Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

There's also more than one reflux medication available. We started with Zantac, and it helped but not for long enough-- it would wear off and we'd be hours and hours away from the next dose. Prevacid, though, is working absolute wonders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

My kids always seemed to do better with going by hours awake rather than set nap times. At that age, mine were taking 3 naps, and generally stayed awake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours before sleeping. I would start the nap routine at about 2 hours after waking up from the last nap.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Maybe try starting it just a little earlier, like before he starts getting too grumpy. Sometimes there's a tiny little window of optimal sleep and anything more means overtired. And that window totally changes depending on age, milestones, teeth, etc.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I agree, that's a long stretch to be awake with no break. I would try starting the bedtime routine earlier.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Hdip posted:

So my dog stole the awesome nasal aspirator (snot sucker) that the hospital gave us. It has a couple bite holes in it now and doesn't work as good as it used to. Can anyone point me to another one that works as well? The two I've bought to replace it are kind of useless so I'm still using the one my dog got.

What about those long tubes where you suck the snot out of babies nose? https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ed=0CIQBEPMCMAI

We use this one. It works pretty well, even if the babies hate it.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Some people get an upset stomach if they swallow too much saliva, so she could be vomiting from that. I would also talk to her pediatrician, though.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

If they're really good, I could see the grocery list and doctor's visit parts being used for a long time, even if the diaper and feeding parts aren't being used. And even better if you can customize the interface to hide the ones you don't use.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

DwemerCog posted:

I figured out the reason my 1-month old won't sleep in the day is because she is not swaddled in the day. How do I deal with this? I don't want to swaddle her 24-7, but she seems to get cranky from overtiredness at the end of the day.

Swaddle her for sleep, unswaddle her when she's awake. Don't worry, she won't be swaddled forever.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

tse1618 posted:

My 5 month old will be growing out of her infant car seat soon. A month ago she was 27" and her car seat is only for babies up to 29". I'm not really sure what to do. I drive a Beetle and my husband has a convertible car seat for his car that can she can use until she's a toddler, but it's way too big to fit rear facing in my car. My backseat is so small the infant car seat barely fits in it. I'd really like to just get a 4 door instead, but if I could afford that I would have done it already because it's a pain in the rear end to crawl back there every time I get her and out. Do I have any options besides never using my car again when I have her with me?

Car-seat.org is pretty awesome for questions like this. This thread might help you, or you can search for others.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Professor Bananas posted:

I really thought he was weaning himself off of feeding to sleep - he started rolling over to get comfy when he was done eating. But this week he's back to wanting to feed all night. I've honestly never minded it so I've been reluctant to change, but I am worried about his safety in the bed now he's more mobile, so I think it might be time to be consistent with the cot. I'm a bit worried he'll miss out on all the snuggles and milk he could be getting when he's been away from me all day though so it's hard to toughen up and do it :sigh:.

I know of a decent number of babies in daycare who reverse cycle-- that is, nurse basically all night long instead of all day long. It's pretty common, at least among my mom circle!

As for straw cups, we use the Playtex ones, and they're both easy to clean and easy to get back into the lid.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Yeah, I have to change my one year old on the floor now, too. I guess it's the age! I have a narrow basket that I keep wipes, a couple of diapers, some diaper cream and a foldable changing pad in, and I just use that in the living room.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Rather than getting a diaper bag, I got a purse from Bayan Hippo on Etsy. I love it so much, and one of the coolest parts is that she custom makes each one, so you can mix and match as you please. I bought the Beauty Tote Bag but with the interior pockets of the Practical Nagy bag. Mine is grey with purple inside.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Grammar Fascist posted:

Our pediatrician warned us at my son's 12-month appointment that this exact thing would happen. He said the most important thing is not to make a big deal about it, and that when he gets hungry, he'll eat. The pediatrician also said it's because his growth is slowing down: in the first year, babies triple in weight, but (thankfully) that doesn't continue at quite the same pace during year two.

To add to this, my pediatrician told me that, once the kid is a toddler, you should start looking at their food intake over the span of a week, not every meal or even every day. There will be days when my toddler will hardly eat anything, and days when he outeats his 6'1" father. But, generally speaking, by the end of the week, it averages into a normal amount of food.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Cross-posting this: Some Halo Sleep Sacks sold at Babies R Us are being voluntarily recalled.

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2013/HALO-SleepSacks-Wearable-Blankets-Recalled/

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

As far as buckle carriers go, the Ergo is a great one, but just not perfect for all body types or all baby shapes. It's the one people know about the most, but not the only one or the best one for everyone by any means. I found it incredibly uncomfortable, but my husband loves it. I find the Beco Gemini very comfortable, and my husband does, too.

In the babywearing group I'm in, the Tula is like the holy grail of all buckle carriers, so if you can get your hands on one of those to try out, you might find that it's a great fit for you, too.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

We had a party, but it was basically a park playdate with cake. Actually, that's what we've done for all birthdays so far-- outdoor play with cake.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

You can buy a jar of vegan mayonnaise, too, so you can have your mayo without having egg.

I can't remember, did you say you have no oven/toaster oven access? I find roasted vegetables to be the tastiest, and I can eat a huge amount of roasted broccoli/cauliflower with olive oil and lemon juice.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I can see that you're in a pretty difficult, albeit short term, place. So, since it is short term, maybe consider doing hypoallergenic formula while pumping to maintain supply for the next couple of weeks? That way you wouldn't have to worry as hard about food, and when you're settled into your new place, you can work on an elimination diet to go back to breastfeeding.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

I think a lot of times it really just depends on the kid. My first always ate very small amounts, and is still that way as a preschooler. She is very selective in what she eats. She didn't start eating enough food to make a difference in her diapers until over a year old. My second has been wolfing down everything he can get his hands on since I first gave him solids. He is two years younger and consistently out-eats his sister, and often finishes her plate of food at meals. And yet, they're almost completely comparable in size for age-- I look back at my daughter's stats to compare to my son's at each of his well baby visits.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

Yeah, seconding renting a Symphony. From the hospital near me, it was $30 a month and everyone who I know who used it said it was worth every single penny.

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

H&M's boy cut are pretty cute, and if you go into the underwear aisle at Target or Wal-Mart or whatever, you can find Hanes and other brands with no commercial characters on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amelia Song
Jan 28, 2012

It's been my experience that the boy's briefs also hold up better in the wash, and the wider band at the waist makes for a better fit. My daughter has some Sesame Street boy ones that she always wants to wear.