Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My daughter turns two in January and she had more fun running to the door to greet trick or treaters than actually going out and getting candy :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We are working on saying "please" with our two-year-old daughter and as cute as her "PEEEEASE" are, the shrieking for Wheels on the Bus (as "MO BUS") is, most assuredly, agonizing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We are visiting my in-laws this weekend to celebrate four (!) different birthdays in January, including my daughter's. They are also watching my niece who is barely 1, and my father-in-law has a weird hangup about where the kids sleep and insisted they be in the same bedroom together.

My wife and I, and my mother-in-law, posited that it wouldn't work out the best, given their different sleep cycles and such. He persisted. We told him he would be up with them if they woke each other up.

He has been up since 5. :v:

it's not as bad as it sounds, they went back to bed and they love the hell out of those kids, but I hope we all learned an important lesson here today

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My daughter will always point out who in the room tooted

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I was legitimately stunned by how much daycare cost in and around DC when I was living there. IIRC, it has some of, if not the, highest childcare costs in the nation and for even basic home daycare we were looking at thousands of dollars a month for just "ok" facilities.

It's definitely much lower here in Providence and we are at a stellar daycare facility with top marks and fancy poo poo and we are paying a third of the cost these days.

Just the worst loving system

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My kid's daycare is great but they never send enough photos:arghfist:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

calandryll posted:

My wife and I were reading in bed last night when we heard some kitchen cabinets open and closed. Wife said it was probably the cats, I got up to check on the kiddo and nope not in bed. She moved like a ninja, we didn't hear a door open, or see her, or hear her footsteps, to get some more fruit snacks.

Hell yeah lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Good-Natured Filth posted:

What are people's thoughts on braces for young kids? My 7yo has several classmates in first grade with braces, and at her recent dentist visit, they said they may recommend them for her next visit. She's only lost 2 of her baby teeth. Am I too old school in thinking braces with baby teeth seems silly?

That's a bit wild unless there are issues with impacted teeth, developing a serious overbite/underbite, jaw stuff, etc - I had braces for years but only after pretty much all my baby teeth had fallen out, which was helped by playing hockey constantly.

I was fortunate enough to win the genetic lottery with how healthy my teeth have been from the start, but I had an overbite and some serious crowding issues that took a long time to correct. At one point I had braces, used rubber bands, a retainer, and headgear but thankfully only at night. By the time I was in 7th grade or so, they were ready to come off and although my lower teeth crowded in just a tiny bit, it can't be understated what it does to confidence, your appearance, all that

We never had any weird stuff pushed on us like spacing teeth out unless it was absolutely needed, but my mouth was hosed up when I was younger so I'm thankful my family had the money to get it done

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My child only napped for a few minutes today and she has become a terrorist sabotaging everything

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We are a few weeks out of getting ear tubes in and we still haven't had any issues with her ears. Hope it holds because we can't do another season of infections on a constant basis. I can't remember the last time she went this long without one

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

remigious posted:

A van went up in flames right next to my little dude’s daycare!! Right next to the playground. Everyone is safe, but I am now seriously questioning the safety of the neighborhood.
Having a child is just so terrifying, my anxiety is getting the best of me right now.

dad gay, so what strikes again

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Glad my 2 year old is excited about having a sister because looks like she is officially on the way, in-laws are already driving here to look after my daughter while we go to the hospital shiiiiiiiiit

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Baby's here, perfect health, wife is doing great, exhausted, still crying

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Just wanted to say thanks for all the well-wishing. We arrived at the hospital at around 2, were able to sleep for a few hours to gain back some measure of strength, and then started the whole thing in earnest at around 7. My wife's first pregnancy was an induction, and it was 30+ hours of pure hell and was a rough time. She's also an incredibly tough lady and got out our second daughter this morning at around 9 a.m. with just three or four pushes.

Baby is beautiful, healthy, perfect - just like her sister. The two got a chance to meet this afternoon and her older sister was all about hugs and little kisses and whispering "I luhh you baby" and it's hard to type that and not get misty eyed.

Our oldest is only 2, so trying to introduce the idea of a sibling is a bit of a challenge. Nonetheless, she was excited to bring home "her baby" and we look forward to including her in the day-to-day care for her little sister (when not granting us the mercy of attending her daycare, anyway).

My in-laws are incredible people and made the 90-minute trek from Connecticut to Providence at midnight last night when the contractions began to ramp up. Her pop and grandma are definitely her two favorite people so I'm always prepared to drop from second place to fourth place. Now I think I'll be in a solid fifth place.

Fine by me.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I think I know all of Moana and Frozen by heart at this point

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My 2.5 year old has insisted on removing her diaper because it shifted just slightly off her butt so clearly it needs to be replaced

She is disassembling the small toilet in the living room and attempting to wear the seat as a hat.

If she doesn't hold her one month old sister the way she wants, she lets out a scream that shatters all the windows

Her grandparents are an hour away

Is this what Krillin felt like when he was waiting for Goku to get back from King Kai's

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Terrible Twos really are a thing huh

As much as I love visiting the in-laws for backup, and it's awesome to see how much my oldest loves her grandma and pop, she definitely is not a fan of dad during this time. We had some other family over the other day for fathers day and she was amazing with her cousin who is about a year younger. Seeing her lead them around by hand and helping them stand up and sit down was awesome

Having to deal with her habit of throwing things and shrieking in frustration???? Not so awesome

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

External Organs posted:

The shaking in rage is something I'd not expected but here we are. We are for sure related to chimps.

Holy hell, same, my oldest just loving quakes with anger at times

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oh cool, my daycare sent out an invitation for an "Emergency Meeting" tomorrow for all families, complete with a Zoom link

This is a first and we have had only good experiences so far but ughhhh do I even want to know what the gently caress it's going to be about???

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lol that is not helping my paranoia!!!! gently caress!!!!

I'm just unsettled by it, and I'm hoping it's some stupid poo poo about parents sending their kids in when they're obviously sick too often

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Renegret posted:

Ohhhhh my money's on that they're shutting down at the end of the month

the only saving grace here is my job decided not to renew my contract this year which has been both a brutal turn of events with how they handled it but also a blessing since it came right as our second kid was born

I officially stopped working in April but my contract paid out until this month so I had a good amount of time at home to help with the kids, and if it is something as drastic as shutting down, I'll at least be able to hang out at home while job hunting

not sure about everyone else's situation, though :smith:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Update: yep, their location is shutting down because of the landlord being an rear end in a top hat, cool, nice, great, love landlords

They do have two other locations, so we are going to try to hustle to get a spot in them because they have been awesome for us and it sucks to lose out on it. I'm in the running for three different positions right now but because they're all in higher ed, the vetting and approval process moves at a glacial pace. I don't know when/where I'll end up in the coming months and the two locations are on opposite ends of the Providence area.

The lady running the place was in tears and an absolute wreck as they had been there for over a decade and only a small number of teachers will be moving over. I also feel bad for my daughter who tells us every day about her friends and the teachers that adore her to an insane degree, but in the end I know she'll be fine.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hadlock posted:

That super sucks, sorry

Thanks. We were able to get a spot on lockdown ASAP after spending time exchanging emails and phone calls the other day so at the least the kids will stay in the same system.

One of her older teachers will be at the new spot, too, which is nice but it will be interesting to see how the adjustment goes

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Kids are at the grandparents for a few days and I miss them even though they are also evil goblin-like creatures

I love em

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Koivunen posted:

One of my good friends had one kid, tried for another and had twins. Her husband got a vasectomy after that. However, vasectomies are only 99% effective and now they are expecting baby #4.

Skeezy posted:

Dog don’t do this to me

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We were on the same page from the start when it came to stopping at two kids and it was definitely the right decision. Our second is just over a month old now and unlike her older 2.5-year-old sister, she sleeps and wakes for food like clockwork and it has been a million times easier on my wife and I. I can't imagine adding another little demon to the fold

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My wife is convincing my 3 year old that my poop is the only poop in the house that smells and I am feeling personally attacked rn

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Potty training has gone great for my 3 year old, but daycare has been a massive help with that. She got bumped into the preschool program and we only occasionally have accidents. Can't imagine doing it without help from her school

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

3-year-old daughter happily uses one of the small toilets we have but is hit or miss on wanting to go in the big kid toilet, but we are trying. Typically if she announced she has to go, I can quickly encourage her to go to the real bathroom and that has a decent success rate, but the challenge now is getting her to understand how to wipe

I'm wondering if her sister, who just turned 9 months, will be better as she watches her sibling constantly and desperately wants to follow even though we haven't quite gotten crawling down

Really, the potty training isn't the hard thing now. My 3yo is still having trouble sleeping through the night as her imagination has been gaining steam so she's worried about everything from "bad guys" to "bad noises". She will climb out of bed or call for us and it is wildly inconsistent. We are doing our best keeping her to a consistent schedule and being patient when she leaves her room, but my wife and I are ready to have even just an hour of our evenings back instead of putting her back in bed again and again

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Did your older kid really wipe herself at 3? I’m getting the impression from other parents that we shouldn’t expect a proper wipe to happen until they’re about 5-6. As in, a poop wipe, that is. My 5-year old is still calling for us to do it, so are we behind the curve on this?

Yeah I should be clear it is inconsistentto say the least. She wipes for pee all the time and is about 70-30 for needing help/wiping herself with poop. She actually does it very well when she puts her mind to it, but otherwise will shout for me or mom and then I come in and she is bent over and touching the ground with her rear end in the air waiting for me to help lol

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Oldest has a cold and I'm just assuming her little sister already has it because the runny noses are ridiculous today

We have dodged COVID for the most part. I think they've been positive maybe once or twice in the last year? Both handled it well and we're fine within a few days, and both have gotten their shots so I'm not terribly worried beyond usual parental paranoia.

Unrelated but my 3yo used water color to paint some pictures out of her undersea coloring book, so I've finally got my first artwork hanging in my office and they're masterpieces gdi, so nice to see

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

unknown posted:

Bring up a Bob Ross tutorial on YouTube and watch them attempt to make the paintings. (I recommend doing a quick preview of it and getting the colours needed ready though). The kids' abilities to follow instructions are really good at times.

awwwwwwwww man I had forgotten about Bob Ross, thanks for the reminder! my friend's kids would sit and try to follow along and it was cute as hell

we have one of those dry erase coloring books and my 3yo loves it, especially because it's a mix of blank pages, some illustrations to color in and add details, and bunch of pre-school activities and such. what rules even more is her tiny baby sister will crawl over, grab a (safely covered) marker, closely watch her older sister's hands move back and forth across the pages, and then does her best to imitate it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My daughter loves Moana and wears a bathing suit with her on it for her swim lessons and I appreciate that it's a good enough movie that it can be on often and I don't want to go insane

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Democratic Pirate posted:

Our first family flight is in September so we’ll have a 4yo and an 18 month old. I’m getting a preemptive 1000 yard stare whenever I think about how we’re going to navigate that whole thing.

If you don't already have it, 100% get TSA Pre Check as soon as possible because it will make your run through security a million times easier. We got it as part of Global Entry back when my wife and I were traveling a lot and it's impossible to go back, especially when you're not having to take tons of bullshit out of your bag

It may seem like a hassle to get it and you might not think you need it if you don't fly often but I'm telling you, it's so worth it

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Top Rhode Island health story on Boston Globe: Norovirus outbreaks seen across Rhode Island, health department says

I always forget it's that time of year, daycare is going to be wonderful

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Our 3 year old has her own bed but absolutely hates having the door closed even with a night light on and does the usual stalling when going to bed - asks for water, asks for her pillow to get fixed, asks for water again, wants to go pee, needs more water...

Last night was one of the worst. She got up far more than usual to come running in our room with this tired little cry and we just take her back to bed, because she just simply doesn't want to sleep

We have to wait until she is fully passed out before we close the door but we are trying our best to reason with her about closing it gradually, so fingers crossed we can get some of our evenings back into be coming year

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

We took an Amtrak train from Providence to Jersey this weekend and it went beautifully. My 3yo and 10mo were loving saints. They just sat and played, ate snacks, watched out the window, and got some time with the tablet toward the end. The youngest even snuck in a 90-minute nap to cap off an unusual Best Case Scenario Adventure.

Too bad bed time for my oldest is still a loving nightmare though. She gets out of bed to come and tell us she doesn't want to tuck herself into bed and grrrragghhhhh loving toddler brain dude!!!! You wouldnt have to do it yourself if you didn't get out of bed!!!!!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

My 10 month old did not avoid getting the ear infection gene that her older sister has, and officially has a double ear infection #blessed

The blame rests entirely on my wife tbh because my brother and I never had a single ear infection growing up:c00lbert:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Trash Truck is loving bizarre as hell lol, my oldest loves it but everything about it just feels slightly off. Almost like some of the voiceovers used were the scratch tracks and they didn't have time to get other actors in to record, because the characters just sound weird in a way I can quite put my finger on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

At the in-laws for some Easter related stuff and god it's nice having support with bed time for the 3yo, she is having such a hard time staying in her room and we need a break here and there, even if only for a night

We had to take away her kitchen set because she insisted on trying to turn it into a massive drum set and throwing tantrums, but guiding her to some "green choices" and seeing her be super patient with her sister--sharing toys and snacks, hugs, playing gently, even grabbing things for us to change diapers and such--all on her own instincts ended up getting it back for her. It's going to be insane when they are both running around