Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Never run from anything immortal. It attracts their attention.

Awesome Kristin posted:

I'll bring it up to the pediatrician next week if it continues. Tonight was a lot better. I didn't have to fight to feed him but he's still fussing more than normal, so we'll see what happens in the coming days.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Weird question: What is your baby's poop like, and do you exclusively breastfeed?

At the same age as your baby, my son was diagnosed with reflux and prescribed Zantac. The ped who saw him wasn't his usual ped (who breastfed her own children and knew everything).

The Zantac just didn't seem to do anything. Some days, we thought maybe he was improving, but nothing consistent. Then we noticed his poop was greenish and sort of foamy. Sometimes he would act really fussy about feeding in general.

It turned out that he didn't have reflux. It was a foremilk-hindmilk imbalance. Most peds don't receive enough training about breastfeeding to even know this exists. Basically, the milk that comes first from the breast is more watery (to quench thirst) and full of lactose. The milk that comes more towards the end of a feeding is low in lactose, but super rich in fats and proteins, and that's what sates hunger. If a baby gets too much foremilk, it gives major stomach upset and causes symptoms that look a lot like reflux.

I started block nursing. I only nursed on one breast each feeding. Some women have to do it for two feedings, and pump a little from the un-used breast at the time to avoid being engorged. Two days of block feeding, and the problem was solved. If I got lazy about it, the poop turned green and he screamed. Every time.

The mysteries of breastfeeding, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

Slip Slap posted:

This couldn't be more true. My boy was 3 months old when Sandyhook happened and I sobbed the entire day. I've never been happy to hear about school shootings but goddamn is it different when you've had a child. All those "prayers for Caleb, he has leukemia" type posts on facebook, forget about it. I have to block those immediately. Goes right through my heart.

I used to be a lot more mocking and sarcastic pre-baby but now every person I come into contact with, all I can think is this person is someone's child, and those parents spent countless nights hoping life would be kind to him.

Oh, hell yes. Same here. Locally, we had a daycare fire tragedy that resulted in several deaths (caretaker decided to take a trip to Target and left stove on and a bunch of toddlers and babies confined to cribs). When the story broke, I couldn't stop crying. It was so hard to take my child to daycare that week.

Unrelated: My child is going to have to go to college in state, because, clearly, he is never going to be for real potty-trained. He turns four in May. WHAT THE WHAT, YO.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

fork bomb posted:

There was only one adult and they left a bunch of babies alone??? How loving tragically avoidable. :(

Yeah. If you're curious, google "Jessica Tata." She fled the country to avoid arrest. I know there are good in-home daycare providers, but I am a lot more comfortable with my son at a facility with more oversight.

Re: potty training--

What's really bugging me about my kiddo is that he is 90% potty-trained at daycare. At home, he refuses to even try. One day, I had him go mostly bare-assed in the house so I could keep an eye on him. I went to get a glass of water, and came back to him having SHAT ON THE FLOOR.

One day I had what I now refer to as the "Triple Baptism Event." He peed himself and the dining room chair. It went everywhere and he ran away from me with pee-soaked socks leaving a pee-pee trail of footprints. I finally stripped him down and got him into half his pajamas when I dropped the bottoms into the pee puddle and had to retrieve new ones from upstairs. Then he shat himself. As I was trying to clean that up and get the pee trail handled, he ate a banana. Only, he gagged on one of the banana strings from the peel and then vomited in the corner.

That was quite a night.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

tse1618 posted:

I covered the windows in bubble wrap and I can't see out very well but he can still tell there's a cat out there. We tried covering the windows with blankets in the past but he just tore at them until they came down. I can't do anything very permanent or use nails because I'm renting. If there are other things I could try I'd appreciate the suggestions.

After multiple attacks, especially considering the severity of your husband's injury, I think it's time to get that cat out of your house. I'm sorry. The amount of vigilance you'd have to maintain just isn't reasonable, and it seems that even with vigilance your cat could seriously injure your child.

bitter almond
Jul 29, 2012

tse1618 posted:

I'll check out the window film and see if I think it'll work, thanks.

When I posted about this before on a more pet oriented forum I was told I'm a terrible pet owner and I should never own another animal again because when you adopt a pet its for life, not until its a "nuisance". So I feel like a bad cat owner because I like I said I can't find a rescue or anyone to take him. But keeping him in the house still I feel like a bad mother.

People like that are contributing to a lovely culture where people solve their unwanted animal issues by ditching cats and dogs on highways. I had to surrender a Bengal cat because of issues with my son. The cat wasn't aggressive, but my son made her anxious and obsessive, and I tried to work with that animal to resolve it for three years. Even with that, the people at the rescue treated me like human garbage.

Drop the guilt. You're trying to resolve this in an appropriate manner.