Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When is a baby old enough to start using a high chair? I'm thinking about putting off buying one until it'll actually get used to avoid a lot of extra crap in our house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I haven't even had my baby yet and my mom likes to start in on giving me advice about "having to leave the baby alone". She doesn't understand why I'm getting a co sleeper to put next to the bed or why we've decided to use slings to carry the baby around.

We were out looking at baby stuff and I mentioned I didn't need a play pen and she commented that "You have to leave the baby alone sometime!" and I sort of just brushed her off with a "Oh....yeah?" and changed the subject. She had her last baby 27 years ago. While I appreciate her care, I keep trying to reiterate to her that my husband and I need to sort of figure this stuff out for ourselves too. I think she gets offended that we're doing a lot of things differently than she did with me and my brother. I don't think it helps that this is my parents first grand kid either.

Its hard when your family members mean well but are still offensive.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You have to make this for him when he's older.
http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/kitty-litter-cake-for-halloween

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My health insurance will cover the cost of a manual breast pump. Any recommendations? I'm going to be renting a higher end one as well, this would be more as a backup.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lyz posted:

Whatever you end up getting Alterian, keep it withing the brand so the parts are interchangeable. I got a Medela hand pump and I could use all the bits except the actual hand pump mechanism for the electric pump.

I didn't even consider that, thank you. That'll probably narrow my decision. I don't anticipate using it all the time, but being stuck somewhere without access to an electric plug might come up at some point between now and the next year when I just have to pump. It'll be free so I might as well have it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

When I was growing up, presents from Santa were wrapped in Santa Clause themed paper. I always wondered why Santa had the same handwriting as my mom on the tags.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I remember my mom telling me there wasn't a santa in 3rd grade. I thought about it for a moment and it made sense to me. I didn't really care all that much. My mom let me "help" wrap my younger brother's christmas gifts from santa that year.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

I would suggest you go to a store where you can try it out in your car before you buy. We were going to get the diono radian, but it just didn't fit in our car (toyota camry hybrid) very well. When we put it in rear-facing behind the passenger seat, my knees were all crammed up into the dashboard and I'm only 5'3".

Yeah. We have a Britax Chaperone and it barely fits in my husbands Jeep Patriot and in my Kia. We actually can't have anyone sitting in the front passenger seat. If we go somewhere together with the baby someone has to sit in the back with him.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Any creative ideas for a place to put dvds / video games that doesn't look like rear end? Right now we have ours on cheap college quality shelves. I'm worried when my kid gets to the age of climbing, these will be prime targets. We don't have a super huge collection. I'd only need room for about 100 dvds and 100 video games (giving room for growth).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I've already separated them out as dvds ok for any age and restricted dvds. I don't know if its sad or not that we had more dvds ok for any age already. We're just lame I guess. I was thinking about getting a closed entertainment center like that. The one we have now has a lot of nice high shelves for knick knacks out of reach though. I have time to come up with something at least.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Valdara posted:

I have yards and yards of unbleached cotton muslin. Would this work as swaddling blankets if cut to size and hemmed, or is that a different type of fabric?

The ones I have are muslin, but they don't feel like the same sort of muslin you get from a fabric store. They're sort of thinner and stretchy. I don't know anything about this brand or this site, but this is a good picture representing the type of fabric they're made from.

Edit: the muslin I used was for making sausage so it was thicker. If its a thinner muslin with some stretchiness to it, it could possibly work.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That article is interesting. My 2 month old has been sleeping pretty well at night, but how long he sleeps can be variable. It seems if I get him to eat more during the day, he sleeps longer at night. He's eating about a quart of formula :psyduck: a day no matter how its spread out. I hope I'm moving in the right direction with that. I stuffed him during the day yesterday and he slept for 7 hours straight this past night which was awesome since I have to get up at 5am to get to work.

Alterian fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 29, 2013

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Sort of in the same vein. Whats the best way to super duper clean a carpet of cat/dog pee? The animals no longer have access and eventually half of it is going to be a play area. I've done the enzymes and a carpet shampooer and I can still see them using a black light. Would a professional steam clean do any good? I really don't want to have to replace it if I can help. Its a larger room and we just replaced it in 2008. Its a downstairs carpet too so under the padding is cement. I'd love to put in laminate floors, but it would be a huge pain/expensive.

Its not like "oh god this room smells like pee!" but I know its there and even if you don't smell it, it bothers me that he'd be on the floor around it.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Has anyone had any luck finding "mommy groups" or something similar that are decent to go to? Now that my son is getting his shots and is starting to react to the world around him, it would be nice to try to socialize with others more with him. I work from home after lunch Mon - Wed, and my husband doesn't get home from work till 10pm on those days. It would be nice to be able to get out with him and do something so I'm not going stir crazy with him on those days. I looked on meetup.com, but most of them seemed really annoying, had strict rules and waiting lists, or were doing things like taking long day trips out of town a couple times a month.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Chickalicious posted:

I joined a cloth diapering group via meetup and then we migrated to Facebook. I found some of my closest friends there. I also found friends at LLL meetings. There was a lot of crossover between the two groups too, so it was nice to see familiar faces at get togethers for either one. Have you tried library story times? I connected with a couple people there too. We started going to all of these when my son was around 4 months old and I was starting to go a little stir crazy with not getting regular adult interaction during the day.

I went to one LLL meeting and the people there seemed nice, but I'm no longer breast feeding so it would seem disingenuous. I'll have to look into the library. He's just over 2 months now so I'm trying to get some feelers out there. We only know one other couple with a baby. They just had her too so they're not really in the right place to socialize again.

Edit: We also don't attend any churches so that's out.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I never used one but my dad said he got a bike seat to go on the back of his bike for me when I was a baby and he only used it once because it was the most terrifying bike ride of his life.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My son will be 4 months tomorrow and while he's not ready now, I think he'll be ready sooner than 6 months. He's already showing a lot of signs like being interested in food and he's almost sitting up unassisted. He still has a tongue thrust so he's not quite ready yet. He got really mad and upset at my husband eating a pot pie today until he let him grab some. He wasn't coordinated enough to actually grab any and put it in his mouth, but he was satisfied with touching it. I wouldn't have let him do it if I knew there was a chance he'd get it in his mouth. He was just so adamant to see what it was.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My son sort of self weaned himself from a swaddle. We had him in a swaddle sleep sack and he kept wriggling his hands free to chew on them because he was teething. We just kept making the swaddle on that looser and looser until it was nothing. Now he sleeps in his regular sleep sack without a swaddle.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Cooling the room shouldn't be an issue as long as they're dressed appropriately. In fact: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21537988

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Kids woot has sleep sacks on sale today for $9.99
http://kids.woot.com/

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Does anyone have any recommendations for baby safe paint? I want to paint something plastic that could potentially end up being mouthed or licked, but its not a chew toy. A spray paint would be ideal for what I want to paint. I can also put a clear coat on it if I need to.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Mine hated the car seat until we realized he was overheating since he's pretty much encapsulated on all sides. We'd pull him out and he'd be a sweaty, crying mess. Dressing him lighter and opening the window and blasting the ac (even when it was 40 deg. outside) calmed him down and made him happy.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I have a month until we're going to start getting Jasper to sleep in his crib instead of the co-sleeper next to our bed. :cry:

We put him in his crib occasionally now if we need to set him somewhere for a few minutes and he's taken a couple of naps in it. The big issue is he's really good at getting a leg/arm stuck through the slats. I've been reading conflicting things about bumpers. Some say they're ok, some say they aren't ok, some say the breathable ones are ok, but not to use them when they can sit on their own. He's already half sitting on his own now and I imagine he'll be a lot better at it in a month from now. I'm already planning to lower the crib when he's in it for good, but I'm not sure what to do about the bumper.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You could also do some "fun" stats with height/weight/head circumference like "Your baby is now twice as heavy as when they were born!" "Your baby's head is the same size as a cantelope!" "Your baby is longer than the average length of a garter snake!" "Your baby weighs as much as a bushel of apples!"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

How are you finding the number of instances of the name other than the rank?

Jasper was ranked 264. The last time the name was that high on the list was 100 years ago.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

While we're talking about feeding, is there an amount that's too much formula for a baby? I was looking up the amount Jasper should be eating and starting to read things like how you shouldn't be feeding more than 32oz of formula a day. He regularly eats about 40 and has had a day or two recently where he ate 48oz. He's not fat at all. Infact, he's on the skinny side. He's in the 90th percentile for height and 50th or weight. His doctor didn't say anything at his last check up at 4 months. He was eating around 36 oz then. He's due for another check up in a few weeks.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I found a Kermit the Frog doll on clearance for a dollar that Jasper seems to love compared to anything else we bought him. Of course I can't find another one for a backup anywhere. I'm hoping if he does lose it, another Kermit the Frog would be good enough.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

bamzilla posted:

Tylenol/motrin. Orajel makes a natural oral gel that is now safe to use, as well. It doesn't seem to really help my son, though.

That's because its homeopathic. Almost all non benzocane teething stuff for babies is just homeopath garbage. The ones that might potentially work are the ones with clove oil. I could only find one at the store that had clove oil in it, but it also had willow tree bark extract and I didn't think that would be very good to give to a baby.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Axiem posted:

Our Orajel Naturals teething gel has Eugenol in it, which is derived from clove oil. Based on how my finger feels after applying it, it certainly is a anesthetic. And it does work for us--our daughter definitely feels better after we get a little of it on. It lasts long enough for the Tylenol to kick in, at least.

Yeah. Like I said, some of them do have clove oil which would have an effect, but some of the natural orajels don't. I haven't been able to find any oragel locally with clove oil in it. The website for orajel natural doesn't even have the kind with clove oil in it now.
http://babyorajelnaturals.com/?gclid=CK7ivN-BubcCFcqZ4AodhhAALQ

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I know some parents here do infant lead weaning and I was wondering if there is any difference between formula fed babies and breast fed babies. All the on line guides I've read assume you're breastfeeding.

Jasper is now a little more than 6 months so we're working on introducing foods. He absolutely does not like to be fed with a spoon. The only exception is baby oatmeal watered down with formula, but not a baby spoon, an adult sized spoon, so he can blow bubbles in it and laugh while he eats it.

He does seem to enjoy picking up avocado and apple slices and scraping them along his two bottom teeth. I figure he's enjoying feeding himself and the first stages of infant led weaning I might as well go with that method.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got one of the squeeze bags that was just mango. My husband tasted it. The next day he went to the store and bought a bunch for himself since "its easier than cutting up a real mango!"

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

EVG posted:

Some sort of teething numbing stuff?

Skip this.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper is 28 1/4th" at 6 months, but only weighs 16 lbs.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Lightly blowing on a baby's face causes them to close their mouth and swallow.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You also have to be careful with not giving him issues with food.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I only got to watch one or two shows at that age. I watched one episode of Duck Tales in the afternoon and Looney Tunes with my dad before bed. When I got a little older I was still pretty restricted on how much tv I was allowed to watch in a day and I did whine and complain. The funny thing is now that I'm an adult, I hardly ever watch tv.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

We just give our kid something to eat when we eat our meals even if he doesn't really eat it and plays with it. He's still working on the swallowing thing, but he's into putting things in his mouth and chewing and having it fall back out.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Are you giving purees of the food or pieces? Jasper refuses to eat purees but has no issues with picking up pieces of food and "eating" them.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

You don't need to cut them into tiny pieces. It can be more like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce184xSIQfM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

My 6 month old will be all happy and smiles but start crying and get super upset when we put his pajamas on. He calms down fast once we get the bottle in his mouth. My mom told me he's just having a tantrum and I need to put him in his crib and let him cry until he falls asleep when he does that. :allears: