Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Thread title continues to be accurate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Slaan posted:

Baby just discovered today that I have chest hair. I'm not sure what's more painful, the far too strong to be a baby pulling or the billion tiny cuts from razor sharp baby nails

Ours is now 10 weeks old and my wife is teaching her to grab my beard

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
On multilingual kids, I recently came across this article which basically argues that learning extra languages also helps children in their general language skills development, which then helps them learn their area's native language. It also argues against strict separation of languages:

quote:

To prevent language mixing, parents have long been advised to use the strategy: one person, one language (OPOL). In a German-Kenyan family, for example, the mother might only speak German with the children, the father Swahili, and the parents speak English together. But today, language researchers don’t recommend such a strict separation. There is little evidence that it is beneficial for learning a language. And too strict a separation is even undesirable: the children either don’t know the words to talk about school at home, or have difficulty telling their mother about an outing with their father. “Multilingualism doesn’t mean that it’s chaos inside the children’s heads. They can separate their language systems from a very young age, and they know very well with whom they can speak which language,” explains Blom, who recently received a VICI grant for his research into language mixing. And it isn’t necessarily a problem if children do mix languages. “Sometimes children mix languages to fill gaps in one language with words from another. But it could also be a sign of creativity or a large vocabulary. Language mixing may be correlated with weak language skills, but it can also be an indication of a child’s power of expression.”

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

nesbit37 posted:

She did eventually poop of course, and it was huge, and then she was fine.

Same for our now-9 month old, after not pooping for 4+ days. Mashed prunes work wonders!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
11mo kiddo has covid and it sucks :(

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

lobster shirt posted:

my mother in law has been staying with us and helping out with the newborn since late november, she just left. its going to be so much harder now lol

Mine is now here looking after our 1-year old a few days a week now that my wife has gone back to work, I'm very grateful. By May we hope to have a place in the local daycare (he said naively).

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

harperdc posted:

9-month-old now has a whacked-out sleep schedule, wakes up after 5 hours sleeping overnight, and won’t go back to bed in her crib. I’ve had the baby gently snoring in the baby carrier for almost two hours, but try and put her back to bed, and it’s a siren scream immediately.

This truly is hell.

We went through something like that with our now-13 month old. Especially when we all had Covid (around 10 months) she slept on us a bunch (well, mostly my wife as I am, and I quote, "bony"). But even after she always wanted to sleep on us when she woke up in the night and would wake up when we tried to put her back in bed unless she was deeply asleep. Eventually we just left her in her bed crying until she eventually fell asleep an hour later. The next night it went much quicker and she started sleeping through the night (8pm to 7am give or take).

SixFigureSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jan 18, 2023

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shifty Pony posted:

What's the strangest toddler food combo you've encountered?

Alternating her kiwi with her chicken/pasta with bechamel sauce.

For 'we'll never get that off the wall', I see the applesauce/yoghurt combo and raise with split pea soup.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

space uncle posted:

My toddler turned his stew and pepper and bread into a “truck” today. This was simply a mushy pile of food pushed across the table. I thought he was building his own Italian beef type sandwich but no. After he gave up and tossed it all to the ground he was rewarded with a Rice Krispie treat for dessert. That was deemed “a bus” and pushed around happily beeping in stew juices. He did eat most of that before inevitable hurling it a wall or floor.

I was going to ask the thread for suggestions in stopping my 13m old from throwing food on the floor but I'm increasingly sure it's an impossibility

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Has anyone else pretended to be sound asleep to get out of your turn for overnight feeding/changes?

I....used to. My kids are older now, bit this thread made me think of that

I think it's practically an instinct when you have a newborn and you're sleep deprived. Always better to talk to your partner and take turns or something though

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dismas posted:

Why won’t my kid poop gdi

Give it a day or two and then you'll be asking yourself how you can make it stop. But anyway give them some mashed prunes or something.

e: poopsnipe

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

carrionman posted:

Yeah, the current thinking is that maybe something from my wife's diet is coming through and upsetting her stomach. So we're cutting different foods out to see.
We've spoke to our pediatrician, and it seems to be that they're thinking it's not directly a sleep issue, as she sleeps like a champ during the day.
As evidence, when my wife was sick for a day and didn't eat anything other than toast and water we got a 3hr sleep form the little girl.
It's just a slow process. And I'm so tired

It's worth a try but from what I understand it takes a long time for allergens to properly leave your wife's body/breast milk. As in it takes weeks, so one day of only eating water/bread shouldn't have made a difference given a normal diet. It may be different if your wife scarfs down a bunch of hot peppers every day but I'm guessing she doesn't.

(we looked into this when our baby (at 4-6 months or so) would occasionally be crying with pain randomly during the day, this stopped by itself after a while and was probably her developing digestive system acting up a bit)

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Glad she's feeling better :unsmith: last week ours threw up all her food during the night but as she didn't cry we didn't realise until morning.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
"What did mama do in the bathroom?"
"Poopoo!"

I taught her well

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Mind_Taker posted:

Tomatoes were “tameys”

Avocados were “cados”

Bananas were “bow-nanas”

Apple is apple

Pear is apple

Lemon is apple

Tomato is apple

E: applesnipe

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I have this problem also. There was ONE picture in a book of a wolf in a window and now wolves in windows are an existential threat constantly looming over this house

What about the chupacabras?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Apple is apple

Pear is apple

Lemon is apple

Tomato is apple

Update: watermelon is also apple

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Sure, "the baby"

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Eeyo posted:

How long do your infants sleep? Kept a log today because I was curious and our 5 month old slept about 17 hours.

Our 17-month old has consistently slept like 2 hours less than our guidebook says. She sleeps well at night, 7:30 to 7 usually. During the day she often only has a single 1-hour nap, or sometimes two 40-minute naps depending.

She has never slept more than 1,5 hours during any nap, no idea why. At least in the evening she goes to sleep quickly and without any fusss and sleeps through the night.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Crazyweasel posted:

Welp, wife is a week overdue so today we head in to begin prep for induction, with planned induction tomorrow!

Good luck! Our little one did not want to come out despite increasingly powerful attempts to induce labour so in the end it had to be a caesarian instead. Born at 42+1 technically!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I feel like 4months is too early to sleep through the night as they'll need food. Maybe worth waking him at some point to put him on the breast? Could try doing a dreamfeed even.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

sharkytm posted:

Wrapped in an enigma, and smothered in special sauce.

The special sauce is poop, ofcourse

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hallo spacedog posted:

Just left my kid off for 1 hr to visit the daycare she is starting 2x a week next week. Full of some crazy feelings right now. Hope they're ready for her honestly

Good luck! It took ours about a month to stop crying when we dropped her off and picked her up, also going twice a week. But she was always fine right after we left and had plenty of fun there. It's been nearly two months now and I'm on my...third cold I think.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ehud posted:

That was a great phase for us too. I loved 12-24 months.

Now my kid is 27 months and she has decided my wife and I aren't allowed to talk to each other.

Me: Quick question for you.

Kid: Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wife: What's up?

Kid: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Me: I know it's hard to wait your turn, but I'm talking to mommy. Can you play with [toy] while I talk to mommy?

Kid: ......yeah

Me: I was wonderi-

Kid: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This is us but at 18/19 months. Little one also doesn't let me stroke my wife when we all sit close together, I'd stroke her arm a bit and our daughter will toddle over and bat my hand away :allears:

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Toddler eats cereal, which have circle shapes. She gives me the ones that are broken, which are obviously not fit for human consumption.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

whiskas posted:

Parents without pets: am I alone in saying that a small fraction of my diet includes food that has been on the floor and/or spat out of baby's mouth?

That and food baby didn't eat or is now too old to feed baby, yes

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

GoutPatrol posted:

Oh God first day of daycare is tomorrow and I'm freaking out

Enjoy your colds, its been two months for us and I've almost stopped coughing

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

hallo spacedog posted:

How to stop a very determined to climb everything child? Please send help

Friends of mine solved this by putting their bookcases in one corner of their living room and then blocking that whole area off with couches

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
The little one managed to count to three today :3:

this is an improvement from when she was counting her fingers a few weeks ago going "one" "one" "one" etc

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Goffer posted:

I wish my baby cried herself to sleep instead of just continually crying with increasing enthusiasm

They eventually go to sleep but it is heartbreaking getting to that point

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I have never been more grateful to whoever invented paracetamol

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I have never been more grateful to whoever invented paracetamol

update: also antibiotics. The NHS is really good folks

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I didn't have any homework in primary school at all, it ruled

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

C-Euro posted:

I'm thinking about upgrading my dude (just shy of 18 months) from his infant car seat to something forward-facing, but while he's just about at the recommended height limit for the seat he has a ways to go for the weight limit, and he still seems comfortable in the seat. Maybe something to research at this point, but not actually buy until he's struggling to fit?

Rear facing is recommended for quite a few years longer, as the previous poster already mentioned. Also keep in mind it may take some weeks for your new car seat to be delivered (keep in mind you may also need a new base). For us it took a month - we just upgraded our 20m old to the BeSafe iZi Modular RF X1 which we're happy with.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Kiddo is more interested in climbing up the slide than going down it

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Skeezy posted:

Son is now 11mo and at this stage where I guess he's more aware of his surroundings now and because of that he's aware when there's no one in the room. Can't leave him in the play pen to go to the bathroom or something because he'll just lose his poo poo.

Yeah this is a stage they have to go through. At some point I noticed that our daughter wouldn't cry anymore when I briefly left her room to dump her nappy in the bin. Around 18 months maybe?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
We bathe our daughter twice a week. She does have eczema from my poor genes but we managed to see a dermatologist again recently. The eczema presented as pink-brownish spots that is actually a bacterial infection, and scratching there, then somewhere else actually transfers the bacteria via the nails to other places on the body. He prescribed an expensive cream which includes steroids and an antibiotic and that is starting to do the trick.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
22mo old learned a new word.

Her: pita! (pizza)
Me: we don't have any pizza
Her: buy!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

El Mero Mero posted:

Yeah. The other day my so found 5 empty tuppers in the fridge, where I had put them rather than the cupboard.

I do this even when not sleep deprived tbh. Earlier today I had a fork in one hand, opened the drawer to get a knife and picked up another fork instead.

Also is anyone here keeping their toddler home from daycare when your new babies are born? We are leaning towards doing this to keep all the diseases away from newborn babby for at least a few weeks. I'd be interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Koivunen posted:

Good morning parents! What time were you woken up this morning? I’ll start!

4:35am

7:15 and she always sleeps through the night :smugdog:

(Knocking on wood VERY HARD as I type this)