Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mnemosyne posted:

Does anyone have any links to some scientific sources saying that I don't need to ignore my baby to keep him from being spoiled? I'm getting this "spoiled" stuff from both my family and my husband's family. They will literally call me on the phone and say "you're not picking that baby up too much, are you?"

It's driving me insane, but I can't be too upset with them because I know it's what they were taught. I just need to teach them that that doesn't line up with current theories. But I need to show them something that carries more weight than some random baby website. Links?

My antenatal class teacher had a good phrase - "You can't spoil a baby, they have needs not desires".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hookerbot 5000 posted:

I think it's just about getting babies used to going to sleep in a cot rather than in someones arms, so that when they are older they are used to going to sleep on their own. From a baby point of view I guess it could be said that going to sleep in the same place you wake up is possibly less confusing than going to sleep in one place and then waking up somewhere totally different but I don't know how babies minds work and if they'd even notice that kind of thing.

IIRC the technique we learned was Feed, Play, Sleep, so they're always going to bed on a feed. And the key idea was, yes, letting them learn how to self-soothe, and that it's okay for them to go to sleep.

Two essential parts of it that often get missed are the very small window between a baby getting tired and a baby getting overtired (i.e. if you wait ten minutes past the bit where they're looking sort of glassy and jerky before you put them down, it's probably too late) AND the importance of hearing the different sorts of crying.

A baby that's completely hysterically losing its poo poo isn't going to sleep no matter how long you wait. But one that's crying loud for a few minutes, being quiet, crying less loudly for a few minutes, being quiet for longer, crying even less loudly, being quiet for even longer... very likely is. There's also a very different quality to the crying, it's more rote.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Awesome Kristin posted:

So Ben is just over 2 months and I've been going by what the pediatrician said last month about making sure he eats no more than 6 hours after he goes to bed. That worked out great and he usually would wake up like 15 minutes or so before my 6 hour alarm went off. Then I would feed him and he'd go right back to sleep for another 2-3 hours.

The past couple of days he hasn't been waking up on his own after 6 hours. I let him sleep another 15-30 minutes but I start to worry and wake him up to feed him before too long.

Should I let him sleep as long as he wants at this age, or is there a higher limit I should set my alarm to so I can wake him up? I just don't want to let him sleep 7 or 8 hours if he really needs to be eating sooner.

edit: he is breastfed

If he's not putting on enough weight you'll need to wake him, sadly. Our girl slept like a champ but wasn't getting enough weight gain so we had to start waking her up. But if he's hitting his targets just feel smug about your awesome little snoozemaster.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

FordCQC posted:

That sounds like my daughter her first year at day care, when we would pick her up she would be so happy she'd get overwhelmed and start bawling. Really young kids like this don't know how to process a lot of emotion very well so it's apparently just easier to cry. It's not always bad tears, I think.

That being said, we're starting to have tantrum problems with my almost 3 year old daughter. She's not acting out or anything, but if we turn the TV off before she wants or won't give her ice cream/candy for dinner (note these things have never happened, she's just got some serious wishful thinking going on) or something else that she seems to think is totally unfair she just loses it. These are pretty serious tantrums for her, screaming and thrashing, that can carry on for quite a while. We actually haven't had any success waiting her out, will that even work? What are your best dealing with a temper tantrum techniques?

Honestly I'd rather keep them from happening, but short of letting her pass out in front of the TV with a half-eaten pint of ice cream I'm not sure that's realistic.

Three year old being a three year old. You sort of have to beat her in this (as in 'win', rather than violence obv) unfortunately.

I'd try giving her lots of warning before you do things (tv off in five minutes... Two minutes... One minute), and being kind but implacable. Once she's been flipping out for a bit try doing something interesting that doesn't involve her, see if she ends her tantrum early.

But ultimately it's waiting for her to grow out of it :smith:

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

We did this and it helped some. Another thing that helps is holding a dry washcloth on their eyes while you pour the water on. All three of my kids went through this so it's fairly common.

My five year old is still like this. A dry cloth definitely helps.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

sheri posted:

The only person I know who has a baby that's about 3.5 months that "sleeps well" also ignored the wake ups and crying for several nights so the baby eventually gave up :(

I don't know about your friend, but that's a very uncharitable way to describe it. But CIO/Ferber is a holy war level discussion topic in various places so I'll leave it at that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Chickalicious posted:

Oh? How would you describe ignoring a crying newborn that is likely hungry or scared? That is a 14 week old baby. Barely a person. Why and how a parent could choose to ignore the cries of an infant at that age is beyond understanding.

Like I said: uncharitable. I think it's best to assume everyone loves their child and wants the best for them.

It's not as simple as ignoring, you're listening very carefully, and being very quick to hit the window where they're ready for sleep but not overtired (~5-10 min, when they're getting glassy eyed). Then you put them down, and if they grizzle you listen - a baby that's putting itself to sleep will cry a bit... be quiet... cry a bit less... be quiet for longer... cry even less... be quiet for even longer... and, eventually, sleep.

It's very apparent when they're not in that cycle, or are hungry, or are scared - it's a different sound, and goes up in intensity not down - and then you go in and calm them down.

This was five years ago so the details are hazy, but it worked very well and she settled into a routine in a couple of days. Her psyche: unscarred.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

skeetied posted:

I'm pretty sure that even the biggest proponents of CIO (including Ferber himself) do not condone doing it to a 3 1/2 month old infant.

3-5 months is actually what he recommends.

quote:

In a nutshell, Ferber says you can teach your baby to soothe himself to sleep when he's physically and emotionally ready, usually sometime between 3 and 5 months of age.

He recommends following a warm, loving bedtime routine and then putting your baby in bed awake and leaving him (even if he cries) for gradually longer periods of time. Putting a child to bed awake, says Ferber, is crucial to successfully teaching him to go to sleep on his own.

Parents are instructed to pat and comfort their baby after each predetermined period of time, but not to pick up or feed their baby. This routine is called "progressive waiting."

The suggested waiting time, which Ferber charts in his book, is based on how comfortable you are with the technique, how many days you've been using it, and how many times you've already checked on your child that night.

After a few days to a week of gradually increasing the waiting time, the theory goes, most babies learn to fall asleep on their own, having discovered that crying earns nothing more than a brief check from you.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

If anyone has a five year old girl I can testify that the new game (PS3, Xbox) Child of Light is absolutely delightful and gives a cleverly manageable amount of stuff to the kid to do on the other controller.

It's flawed in some ways, but I'm really enjoying playing through it with Katya.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cimber posted:

Maybe I am just an old fashioned fool, but I have not yet introduced my kids to the PS3 or computer games. I used to let my son play angry birds on the iphone, but have stopped for the most part as his behavior changed a bit (I know, correlation does not equal causation).

I'd rather have them running around outside than playing PS3.

Says me as I sit inside on a nice morning typing this. :p

I think screens in general make children more poorly behaved in the short term; I agree it's a matter for careful attention as a parent.

It's also a thing that can be very comfortably provided for good behaviour or withheld if your kid's being a ning-nong, and I really enjoy my daddy daughter game time, so I muddle along on that basis.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ynglaur posted:

I've found that, for my children at least, saying "Hop on up!" in a cheery voice after a fall is better than commiserating and sounding sad. Serious injuries are another matter, of course, but if you make it sound like no big deal, they'll keep trying and won't fall as much. When they do, they'll feel more empowered.

Yeah. I always sympathise in a brisk, 'oh dear, that sucks' kind of way and just whip her back to her feet.

The secret benefit is you can tell when they're really hurt because hoo boy waterworks (though only briefly).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sockmuppet posted:

I was that kid, and I am that 30-year-old. For me, the problem is that I'm a massive fidgeter, and that I hate uneven/rough edges on my nails/the skin surrounding them. I'll fidget with my hands, find a small "flaw", and pick and pick and pick at it - almost completely unconsciously. I'll catch myself doing it, stop, then start again within seconds. What helps me is a combination of having something else to fidget with, and avoiding rough edges. I keep a nail file with me AT ALL TIMES, and I knit a lot - if my hands are occupied, I'm not chewing/picking at them. So my suggestion would be to try to help her find something else to fidget with or that keeps her hands occupied and away from her mouth, and if her nails and the skin around is rough and cracked, help her file them smooth and moisturise to make them less "tempting" to pick and chew at. It's easier to keep from picking at smooth, healed skin. I think the key is to figure out exactly what causes her to chew her fingers and in what circumstances it tends to happen, and then adress those specific issues. An example: I know that if I zone out, I start picking automatically, so when I go to the movies, where I can't knit and I know that I'll be absorbed in the movie and start picking, I'll bring an unscented lotion and keep my hands occupied by rubbing it into the skin around my nails. It keeps my hands busy with something that's actually good for them, instead of damaging them.

Keep them smooth. That's the only thing that's ever worked for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Six year old just broke her collarbone: any goon wisdom to apply, or is it just keep it in the sling and wait it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

hooliganesh posted:

That's definitely an open-ended question probably addressed by a medical professional. How was the clavicle broken? Any difficulties breathing or general discomfort? Is the position of best comfort awkward-looking? I'd definitely err on the side of caution and have a pro take a look - the wife would murder me if I didn't.

Please keep us posted, as our 15-month-old seems loving getting banged up and I'm trying my best avoiding a trip to the ER for a broken bone(s).

Ah, no, she's been to the hospital and had it xrayed and she's got a follow up appointment in a couple of weeks. Good lord yes. I was just wanting any personal experiences with how long it took to heal and problems you ran into etc.