showers now as well, but I tend to add things like the nail kit, some OTC remedies, and lanolin because those are the things you don't think about needing until you need them and then it's 2am and you haven't slept right for days and the idea of driving around to find an all night pharmacy just breaks your brain.

I'm not saying don't buy clothes, if you see something you absolutely love and HAVE to buy, then buy it. But she's going to end up with more tiny clothes than she knows what to do with even without you buying any of it.

Also when it comes to toys: Lamaze's Jacques the Peacock was the poo poo in my house. Everything else paled in comparison for a really, really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Chickalicious posted:

Your wife is crazy. Just decline the ones you don't want to go to. No one ACTUALLY expects the whole class to come. My kid had 4 birthday party invitations for the next month. I picked the one that was a low-key craft at the house kind of party and declined the rest on the pretense of previously made plans, which was actually true in one case.

Agreed. It isn't rude to not attend the party, it's rude to not call and tell them you won't be coming so they can appropriately plan for how many attendees to provide cake for. My son has been to 2 of 9 birthday parties he was invited to since the school year began, the rest I declined because they were for kids he doesn't really seem to hang out with in school, at times that were inconvenient for us, or were being held somewhere that I thought he would have trouble with (my son has special needs, Chuck E. Cheese is like his living nightmare).

No one really expects the entire class to come, and in the case of parties held at playgyms and bounce house joints, they're secretly hoping half of the kids DON'T show because the package deal only includes so many kids and after that point they have to start paying per head.