Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

Does anyone have any links to some scientific sources saying that I don't need to ignore my baby to keep him from being spoiled?

Babies needs human contact. Harry Harlow found out that in one of the most disturbing experiments ever conducted on cute little monkeys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Harlow#Monkey_studies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Does anyone have any resources they like for helping preschoolers learn to read? My daughter is very eager to read and spell--she knows all the letters and most of the sounds they make (oh god gently caress English orthography)--and I love working on it with her. But we both get frustrated sometimes running up against some mental connection she doesn't quite have down, and I wish I knew more about how little kids learn written language so I can help better.
There's a method where you and your kid create a text together (a story, poem etc.). This allows the kids to play with letters and words and also gives them a sense of joy when it comes to reading.
As to how kids learn to read they first look at words like pictures. They recognize the "picture" and know what it means even if they can't read it yet. So a good way to stimulate reading could be to make little cards for various types of activities, then you put them in a box and when you want to do a certain activity with your kid you could help it to find the right card. You should make sure that the cards look similar so that the kid have to recognize the letters to identify the cards.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Acrolos posted:

Do I just bring her into a large public restroom with me?

Yeah, do this. I work in a kindergarten and have to do this all the time, so far no one has said anything.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Other people go with a different method, sitting them on the toilet every 15 minutes and giving them a reward (like chocolate mmm) when they pee.

Personally I would not recommend rewards. If nothing else for the fact that when you stop with rewards (and realistically at one point you have to stop) it could feel like punishment for the kid.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Rewarding kids can be tricky, even if it's just verbal encouragement. First of it's meaningless to just praise the kid, you have to be specific (instead saying that the kid as good say that it was good because it went to the potty). There's also the risk that kid experience that the only time it gets praise is when it does something. Giving it rewards have the risk that the kid are doing it purely for the sake of getting rewards instead of learning that going to the potty is good in itself. This is of course spoken as someone who hasn't potty trained kids as a parent, only as a someone who works in a kindergarten. But what I've done is to make the kid used to the idea. Each I've changed the diaper I've put the kid on the potty, I've put the kids on the potty, let's say, every hour but I haven't given rewards because the point isn't that the kid have to pee or whatever but to make them used to the idea. Finally having a "potty buddy" (real or stuffed) is also something that could work. Sometimes the kid just up and decide for themselves that it doesn't want to use diapers anymore but use the potty instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Sally Slug posted:

Training kids in a classroom environment is vastly different than training them as a parent at home.
Of course. Which is why I qualified my statement.

quote:

Of course it is impractical to give every kid in the class a small treat, but that isn't the case in a home environment.
It's not really about impracticality but what I believe to be the best pedagogy. Here's an article about rewards: http://translate.google.com/transla...e%2F18037049%2F
It's google tranlate, but hopefully understandable.

Fionnoula posted:

Alhazred, I couldn't disagree with you more about the use of reinforcers (not rewards) and praise. You seem to be under the impression that if they are used poorly they can be negative and therefore we shouldn't use them at all.

I didn't say don't praise the kid, I said be specific in what you praise them for.

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 26, 2013