Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

topenga posted:

I looked for the tried and true seahorse lately and it seems that it is now a giraffe.

Amazon still has it :)

Fisher-Price Soothe & Glow Seahorse, Blue https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00P4CEV5Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Sca7zbPPDZ082

The giraffe is cute too, but I’m attached to that seahorse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Well you sound like a joy to live with.

Fed is best.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Y'all's reaction to that alpha male comment is how I feel when someone talks about how co-sleeping is great.

Co-sleeping saved my sanity & made it possible for me to be a functioning member of society. When I went back to work my son reverse cycled & nursed all night long. He did this until he was a year old & even then would still nurse a couple times at night.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

me your dad posted:

Our twins (3 years) share a room and they're absolutely awful at night. From the moment we leave the room after tucking them in, one of them is out of her bed and running around. They talk, sing, and play for up to 1.5 hours. Their bedroom is right over our living room so there's no blocking it out.

We've tried positive reinforcement, spankings, taking away things, and calm repeated mantras that nighttime is for quiet and sleeping. Nothing works. I'll go in there and yell and as soon as I leave, they're at it again (I've had to do that while writing this post and they're currently going bonkers in there right now).

Does anyone have experience with this or suggestions?

My suggestion is to not hit your kids.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Bardeh posted:

Anyone ever dealt with kids with enlarged adenoids? I've been noticing that my 5 year old son always has dark circles under his eyes, sounds very nasal, and snores like an obese alcoholic. He can also be really grumpy, and will often ask us to repeat things we say. Google is throwing up tons of stuff that's pretty much confirming to me that he has enlarged adenoids. I'm gonna book an appointment with the GP tomorrow, but if he does need them removed it's general anaesthetic surgery and that seems pretty scary :(

Yep, my son had the same symptoms & after waiting for him to grow out of it, we saw an ENT last year. He recommended an adenoid & tonsillectomy. General anesthesia is scary, but they’re under for like 15 minutes, it’s a super quick surgery. Recovery wasn’t too bad, lots of movies & iPad time.

After a week, his snoring was gone. It was amazing. His appetite also greatly improved. He went from being on the very bottom of the weight chart to smack in the middle. Turns out that when you use all your energy to breathe it makes eating not so great.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
No. We took our 5 year old for the first time last night. The fireworks didn’t start until 9:45, he didn’t get into bed until 10:30 & then still woke up at 6:30 this morning.

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
Once you move out of the bucket seat, car seats don’t use separate bases.

If you need a seat in 2 cars & don’t wanna have to constantly move it around you have to buy 2 seats. It blows.

Also, most babies outgrow their bucket seat by height before they hit the weight limit. If she’s over the height limit you need to get a new seat ASAP.

All of the Britax seats are great, the ones with clicktight install are easy to install if you end up going with just one seat. We had the Chicco Nextfit, which was a very easy install with LATCH.

GoreJess fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Aug 11, 2018

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

tangy yet delightful posted:

Thanks for the advice not sure in her length but we'll have her measured soon at the doc and honestly I'll probably order one anyway before that.

https://us.britax.com/tips-advice/outgrowing-a-car-seat/

“Rear-facing in a Britax Infant Car Seat: Your child has outgrown the seat in rear-facing mode if the top of their head is less than 1 inch below the top of the car seat shell when seated OR if the harness straps can’t be positioned in the closest position at or below their shoulders.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink
I’m in SC, my kindergartener’s homework so far is to read/be read to & practice his sight words. There’s nothing that’s being graded or checked on. Some nights we don’t do anything except read at bedtime. Some nights he seems happy to practice writing a couple of words. I’m not pushing it or stressing over it, he’s 5.

They do have some standardized testing that starts this week. It is only used as a baseline for the teachers to see what each kid knows already. It’s done on iPads, so I’m pretty sure the kids won’t even know it’s a test.