Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Canuckistan posted:

Any other parents of an ASD kid? My boy is six and was diagnosed two years ago as high-functioning autistic aka Aspergers.

Not a parent of an ASD kid, but I have taught a number of kids with ASD. High-functioning kids can be the best students. When he reaches school age, which is about now I'm assuming (Its six where I live), see if he's entitled to an educational assistant through some sort of disability funding. Again depends on your location.

Make sure he knows its okay to ask questions about social cues, explain them clearly to him like an instruction manual and make sure his teachers understand this. Kids with Aspergers tend to be incredibly literal. They can get confused.

Honestly though, high-functioning ASD kids don't seem too different from other kids. Most teenagers are clueless about how to be properly social, let alone little kids.

Konomex fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...
Tried swaddling, she'd generally hate it. Couldn't have her arms inside, kicked and kicked until it came undone and the blankets came off her.

Tried sleep sacks, she'd vomit/pee/poop on all of our sleep sacks in one night. Also I don't have a drier so getting them dry by the next night was tricky. Also, she was going through a size every week to week and a half so we decided to stop setting fire to our money.

She sleeps fine now with just a blanket loosely laid across her, tucked in so it can't work it's way over her face.

Any advice for getting her to sleep in her own bed? At the moment she demands to sleep on our bed, also my partner had some anxiety issues from the hospital, so I've pretty much been on the couch since she was born. Now she's getting older I want to transition her to her own cot, but she seems to think her cot is a great place to play rather than sleep. She'll lie there for ages giggling, rolling around and babbling to herself.

She's 11 weeks old and has slept in her cot before, but my partner got really anxious about her being in another bed. Now that that is mostly dealt with she's fine to move her into her cot.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Guh. As if getting her to sleep by herself were hard enough. My (almost) 12 week old daughter appears to be teething. Anyone have any tips for really young babies who are teething? She kind of chews but is actually pretty terrible at it.

We can see where the tooth is coming up, so she's definitely teething.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Update and a new question. Her teeth haven't popped through yet, they're doing that up down thingy... but she seems fine with it for now.

She doesn't enjoy tummy time very much, she prefers to sit up. We can get her to lie on her tummy for maybe 5 minutes maximum. She'll either start crying or roll over onto her back. She's 14 weeks now. She hasn't liked lying on her tummy since she was born.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Okay. She gets a lot of time lying on us diagonally. She's had strong neck muscles since birth so we're not worried about that. It's more when it comes time for her to crawl.

She loves to sit up and she can almost pull herself to a sitting position now. I let her lie on her back on her play mat with all of her toys and she'll roll around and wriggle to get to the toys she wants, so she's pretty happy with that.

Is wriggling places normal for a 3-4 month old? She does it a lot. One time she rolled and wriggled right under her crib, then got upset because she hit a leg and couldn't wriggle in that direction anymore.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

ChloroformSeduction posted:

ETA: Does anyone have any recommendations for children's music that doesn't drive you insane? I like Jack Johnson, and Bobs & Lolo have been pretty popular, but some of it drives me insane.

Try some classical music or jazz? Kids don't have to be consigned to a hellish existence of only kid bands until they segue into pop.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Actually, They Might be Giants did a good kids album with lots of sciency stuff. Numbers and other things too.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Marchegiana posted:

My youngest we noticed early on was having issues with certain sounds. At her 3-year checkup the pediatrician told us it was because she was tongue-tied, and sent us to an ENT. The ENT was reluctant to snip it because of her age, and recommended we try speech therapy to help her work around it. That was when we started the long process to get her into the county program, which took almost a year. She's shown noticeable improvement since then, and now it's only the Th- sounds that seem to still give her trouble.

I can make sounds like Th- from that but I cannot distinguish between the Ff sound and the Th- like Father, I pronounce it fa-fer. Mostly people don't notice, when they ask me to repeat myself I just go through the tongue motions to make the noise.

Literally cannot tell the difference between the two. No one picked up on it until I was 15. Every now and again someone notices.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

randomfuss posted:

I was starting to think I am a freak. I get 30% more milk in 30% less time with a manual than a double electric I have an Avent manual one.

Same thing for my partner. She uses an Avent manual as well.

Drives me crazy because I paid so much for the electric one...

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

deadly claris posted:

We had a HUGE battle with my son's skin for at least a year, where his face, ankles, and backs of his knees were broken out with terribly dry, itchy, bleedy eczema patches. We took him to a pediatric derm. and tried cortisone creams combined with strong steroids, followed the directions to a fault, but nothing helped. They just kept increasing dosage, and then said the next step would be oral steroids rather than topical. We tried not using any soap, using oatmeal in his baths, rubbing him down with hydrating lotion, Eucerin cream, blahblah.

I kept asking them to allergy test him, because I had noticed that when he ate less dairy, his eczema began to clear up. We were told he would not be tested because he was under 1, that we should stick to the steroids, and that "natural remedies" we were using (various creams made from skin-healthy herbs and foods, vitamin e oil, etc.,) which helped him more than the steroids and cortisone creams (and we didn't have to worry about him rubbing his skin and getting any of it in his mouth,) should not be given any mind.

We cut dairy out of his diet all together, regardless of several of the derms thinking it wouldn't do anything. His skin cleared right up. Whenever he accidentally has dairy now (people sometimes forget to use his butter for his food and instead use regular butter,) his eczema breaks out again and he sometimes gets all Exorcist Projectile Vomitous. He can eat most foods with dairy baked/cooked in to it, like cakes, brownies, etc., but nothing like scrambled eggs, a glass of milk, or mac and cheese.

To make a long story short: Even if you think it might not be a food allergy, it may be. You may want to consider eliminating dairy from your foodstuffs and see how he responds to your breastmilk after that?

How old was he when this was happening? Our child health nurse told us not to give our child any dairy until around 8-10 months and only then processed dairy. Things like cheese or where the milk had been cooked into something.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Seconding finger puppets, shooting down diapers. I know they get used heaps, but we get so many sometimes they don't all get used when she goes up a size.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Does everyone pretty much do the Santa thing? We're not there yet, but I'm a little uneasy with the idea. At the same time, I remember how great the idea of Santa is. Is there some sort of middle ground? Like, telling them it's a big group pretend?

We're planning to do Santa for the first time this year even though our baby won't remember it.

I think if you were raised with it it's a pretty good tradition to get in on. Join the great cultural lie, it'll be fun.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

iwik posted:

My little dude has been a drool monster for a couple of weeks, and for the last week or so started to get a bit fussy and try to shove his whole fist in his mouth and chew on it, so we're assuming teething is starting.

He's not 3 months yet though, so he lacks the dexterity to be able to hold and chew a thing himself, so what can we do? Just hold it so he can gum it up?

Also he has white areas on his gums in all 4 spots where his canines would eventually be. They're not raised lumps or small dots, they are about the diameter of a pea I suppose.. the gum is pink around them then a real pale cream/white colour. That wouldn't be those teeth starting to rear their heads would it?

Our nurse said that babies tend to start drooling a lot around that age and because they don't have a swallow reflex yet it just sort of... comes out. They'll also start to try putting stuff into their mouth which makes the drooling worse - like their hand.

We thought it was teething too (which it was) but the nurse said the symptoms could be explained away by normal baby things.

If you put stuff in hinds hands he should be able to hold them, he might drop them, but he might get the hang of it? I put a rattle in my daughters hand and after a week she was grabbing things and sticking them in her mouth. On the other hand my daughter doesn't like to do things when babies normally should.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

My daughter, who will be four months tomorrow, has decided that she wants to crawl. She cannot wait. She started doing what other parents are telling me is called a commando crawl but I've taken to describing as 'the sort of thing you'd see a paraplegic doing who fell out of his chair' but she kicks up with her knees as well.

We thought it might be a freak accident of hers but she's been doing it all day, any time you put her down she'll do it for a bit then get tired and start yelling in frustration because she's tired.

Tonight she crawled a good metre before getting stuck with her head wedged into a piece of furniture. Kept trying to crawl though, just got more and more annoyed.

Anyone else have a baby who just can't wait to move? She even tries to crawl over onto furniture when she's sitting on us to grab whatever takes her fancy.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

My partner has younger siblings and her parents make great use of a simple kitchen timer. When it rings you need to get out. Or you've got 3 minutes of teeth brushing then reset it for 5 minutes of shower time. Get one of those ones that ticks down and shows how long left, put it somewhere your kid can see it.

That's probably how I'll do it when my kid is old enough to shower themself. Either that or pop them in the bath, the beauty of a bath is it can be as long as they like because they are not wasting water - if you make them have it earlier in the night it won't cut into sleep time either. That's if you have a bath though.

Baths are fun as heck though, I had a billion bathtoys as a kid and some toys that weren't bathtoys but were commandeered into the bathing fleet.

My little 4 1/2 month old got her schedule all messed up over Christmas. Was worried it would majorly throw her out like the last time we travelled and stayed with relatives to show her off. She seemed happy most of this time and she got back to trying to crawl today. She's getting up on her knees now but her arms/back aren't quite strong enough to get up on her hands and knees so she sort of does a weird butt in the air, drag herself along the floor thing.

Whatever, it works. She's been "crawling" around from Christmas toy to Christmas toy having a great time. "Crawled" right off her mat and into a washing basket, because she's a much better climber than she is a crawler. Fun to watch. She'd pause between her constant frustrating whining to look up at me and smile, giggle, then go back to screaming as she pulled herself around.

I want to get her a little army outfit and pretend she's been shot. 'Meeeedic, Meeeedic!'

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

I too would worry more about cars then abductions. Abductions are super rare. You're probably more likely to have a car plow into the front yard actually... not 100% sure about that statistic though.

If the kids know not to leave the front yard and to run inside/yell for help if anyone comes into the yard or try to take them out of it then let them play. I used to play out front all the time as a kid, heck, we used to play cricket and hockey in the street.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

foxatee posted:

Well, those were the days. Things aren't as safe anymore. My husband told me a story once about this guy who tried to kidnap him when he was a child. Apparently the would-be kidnapper used the old "Your mom sent me to pick you up" line. So kid hubby ran away. Unfortunately his parents didn't believe him. :(
Just talk to your kids about Stranger Danger and what's not cool (like running off without telling you or something) and you'll be okay.

I can't work out if you're joking or being serious. Things are just as safe as they were in those days. Actually, they're probably safer in some regards. The only reason they don't seem as safe is because the media and the internet make any child abductions so much more known about. If your child is going to get abducted, it's more likely to be someone they know.

Just keep an eye on them and teach them how to be safe, children should feel safe to play in their neighbourhoods.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Yeah, I'll be trying that when my kids old enough. Also, I'll tell her what my Nan taught me. Hit a man in the balls and give women nipple cripples if you need to get away fast.

My nan was awesome.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

In my state/country you're supposed to have them rear facing for the first six months and then in a child safety seat with a five point harness until they're seven. My daughters almost 5 months and she's almost topped the height for her seat which will then need to be swapped to forward facing.

Should I be concerned and splash out for a bigger rear facing seat? I'm not sure how easy they'll be to get in my country. On the other hand I'm a pretty safe/defensive driver so I'm not likely to get into any accidents.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

rectal cushion posted:

I would definitely get a rear facing seat for a child that young. Being a careful driver means nothing if someone else hits you.

If someone rear ends me the baby will be propelled backwards, which means that a forward facing seat would be preferable in that sort of situation. Unless someone swerves into my lane and hits me front on.

Ben Davis posted:

I'm not sure where you live, but I'd really encourage you to get a convertible car seat. They let you rearface until 40 lbs (depending on the seat) and then you can turn them around if you have to and don't have access to bigger rearfacing seats.

edit: Here's that video that compares the two. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mFsXNXOLw

I've got a convertible seat, but my child is very very long and quickly approaching the point at which the seat manufacturers say to turn it around. She'll run out of leg space essentially. I'll take a look around for different models.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Chickalicious posted:

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

And leg room is not an indicator of whether your child has outgrown a seat. It's based on where his head is and what the recommendations are from the seat manufacturer.

What I meant to say was that the only way her head would stay below the indicator line is if her legs stuck out the end of the seat, which won't happen because the actual car seat is in the way. She's almost to the point the seat manufacturers say she needs to be turned around.

Most severe crashes are frontal crashes, the cause of those crashes is most often the drivers fault. So if I am being a safe driver then I am unlikely to get into an accident - no accidents in the last 10 years (bar one dude rear ending me in a driveway turn off). Unless someone swerves into the front of my car, or changes lanes and throws on the brakes immediately, I am unlikely to get into an accident.

But yes, rear facing looks a lot safer. I'm just not sure it'll be easy to get the appropriate seat for my country or my car. It's pretty cramped back there with the current rear facing seat.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Fionnoula posted:

Here is some information on car seats in Australia. It appears that a convertible seat that does rear facing to at least a year is not so hard to find. Just so you know, my son has a Britax, which apparently is sold as Safe-n-Sound in Australia, and it takes up less space rear facing than his infant capsule did. Also, bend the baby's legs so they don't stick out and hit the actual seatback.
http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/123214-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

Also, I think that to say most car crashes are frontal and those are most often the driver's fault and since you are a safe driver, it's ok is really willful ignorance. I'm an EMT - do you know how many "safe" drivers I've pulled from vehicles? Here's a clue: an awful lot. Cars crossing over from oncoming traffic into your lane when there's nothing you can do about it: frontal crash. Mechanical failure of the vehicle: frontal crash. Get rear-ended and pushed into another vehicle/tree/wall/road barrier: your rear end crash just became a frontal crash. Dog or small child runs into road, causing you to swerve into the guardrail: frontal crash. People swerve in front of other cars, change lanes without looking, and slam on their brakes all the time.

Just because you haven't had it happen to you doesn't mean it can't. Buy the car seat and then in 5 years, go ahead and laugh at how we were silly and overprotective because you didn't get into an accident. Hindsight really is 20/20, but I'd rather have hindsight tell me that I made a good choice in spending some extra money to ensure my child would have been safe in case of an incident that never occurred than to have it tell me that I should have spent it and didn't and as a result my child was harmed.

Yeah, I used to train EMT's. But I am actually a safe driver. A proper one. Taking a ton of defensive driver training and other things. I'll just stick her legs up in the air. I've got a Britax.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Have you tried a baby hot water bottle? Worked on my daughter (up until Mom wanted to sleep with her due to anxiety issues) and I'm told it worked on me as a kid.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Capslock Holmes posted:

I'm starting to lean towards irregular pooper to be honest. My MIL said that my wife had similar problems when she was little, maybe not as bad as ours though. How important is mom's diet? If we load mom up on water and fiber will that affect her milk?

e: I think we're stuck with church groups as far as 'new parent groups' go which makes me sad.

We were told to drink a large glass of water everytime my partner breastfeeds, if she doesn't drink one she gets headaches and a massive thirst. I'd think that water's important. Fibre doesn't exit the digestive system at all though, it merely helps to push out waste.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

VorpalBunny posted:

Thanks for the advice, everyone! It seems the consensus is to talk to the friend first, and the wife as a backup. My biggest concern (besides the welfare of his child) is messing up our friendship, especially because our kids are so close, but this is too big of a deal to let slide.

He is a rather infuriating dude to argue with most of the time so I don't expect things to go well if I don't phrase this right. I'll probably put it in the context of "if you get busted by the cops it could blow all the money you've put into this adoption thing" instead of "you are a loving idiot for putting your kid's life in danger so casually".

No matter what happens, I don't think I'll be leaving my kid alone in his care anytime soon. It just makes me wonder what other careless stuff he is doing that I haven't seen or heard about yet.

Is he your friend on social networking? Share this video with him.

Crash test: Child in mothers arms.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

bamzilla posted:

I used to love the spray on stuff because of how easy it was but 1) you run out of it fast (duh, there's a LOT less) so you're using 2-3x more than you'd use in a lotion form and 2) you don't know how extensive the coverage is. I found this out personally the hard way and ended up with really awful sunburn last year during my pregnancy.

On this topic. I used to buy bulk sunscreen and just refill my sunscreen spray bottle with it. The trick is to spray it on like crazy and then just rub all over like you would if you were applying regular sunscreen.

I haven't seen baby sunscreen in bulk though.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

iwik posted:

How young is too young for 'independent play'?

We picked up a nice big playpen in a sale recently and have it set up with a nice soft duvet floor and a stack of baby toys in there. He's 24 weeks now and is shuffling along the floor so he can get around fine to the toys he wants.

Is it terrible for me to pop him in there while I go off to do stuff (clean/shower/whatever) for up to 15 minutes at a time when he can amuse himself? All the toys are super safe with no bits that can fall off or anything.

I normally pop him in his cot and/or do it while he's sleeping at the moment.

Not sure what the official word is on this but my daughter is seven now and we've been leeting her do independent play since just before six months. She'd go anywhere from 5-20 minutes before yelling out for us. Now she's seven months and will go playing for half an hour without us in the room, waaaay longer if we're there to smile and talk to her. Right now she's on the floor playing with her toys and having a ball.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

SassySally posted:

I'm having a mental battle. My son is nearly 6 months old and breastfed. My intent has always been to breastfeed/ pumped bottle feed him for the entire first year. Ben has, however, developed a strong and almost aggressive interest in our food. If he's being fussy during dinner I'll hold him, which leads him to do everything in his power to get my food. I'm concerned that if I start any solids (which I know full well he doesn't NEED at all) that he'll stop breastfeeding. Any advice or insight?

Agreement with other parents here.

We were going to wait till 6 months to introduce food to our daughter but she got so interested in our food at four we just let her play with it and eat it. She's seven months now and we'll steam up whole vegetables and she'll sit there chewing bits off of them. 3 meals a day she eats a surprising amount. The recommendation from our health nurse was to give them breastmilk a bit before a meal because that is packed with what she really needs.

Also, in Australia it's recommended you start giving them meat around 6-7 months because their bodies store of iron begins to run low. Stick blenders are awesome for this.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

frenchnewwave posted:

Those of you with infants or who can remember the first year, do you buy into the Wonder Weeks thing? According to it, Vivian is in a WW stage that will last another 17 days. She has been clingy, fussy, and sleep is just a joke. Part of me thinks WW is just bullshit but the other part hopes that in 17 days she'll sleep through the night again.

Yeah. Grumpy stages seemed to line up. I think she's pretty much left them in the dust from 4 months onwards though. The idea behind WW seems sound, teenagers get grumpy when their brains undergo redevelopment as well.

Question: How long from standing on their own to walking was it for other peoples kids. My daughter and mom went to visit relatives for a few days and while we were joking about her deciding to walk while she was away she has actually finally got her balance, stands on her own just fine, and just today tried a few steps before falling down. Will she be walking when she gets back or is it likely I won't miss her first proper walk?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

All kids are different so it is hard to predict, but our guy was pulling up on furniture at 8 months, standing independently at 9, started cruising at 10, and was walking unassisted at 11. But he has always been big on moving, this kid never sits still -- he prefers playing while standing so that he can move around the room with the toys.

How do you define "her first proper walk"? A few steps holding someone's hands? Cruising along furniture? Walking X distance unassisted? If they are only away for a few days, I doubt you will miss her walking. But be prepared for lots of bending over holding her hands in your near future!

Walking X distance unassisted. She does all the other stuff and she's a week shy of 9 months. She's been cruising along objects for a good 2 months now but she's gotten really good at it lately. Walking with someone holding her hands, even longer. Maybe 4 months. She's just been getting balance. Last 2 weeks she hasn't really been holding onto objects as much as before, just sort of placing her hand on them.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Hah. My daughters name isn't even in the top 1000. It's oddly popular with dogs though. Bummer that.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

iwik posted:

Oh man, every time I see taller people pushing umbrella strollers my back aches in sympathy. Those things are always so low, I guess that's the price you pay for their compactness though.

I've seen Maclaren strollers with adjustable handles, they are similar to the umbrella kind but are fancier (and more expensive) than your average $20 umbrella stroller though.

Ugh. Our first pram was too low for me and I'd have to push it weirdly. Got an umbrella stroller with extra long handles and its awesome. Then we got given a second hand pram with adjustable strollers and I'm in pram heaven.

I honestly think makers of most baby products think Dad's don't do anything. Dad's being generally taller.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Twatty Seahag posted:

It's actually gotten easier as she gets older. I always used to do it after a bath so her nails were really soft. Now, I can bribe her and do so unashamedly. She watches me file and paint my nails so she gets excited to "do her nails." We have to keep them very short because she's really active outside and her greatest joy is digging in dirt/sand.

Just to note, if you clip them too short (behind where the hangnail starts) they can develop ingrown nails.

We cut our daughters nails either when she's nursing, or now that she's started to wean onto solids only, when she's asleep.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

shadysight posted:

If the baby ever develops a runny nose, they can't really take care of it themselves. There's bulb suckers for that, but my wife and I have preferred this thing, since we find it easier to use, and to tell if it's clean.

Holy crud. I need this. Keep going to use the bulb sucky thing on my daughter because snot just ... there's so much snot. She's inherited my fathers (and so my) sinuses. It's like a cup of snot in her head. Problem is, I can't get enough continuous suction and she's not a fan of the feeling of snot being dragged millimetre by millimetre from her skull.

There's a chance of sucking your babies snot into your mouth though, right? I mean, that's a long tube, but still... is there like a filter in the bottom of the syringe looking thing?

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

frenchnewwave posted:

My advice is to not sweat it. Vivian hated tummy time so drat much at that age. I would try to force her on her tummy a few times a day but would only last a minute or so. Now at 7 months she plays and sleeps on her tummy no problem. We held her up a bunch, propped her up with pillows, over the nursing pillow etc so it wasn't like she was flat on her back all day. She mastered neck control with the best of them :)

I'm curious for my next child (we're trying for the second now), what age do children normally develop neck control? My wife's family has this genetic mutation where they're born with total neck control from birth. Might not happen with the next one and I'm a little worried because I never had to bother with the support the neck stuff. The midwives would be all 'Oh no! Support her neck!' and my daughter would just chill holding her head up.

Chickalicious posted:

I have the fisher price booster. We've used that since he started solids at 6 months. It's cheap, easy to clean, and portable (perfect for trips to Nana's, vacations, etc). And now that he's bigger, we use it without the the tray just as a booster seat to our regular table.

Edit: This is the one we have. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Green/dp/B004C43JJ4/ref=pd_cp_ba_0 Babies R Us had it on sale one time AND I had a coupon, so I got it for $15. Best baby purchase ever.

Also - we've got this and it's great. The straps can get a bit gunky but I just blast em with a steam cleaner.

shadysight posted:

Thank you for the suggestions, everyone. I've actually already been working on cooking during the weekends for the week for myself, but I've had trepidation about depending on the kid eating the sorts of things that my cooking muse comes up with, like spinach/tofu/sweat potato casserole, or red bean and split pea soup. He really did like the latter tonight though, which was a big surprise to me.

Now if only I had written down the recipe.

Echoing the 'whatever we eat' advice. I'm sure your kid will love whatever messed up food you come up with, unless you're a terrible cook like my father was. Poor man could only ever make spaghetti after 20 years of trying to master the dish. Oh, and he could boil an egg perfectly.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

FordCQC posted:

Ok, we have definitely be doing very similar things so far. Was just hoping there was some secret we hadn't discovered yet. Thanks.

Someone had told me trying to be understanding during a child's tantrum is the best way to diffuse it. Acknowledge they're upset and why they're upset and explain why they can't have/do the thing they want. Give them a hug if possible.

I use this on my daughter because I was a major tantrum haver as a kid and my parents had no idea how to deal with it, they'd just let me rage for hours at a time in public and walk off. My daughters 14 months and throws some pretty big wobblies if I'm not there to diffuse them, her mother just yells at her to stop because she's being naughty.

We're working on the not yelling at our child thing.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Volmarias posted:

On a somewhat related note, my 16 month old really gets upset when I wash her hair in the tub, even if it's just with water and no wash or shampoo. She's fine with anything else, but water dripping into her face makes her cry. This is relatively new as of a couple of months ago, so I'm not sure what's going on. Does anyone have a recommendation on how to get her to calm down about this, or not get upset in the first place?

On an unrelated note, she's learning to count and can correlate the numbers with things! When I read her Goodnight Moon, she'll grab my finger and point to the things I describe, and count out loud. Now if only she could figure out which holes the shapes go into :3:

If it's just the water in the face you can buy a thingo that you use to rinse their hair with a rubber lip that wraps onto their forehead, you tip their head back and their face stays dry.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Our kid was beginning to eat at 4 months (her choice, not ours), eating whatever we ate at 12 months (helps that she got her front teeth). Just introduce a new food every 3rd day until you've done all the foods you can think of, that is what we did. That way you can pick up on any allergies as well.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

An Cat Dubh posted:

Thankfully she's not his regular health care provider. The government (we're in Ireland) basically has Public Health Nurses make periodic checks on kids here as they grow up. At least it's free and he doesn't have to be seen again until between 18-24 months. He has a regular GP who he goes to for vaccinations and actual health care. I'd just hoped she's have a bit of helpful advice, but nope.

Have you considered putting in a complaint to the service provider? That sort of advice is just stupid.

There's no way you can stop your kid catching germs off other kids, our doctor told us it was normal for children to catch mild diseases when they're socialising. Helps to develop their immune system, they're getting exposure so you just have to suck it up. Get them vaccinated against anything nasty and hope someone doesn't let their sick kid come to play with yours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

Sockmuppet posted:

We seem to be stuck in the Great Wail of 2014, where my just turned one year old starts screaming pitifully the minute things don't go her way. (If I'm around. If I'm not, then she's the worlds happiest toddler, according to reports and what I can hear when I'm in another room. I take it as a compliment, since apparently all the wailing and flopping about means that she feels secure and loved with me, yay :v:)

She can say a few words, hello, hi, good bye, mama, dada, baaaa for sheep and "want that!!", and she babbles non stop, and to me it seems that most of her frustration (expressed in waaaaailing) stems from the fact that she wants something, and I'm a complete idiot who can't understand her when she's telling me repeatedly, clearly and loudly. Please tell me that my theory is true, and that once she figures out more language she'll stop with the howling and gnashing of teeth (well, temporarily, until she finds something new to be upset about), because this is getting old pretty quickly.

Seconding the 'they can understand words but not say them'. With my daughter I taught her to point pretty early, sometimes that didn't work so I'd pick her up and move her around until she'd make noise and reach out. Like a baby metal detector or something, never had a tantrum with that method.