Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I set up my future kid's car seat (he's due Feb. but I figured I might as well try it out early).

Unfortunately I couldn't get it to sit at the correct angle in the middle, it was rotated too far forward on the bubble level. At least that's before I tightened it down, the bubble level could be centered after tightening it.

Next best is passenger side rear. Only weird part is that the seat belt for the middle seat has to go behind the car seat, since the seat belt for the middle is anchored between the 2 LATCH mount points. I'm not sure where to put the buckle though. For now I've just gently put it behind the seat so it won't flop around, and it won't be in the way of the back of the seat either. Unfortunately there's a piece on the seat belt that prevents me from just hiding it beneath the cushions. Any idea what to do with it?

Vehicle is a gen-3 prius, carseat is a chicco keyfit 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Thanks! I'm definitely taking it to the local fire department/police, I was just hoping someone else had this particular problem before.

Unfortunately the manuals don't say much. The car manual just shows the middle seatbelt behind the child car seat, but doesn't say how I'm supposed to route it.

I'm just complaining at this point, but I tried again to put it in the middle, but the way the middle seatbelt is laid out it ends up forcing the car seat to straddle the middle and passenger side rear seats, and causes the seat to tilt towards the right since the passenger seat is lower.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So we’ve got our newborn home for about a week now. He was about a month premature so he’s just reaching when his original due date was. We’ve got a baby monitor with video, how often do you all check one of those things when the kid is laid in his crib? I feel like I’m watching it constantly. Should I just peek when he makes lots of noise? Always have it in my peripheral vision?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

IMO one of the big things you can do for yourself is to just realize that you feel anxiety and to not judge yourself for it. It’s painful (because that’s what it’s supposed to feel like), but it’s even more painful when you become self-critical or anxious about that anxiety. Like yeah you’ll probably jump to the worst case scenario, just be mindful of that and don’t beat yourself up.

So yeah you will always feel some anxiety and also you can be there for your daughter, take care of her, spend time with her, and do the best you can do for her. Doing the other half is what makes it feel better.

That and like make sure you eat and sleep well. Anxiety feels way worse when you’re tired and haven’t eaten right. You gotta take care of yourself so you can take care of the family.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Alterian posted:

My almost 5 year old is obsessed with trains. He's been into trains for a very long time. He also likes snakes. I've heard of several toddlers who are into both trains and snakes.

I’m hoping my kid will be into trains. We live a couple blocks from the train tracks, so it should be easy entertainment to go down there and look at trains.

I just hope he doesn’t become too comfortable around then and like goes down there to play or something.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is it a good sign if kids who can’t talk yet have mastered meowing back at the cats

No idea, but don’t google infant cat sounds because all that will come up is some rare disease where they make cat sounds.

I’ve stopped googling stuff because I don’t need that stress in my life too.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

The holding off on tylenol thing may be a thing from vaccinations? I've heard that it's best to not give tylenol to make sure the immune response is the best it can be. I remember that being a thing during the COVID vaccine rollout.

I'm not a doctor/immunologist though that's just what I've heard.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Not sure what your jurisdiction is, but according to US Department of Health and Human Services there's only three states that have statutes regarding a minimum age for leaving a child home alone: Illinois at 14 (?), Maryland at 8, and Oregon at 10. Most other states consider failing to provide adequate supervision as a form of neglect, which is a much softer boundary. Either way, children being home alone for an hour or two after school before parents arrive home from work is a fairly common situation and not "wrong" depending on the maturity of the child.

drat I had no idea that 14 was the statutory age for home alone in Illinois. Looking it up it sounds like it defines it for "an unreasonable amount of time", and presumably it's largely unenforced. But still that seems excessive.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My boy (about 3.5 months) has taken a step back in feeding and it’s super annoying. He keeps on doing this thing where he’ll eat half of his bottle, then get disinterested. We babble together a bit then he starts fussing. Only after he’s had a good cry will he finish the rest of the bottle.

Just two weeks ago he was perfect! Finishing every bottle really quick and then being content until the next feeding.

I’m tempted to try and up the nipple size again. We started him on the Brown’s level 2 pretty early, and they say “6 month+” for the next size.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How long do your infants sleep? Kept a log today because I was curious and our 5 month old slept about 17 hours.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Any recommendations for high chairs?

Like should I get a fixed one, or is a clamp-onto-table one good?

My boy is still a bit young, but it may be good to get him used to it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

This skull helmet chat is useful, we were thinking of one four our boy. For him his head isn't that bad, but his ears are obviously misaligned.

We've been trying to get him to sleep on his other side to shift it back over but not sure if that will really "fix" it entirely at this point.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Emily Spinach posted:

That's just it, you cherish them because they're a blur and then when you start to think about #2 you're like aw, newborns are so precious.

I say that as someone who is three hours removed from pushing out her second.

I expect live posting

Just kidding, good luck and I'm sure you'll do great!

Edit: oh wait I thought you were saying you've got 3 hours left to go. Congratulations!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

hallo spacedog posted:

Yep my parents literally told me to get started on a second one the moment they first met my days old daughter

Wtf is wrong with people

When my wife told her father she was pregnant he immediately asked how many kids we were planning to have.

Since my wife had pretty bad pre-eclampsia and hellp syndrome, not to mention the 3 months of post-partum hypertension the answer is one.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

For me it's creaking floorboards. I walk into my kitchen and I'm always like "poo poo was that him crying?"

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

marchantia posted:

Just wanted to pop in and say we tried potty training a few times but my kid was nearly 4 by the time it finally clicked. Don't beat yourselves up if it isn't happening, it wasn't worth the stress for us to keep pushing when she was younger and she still did potty train in time.

One of the interesting studies highlighted in the crib sheets book was showing how the time it took to potty train generally reduced as kids got older. So yeah my takeaway has been well just try when we feel like he’s ready and be prepared to delay for a bit if it’s just not happening.

IIRC Emily Oster is a bit controversial, so like just take that with a grain of salt.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

How should I be dealing with oatmeal and clothes? I’m worried about bits of oatmeal drying then not coming off in the wash. We went ahead and soaked his first batch after his first feeding but I’d like to hear other’s experience with how best to deal with oatmeal.

In good news he happily ate the oatmeal! Our spoon was plastic and the oatmeal slipped right off, gonna have to get a different material. But he finished his tablespoon of oatmeal mixed with some of his milk.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Renegret posted:

Motrin and Tylenol are loving magic in children

They kind of have been for our baby so far. He gets super cranky for 2 or 3 days after his vaccinations, but a lil squirt of Tylenol and he’s just knocked out and smiling it’s crazy.

Worked really good after his hernia surgery too. He was a complete mess when he first woke up and couldn’t take a bottle for an hour or two. But when we got him home and dosed him a bit of Tylenol he was mostly fine.

We had to stay at the hospital for 12 hours for that surgery. I couldn’t imagine doing an overnight with an infant after a surgery. We had a tiny room with a tiny window that was, and I am not exaggerating, 4 inches wide at most complete with a tiny curtain on it. Felt like I was in prison.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Ok we’re starting our boy out with some oatmeal, which he seems to love!

When I put a spoon up to his mouth he kind of sucks it in a little bit, is that what they’re supposed to do? I also try to just put the whole spoon in and angle it so his lip pulls it off the e spoon.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Wife cut our daughter's hair just after 2 because too much crap was getting caught in it and brushing it out was becoming a painful chore

I found out a lot of cultures shave their kid's head shortly after birth, especially those whose kids are born with a full head of hair. My guess is that it helps clean up any birth goop that doesn't wash out easy, probably helps minimize cradle cap, etc; but the myth is that without getting your head shaved your hair will be thin and sparse, or something

I thought the birth goop was good for the kid.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

CherryCola posted:

Also we’re making an apple pie and it’s fun explaining the process of making ingredients become another thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkHCO8f2TWs

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I’m a stay at home dad and do about 3/4 of the care for my 6 month old son. This afternoon I came back from the grocery and my son was just inconsolable with my wife and wouldn’t eat his bottle, but got immediately better once I picked him up, which predictably made my wife feel like poo poo.

I think she’ll talk it over with her therapist on Friday, but it’s just kind of a sad situation. IDK if he actually is more used to me or not, but I don’t want her to feel like a bad mom even if he is.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So speaking of diaper pails, anybody know where I can just get generic bag rolls from? The refills are expensive and I feel like surely someone out there just sells bags of different diameter and I can just swap in whatever.

I may try some baking soda or something, the diaper smell is starting to breach the containment vessel.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anybody else use the Aldi diapers? Our boy is in the size 2's and I haven't been able to find any in stock in more than a week. They always have the newborns and the size 1's, then some boxes of the size 3's but the size 2 is always sold out!

We're in the Chicago area if anyone else is around there.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Solution: just never be around the kid, then no barf!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

HFM stands for Have Fun Man (or Mom), right?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

So with sleep, for adults it's recommended that the bedroom is a sleep (and other private activities) only zone.

Does that go for kids as well?

I was wondering about this a while back. We tend to keep our boy out of his room entirely until he's sleeping, but that's mostly just because he has a tiny room. His room is for him sleeping, or changing him. Should we keep that up as he gets older, and maybe we'll just start keeping his toys and books outside?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Renegret posted:

They get invited as guests and most of them go because they want to.

It's an emotional job. You fall in love with those kids then have them taken away from you at the end of the year. Many teachers are very happy to be able to see their babies again.

I was thinking about this recently, it's got to be tough on the nannies. There were a couple nannies with a baby at the library's baby story time. If you're taking care of the kid solo durning the daytime and taking them to the library or whatever other enrichment activities it's got to be super hard when they get old enough to "graduate" or if the family terminates your employment.

One of the nannies was talking to the other nanny about how she used to take her previous kid to the library playtimes/story times so I'm assuming some families probably stop the arrangement once the kid is older and in school or something.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

DaveSauce posted:

Bathing every day as a ritual is OK I guess, but absolutely positively unnecessary as a matter of hygiene.

Our oldest has had eczema since pretty early on, so we learned pretty quick that we had to limit baths or else her skin would be a nightmare.

I swear our dermatologist (for our baby’s hemangioma) said we should bathe him every day because some of his skin looked like it might have eczema. That sounded very weird to me at the time and we’ve just been rolling with weekly-ish baths.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MistressMeeps posted:

The only luck we've had for weaning bottles was with the munchkin 360 cups. Our daughter snubbed probably a half dozen different trainer cups (straw and sippy varieties) until we got that one around 14 months. She's almost 2 now and will drink from just about anything...

Our local grocery store carried these so I picked them up. Our 9 month old seems like he can actually drink out of it which I'm kind of amazed by. He can't do continuous feedings, he gets a big gulp and has to pull away to swallow, but that will probably improve with practice.

As a bonus they seem easy to clean, at least easier than the Dr. Browns bottles that we use (the stem pieces add a little bit of complication). Plus no straw because I do not trust straws at this stage.

They just kinda suck on the rim of the cup and a bit of liquid comes out. It's silicone and plastic.

Edit: I'm 50/50 whether he's intentionally drinking from it, or if he's just getting some liquid because he's chewing and sucking while he's teething. But he picks things up pretty quick, I'm sure after a couple tries he'll get the hang of it.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My boy is only 9 months so we won’t be trick or treating, but we may try and swing by our neighbors’ houses and at least introduce the little fella. He’ll be dressed like yoda because we got a hand-me-down costume.

One of the neighbors (probably) called the lawn enforcers on us so I want to at least try to be social so they’ll be less likely to do it again.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Renegret traces 3+3+2=9 idly on the counter.

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Little Buddy.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Heck yeah that sounds awesome. My boy was a big smiler too, he'd just smile at everything. He'd do it when I tapped him on the nose, I called it his "smile button".

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

jabby posted:

3 year old has what is obviously gastroenteritis, but my stupid doctor brain won't stop screaming about appendicitis or meningitis or sepsis and whenever she gets more stomach cramps and screams/throws up I practically have a panic attack.

She's fine, this was all 12+ hours ago but gently caress me this sucks. Starting to think I actually have legit mental trauma from my job. I got virtually no sleep last night and I can't sleep now because I'm terrified she's going to wake up screaming again.

Ouch that’s got to be hard. I have anxiety issues but am not a doctor and I still have lots of troubles with health stuff.

Like recently our son had a fever for a couple days (could have been a cold I brought back) and my mind goes straight to “what if it’s rsv and he gets a cough and he ends up in the hospital? What do I do? What if I end up in the hospital?” etc etc.

It’s certainly my experience that my job (before I became a stay at home dad) informed my anxiety a lot. Like I was a scientist so the catastrophizing and nonlinear thinking was actually legitimately helpful to me. But when you have a baby then it becomes very not helpful lmao.

Are you talking to a therapist? Definitely a good thing to talk about. And if whatever skill/approach you’re using isn’t right to manage your anxiety/behaviors then there’s plenty of other approaches you can try these days.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Olanphonia posted:

T minus 2 hours till we have our second kid. I can already feel the sleep deprivation coming

Congrats!

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

space uncle posted:

We just got the Nuchal Translucency NT exam done today at 12 weeks and passed. Sub chorionic bleed has also cleared up so we can resume exercise + bedroom exercise, which is exciting.

We knew it was a boy from the NIPT but now have a nice ultrasound image of a very small weiner. My first time seeing an ultrasound of it as last time we kept the sex as a surprise.

Standard caveat that I don’t care about baby’s gender, just want happy/healthy, yada yada, but I was a little sad the result was 2nd boy instead of a girl. It was fun briefly looking at girl names and imagining a little girl who looked like me and my wife, and wondering about her thoughts on princesses and patriarchy. Just a small amount of grief over “losing” a person who never existed except for in my imagination.

Yeah don't judge yourself too much about the feelings you have with respect to that. I definitely went through that when I found out we were having a boy (well I have some baggage about it but that's neither here nor there). Just having those thoughts doesn't mean anything about you as a person, it's the love that you show your children that is the only thing that matters. I felt disappointment for a while but I can't imagine having anyone else than my lovely little boy, he's so sweet. Having those thoughts can definitely make you feel bad, judging yourself for that just makes you feel worse imo.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

We live a few blocks from the commuter/freight railway here, so I'm hoping my son will have some interest in trains. We can just go down and watch the trains go by.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Alright so our boy is about 10 months and has 2 bottom teeth so far (weirdly one central one and one lateral one). We got him a toothbrush to get him used to brushing.

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) it’s his favorite toy ever, so once we stick it in his mouth he’s got a death grip on it and we can’t actually try and brush the teeth.

Do I just let him play with it? Actually brushing would take lots of forcing and tears.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

nachos posted:

At one point we had a 3 month old who refused to latch her whole life and then developed a bottle feeding aversion of some sort. Like clockwork she’d refuse the rest of the bottle after around 20-30ml and we had to keep offering over the course of her entire wake time before starting all over after the next nap.

I don’t even remember what resolved it, I think maybe it was upping the nipple size 1-2 times on the bottle so she theoretically didn’t have to work so hard. We also tried a couple different bottles.

Yeah our boy seemed to always do better with the bigger nipples too. We used the Dr. Brown's bottles since that's what the used in the nicu. I think we had him on the size 2 nipple (3+ months according to dr brown's) at like a month adjusted age or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

If you're cleaning the dr browns stem pieces you should get something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Munchkin-Bottle-Cleaning-Brush-Piece/dp/B077H46GGB/

Makes cleaning it up way easier.

We finally ditched the stem pieces so we just use the dr browns bottles as regular bottles now. The boy doesn't seem to mind so much.