Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

Chicken McNobody posted:

He has rejected all efforts to get him to bond with any comfort object or teether...he requires almost constant human companionship. (In a pinch, a small dog will do.) I love that he needs Mommy so much, but it does wear on you after a while and I'm starting to get worried about his mental state. (Not that a 9-month-old has much of a mental state, but you know mom-guilt.)

One thing he does seem to love is a used dryer sheet, but I'm not comfortable letting him chew on that and it doesn't lull him to sleep anyway, he just wants to run it through his hands. Kids are weird.

This need for constant human companionship was my daughter at this age. Exactly this. Because my sleep is more important than where she sleeps, (SERIOUSLY momma needs her sleep) we co-slept once she outgrew the swaddle stage. She eventually happily transitioned into the floor in our room, and from there worked into her own bed.

And was sleeping in her own bed, happily, until Life happened last month and she started to have to go to day care. Changing a small child's routine =\

(as of this week, she says she wants to sleep in our bed, and if we say okay and put her in bed there, she'll sneak out and onto the floor.. Slowly moving herself back into her room. Last night it was the floor in her room, close to the door. Crazy child.)

Dr. Sears calls them "high-needs babies".

Tl;dr version: This is just a small child thing, he just loves mommy more than he loves his toys. It's hard, it won't be forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU