Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Toadpuppy posted:

That's awful - they managed to combine the crazy idea that babies can be spoiled with the crazy idea that being nice to your baby turns him gay. It's terrible that they made you feel bad for acting on your perfectly normal maternal instincts.

AND implied that being gay is something that a person should be ashamed about. Nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If you have a kid that likes swaddling or needs it to sleep but keeps wriggling out, I highly recommend the miracle blanket. It's the only swaddle sack/blanket/etc that our little Houdini can't get out of.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

DwemerCog posted:

I have two of these, never used, because she can get out of them so easily. Ones with velcro or poppers are your friend. I like the Aden & Anais ones that fasten with poppers right now, as it is so easy to reswaddle in the dark and they don't velcro themselves to the rest of the laundry!

I can't manage swaddling with blankets alone, she breaks out instantly, so my baby will have to give up swaddling when she no longer fits the commercial swaddlers, which will be about 4-6 months.

That's funny-- that's the only one he can't get out of. I too have a swaddle reject graveyard. Halo, Summer Infant, something that uses snaps, etc. swaddling with regular blankets is the worst though.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I use cloth... The only difference really is I do an extra load of laundry every other day. I use best bottoms brand which has liners that snap into waterproof shells. For diaper changes, remove wet liner, snap in new liner, put diaper back on, resume day. As long as the shell doesn't get soiled, you can reuse it several times.

There's lots of types of cloth diapers-- all in ones, pocket, fitted, etc. Each have their own pros and con's.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

skeetied posted:

Setting a feeding schedule that early absolutely can and will tank your wife's supply and have been tied to poor weight gain in infants. The first 12 weeks of breastfeeding is all about setting up the prolactin receptors for breastfeeding later on. Also, that doesn't look like nearly enough daytime sleep for a nine week old. Babies at that age typically nap throughout the day still with short periods of wakefulness, eventually becoming three naps.

And no, that doesn't sound like the No Cry Sleep Solution at all.

I agree that feeding on a schedule is bad, but he might be sleeping enough. My little guy is 8 weeks old and easily gives us two happy and alert hours between naps before we start our swaddle and rock to sleep routine. If we try before a couple hours he will just stay awake on our shoulder while we are rocking him until it hits about the two hour awake time anyway.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The LC at the clinic here says if they bite to pull their head in toward your body for a few seconds instead of pulling away.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Dandy Shrew posted:

How do you guys deal with family members who don't vaccinate/don't BELIEVE in vaccination, and their desire for interacting with your kid(s)? My husbands family are all a bunch of anti-vaxxer homeopaths, and there's some sort of party/reunion we're being pressured into going to because only my husbands father and sister have met the baby. I'm kinda skeeved out by it because in every persons home I visited before having the baby, not one of these mother fuckers even had handsoap in their bathrooms. Is there a tactful way to be like "nah, y'all are gross", or do I just turn off my phone and feign ignorance?

We asked all of our family members to get the pertussis vaccination since we've had an outbreak here and it is dangerous for infants (as in 1 in 2 babies that get it end up in the hospital). Everyone complied except for my husband's dad and step mom. We made very clear that this was very important to us, given the stats and reasons why, and since they have refused to get the vaccine, they don't get to see him until he's fully protected via his vaccines. We made this clear to everyone when I was about 36 weeks pregnant.

His dad now says that they "don't believe in vaccines" but it is totally his wife since he has gotten vaccines in the past and its only the wife pressuring him against them. But, we're holding everyone to the same standard, and it is our son, so our rules. They keep trying to blame us but my husband has been very good about indicating to them every time they ask to come over that we'd love to see them and introduce them to Ben provided they've gotten the pertussis vaccine. The last time they asked my husband said "oh you want to stop by? Have you guys gotten the vaccine yet? No? Well, my answer hasn't changed then." Since it is my husband's family we've had him do all the talking/explaining; if it was my family it would be me.

So, you don't really owe anyone an explanation beyond "since diseases that can be vaccinated against are so dangerous for babies if they get them, we are not going to bring him around people who aren't fully vaccinated against them until he is.". That's it. You don't need any other explanation and honestly if you try to justify anymore it will likely end in a pissing match anyway. Just say that asnd make it clear that the choice you and your husband made is not up for discussion or debate and if they'd like to see him earlier than he being fully vaccinated they can choose to get themselves up to date on their shots.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

sullat posted:

When do babies get their TDAP again? I had to get it redone when my 1st kid was born, but I don't remember when he got his, or when number two gets his.

2, 4, and 6 months.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Glad I could help. :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Jastiger posted:

We'll try the breast milk method for sure. I guess we just hold her under the boob and express it into her eye? Awkward! But hopefully effective.

I just express some onto my finger and rub it on the eye.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The lactation consultant at my hospital recommends pulling the baby in toward you if they bite while nursing. That will get them to stop biting since they'll need to remove themselves to get a breath.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

Anyone have any experience with lactation inducing drugs like Domperidone (Motilium, Motilidone)? My wife is not producing enough milk for our newborn and since she's so tiny (5lbs 11oz at birth) the nurses are now supplementing her with 1 oz of formula after each nursing. The docs are hoping the Motilium will kickstart the milk production and make the supplementing unnecessary.

How do they know she isn't producing enough? I'm not trying to be snarky, but the first several weeks it is so important to have baby on the breast a lot to stimulate supply and adding formula supplementation is taking away time from the breast for the baby. Is she pumping while the baby eats that extra ounce? Newborn babies tummies are so small she doesn't take a lot in at one feeding.

Edit: are you still in the hospital as in a brand brand new baby. My milk didn't come in until three days after the baby was born so had I not been knowledgable about how much a brand new baby eats at a time ( a couple of teaspoons in the first week) I would have been freaking out too. Does your hospital have a certified lactation consultant she can talk to?

sheri fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 22, 2013

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And keep in mind a lot of doctors and nurses have no clue about breastfeeding unfortunately. Try to get help from a lactation consultant or LLL member. My baby lost 11 oz (he was big so this was not 10% of body weight) and after a few days of losing he started packing on the pounds. Losing weight is normal, especially for breastfeed babies and if your wife had IV fluids.

If she's lost more than 10 % of her birth weight though, supplementing may be the way to go but if your wife can pump to supplement that helps her supply.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

New Weave Wendy posted:

Everything that sheri and Chickalicious posted is right on. If baby is 24 hours old, her stomach can hold about 5-7 ml of milk, so supplementing with even an ounce is way more than her little stomach can even hold. If your wife intends to nurse I would be very wary about supplementing with formula at this time because it can do more harm than good, keeping baby away from the breast when frequent sucking is what sets up your supply. The best way to ensure that your wife has a good milk supply is to nurse as much as possible especially during the early days/weeks. All the stimulation of baby sucking will signal the breasts to produce more and more milk. And baby suckling at the breast is even more efficient at stimulating than a pump.

I don't want to come across as a militant breastfeeder but, since your wife intends to nurse I wanted to offer encouragement more than anything. Especially with your baby being so young it can be hard to really see the whole picture - in my mind, she is either full-term or close to it (I couldn't tell if "18 days early" meant before due date, or before term) and if it were me, low birth weight wouldn't be a compelling enough reason to supplement so early. There is a wide variation in normal weight loss after birth and weight gain in breastfed babies. My advice would be to just nurse as much as possible - at least every 2-3 hours - wait for mom's milk to come in (remembering that this can take 3-5 days) and see what weight gain pattern is established before messing around with formula supplementation, drugs, etc. Doctors can be so quick to say that breastfeeding "isn't working" but the reality is that almost everyone can successfully breastfeed. And definitely seek out a lactation consultant if you have any other questions or concerns.

Amen. Exactly what I wanted to say except didn't want to type it all on my phone.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Canuckistan posted:

My wife tried breastfeeding with the last baby for three months with many many consults with LLL and public health. This was a bad three months with marathon feeding sessions, pumping when she could with very little milk being produced, many sleepless nights, and concerned parents. After three months our pediatrician gave a diagnosis of failure to thrive and we switched to formula. Night and day difference with the child after that. He started sleeping more and growth took off and went from FTT to 95 percentiles.

Don't be quick to assume that everyone that has trouble nursing is either not committed or doing it wrong. Based on her history she's starting Motilium tonight to try and stimulate milk production. We want our new baby to nurse more than anything, but we also are keenly aware of the past and the toll that it had on our family.

edit - I also made a mistake earlier. The forumla supplementation happening now is around 10 ml per feeding. This is after nursing for 45 minutes and then taking the 5-7 ml of colostrum that my wife is pumping between feeding.

Her stomach capacity is 5-7 ml in the first few days of life. If she is nursing for 45 minutes and then taking 5-7 ml of colostrum that is by far enough. I don't know how your medical team can say that your wife needs help with milk production when her milk hasn't even come in yet. The best way to get supply up is have baby at the breast as often as possible. Each pregnancy is different so your wife may be just fine this time.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Hdip posted:

Just got back from E's 1 year doctor's appointment. The doctor wants us to add in more foods. We've done lots of vegetables, fruits and chicken. Doctor said add in some fish. Any links for us to read up on adding more foods for a 12 month old? Currently we are only dealing with an egg allergy. The dairy allergy seems to be gone thankfully. My wife specifically is wondering about adding wheat to the diet.

We've been planning on nursing another 6 months. E is showing less interest in bottles of pumped breast milk. Sometimes not even finishing 2 ounces. Should my wife continue pumping at work everyday? She comes home at lunch to nurse.

When do I start trying to get him back to sleep without wanting to nurse in the middle of the night? Currently if I can rock him and he goes back to sleep in 5 minutes then I'll put him back down in his crib. If he fusses and doesn't want to go back to sleep he get's brought into our room to nurse for a bit before going back to his room.

Have you tried introducing a cup? Whether or not your wife wants to pump at work is up to you guys. She can still nurse when she's around him and he can drink cows milk or some other kid of milk/ toddler formula/ etc when she's not around.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

If you figure it out man let me know. Ben's nails are perpetually sharp regardless of length.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

The only person I know who has a baby that's about 3.5 months that "sleeps well" also ignored the wake ups and crying for several nights so the baby eventually gave up :(

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

tse1618 posted:

My baby only woke up once at night starting at 6 weeks and started sleeping 8-10 (once even 11.5!) hours a night at 3 or 3.5 months and I never ignored her cries. She was always just a good sleeper.

I'm not saying there aren't babies that are good sleepers at young ages, just that they are few and far between. :-)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

sebmojo posted:

I don't know about your friend, but that's a very uncharitable way to describe it. But CIO/Ferber is a holy war level discussion topic in various places so I'll leave it at that.

No, I'm not being uncharitable. She's a person in the mom's group I went to when I was off of work in maternity leave and she let her baby cry without responding for who knows how long at night. The baby learned no one was going to come and respond to her needs at night when she asked in the only way she knew how (crying/fussing) so eventually she quit asking to have her needs fulfilled. That's pretty much the process for CIO right? It's not like a baby learns to "self soothe" in two nights, they just give up, which is pretty much what you copied and pasted says too.

sheri fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 6, 2013

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Sockmuppet posted:

Again, I'm not expecting her to sleep through the night at all, I was just looking for tips on how to break her dependance on the boob as the only thing that will soothe her to sleep for her initial bedtime, because now she eats herself silly and spits up all over herself if she wakes up repeatedly before finally falling properly asleep, because she ends up eating more when she's just looking for comfort. She has refused pacifiers since birh, none of my husbands rocking and shhh-ing charms work, and when I try, she starts rooting and crying because how dare the boob lady withhold the delicious boobs that are right there gimme gimme!

Well, you could try nursing her until she is super drowsy but not quite sleeping and then remove her from the breast, and either hand her off to your husband for rocking or place her in her crib/wherever she sleeps and see if she'll drift off. My son will sometimes fall asleep in about 10 seconds without a peep if we hit the right state of drowsy when putting him down.

I'd start by getting her super drowsy and try rocking/singing/whatever to get her the rest of the way to sleep. If she falls asleep at the breast, wake her up slightly so she realizes she's not on the boob when she falls asleep.

You may need to leave the house the first few times. Just remember, if she is crying while being rocked etc, it is not the same as cry it out if someone is actively comforting her while she is crying.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My guy started rolling to his belly at 3.5 months and since he figured that out he's pretty much an exclusive side/belly sleeper. Continue to put him on his back when you put him down but yeah if he changes position himself it's fine.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

TheDeviousOne posted:

For the past 2-3 months that they've been in daycare, one or both of them and/or me and my wife have been sick. The latest was our daughter with pneumonia, and the other 3 of us with bronchitis. Oh and 2 different bouts of pink eye for each of them. I have since learned about part-time pre-school centers. If we had known about these before I started working, I probably never would have started at all.

I am not necessarily considering quitting and staying home with them again, but I still wonder if we've made the right choice.

All of my friends who are stay at home moms go through the illness carousel when their kids start kindergarten so you'd still have to deal with it at some point you're just getting it out of the way now.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

greatn posted:

Arthur is six and a half months now. He used to love being on his changing table and getting changed, but now anytime I take him to his table he immediately starts crying. I can calm him down by telling him I'm just changing him, and hand him a toy to keep his hands busy and get on with business, but it's really weird. I'm not sure why he immediately gets upset.

Really if I start taking him towards the back of the house at all, he gets mad. My theory is he's linked that half of the house with being put down for a nap.

It's pretty common for babies to get to the point where they don't enjoy or tolerate diaper changes and being dressed as much as they did early on. Maybe it has something to do with ever increasing mobility?

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Can you nurse her until she's almost asleep and put her in her crib/rock her/whatever when she is just barely awake and slowly increase how alert she is when you remove her from boob and put her in her crib/start rocking?

Edit: I nurse my 6.5 month old son to sleep because it is usually very easy and I don't mind. He will fall asleep for others at bedtime, especially if food is involved. However, you may need to leave the house if you are sticking with the not nursing until she is more accustomed to it.

My son we almost always can't just put down but a couple nights ago he wasn't content to nurse to sleep, would quiet down but not get heavy eyed at all while rocking so while he was quiet but still quite alert I put him in his crib, said "goodnight Ben!" And left the room. I heard him rolling about but he wasn't fussing at all. Ten minutes layer he was sound asleep. 8-O

This would never have happened even a few weeks ago and I did nothing special to make it happen. Babies will eventually sleep, some just take more time getting there. :). I'm hoping it happens more and more often now but I'm not counting on it.

sheri fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 3, 2014

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah I won't nurse with a cover either. Extra crap to lug around.

I'm taking my then 9- month old on a plane in March. He needs to be kept constantly busy so I'm hoping by then he'll have a longer attention span when playing with things. I'm going to pick up the car seat mentioned and buy him his own seat.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

greatn posted:

An airplane is probably safer than one's own house in terms of how likely a baby is to be injured. Comparing using an infant in arms ticket to putting a child in your lap in the car is quite frankly offensive.

I'm not going to say one way or the other about buying a seat or not, but clear air turbulence does happen (turbulence the pilots cannot foresee) and people, adults and children booth, have died from hitting turbulence, not being buckled in, and getting tossed about. That's why they always say even if the seat belt light is off if you are in your seat buckle yourself in.

Yes, it rarely happens but it does happen and it only takes a fee seconds of dropping/violent shaking to cause harm.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

greatn posted:

I looked it up and about 60 people per year are injured by turbulence in the United States, out of about 800 million passengers. You're literally much more likely to be struck by lightning in a given year. That said, the FAA does recommend child safety harnesses.

Further hashing those numbers out, if you took an infant in arms on a flight every month for two years(the max amount of time they can be infant in arms), during the entire time period there would be a roughly two in a million chance of them sustaining injury from turbulence.

Right, I said it was rare but it does happen and the long shot statistics don't much matter if you happen to be the one or two in a million.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Seven for a Secret posted:

My six-month-old daughter hates riding in the car and often cries the whole time. Showing her videos on my phone usually calms her down and occasionally even puts her to sleep, but showing babies videos is supposed to be bad for their development. Is it better to show her the videos or let her cry? (Another solution we've discovered is tapping her mouth so that the crying sounds like wub-wub-wub, which doesn't seem to make any difference to her but is hilarious to us.)

If showing her videos calms her down by all means do it. I think the screen time = bad is based on reasoning that screen time can replace play time for babies and playing and interacting is what contributes to their development. Obviously you can't be working on tummy time in the car so if showing her videos keeps her from stressing then I'd do it and not worry about it.

We are taking my not good in the car son on a plane in March and I'm going to have an large variety of videos ready. :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

We have sun shades and a mirror so we can monitor him/sun in the face/etc. He just hates being confined to the car seat for longer then 10-15 minutes at a time.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

You have said you like your job, want to make a career out of it, and that you don't have the patience to put up with two toddlers every day...so it seems like you answered your own question. Yeah, it sucks that they are sick all the time but would you rather have them be sick now or be sick when they would have to miss time from 'real' school?

sheri fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 22, 2014

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I don't know about the lactose intolerance not being a thing until six or not but I do not a lot of babies can have dairy protein sensitivity. If I ate a lot of dairy foods and breastfed my babby he had horrible gas, spit up a lot, and his poops were terrible. I eliminated dairy and he did a lot better. Breastmilk still has lactose in it so he wasn't lactose intolerant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk_allergy

He's thankfully outgrown it so I am eating cheese and ice cream en masse again. :)

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Lots of people I hear have good luck with this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mustela-Stelatopia-Moisturizing-Cream-ounces/dp/B00095LIP2

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

My baby used to bite me while nursing with just his gums and trust me those gums are hard enough to mash most things.

Now he bites me with the aid of two bottom teeth :-(

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, throwing a chair is in no way an acceptable response.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I don't know I have an 11 month old that is still nursing and pumping doesn't get as much milk out as the baby nursing so it may affect her supply AND I wouldn't want to have to pump for three days straight because pumping sucks.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah I'm wondering if the people who think she is being unreasonable have ever dealt with breastfeeding and pumping. Pumps are not as good as a baby at getting milk out. The amount of milk your body produces is a supply and demand relationship. If the demand us decreased for a few days (which it most likely will be if you are solely pumping) the supply your body produces will adjust. If you have a cooperative baby you may be able to bounce back or your baby could just be pissed at not getting the amount they want/need and give up.

It's not like he wants to take a three year old, the baby is under a year and all medical organizations say to breastfeed for a bare minimum of a year.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah he's probably concerned over nothing but his/their baby his/their rules...

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Does it matter? If he doesn't want the chair on just don't turn the chair on. What are you hoping to prove?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

And babies that young change their minds on what they like and don't like so quickly that in two weeks you'll probably be doing something completely different anyway.