Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

bamzilla posted:

Basically here's the important thing to remember: everyone is a better parent than you are when it comes to your own child.

It's really true and its really not worth arguing about. I've leaned to just say "okay, thanks!" to all advice and then promptly ignore it.

My favorite is my wife's step dad who is the biggest rear end in a top hat in the world and never raised any children. Dude dispenses terrible advice like he's an automated terrible advice dispenser. Oh okay Paul, thanks for the advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Ariza posted:

Thanks! I didn't even think about that and now that I look there's quite a few ways to mount it to the back of the seat for her. Kids are so spoiled nowadays and I feel like such a hypocrite doing it after talking poo poo for so many years when I'd see people letting their kids watch movies in the car. I plan on only using it for long trips but I'm afraid it'll slowly seep into everyday use.

It doesn't have to. We let our daughter use the ipad on long road trips (there have been lots, we basically drove from the east to west coast and back again last year) but she's never even asked to use it on a trip to Costco or whatever.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So my daughter is about 4 and she's been at home with me the whole time since she was born, which has been good for her we think, but she's become a super clingy daddy's girl. Tonight I went out to do some dumb shopping and left her with my wife and she whined about how she missed me and wanted me to come home, the other day when she was mad at my wife she said she loved Daddy more than Mommy (which I mean, I'm sure she doesn't mean as hurtful as it is, she was just mad... But still...) etc... I know she's just a 4 year old but I think it makes my wife very depressed and what not.

So we were thinking they need some bonding time, Mommy+Julie activities/girls nights when I'm not around. My wife works long hours and I'm a stay at home dad so I'm around her a lot more. Anyone else have any suggestions or is it like a "yeah duh do that" situation?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Lyz posted:

Yeah I have satellite radio and I listen to Alt Nation which isn't too heavy but they don't filter the swears, so when he gets better at picking up words I'll have to switch. =/

No way just teach your kid to scream 'BAD WORD' whenever a curse word shows up.

Its hilarious...

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Konomex posted:

My daughter, who will be four months tomorrow, has decided that she wants to crawl. She cannot wait. She started doing what other parents are telling me is called a commando crawl but I've taken to describing as 'the sort of thing you'd see a paraplegic doing who fell out of his chair' but she kicks up with her knees as well.

We thought it might be a freak accident of hers but she's been doing it all day, any time you put her down she'll do it for a bit then get tired and start yelling in frustration because she's tired.

Tonight she crawled a good metre before getting stuck with her head wedged into a piece of furniture. Kept trying to crawl though, just got more and more annoyed.

Anyone else have a baby who just can't wait to move? She even tries to crawl over onto furniture when she's sitting on us to grab whatever takes her fancy.

Thats how my daughter was, crawling at about 5 months, walking at like 10, always climbing, never not moving.

Now shes 4 and sometimes she will just do laps around the house, tries to jump up multiple stairs at a time because 'its faster' and is obsessed with climbing trees and gets mad when bigger kids can do it and she can't.

What I'm saying is get used to it.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No it's not the same at all for little girls. The quandary of what I should do with my 4 year old daughter is mindboggling. It's going to be worse now that I have 2 of them to take care of. What happens when my little one is 2 and still needs help but my other one is 6? 6 seems too old for me to drag into a men's room but I'm not going to just leave her in a hallway.

Yeah this is the kind of stuff that keeps me up at night.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah I had one of those behind the bike seat bike seats that I used a couple times with my first kid and I will never use it again. It's terrible. Just makes things weird and unwieldily. We bought a trailer type dealie and its much easier on all of us. As for helmets just get something that fits well right?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
She's a baby.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good sturdy umbrella style stroller for slightly taller than average people? We have one but we hate it because both my wife and I have to bend over slightly to push it. Something with taller handles or adjustable would be great.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
If your baby powder is just corn starch you can use it to thicken gravies.

If its talcum powder I guess you could deodorize a cat's litter box with it?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Which one of you has experience with making your own baby food? I have an immersion blender and a food processor, would I be able to do it with that set up or should I get a food mill? Buying one of the baby food specific mills seems like a sucker deal, but I could justify a mill for other uses.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Honestly I just kind of want a food mill because I don't have one already. Good to know I can use what I already own though.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah dad has problems beyond the kid. Need to talk to dad about his problems.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

My 8-year-old is going to be Sonic the Hedgehog, my 6-year-old will be some Skylanders dude (Trigger Happy), and my 3-year-old is going to be a princess or a dinosaur, depending on what she decides that day. ;)

Seems like a good opportunity to introduce the world to Princess Dinosaur.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Chicken McNobody posted:

drat, Mr. Rogers was awesome. Is there anybody on TV now who even approximates the kind of work Mr. Rogers did? I get sad sometimes that there doesn't seem to be anyone like that for Arthur to grow up with. We've been DVRing Mr. Rogers reruns and also Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood, which isn't nearly as good. (Yes, we do limit his TV time.)

There's a cartoon on PBS now called Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood. It's not as great as the real show but it carries over a lot of the superficial elements and some of the style/nature.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
No single thing you do to a kid is going to scar them for life at 2. Heck probably not ever. If you're trying to teach consistent discipline and want to stick with it you did and congrats. That said if you took her anyways it wouldn't have unravelled all your discipline work either. It's not about single events but the over all cumulation of your parenting.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Hey full time stay at home dad here. Find a gym in your city that offers "child watch" or some kind of baby sitting service while you exercise. Places like the YMCA generally have it. You can show up whenever and drop your kid off in a supervised environment with other kids for as long as they can handle. Short times at first.

Most libraries have "story time" which isn't super interactive but might let your baby get used to other kids and stuff.

In general I find it kinda difficult to interfere myself into things, might just be because I live in the heart of the Midwest but even things like the PTA are so woman dominated I feel weird being there. Those things I listed served me well.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yeah renting varies. It's like 50 here. It's possible the lovely Ameda pump was already free, that's what my wife got and it's garbage.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Lots of people are real dumb and there's no reason to think parents are less dumb.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
My daughter fingerpainted her bathroom in poop once. She was trying to wash out her underwear, after a night time accident without waking us up.

In hindsight its actually pretty sweet and cute. Not at the time though, no.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
It's hard for little ones to talk on the phone like that. Something where they can see you is much easier like Skype or FaceTime.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Chickalicious posted:

If you have any intention of sending him to preschool, almost none of them in my area would accept a kid his age that wasn't potty-trained, outside of special needs situations.

That's what ours said (it's run by the school district) but it turns out they accept kids no matter what they just want to put some fear into parents I guess? We really didn't have any trouble and essentially no accidents since so I guess I shouldn't complain.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Cimber posted:

Dad', who else here is pissed off by parenting magazines that only talk about mom. Parent's Magazine is a prime example of this. Pictures of mom, articles written for mom, no discussion of dad. I remember one headliner from a few months back that said "What to do when he won't help you with the kids"

:colbert:

Yeah as a stay at home dad this in general is just really annoying. Not the magazine in particular but just everything for babies/toddlers is mom focused. I understand the demographics of it and stuff but it's still annoying being the only dad at library story time or whatever.

AlistairCookie posted:

I think those adventure playgrounds sound pretty awesome. My kids would eat that poo poo up; they already unpack part of our firewood pile and build Stonehenge/a pirate ship/a dinosaur pen/ on the driveway with logs and scraps of shelving and whatnot from the garage. It's their favorite thing to do outside.

Yeah I'd be down for that if we had something like that here. Sounds fun.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Do they even make merry go rounds any more? I haven't seen one in forever

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I'm just bitter because they tore the giant concrete sombrero slide down in my hometown.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Be happy nobody hot hurt with the scissors i guess? Kid is 4. You sound like you expect too much.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Well Elmo is a little dick always poo poo talking Zooey for her pet rock. Dude hangs out with that weirdo Mr Noodle. Who is he to judge?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I thought the guy that made Rent was dead, which is why people pretend it's good.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

flashy_mcflash posted:

If she's amenable to it, I found the 'roll roll roll' game to be helpful with this. I just put S on the bed and roll her around, log-style while she laughed her rear end off. She loved it and right after that I found she was able to flip a lot easier. I guess it gets them used to the sensation of going around, I dunno.

e: oh and we met Abby Cadabby last weekend. Easily my second-least favourite Sesame character after Baby Bear, but S loved her.

What the gently caress is wrong with you Abby rules she's a pumpkin expert

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Uh. It's cool that you want your kid to be assertive and macho or whatever but threw a chair seems a bit much

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
What? I mean I understand not giving a blanket to an infant, but 2.5 years? Either that kid can have a blanket just fine or I have vastly endangered both of my children.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Daniel Tiger is pretty great

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I can't even get my wife to take kids out of town for a weekend. I'm begging her damnit!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Unfortunately I don't believe there is any way to get your kids to sleep in. They just find a time they like and you're pretty much set. At least so far in my experience. I just have been taking notes, so that when they are teenagers and want to sleep all weekend I can keep waking them up at 6.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
They make 'training' toothpaste for really young kids, but I don't think you really 'need' it.

We had a hard time with our second on the toothbrushing but if we do it while her big sister does it at the same time she is much less fighty.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
We took our first kid to the movies at like 2 and a half but it was the recent Winnie the Pooh movie and she loves that and it's super short. I don't think she would have been ready for a different movie at that point.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

It is kosher to take your two year olds to R movies, right? Those little monsters have cost me months and months of missed mediocre films :mad:

Only if they are rated R for violence/gore and not nudity. 2 year olds don't need to be seeing nipples!

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
2.5 is pretty young to expect her to pay attention all the time especially if she has a friend she knows from outside the deal. I wouldn't worry about it too much. What are the coaches saying about it? Is it bothering them that she isn't staying on task?

My kid wasn't very good at that kind of stuff until like 4. She still tends to get distracted sometimes, except at swimming lessons she loving loves those.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

raaaan posted:

Does anyone here have any experience with leapfrog learning tablets and how durable they are/are not? My daughter will be turning two in August and LOVES my iPhone and my kindle fire. I have quite a few kids apps and she loves my flash card apps and has a pretty good grasp on how both of them work, but I can't just hand either device to her because she's easily distracted and will sometimes toss what she's using aside because suddenly the cat is more interesting than what she was doing. She's not two yet, so that's expected, but it's less than ideal when it comes to randomly dropping my poor phone or kindle on the hardwood floor and breaking them.

I'm not super concerned with the apps on a leapfrog being too old for her--she's pretty sharp and knows about 50 animals, can count to ten and is now learning letters, so anything educational is great. My biggest concern is blowing almost a hundred bucks on something that will be broken right away. Thoughts?

My in laws bought my kid at Leapster dealie, (not tablet, the handheld one) when she was 3, it recently broke, shes 5 now. She wasn't really playing it much any more either so it probably got a year and a half of use.

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting one if you kid is using your phone a lot. Just buy a used ipod touch and put it in one of those super kid cases. Games are a lot cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Gotta judge people about something. Obviously if you need something like that you're a bad parent.