Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure that I put any stock in the waking up in the same place they went to sleep thing, but I do believe that their security comes from knowing that you will always be there for them. And from the security comes confidence. The only time our youngest gets needy is when she's sick.

We held her (16 months old now) a ton when she was an infant/baby, even more so than our first (probably due to some things that went on when she was born) and for the longest time, she would only go to sleep for the night while we gave her her last bottle. Once we eliminated the bottle we stressed about how to get her to sleep at night, but after two days off the bottle she suddenly walked up to me one night and said "night night" and I picked her up and carried her to bed. And since then, night time has been just that easy. She will occasionally wake up in the middle of the night, but we've learned that if we just pick her up and hold for a second to reassure her, she quickly calms down and almost immediately wants back in the crib to go back to sleep.

So while I don't subscribe to the full on attachment parenting, I am pretty adamant about holding the baby as much as it wants to be held. I've also come to believe that if the baby is crying, it's crying for a reason, and it's just a matter of figuring out why. Ignoring it won't fix whatever is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hookerbot 5000 posted:

No it's not a theory that I've put much thought into, I just wonder a lot what goes on in babies heads.

Sorry if it sounded like I was directing that at you, it really wasn't. I read an article a few months back that explained you positively can't let your baby fall asleep in your arms because when they wake up in their crib they'll be confused as poo poo, so instead of going back to sleep they will cry. Which I guess was your point, but I was speaking to the theory that's out there, and not you.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The biggest problem we had with teething at that age was all the drool. We kept a stack of plastic backed bibs around and changed them regularly to keep her comfortable.