Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

MarquisDeSade posted:

What worked for us was I would be responsible for the baby from around 9-2 while my wife slept and she’d be responsible for rest of the night. Having some bottles saved up and ready to go made that possible. And it allowed each of us to get at least 4 or 5 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I also stayed downstairs and the baby slept in the bassinet next to me so my wife wouldn’t get disturbed.

This is exactly what we are doing with our 3 week old baby, and as far as routines go, it’s pretty comfy so far. I’ll give the baby a knockout bottle around 10 and god willing she’s asleep in under an hour, and we feel comfortable enough going for 4 hours between feedings. So around 2 or 3 she starts to wake, I’ll change the diaper, pass her off to the wife and get some sleep. On good nights, the baby will nurse once, go down for two hours and then nurse again. On bad nights, she’ll have longer hour long feedings. Either way, around 7 or 8, I’ll wake up and give her another bottle and chill with her until noon. I think I’m just shedding my anxiety of needing to have one of us awake and making sure she is still breathing.

The pediatrician diagnosed a minor case of thrush, and things online predictably state it’s either a months long battle akin to a lice infection, or it’s resolved the next day with the anti fungal. The ped also said it generally does not cause fussyness, which means we just have a fussy baby :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

My 6 week postpartum wife broke down into sobbing because she ate more of a cut up apple than I did, and felt bad about it. Hormones are no joke.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

A minor thing if anyone can recall: our 7 week old sure seems like she’s getting her saliva in. Is it common for them to have a lot of it, and having difficulty swallowing it all? Is it a thing that just turns on one day? Googling just gives me a ton of generic stuff, or things about spitup, which is unrelated.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Thanks for the reassurance. One of the first genuine frights in the hospital was her making a perfect o with her mouth and choking for an instant on the amniontic fluids she was spitting up still. I was shocked at how much it mimicked a grown person choking. Now with all the saliva, I guess it’s just another note in the symphony of weird noises she makes.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Fuckin 2 month vaccination shots man. I was on speakerphone and you could hear the doctor baby talk to my baby, then pause and then the awful screams. And I had to take both bandaids off, which was more screaming. Poor girl has been wiped out all day.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

At what point do newborn guts get themselves sorted out? Ours is 10 weeks and is a sweet little angel, until she gets gassy and then cannot get comfortable without be walked or sung to. I don’t think it’s reflux or anything out of the ordinary, I just want to know when that’s likely to be over.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Just had our first episode of ‘too tired to sleep’ what the gently caress baby

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

What are your opinions on vaccinated adults around unvaccinated children? We are lucky enough that around the middle of April, all grandparents and us parents will be vaccinated, but our (by that time) 3.5 month obviously will not be. Our pediatrician’s nurse line suggested that we call our local hospitals Covid line, but after an hour we just got disconnected. I figure we can ask at the 3mo appointment, but the grandparents are licking their lips for unfettered access.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Thanks everyone. We found out wifey was pregnant 2 weeks into lockdown, so we spent quarantine hyper vigilant, which kinda sucked for everyone but we don’t have any regrets. It would be lovely now to give into grandparent pressure, only for something bad to happen

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

We never got purple screaming, but our 3 mo old is noticeably more fussy at night. She absolutely does the extreme fussing on the verge of sleep, with her eyes closed and intermittent periods of faux-sleeping. This especially sucks because one false move and wham, eyes wide open and we are back to square like...2 or 3. We also have a 70 year old home with hardwood floors, so we have to step very very carefully upon leaving or entering various rooms.

Anyways, we are mostly able to have her sticking her tongue out when we do it at her, and that’s pretty cool.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Maybe it’s a temperature thing? Where I am, the weather is swinging my madly from the low 40s to 80. We got a new furnace/ac system that didn’t come calibrated well, and it’s been hell trying to figure out what the temps actually are in each room. Turns out, when it’s 3 degrees cooler, our baby stops fussing and starts sleeping a hulluva lot quicker.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Since that post, my wife showed me One Weird Trick to calm baby, which is to gently/loosely hold her wrists at her sides/hips and magically after struggling for 10 seconds just passes the gently caress out

I'm wondering if this is related to sleep sack training

We’ve had a lot of luck with sleep sacks, and it certainly seems to prevent the ‘thrashing demon’ phase of the sleep cycle.

I’m a little worried about our house. We bought because we wanted to start a family, but we didn’t quite think thru some of the finer points. It feels on the small side, at 1250sqft, tho I’m hoping we can get rid of some junk to reclaim some space. The biggest concern is that the kitchen is centrally located, so I feel like I have to tiptoe thru every motion- cleaning the dishes, making coffee, feeding the cats. The nursery also shares a wall with where we watch TV, so we’ll have to find some solution for that when she transitions to her room. The floors are also squeaky as poo poo and it really sucks at 4am. It’s probably a bad habit to try to muffle or prevent sounds, and better to get her used to normal house noises... but I’d rather not wake up the baby. I’m trying to picture a toddler running and screaming with toys and i feel bad there won’t be enough room to really let loose. I know people do it around the world all the time, but how do people raise kids in even smaller homes?

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Apr 10, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Quick question that’s hard to google. 3.5mo Baby girl is hitting developmental milestones with no real issues, but I noticed that she hasn’t been coping as much, nor has she been trying to jackknife onto her stomach as much. I read that some babies can only tackle one or two skills as a time. That doesn’t feel right to me, but she is learning how to eat her entire fist, and that looks tough. Is skill regression a thing?

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Apr 16, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

sheri posted:

How old is she?

Oops, 3.5 mo I’ll edit the post thanks

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Nthing the sound machine at what I would consider very high volumes. My wife read it helped one night, and though it sounds like Niagara Falls in the nursery, the quality and quantity of sleep has increased, and we can pretty much do whatever else we want in the rest of the house without worry.

It sounds like we are lucky. At 4 months, our baby can fall asleep on the boob and transition to bassinet 90% of the time. The other 10% involves this adorable hand holding/hand pushing away motion while she drifts off.

The ped at her 4 month appointment said based on the amount of drool she’s likely experiencing teething gum irritation, which explains the torrents I guess. She also recommended starting on purées, just to see if it can be done. Are there any veggie ones that are particularly good beyond sweet potato and carrots? I’d be afraid to do a broccoli or bean one, and she said veggies are better than fruits so they don’t get hooked on the sugar. Also, do you just plop em down and try to get a spoon in there or what.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Posted in my local fb neighborhood group.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

nwin posted:

After only a few days with the newborn home I’ve realized I’m a fan of the toddler phase more than the baby phase. Sure my toddler doesn’t listen to me 90% of the time and drives me crazy, but at least he’s not making GBS threads and puking everywhere.

At least we realized we were woefully underfeeding the kid the first night (like 10 ml a feeding plus whatever he got through the boob). Now my wife’s producing more milk and we’re supplementing formula and he looks way better.

I don’t think either hospital told us how much to feed the kids except to feed every 2-3 hours. In the hospital they had us use these little 1 ml and 3 ml syringes and the lactation consultants and nurses were saying how good we’re doing and how much my wife was producing. We just assumed it would be only a little more the first night. I think we should have been doing 1-2 ounces a feeding instead maybe? Right now on day 5 he’s between 2-3 ounces a feeding every 3 hours. If I remember right the goal is 24 oz a day.

Yea, we had a similar experience where it wasn’t super clear how much we should be feeding. The 24oz/1 per hour was recommended to us in her 2nd or 3rd week.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Caught our 4.5 month old sleeping on her stomach for the first time. She can roll over with ease now but man, I just got adjusted to the low-grade sids paranoia that comes with the irregular breathing and many weird noises of infant sleep. Is there anything to watch out for? She can kind of inchworm herself forward, and I’m worried she’ll cram her head against a wall and not be able to free herself from an awkward position.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

A Big... Dog posted:

My daughter is 8 days old and over the last 24 hours decided that sleep is for the weak. Managed to get her down for about two hours total today. I just need some reassurance that this is fine (or at the very least, normal) while my brain slowly disintegrates.

Beyond that, we're having the most fun. She's gorgeous, obviously, and I've every confidence that she'll grow up to be World President. My wife is doing such an amazing job and I couldn't be prouder of them both.

Looking forward to posting in here more!!!!!! When I'm tired and nothing works!!!!!!!!!!!! I looked at the "new parents" subreddit (devouring any and all parenting content right now) and boy do a lot of folks in there have garbage husbands

No one ever told us that newborns have insanely short wakewindows, and should be taking a nap like once every 1.25 to 2 hours. We made it to like the month checkup until we explained our daughters crappy sleeping habits, and someone was like, oh, try tracking wake time and putting her down at the first sign of fussiness in that 1.25 to 2 hour window. With ours, even an extended wake window could disrupt a whole few days of sleeping quality. Shes still a terrible napper, but once we started tracking, it really helped.

My 6 month old has discovered scratching things with her index finger rules, and he favorite thing to scratch is the cuticle on my thumb as we’re holding hands before she sleeps :pwn:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

remigious posted:

The child just hit 6 months and I feel like he’s a completely different baby now, he has learned SO MUCH in like the last two weeks. He’s sleeping through the night, started solids, can sit up, and cruise around in his walker…he just got so advanced so quickly and it’s blowing my mind a little. He also learned how to scrunch up his nose and make angry huffing noises, which is hilarious.

Could you post yours or a similar walker? We have a standup harness play station deal, but I’m hesitant to stick her in that for more than 30 min or so. Something she could cruise around in sounds adorable.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

life is killing me posted:

Our 3mo old has been losing her poo poo all evening and won’t even breastfeed…a little young to be teething, right? It’s all we can figure other than witching hour, our son had a witching hour almost every night for a month but we haven’t experienced one with the baby yet so idk. We just got her down for the night and hoooo boy was that an ordeal. We did give her some Tylenol and not sure if it was that which helped get her to sleep or if she was gonna sleep eventually anyway and finally succumbed after a long battle.

The 4 month regression is actually or can actually be a 3 or 3.5 month regression. It might not also be a real thing, but our ped said around that time is when they start changing sleeping patterns so :shrug:

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

5 year old niece stepped into a Yellowjacket nest in a neighbors yard while I was chilling with my 7 month old across the street. It sounded like she was being murdered. Her mom had to run into the swarm and then strip her naked in the driveway to make sure all the wasps were out of their clothing, hair shoes etc. Niece 1 and mom had about 20 stings each, niece 2 and her father had 2 or 3, and nephew got one on his chin. Thank god no one was allergic, and that I didnt bring my daughter over there for the garden walk. A Benadryl, baking soda bath and a bombpop later and niece 1 was mostly back to fine, minus talking about how much she hates bees now :(

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

We have a system that came with a base for a car, a stroller and a car seat that snaps into both the base and a stroller. It’s super handy, and I’m sure there are other advantages to having separate pieces, but going from car to stroller and back is pretty incredible.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

We interviewed with an in home daycare lady, who has a max roster of 8, and only 2 (3 with ours) currently. We think we way prefer this as opposed to a chain daycare operation. In our area, none of the chain/bigger organizations mandated staff to be vaccinated or mandated children be up to date with theirs (requiring a waiver from the county if they opt out), and this woman wears a mask all day in her home, and lamented at the broken nature of our society with us.

She’s been providing this service for 50 years, and has had the children of children that she has looked after. Talking to her references, she does seem to be a small pillar of the community, which I suppose is reassuring. I guess I don’t know where I’m going with this, except I’m glad we were able to find a tiny bit safer option, whose also in our same neighborhood. Is there an argument for one of the big 30+ childcare centers?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

We did basic whole wheat flour pancakes with yogurt and bananas and eggs in em and it seemed like a good way for my 8 mo old to get her munch on. Could make quite a few and just sit em out for her. French toast the next day also went over well. No syrup, butter or sugar of course.

Then my wife spent an hour boiling beets and marinating chicken, which instantly got the tongue out ‘no thanks’ :

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

This is not an encouraging page of posts to read as we try to nail down the timing for having our second baby

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Sure as poo poo, 2 weeks into daycare and all three of us have a headcold. We both tested negative on the binax take home test, and nobody has a fever, but man even if it’s not COVID, it shows how easy a virus can spread.

Also, people were lying about the incredible amounts of snot coming from an ittybitty cute nose.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Please shower me in affirmations that my very ambitious 9 month baby is okay after falling flat on her face trying to take her first steps. There was a little bit of blood in the (already) snotty nose and we are both very sad. It also happened right before bedtime so we didn’t have a lot of time to see if she was acting funny/differently.

Everyone says babies are indestructible, and I’m sure there will be tons and tons of falls bumps and scrapes but man…I feel bad.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Even at 9 months, it varies between parents. I worry probably too much about some weird things. Like I’ll check the monitor probably too frequently to check she is still breathing, whereas my wife just isn’t concerned about it. I also get really focused on her rooms temperature, and my wife doesn’t care too much. With the face plant I mentioned a few days ago, once I read about the severity of nosebleeds, and a day passed without her acting funny, i stopped caring, but my wife still thinks we should take her in for a checkup.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

remigious posted:

My 8.5 month old is starting daycare tomorrow. It’s going to be a huge adjustment and I’m going to miss having him around so much. I’m grateful that we got to spend so much time with him and I feel so guilty that he’ll be spending his days around strangers, but the husband and I have to get back to work :( I sincerely hope he makes some baby friends and has fun playing all day.

My 9mo is about a month into her daycare, and she seems to enjoy it. No screaming or fussing at either end of the day, she’s around people her age and up to a year older which seems to be having some developmental pluses. The real secret benefit is getting her on a tight schedule. She’ll come home, stuff her face, show off her standing skills for a while and then sleep though the night.

Once you get a bit of trust and comfort with the caregivers, it’s much less of a mental burden.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Daycare recommended we cut back on the mush and purées and go to finger foods. She can do them no problem, but we are running out of ideas for meal type things appropriate for 9 months and 2.5 teeth.

Some hits:
Plain chicken
Peanut butter and quinoa mix
Fish sticks
Salmon balls
Untoasted bread, no crusts

Misses:
Black beans quinoa mix
Whole wheat pasta
Potatoes
Cottage cheese

We’ve got recipes to fancy up the chicken, and should probably try some beefy things, but man, throwing whatever into a blender was so much easier than this.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

These are all great ideas. I guess I’m more hung up on making it a traditional “meal” focusing on a protein, as opposed to a boatload of fruit and veggies but I guess it doesn’t have to be like that.

^^^ when it’s appropriate, we absolutely do. It’s more for sending off to daycare that’s the issue.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 5, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

We are a few weeks into the pinching phase and holy poo poo this sucks. She specifically loves my neck tendons, which is a lovely thing to have pinched by tiny razor fingers. I’ll be carrying her to another room and she’s watching the world go by, and also just absentmindedly pinching whatever body part of mine is closest to her fingers.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

sharkytm posted:

Any thoughts? Or just baby stuff?

This sounds pretty familiar. Our baby’s natural sleep cycle was right around 30 min, and she wouldn’t sleep on her own without lots of coaxing. I’ve said it before, but when we mentioned her poor sleep to our ped, they reccomended tracking the wake-cycles, and doing lots of that coaxing (dark room, nursing, sound machine, pacifier) when that wake-cycle hit two hours. Between 3-6 months, this really helped everyone involved, and she got super used to sleeping on that cadence. Sleep begets sleep and all that. She would get cranky and restless by 3 hours, and meltdown at 4.

Another thing I kind of lucked into was finding a ‘sleeper hold’ that worked getting her into a nap anywhere: parks, small gatherings, middle of the day. For mine, she sat on my left leg with her right ear and shoulder on my chest, slightly reclined. and i discovered it put her to sleep in 5 min flat because of a 4am frustration induced “gently caress it, I’ll just sit you on my lap like this”. Sitting on my Right leg doesn’t work, similar position standing doesn’t work, but that one position does the trick, so maybe try some different positions out.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

remigious posted:

Got on a waitlist for another place this morning. My mother in law is really pushing me to find someone that runs an in-home daycare but I’m uncomfortable with that for a number of reasons. Would prefer a real school/center with security and certified staff and accountability and all that jazz. I’m not from this area and I don’t know anyone that could even recommend an in-home place and I’m not going to leave my baby with a stranger all day.

at home daycares have to be certified as well. Or at least, I wouldn’t consider leaving my baby at one who isn’t. The way I see it, and I know very little, my kiddo’s experience at her inhome daycare wouldn’t be too much different than at a center (kids, playing, food etc), but we don’t have to deal with administrators or teachers switching up, just the woman telling us the good and bad of the day.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

boquiabierta posted:

What do you DO when the kid just won’t eat what you’re serving, and he’s pre-verbal and can’t tell you what he wants? Just let him go hungry and hope that he learns from it? I’m at my wits end, I really don’t want to get into a pattern of offering him multiple options if he doesn’t like what I’m serving 😫

It’s probably not a great habit and not particularly healthy with the salts and sugars, but put some sauce on it. Pretty much every night our 11mo old will take a few bites and then push stuff around, and then we break out the ketchups, mustards and sour creams. That seems to prime the pump pretty good. I made a cilantro peanut sauce that made her able to eat absolutely anything it went on.

Getting off work at 430, and the baby by 5, with a bedtime of 7pm makes for so little interaction time during the week. It really sucks.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

One of our in-laws has a 5 year old in a STEM-adjacent-whatever montessori school and the curriculum she described makes me really want to put our daughter into something similar. Stuff like sensory learning and abstract physical manipulation math, really clever reading and spelling techniques and the like. Robotics courses. I’m kind of worried about missing the boat on learning in those ways while the development is still happening/able to happen. If I learned math how she’s learning it, I might be better able to conceptualize it. Is this buying into hype?

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Ugh, ours has her 1st birthday in a month, in Michigan where cases are really high and the grandparents are firmly in the COVID’s over camp. Not a great time to raise a baby.

She’s also been markedly more excitable in the past few weeks. Like, loud screams of excitement and babbling, lots of body shakes and zoomie crawls. Occasional biting. Is this a developmental thing? Is she just overwhelmed at getting better at all these new skills? It seems like it came out of nowhere, and nothing sleep or diet wise has changed.

meanolmrcloud fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Dec 2, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

Koivunen posted:

I’ve been giving him blended up pears every day for a week and BREAKING NEWS I’m impressed by the amount of poop that just came out of my baby.

He had one hard turd this morning but still seemed really uncomfortable, so I did a little digital stimulation by taking his temperature rectally, and this dislodged a huuuuge turd plug. That released a geyser of the normal soft-serve style baby poop. Fortunately I had a changing cloth on top of my cute fox changing pad, so I waited until he was emptied out and threw the whole thing in the trash.

He is soooo happy now.

Thanks for reading my novel about my baby’s bowels.

Sometimes when we open a diaper, there’s a whole tableau right there solving the mystery of why baby was so grumpy today. A tiny little plug, and a whole buncha regular poop in a neat little arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

No one ever told us about the 12 month sleep regression. Having a bonafide nightmare one night, and then consecutive nights of random wide-awakeness takes the fun out of her turning one. Also having a birthday around Christmas is lovely for planning, and the psyche.