Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Is there a library nearby? Sometimes they have storytime or playtime for babies. Even if there aren't any programs, it's an easy place to visit with a kid that doesn't involve spending money, and the books/movies/video games there are their own reward! He has to get out of the house for your kid's sake if not for his own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I wouldn't leave him to work it out on his own.

Can you address the warmth in his room issue? Maybe dress him in warmer pajamas or turn your heat up higher than you normally would just so the nursery does get warm enough?
Yeah, Kosta was waking up a few days ago when the weather changed, and we had to run out to get him a sleepsack. Fleece sleepsack with fleece pjs works pretty well. You could leave a fan on earlier when it's warm and then turn it off when you go to bed.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

What about a little space heater with a thermometer? I think my in-laws had one that would only turn on if it was below 70 or something like that.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I actually think the Diaper Genie is a good choice when using disposables and does a great job of keeping in smells. My brother has one of those short pails that lets you use your own trash bags, and it requires both hands (so you have none to keep on the baby) and jams constantly. The only times I've had an issue with the Diaper Genie have been for those occasional monstrous poops after the baby tries certain foods where I'm struggling not to puke as I change him. I can understand that, if I can smell something from the next room over, nothing's going to contain that smell.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

bamzilla posted:

I think the Diaper Genie is hit or miss. We have the deluxe II edition and have had no issues with stink. We used it extensively the first 2 years with our daughter and are now using it with our son. My daughter also has atomic shits (whose kid has good smelling poo poo anyway), but I just lysol the hell out of the thing each time I empty it.

You can actually use it with cloth diapers, too, but I try not to because I'm gross and I'd totally forget about it having diapers in it.

Maybe it is the edition--we have the deluxe II too!

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Chicken McNobody, that's so sad, because at 8 months, they really do enjoy looking at things. I forget if you said if there are parks nearby? Our little guy loves looking at trees and touching grass, and this is a good time of year for it because the heat's starting to lessen. We just took our 7.5-month-old to the park for the first time and he LOVED the baby swings and sitting on our laps on the adult swings!

You can see how with the baby swing we have to tuck his arms behind the chains or he'll flipflop all over. At first we thought he was too little to enjoy it, but we just had to work with him a little :)

edit:

Canuckistan posted:

It's funny that I'm part of a forum where "rear end-burgers" is mocked as an excuse for not acting normal and then we have this fabulous kid who's not acting normal. I can tell you he wants to be like the other kids but he can't. He's told me so.

I can't help you with your questions, but I can tell you that within this thread, you won't see anyone mock kids with special needs. :)

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Sep 24, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

LuckyDaemon posted:

I'm getting very frustrated trying to find the magic combination of sleepwear that will keep Kosta toasty at 4:00 AM, but not so sweaty and uncomfortable when he goes to bed around 6:30 or 7:00.

We don't have central air and it's not quite cold enough for kicking the heat on, so it's about a 5-6 degree temperature drop in the wee hours. But when we're going to bed around 10:00 it's not cold yet, so throwing a blanket on him makes him too hot.

And he wakes up, cold--sometime's he'll go right back down with an extra blanket and sometimes he's up for WAAAAY too long.

I have a thermostat in the room and I'm getting kind of nutso checking it all evening. Do you think babies would sleep better if they are slightly too warm or slightly too cold?

Do you have a fan? Now that it's back to being a little warmer, we have him in fleece jammies and a cotton sleepsack, with the fan on earlier in the night. When we go to bed, we turn it off.

Brennanite, are there any foods he will eat? Kosta's getting iffy on purees now, but he loves a nice slice of apple to gnaw at.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 25, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

rio posted:

Oh whoops - yeah. That first one does get a lot of hits. I'll blame the lack of sleep as I could have sworn I did search that one already.

http://www.postpartum.net/Friends-and-Family/Resources-for-Fathers.aspx This also has a link to a forum for men with PPD. How're things going at home? Anything from before resolved? When you're already tired and upset, family stuff can seem to snowball.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

There's a new Fisher Price chair out that's supposed to have WIPEABLE STRAPS. I can tell you, I would trade any highchair for one with that feature.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Senso posted:

Our son very rarely cries in the night (3 1/2) or even wakes up, he's a hard sleeper like me. Except that he gets up at 6am and comes in our bedroom to wake us up. It's so early for me that I don't even have the strength to tell him "no please, go back to your bed and and sleep another hour."
I've seen a lot of people here use those kid alarm clocks that show the sun when it's time to get out of bed.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

me your dad posted:

Can anyone tell me a good book or website with recipes for babies? Our daughter is 10 months and we feel rather uncreative in what we feed her, and repetitive.

Her meals are looking like this currently:

Breakfast: Pancakes and/or oatmeal and fruit

Lunch: Daycare provides this on weekdays. They're an in-house, family run thing, and they make a good variety of foods. On weekends we usually feed something similar to what we give her for dinner.

Dinner: Typically organic meatballs or chicken tenders, with diced peas and carrots, cheese, and fruit

Our little guy is 8 months. We generally try to feed him pieces from our plate, but he also particularly likes Greek yogurt for breakfast, and that'd be something easy for you to add into the rotation. He has it plain or with fruit mixed in. Other favorites are spinach, asparagus, grape leaves, feta, bread, chick pea soup, lentil soup, spanakopita... really, you could easily just do what was already mentioned and just not season a little bit of what you're eating and try her on it! Instead of chicken tenders, just cook chicken somehow for dinner and feed her some!

edit: for a recipe, we do this chick pea soup: http://www.kalofagas.ca/2010/09/26/chickpea-soup/ but we use canned chick peas & bottled lemon juice and just chop everything up and toss it in the pot. They are super round, but you could easily just squash each chick pea or blend it a little. We add a lot of garlic and blend it into a sort of hummusy-type thing and Kosta just gobbles it up.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Oct 14, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Are you pureeing foods for Kosta? We are trying the baby led weaning method (no purees) and find our little guy (9 months) has a hard time with leafy foods like lettuce or spinach. If you are giving Kosta pieces of spinach, I would be really interested in how he is dealing with them.

I pureed some things at first, and I still puree the chickpea soup because he seems to love the creaminess so much that way. For spanakotia, I just ripped it open and gave him a pinch at a time of the filling, so not really baby-led weaning. I think the cheese really helps him to get the spinach down with less gagging. When we give him grape leaves, we do the same thing--we rip off a tiny bit of the grape leaf or filling and feed it to him. Same thing when I'm eating salad. Things like apple slices, toast, pieces of cheese we let him feed himself, but certain textures he'll gag on more often if we don't feed it to him. I think the grape leaf is easier than the spinach because it's a little thicker and doesn't stick to the tongue as much.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

El Gato posted:

Hi all,

My wife and I had our first child (a daughter) in July. She was six weeks early, so we didn't get the "normal" first few weeks... but she's ok now.

At what point did people start getting the bedtime routine to work? She just turned 3 months, but we're not sure if the differences in getting her to bed from night to night are caused by her or by us not being consistent.

I felt like it took us 3 months just to get a handle on things and START having a steady bedtime routine. We had to learn his tired signals and then figure out how much earlier than that we'd need to start getting him ready. Even when she gets to the right adjusted age, don't be discouraged if it takes you a little while to figure out a routine that works for you and for her! We kept trying nighttime baths because EVERYONE does them, but finally figured out that he didn't have enough energy for them and he'd just end up bawling at the end.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Chicken McNobody posted:

What's the oldest you guys have swaddled? I am tempted to start putting my 9-month-old back into the Sleep Sack, arms-out with the swaddly bit wrapped around his middle, to see if it helps him fall asleep and stay there without having to gnaw on my boob. We swaddled consistently until he started rolling over and haven't done it in a few months.

I think he might be a zombie in training. He throws a fit if you offer a paci or teething ring but he loves to try to chew on my boob or arm or knee or the cats or whatever living flesh happens to be near his mouth.

We swaddled later than most, until around 6 months, and then switched to sleepsacks. Does he have a lovey? That helped our little guy when we transitioned out of them. We started off having him hold a bunny while I nursed him, then put it in the crib with him, with one ear tucked into his mouth to chew on. Now 2 months later, he only hugs it and doesn't need to chew.

Have you tried this type of teether? http://www.amazon.com/Nuby-Silicone-Teether-Bristles-Colors/dp/B005LETP1A The silicone gives it a feel that's actually kind of like flesh and there's a little brushy part that hits those teeth just right. My guy refuses all teething rings, icy washcloths, and pacifiers, but loves this one.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Konomex posted:

Tried swaddling, she'd generally hate it. Couldn't have her arms inside, kicked and kicked until it came undone and the blankets came off her.

Tried sleep sacks, she'd vomit/pee/poop on all of our sleep sacks in one night. Also I don't have a drier so getting them dry by the next night was tricky. Also, she was going through a size every week to week and a half so we decided to stop setting fire to our money.

She sleeps fine now with just a blanket loosely laid across her, tucked in so it can't work it's way over her face.

Any advice for getting her to sleep in her own bed? At the moment she demands to sleep on our bed, also my partner had some anxiety issues from the hospital, so I've pretty much been on the couch since she was born. Now she's getting older I want to transition her to her own cot, but she seems to think her cot is a great place to play rather than sleep. She'll lie there for ages giggling, rolling around and babbling to herself.

She's 11 weeks old and has slept in her cot before, but my partner got really anxious about her being in another bed. Now that that is mostly dealt with she's fine to move her into her cot.

You could try starting with the cot in your room and eventually moving it to her room. What we did, though, was put him down for naps in his crib, while having him spend nights with us until he was used to it, and anecdotally, had no problem at all. I think it's great that she rolls around and babbled and laughs! She sounds like a really happy baby. You do want her to LIKE her crib and not dread it. :) I'd honestly just let her play and tire herself out. Today for some reason, Kosta crawled and rolled around his for a solid hour before he decided to take his second nap. Doesn't bother me, since he's happy and not crying!

If your partner's not comfortable having the baby in her own room, she could try camping out on the floor to reassure herself that the baby's fine. Otherwise, video monitors are a godsend. I've been seeing the older Summer's Infant style at TJ Max and Marshalls lately.

As a side note, you may want to retry sleep sacks as she gets older, because I know ever since my little guy learned to roll, there was no way any blanket would stay on him! I know you said yours is 11 weeks--babies go through a few sizes at first, but then they tend to slow down a little. I think even getting one wearable blanket is a good investment, and again you can find them half off at discount stores. There are only 3 or 4 sizes of Halo sleepsacks, and my 1-year-old-sized 8-month-old is in either the medium or the large, so whenever that time comes, I'm sure one of them should fit!

edit: the vomiting will slow down too :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

The sleep sheep's meant to go on the outside of the crib with the buttons facing in, so the baby can eventually reach over and punch the buttons, without it serving as a choking hazard. I straight-up asked my ped when she felt a comfort object would be safe in the crib, since the AAP has two conflicting statements--one saying one year, and one saying 6 months. She was happy with the 6 months guideline for small, firmly-stuffed stuffed animals.

edit: he didn't seem to care either way at first for the seahorse, but now, through the power of repetition and habit, he loves it. You can use it as a training tool early on or introduce it later. We played the seahorse at first when he was younger, but eventually started forgetting to, and got back into it around 6 months. Around 5 months he was given the sleep sheep, and that REALLY worked right away, but it doesn't fit snugly to our crib, so the buttons are harder for him to press. It does help, like all elements of a bedtime routine, for when babysitters are there and such.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Oct 30, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

iwik posted:

Thanks for that. Little dude is 5 weeks old now and I will be going back to work soon for a couple of days a week, with my parents (who are only a stone's throw from work) looking after him while I'm there. I was wondering about getting the seahorse or equivalent to at night time/home days here and then taking it over with us to have a familiar something to help him get to sleep through the day or simply settle him down a bit.

Would that work at all? Or are they not that effective as a soothing tool?

At 5 weeks, I don't think Kosta cared where he was sleeping at all. You'll probably find that he'll sleep just fine at both places.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Toadpuppy posted:

When it was time to stop night feedings, we'd just go check on her when she woke up at night but didn't feed her, and she'd usually go right back to sleep. Maybe we were just lucky, though. If she didn't go back to sleep we were prepared to feed her, but oddly enough that never happened.

I do this. Kosta goes back and forth on feeding at night or not depending on sleep regression and teething and whatnot. When I know he's not going through a rough time, I just pick him up, cuddle, put him down, turn on the sleep sheep/seahorse, and tuck his bunny into his arms. He usually gives an angry squawk and then is silent by the time the door's closed. If he's hungry, he'll keep fussing for me and not be able to settle.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Mine loves pureed chickpeas--baby's first hummus. :) Lentil soup's another good one with a variety of textures. Toast is easy for baby to self-feed and also so easy to smear jam or sunflower seed butter or butter or whatever on it, for an added oomph.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Red is Dead, if she's not comfortable with you doing every evening feed, you could ask if she'd like you to do ONE feed, one day, and then see how she feels from there. Keep in mind that at 3 months, depending on her body, she's likely to still wake up at the time of the feeding, because her body knows that's the time milk is needed. She may still have to wake and pump, which might take more time and effort than actually feeding. A trial run or two might be good. Or you could ask her to pump and store it in the freezer so that in case she doesn't wake some night, you can take care of the baby's feed more spontaneously.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I don't worry about it, especially when he's in fleece jammies and a fleece sleepsack. It's like worrying about his nose being cold :) I had the opposite experience as LoG; when I had socks on his hands for a while, he kept sucking on them and always had icy hands.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

How about tylenol?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Why not read 2-4 books? We check out board books from the library, but regulars from the bookshelf are Goodnight Moon, The Going to Bed Book, How Do I Love You, I Love You Through and Through... there are a lot of classics. That way you can keep your gorilla book as the last one if you like and still get some variety. :)

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Brennanite posted:

I assume that everyone is giving his or her teething child Tylenol and Orajel at regular intervals in addition to the methods suggested here.

Good for you for assuming?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

ChloroformSeduction posted:

This I would totally agree with. Thing is, if you go to get them evaluated, you'll either get a green light, or, if there is some sort of developmental disorder or other factor, you can start doing something about it. Usually kids are totally fine, and even if they are, often the people doing the assessment will give you some proactive things to do (maybe some signing or book recs, whatever), which if nothing else, makes you feel more proactive.

My kid might be on the spectrum, and at his age (under two), we do lots of play based therapy, which certainly doesn't hurt.

ETA: Does anyone have any recommendations for children's music that doesn't drive you insane? I like Jack Johnson, and Bobs & Lolo have been pretty popular, but some of it drives me insane.

I'll second TMBG. If you look on Youtube, they have all their songs up from Here Come the ABCs, Here Come the 123s, No! and whatever other kids' albums they have. They are amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FijQbZeTGNc

edit: I'm just going to admit that I love Raffi too.

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 28, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

My understanding is that the earlier kids get help for any sort of issue, the better. The early years are really really pivotal in speech, as with any developmental issues. You're going to find some kids that improve with no help needed and some that don't, but I think the important thing is to take those stories with a grain of salt, go to the evaluation and hear what they have to say, and then bring the cost issue up with them. Without going, you don't know what their advice will be--it might be for you to do speech exercises at home with him and then come in for monthly evaluations to see how he's progressing.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Imperialist Dog posted:

I'm going a bit nuts here so maybe someone can help me out. As I type this our 19-month-old son Andrew is screaming like he's being murdered in the background.
I try to get home from work as early as possible (usually around 6:30) so I can take Andrew to the park for a bit before his mom comes home. After meeting her at the train station we go back to our flat, where the maid and I proceed to play with Andrew until supper time.
Sigh. Sorry for the disorganisation. Andrew is crying again and it's the 10-minute interval, so I went to check on him to tell him everything is fine and he immediately jumped out of bed and ran to the door to find a way out to get to our maid. He sounds so pitiful and I feel horrible and guilty. Can anyone offer some advice on what to do with him, first and foremost?
I understand you all live together, but when you and the wife are home, why should your maid be playing with your son? Not to exclude her, but I'm sure she'd like some time to herself, and you could play with your son alone. You need to build a closer bond with him through things like that. Maybe you could call or skype him during your lunch break, feed him breakfast in the morning, be the one to give him his last bottle, sing a silly song to him right before bed, that sort of thing.

My nearly 10-month-old son goes to bed really early--about 30 minutes after my husband gets home--and it's really hard on all of us. He especially feels sad that he misses so much of Kosta's day. To make up for it, we try to skype for a few minutes during his lunch, he'll feed the baby breakfast while I sleep, things like that. For baby's bedtime routine, the only thing I do is nurse him and help with toothbrushing--husband changes diaper, puts on the pajamas, reads all the stories, places him in the crib, and says the final goodnight. On weekends he goes into the baby's room to comfort him in the night and does as much as possible to soak up time with him.

I know it's hard because it's natural for your son to love the maid, but you've got to get time in there with just you and your wife. You want him to realize that you'll take care of him, love him, and protect him. I really wouldn't do cry it out specifically because you really want your son to realize that if he's scared, Daddy will come and save him and make things better. You WANT him to be calling for you. That's a good opportunity to bond right in front of you.

Since I breastfed, for a while I was the one getting up most of the time at night. Once our son didn't need nonstop milk, my husband swapped in so that I could get a break. It's true that for a while--I can't remember if it was a few days or a week, but it was SHORT--the baby was SO ANGRY that it wasn't me coming that he'd scream and shriek. My husband and I were both miserable about it, but we knew baby wasn't alone or in danger--he was being cradled and rocked and sung to. Soon he stopped protesting and relaxed when his daddy went to him.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Imperialist Dog posted:

I think the bond between my son and I is ok, actually. He loves going out with me to the park or climbing all over me on our bed and is all smiles and giggles.

When you said this, doesn't it show you that it might be beneficial to strengthen your bond?

"my routine (bath, bedtime story, sing to sleep) has been totally co-opted to bath only, as Andrew now insists on doing things with our maid only. In the middle of the night, if Andrew gets upset, I would go and see what was the matter, but as this drives him even further in our maid's arms, my wife has told me to not get out of bed, so I have to lie there and listen to him scream."

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Finger puppets? They squish small and are light, so shouldn't add too much to the shipping cost. Kosta likes watching them dance around.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Is there a center seat? Could you slide into the car, get him out, and slide out?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Ok, just slide in from the opposite side and lift him out. That'll still work.

edit: you'll work those arms!

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Dec 7, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

The Young Marge posted:

Ouch, the Element looks like a real bitch to accommodate a car seat. I'm starting to look into convertible seats too, but just for a Prius.

Easily shippable gifts a for one-year-old: books that aren't easily destroyed (so, not with paper pages), stacky anything, wooden puzzles...?

Speaking of gifts, here's a silly little question - what do you guys use for Santa Claus Wrapping Paper? I realized I get to pick some out today, and got all excited. I have fond memories of seeing gifts with the special wrapping paper under the tree in the morning at Christmas. My parents just used paper with a smiley Santa print. A friend suggested old-timey stuff, like brown paper with red and green twine, and that sounds pretty boss to me! (Cheap, too.)

There are these books called Indestructibles. I haven't seen them in person, but they get really good reviews on Amazon. Also finger puppets and TMBG kids's cds.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Just a heads-up to anyone that doesn't know--that's only safe if the car manual specifically says. You'd THINK all car-makers would make those latches usable for any position, but typically they don't. My Jetta's like that, I think, just latches for the side seats and nothing for the middle. Pain in the neck.
Link here: http://www.car-seat.org/showthread.php?t=33718

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Dec 7, 2012

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Kosta's too little to get what's going on right now. My husband wants him to believe in the magic, I'd rather he learn that he was a bishop who did nice things for people and now we're all "being Santa" for each other. It complicates things a bit that here, Santa is St Nick and where our families come from, he's St Basil.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

PXJ800 posted:

My older daughter is 3 and a half and recently we've been talking about strangers. She's good about parroting the "never talk to strangers" rules but recently she's been asking questions about how strangers act, the difference between "mean" and "nice" strangers, and how to define a stranger (after a neighbor she didn't know said hello while we were walking around the block).

Someone posted a great link about how it helps to tell kids not to talk to tricky people instead of 'strangers.' It had a great list of key behaviors, like asking a kid for help--because no adult ever needs a little kid to help them with anything.

Edit: Here it is! http://safelyeverafter.com/tips.html

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm so sorry :( That's so stressful for you. How is your pediatrician keeping tabs on it?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

That's really hard. It's important to had a pediatrician you feel you can trust. Maybe your perinatologist's office (or one closer around) can recommend a ped in your new area?

It's not creepy at all to have a video monitor, and a webcam is essentially the same thing. :) I think many people prefer video to sound-only because you can see whether that noise or silence means anything! Anything to relieve a little of that stress.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

:3: She's beautiful.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

It's also normal for taste preferences to change, since you talked about that. It's a part of expressing desires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

Maybe you could measure one dollop of soap on the washcloth when you run his bath?