Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

LuckyDaemon posted:

I have a thermostat in the room and I'm getting kind of nutso checking it all evening. Do you think babies would sleep better if they are slightly too warm or slightly too cold?

I'm not sure how old he is, but the rule for younger babies is that it's better for them to be too cold. Being too warm is a SIDS risk. Also, is he actually cold? The nurse that leads my mom group said they are only cold if their core is cold. Their limbs may feel like ice cubes and they're still just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Awesome Kristin posted:

Edit: Well now today he has been super fussy after two naps. I've had to trick him into eating by stopping his crying with a pacifier and then replacing it with boob really fast. What could be causing this sudden change in behavior?!

How much weight has he gained since you started the reflux meds? He might need his dose increased. Our pediatrician said there's a lot of room in the recommended dosage range too, so his dose might be able to be increased even without weight gain. That sounds like reflux symptoms.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Has anyone dealt with chronic ear infections? If so, did you opt for ear tubes? My almost one year old is on his sixth ear infection since Thanksgiving and we're exploring our options.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Thanks, everyone. The worst part is that five of them have been since Christmas. His surgery is on Wednesday.

For people with kids with tubes, how do you handle bath and pool time? My kid loves water.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

bamzilla posted:

It's the main reason I would not let the ENT put my son under for a tongue snip at 6 weeks old and went to another that would do it in office. However, it's your choice as a parent and if you feel the benefits outweigh the risks (and your pediatrician does) then go for it. You might see how he feels about it, though. I know my pediatrician showed some concern in the study and was relieved we opted out of putting Ben under. I also realize a simple tongue snip is much easier than tubes and it's not necessary at all to put a child under for it.

Thanks for the article. He's already been put under general anesthesia once for an MRI. :( I might not have done that if I had known about that research, but, given that his father has hearing loss from chronic ear infections, I think the benefit outweighs the risk here.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Ben Davis posted:

edit to say that I didn't do loads of tummy time on the floor, but did a LOT of laying on mama time and ergo time, and it worked just fine.

We did a lot of laying on mama and dada time too because he just wouldn't tolerate it any other way. When he could hold his head up (which he did on schedule without much "real" tummy time), he enjoyed it a lot more.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

sullat posted:

So, ear tubes. What's the deal with those? What age are they recommended at? Our kid has had a whole bunch of ear infections this winter, and we're thinking it might be time for the tubes.

I just posted asking about them at the end of last month if you want to go back and read people's responses. We ended up doing them for my 12 month old and we haven't had an ear infection for three weeks now (previously, the longest we had gone since Thanksgiving was about three days). We've also seen huge leaps in his balance and his language development.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

I fed her her nighttime bottle with oatmeal in it about an hour before I rocked her to sleep and she only woke up crying once, and then woke up to eat about a half hour later. I'm thinking I may see if she wants some more baby food before the night time bottle to see if she's just not getting quite enough to make it through the night.

It's a myth that solids help a baby sleep through the night. I'd recommend trying to up formula/breast milk consumption during the day, which should still be the primary source of her calories. Also, baby cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard and should be avoided.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

No Butt Stuff posted:

Oh man, I thought those tri-cut nipples were specifically for making the cereal bottles. Maybe I should just make her some oatmeal, then feed her a larger bottle then?

How is it a choking hazard if it's mixed in? Genuine question, I want to learn.

Our former pediatrician suggested increasing all bottles during the day by 1 oz. and decreasing ones at night by the same to slowly encourage more consumption of breast milk/formula during the day instead of night.

I believe the reason it's a choking hazard is because sucking thick liquid doesn't allow for the proper movement of it from the front of the mouth to the back to swallow. Either way, the AAP recommends against it: http://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/feeding-nutrition/Pages/Switching-To-Solid-Foods.aspx

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

My one-year-old threw up once on Friday morning, once on Friday late night (all over me), and once on Saturday night. He had diarrhea once yesterday, once today. Other than those symptoms he's perfectly normal - he had regular poops, he's acting happy, no fever, he's eating (BRAT diet obvi), talking etc. Anyway my wife thinks it's a brain tumor, how can I convince her it's nothing?

That seems like a huge logical leap. In my area (NorCal), there have been a whole round of nasty stomach viruses. We've had two in the last month.

That said, we went through the whole neurological work-up for unexplained vomiting that occurred for six weeks and our pediatrician said that diarrhea being present basically guarantees that it's a virus of some kind.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Our pediatrician suggested decreasing each night bottle by 1 oz. and increasing each day bottle by the same. She said to do that every week or so and then, once we were down to 1 oz. per bottle in the middle of the night, to switch to water instead in case he was thirsty. We didn't end up trying it but it seems like a reasonable plan.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

rangergirl posted:

He takes after me in that he is one shade darker than "albino". I have been taking him out all winter to walk the dogs and what not but now that spring is almost here I'm not sure what to do about sunblock. We live in New England so the sun isn't particularly strong. Do I need to start using sunblock to go out for 5-10 minutes while I let the dogs pee and run around? Am I worrying to much about my son combusting in direct sunlight?

My other question is about introducing proteins. I'm vegetarian so I would rather not handle a ton of meat, and I make my own baby food (I will do what is best for my son but if I don't need to handle meat I would rather not). I've read that at 7 months you can start introducing yogurt, cottage cheese and egg yolks for protein. It seems young for any kind of dairy to me though, when did you all introduce things like yogurt and cottage cheese?

My son is even paler (and blonder) than yours and we walk a couple of miles every morning. I don't use sunscreen or sunblock on him and he hates hats, so I keep him out of direct sunlight via his stroller canopy. Five or ten minutes without sunblock in indirect sunlight each day is actually a good thing for Vitamin D purposes.

Regarding dairy and eggs, earlier this week, the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology revised their guidelines to say that it's actually fine to introduce potentially allergenic foods as soon as the infant is consuming "first" foods just fine. They recommend introducing them one at a time, though, with a few days in between so you know what food is the problem. So, for protein, dairy and complete eggs (not just egg yolks) are fine. The only thing that you should avoid is allowing your son to drink cow's milk since that could replace formula or breast milk, which you want to avoid until after a year. At that age, my son also loved mashed up beans.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
With regard to showering, I found that setting our video baby monitor up so that I could see him made me feel a lot more at ease. :)

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

I shouldn't really worry for a few more months, right?

Your son's signs count as words at this point, even if they're not spoken. Research has shown that babies taught sign language tend to speak later (most likely since they already have a way to communicate) but that they are much more advanced with their speech when they do start talking.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Solids are really just for "fun" (and oral motor development) before around age one. It took months before my son started stepping up on solids enough to actually decrease his breast milk consumption. It's very very rare for an infant to self-wean before a year, even with the introduction of solids.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

It's super normal for toddlers to graze all day. I would get some snacks you don't care about him eating all day like carrots cut into small sticks, apple slices, etc, and put those in a place he can get them in between meals and other snack times. Some people use a muffin tin and fill it with snacks and put it on a table the kids can reach and that's their snack tray for the day.

I agree here. I have a 14 month old and we were told that he needs a minimum of three meals and two snacks per day and to expect him to want something to eat every other hour or so.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Acrolos posted:

I understand that, and that's what all of the experts say. My issue is that she refuses anything BUT being held. 24 hours a day, she demands it, and if she isn't being held, she's crying, whining, and fussy. As much as I'd like to hold my baby for 24 straight hours, it's just not feasible. ,y wife and I are at a loss and operating on about three full days of no sleep as a result of it.

This is pretty normal and it's called the fourth trimester. Invest in a good baby carrier (not a Bjorn) and look up safe co-sleeping to get you through it (if you absolutely don't want to co-sleep, you can take shifts sleeping and holding instead).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
At first glance, his nap seems pretty early to me. Most toddlers who are on one nap are napping in the afternoon (noon or 1 pm). Maybe he's getting too overtired?

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
The American Dental Association and the AAP both say a first visit at roughly one year old.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
He seems like he's getting way too little sleep. Seven month olds generally nap for at least an hour three times per day and go to bed a lot earlier than 10 pm. While it definitely sounds like developmental milestones and teething are messing up the works, it might be worth doing whatever it takes to get him some good sleep, whether it be a walk or a car ride or wearing him. Sleep does beget sleep.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken McNobody posted:

What works for your little ones?

Our pediatrician said that the best we can really do is give Advil/Tylenol for fever and any aches. The reason all cold medications aren't approved for under age two anymore is because the FDA found them to be completely ineffective in that age group. We have had a luck with a hot steam vaporizer out of his reach with the baby Vicks pads (not the adult ones, which are contraindicated for babies/toddlers).

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken McNobody posted:

I may just quit using the humidifier altogether...it's soaking my floor anyway. If the warm ones are any better I may switch.

I definitely didn't want antibiotics for a probably viral infection. Mainly I just wish the docs and nurses at that clinic would at least pretend to care that the kids feel bad, and offer suggestions to ease the symptoms, instead of just "Call us if he runs a high fever, bye." I guess seeing so many sick kids every day would desensitize them though, and they are busy. My mom's a nurse and always feels bad for the kids she has to see so I might be biased.

We will definitely try the honey-based remedies. We have good local honey that should help with any allergies as well. Maybe warm, weak tea with honey and lemon, as long as I'm careful about what type of tea it is?

You can also close the bathroom door and run the shower as hot as possible while you play/read books inside.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Lactation professionals have a diagnosis of a baby that's "happy to starve." Do you have a lactation consultant that you can speak with? I'd keep a breastfeeding log until you can do so.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Alterian posted:

While we're talking about feeding, is there an amount that's too much formula for a baby?

Are you using the slowest nipple you can find on the bottle? Are you holding it parallel to the ground instead of letting gravity help? Are you trying other methods of consoling him before feeding him again if he has recently eaten? That does seem like a lot of formula for that young of a baby, but then, my son ate 36 oz. of breast milk a day for the first ten months of his life.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

SmokeyXIII posted:

quick! how do i make this 4.5 month old stop crying. I don't have boobs and mom isnt here!

Also, how do we train him to sooth on things that are non boobs because he is inconsolable without a boob.

Don't hold him in anything that resembles a breastfeeding position and either turn some water on or go outside.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Schweig und tanze posted:

Also, you can always have your husband give pumped milk in a bottle for one or two night feedings in order to let you sleep a bit.

As a head's up, you will still need to pump within several hours of that feeding or else your body will stop making milk at that time and your overall supply could drop.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
You really want to keep the child rear facing until he outgrows the limits on the seat. It's so much safer.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Hopefully since you're posting this, you know the idea that he would outgrow your milk is utter bs. We have a Chicco seat but I have several friends with the Ikea high chair that adore it.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

shadysight posted:

Speaking of food, my wife and I have decided that we're probably giving the kid (16mo) too much store bought stuff, and we'd like to cook more things for him. Any suggestions or websites I should check out? I'd like to be able to make a batch of a few different things and then parcel it out over a few days because of the way our schedules are working. We'd feed him more of what we're eating, but all too often that's just a hotdog or a black bean burger without a bun or anything since we haven't made time to cook anything more than that for ourselves either. :sweatdrop:

Weelicious.com has tasty recipes for kids.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
My 17 month old's dentist wanted him off bottles ASAP because they're not particularly good for teeth, jaw development, and oral motor skills. Straw cups were recommended.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Mnemosyne posted:

Anyone have any suggestions to keep a 1-year-old from moving all over the damned bed while bed sharing? He's very restless and wakes me up constantly. I'm not bed sharing on purpose, it's just the only way we've managed to get any sleep at all.

If you have a crib, we had good luck with taking the side off and shoving it against the bed as a mock co-sleeper. We used foam to keep the crib mattress flush against our mattress.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Sleeping through the night early on can actually be problematic for milk supplies. The hormones that help govern supply are the most active between 2 am and 5 am, so feeding during that time does the most to maintain and boost supply. If a young baby (less than six months) is sleeping through the night, it's generally a good idea for mom to pump sometime in that time frame.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Research has found that diet doesn't have as much as an effect on supply as people like to blame it for (the key evidence is that women in developing countries with much much less to eat still have prosperous milk supplies). I agree that you need to be offering much more frequently and ideally in a quiet, boring place so that he can have a good feed. How often do you change his diaper? If you're using disposables, you're probably getting more wet diapers than you think, but it still doesn't sound like enough.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
We stopped changing my son on the changing table when he started fighting like crazy around nine months. We just keep a portable changing pad and diaper caddy both upstairs and downstairs and change him on the floor or on the side of the couch. Both places allow me much better leverage to keep him under control and don't carry the danger of a tumble off them.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Setting a feeding schedule that early absolutely can and will tank your wife's supply and have been tied to poor weight gain in infants. The first 12 weeks of breastfeeding is all about setting up the prolactin receptors for breastfeeding later on. Also, that doesn't look like nearly enough daytime sleep for a nine week old. Babies at that age typically nap throughout the day still with short periods of wakefulness, eventually becoming three naps.

And no, that doesn't sound like the No Cry Sleep Solution at all.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Andrias Scheuchzeri posted:

Oh, thank you! That's a great link. I hope not to have to deal with pumping. We'll try changing up positions a bit and being nice to my nipples, and hope things heal up a bit soon. Man, his sister didn't have this problem. She bit a few times when she was teething but really quickly worked out a comfortable latch again.

For the healing portion, moist wound healing is currently considered superior to any other kind for sore/hurt nipples. Freshly expressed breast milk on your nipples is generally the best treatment, although you can also use hydrogel pads too. I personally loved the Soothies ones stuck in the fridge. They're expensive but you can wear a set for quite a while before needing to replace them.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Rythe posted:

Anybody have any suggestions on foods to feed a child transitioning from baby food to 100% solid food? We are trying to find good lunch and dinner ideas for my daughter, so far I have made tons of little pancakes and froze those for fast breakfast along with stove top oatmeal and fruits.

We have done PB&j, cheese quesodillas, sliced fruit, animal crackers, chicken nuggets, cheese sticks and for dinner we just kind of give her what ever we are eating. I am curious on what you all did for veggies, I am going to mix parsnips with potatoes for a meal, we have tried roasted veggies with some success, maybe try steamed instead.

My son loves anything shaped like a French fry, especially with something to dip it in. Sweet potatoes are probably his absolute favorite.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Thomase posted:

My son (23 mos)... well he's a biter. Not just a biter, but an angry potentially sociopathic biter. His natural reaction to pain, anger or frustration is to lash out with either his mini talons or his teeth.

For example, my wife is pregnant again, we went out to the maternity store to buy her some new duds and he was getting restless inside so I took him out for a walk. We were walking and he fell, scraped his face a little and when I went to comfort him not only did he give my lip a nice gash with his nails but also bit into my shoulder.

It didn't break the skin this time but it has previously. We've tried voicing our pain, we've tried "crying" but generally this just results in laughter.

What can we do? Because there's nothing scarier than a child with a full set of teeth and no empathy.

Can you substitute in something that's okay to bite? Does he have his molars in yet? We have these toothbrushes that ZoLi makes that we offer if my 18 mo old is feeling bite-y and tell him that it's not okay to bite people, but it is okay to bite the toothbrushes or a wash cloth or a teething toy. I've been told before that a need for that kind of oral stimulation is pretty normal in a toddler and it's just about redirecting the need for the sensation.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011

Chicken McNobody posted:

My boy is 19 months old now, and still nursing, which is beautiful and fine and all that, but I'm not sure why. Apart from the comfort aspect, which I definitely don't discount because he is mighty attached to Mama, there is no milk coming out of there, and really hasn't been for a while now. I do work full time, but he nurses a few times in the evenings, pretty much all night long, and on the weekends, if I'm sitting down, he's tugging at my shirt. So basically if I am stationary and he can reach boobs, he's trying to get boobs, and he's so happy when he gets one out, and so sad if I refuse him.

What I'm wondering is, how long is he going to keep this up if there's no milk happening? I have been very dedicated to letting him gradually let go at his own pace rather than cutting him off, but nursing is becoming very uncomfortable and even painful as it's pretty much just dry sucking. He won't take a pacifier. Am I supposed to wean him now? Kellymom is my usual go-to but I'm not finding anything about this particular problem, apart from this: http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/toddlernursing/ which still maybe seems to assume that milk is being produced...

Are you sure you're dry? With continual demand, it's pretty rare to just dry up unless you're pregnant. If you're getting uncomfortable with all of the nursing, perhaps it's time to work on nursing manners and/or nightweaning? I really like Dr. Jay Gordon's nightweaning method: http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
I'm not sure if it would work on a baby that young, but we break out the treats for particularly nasty antibiotics. A teensy piece of chocolate does well for both cleansing the palate and bribery.