Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
I say this as only a recent foster parent to a teenager, and someone who has worked as a respite worker for children with autism (in other words feel free to ignore).

When making this decision, consider the possibility of #2 having similar development needs. Would that be a struggle? Would that be fine?

One case I saw more than once was a family that had their oldest with special needs, and went for #2 only to be wholly unprepared for a second special needs kiddo. I know your kiddo isn't on the autism spectrum, and apologize if this seems really insulting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's a bit stale, but you could also ask in the fostering thread:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3785900&pagenumber=3&perpage=40

Maybe see if Mocking Bird is still active on the forums. IIRC she's a social worker and has fostered teens before, so might be a good source of advice.

If she misses posts in that thread I'll ping her to come take a look. I can confirm she is a magical teen whisperer.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
That is potentially caused by using too much detergent alongside a lovely dishwasher, worse if combod with very hard or soft water. Pods are too much detergent. If you have powder or gel, try reducing the amount (a quarter sized dollop if you're us based is a good starting point).

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
What do you think would make a bigger difference, using the money moving, the time spent dropping off at this further away school, or putting the extra money and or time directly into other options like tutoring / extra curriculars / camps / more quality time spent with kiddo?

Basically, consider the opportunity cost to chasing 'the best' school when you're already in a good one and look at other ways to spend that time or money that could have comparable effects.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Fuuuck. Only thing I can think of is letters to them about your day (slice of life) and letters on big days when you tell them about your big days / memories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
Don't make a lifetime decision that will substantially affect your current kids for something you feel you missed out on. That only lasts for one to two years and prioritizes your what if rather than your and yours kids now. Focus yourself on the joys your kids experience currently rather than thinking back to what ifs from when they were one to two.