Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Chicken McNobody,

Here's my advice to you.

Definitely get him talking with someone professional, he does probably suffer from some form of depression. I'm not a Doctor or anything, but something is obviously off with the husband

Secondly, try to get hubs to find a mommy's day out, or part time baby sitter or something if you can afford it. He needs time to himself alone. All primary/full time caregivers need time to themselves regardless if it's mommy or daddy. Having a kid isn't easy, everyone that has kids knows that, but being a full time caregiver with no breaks is very hard on a person. In my household I have a pretty flexible job. I can duck out for a few hours to run the kids to a Dr. Appt, or show up 20 minutes late and it's no big deal. Most days I take the kids to daycare, and pick them up. My wife works every other Saturday, so I spend all day Saturday alone with the kids as well. Saturdays can be complete hell. I love my kids, but if I'm not at work I'm 24/7 with them. On the weeks my wife works a Saturday she gets a day off during the week. She gets a day to herself with the kids at daycare to decompress. She goes out to lunch with her friends, and goes shopping without dragging a kid around with her. I'm very jealous of it. I have to burn a PTO day if I just want to be by myself for more than 20 minutes. I can't even take a poo poo in my house without my 2 1/2 year old coming in and going "Daddy make a Poop Poop?". It seriously makes me want to scream sometimes. After a rough Saturday of watching both kids for 10 hours by myself I just want to hand them to my wife and walk out the door for half an hour. I don't because I recognize she's had a hard day at work too, but its so completely frustrating it can cause issues in the relationship. I also am loathe to leave her alone with both kids because I know what I go through and don't want to do that to her. Just getting the guy a 3 hour break a couple times a week might make things better. Sometimes local churches or daycares have a Mommy's Afternoon Out or something where the kid can go for a few hours while the parent runs an errand or something.

Third, I realize this is outdated, archaic, misogynistic, or whatever, but a man's sense of self worth often can be tied to his being able to feel like a provider for his family. He may be having some internal struggles/issues with you being the breadwinner and provider. He may not have a sense of self worth, or accomplishment that men sometimes need to have. Looping back to the therapy mentioned previously might help with this. Getting him to work will probably help a lot as well. Yes, I know it's outdated, and archaic and doesn't fit in with the new societal roles, but it doesn't stop it from being true.

Last bit of advice. Communicate. Effective communication is the absolute key to any successful relationship. Don't accuse, or fight, or raise your voice, just express how you feel and talk things out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Just do what you and your pediatrician think is best for the baby and leave it at that. My sister and I disagree with my mom all the time about raising kids. She raised us in the early 80's and things were different back then. We just laugh at her and call her an old lady and tell her to do things our way. We have an easygoing relationship with her though, no stress.

Every kid is different, every parent is different. Find what works for you. I know I raise my kids differently than my sister. Doesn't mean she's wrong, or I'm wrong. We're just doing what works best for us. Parenting is hard enough without outside pressure from other people giving 'advice'.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Gimbal_Machine posted:

Thanks to you, goons. It turns out my son had an ear infection. Hopefully this antibiotic syrup does the trick.

I play it pretty safe with my kids, but I always get them checked out at the first sign of being sick. My kids have had chronic ear infections, both have ear tubes, and both at points have needed breathing treatments to help get over various upper respiratory issues. It's always better to get them checked out and catch it first than it is to wait.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My wife had really bad anxiety about SIDS when both my children were younger. We bought an AngelCare monitor and it really helped alleviate some of the anxiety and let her sleep through the night.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What's she doing when she wakes up at night? How long do you wait before you go get her? On the rare occasion one of our kids would wake up in the middle of the night we would always give them a least a few minutes to settle back down before we went in there.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Her pediatrician should be able to help her with some kind of literature recommendation for how to deal with this.

One idea off the top of my head, flip the car seat back around rear facing. Throw toys all you want at the back of the seat. Kids don't have to be forward facing at that age (not to start the car seat war).

Does the child get any kind of exercise? It's hard to be a little badass when you just ran non stop at the park for an hour and are exhausted. The hitting and pinching are usually picked up somewhere. Usually daycare from another kid.

edit: slo-tek has great advice. Remove things from the situation. I forgot to even mention it but it works really well on my kids. You throw the 60 dollar dancing Mickey Mouse granny gave you on the floor? Well it gets put away in the closet, you can have it back tomorrow. When I give it back, I tell them "Remember, don't throw or else it goes away again".

My almost 3 year old is pushing every button I have these days... it doesn't get better as they get older.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 18, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skeetied posted:

Has anyone dealt with chronic ear infections? If so, did you opt for ear tubes? My almost one year old is on his sixth ear infection since Thanksgiving and we're exploring our options.

Tubes are a godsend. My 1 year old is on his first set, my 3 year old needed 2 sets before her eustachian tubes had normal function.

Just from a quality of life perspective for you kid, 6 ear infections in less than 3 months... poor thing must be miserable. Ear infections are very painful. My daughter would scream in pain for hours before her tubes were put in. We had my sons put in after 3 ear infections in 2 months with the family history of ear problems.

I would highly suggest talking to an ENT pronto and getting the tubes put in.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

All babies are different, but any time you notice a change in your routine something could be wrong. My kids have terrible problems with their ears, if this happened to my kids I'd be in for a checkup so the doc can rule out an ear infection. We always tried to catch them as early as possible. Over the last 3 years we've pretty much linked any kind of change in behavior or normal pattern as some kind of physical illness.

edit: I'm a pretty protective papa bear over my kids, and I'm fortunate enough to have great health coverage and a flexible job, so I tend to jump the gun on going to the pediatrician with things like this.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 28, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

frenchnewwave posted:

Hi, new mommy here. My daughter is almost 3 months old now. My husband and I love to travel and are wondering when we might be able to (enjoyably) travel with our newest addition. Is it crazy to think about European or UK travel (we're from the States) with her when she's about 18 months? We originally thought it might be a good age - she would have more of a schedule, we would be more confident as parents. Of course we would plan a more relaxed trip and not pack our days full like when we travel alone. But then we just went to a party where someone brought their 18 month old and he was a terror. Thoughts from other parents?

BWAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA Enjoyably travel with your kid? Probably never. I would cut off a finger before I even considered transatlantic flight with my kids. We do a lot of road trips to visit family. 7 trips a year probably. 5 of them are about 500 miles each way, the other 2 are about 900 miles each way. We have to stop every 90 to 120 minutes adding hours to the trips, the car has more entertainment in it than a cineplex to try to keep them occupied. Not to mention packing 3 to 5 nights worth of crap for a pair of toddlers. They have more luggage than Paris Hilton. I look forward to going back to work after family vacation so I can relax for 8 hours and be around other adults.

I have a 3 year old and a 14 month old...I wouldn't even think about this until maybe 6 or 7.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If the car seat isn't user friendly maybe they can look into getting an easier to use car seat?
My 3 year old sits in a Britax Frontier 85 and it's really easy to get her in and out of. If the kid is big enough, maybe have them look at something like that. An airbag deployment will kill a 2 year old kid. I'm zero tolerance when it comes to the use of car seats, I have a park in my neighborhood, never even leave the housing development, but my kids get buckled in properly every. single. time.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

systran posted:

For those of you who have been parents for a while now, what do you feel is the biggest error you have made in your parenting career? It seems somewhat that parenting is mostly something that you just go with and that you can't really look back and critique, but what advice would you give to future parents based off an egregious error that you may have made? Is there anything you really wish you could just go back and do completely differently?

I would give parents the following advice, because there are too many loving nutcase crazy rear end parents out there:

There's no such thing as a perfect parent. Just do your best and love your kids, if they get a non organic processed cheeseball one day it's not going to kill them. Stop comparing yourself to supermommies and daddies on the internet who are most of the time so full of poo poo their eyes are brown. Kids are resilient, the human race has come this far. Let them get dirty and play in the mud, let them eat some crap food once in a while, TV won't kill them. Relax a little and enjoy your time with your kids, and don't be too hard on yourself.

Oh, and stop comparing your kid to every other kid. They all develop at their own pace, who cares if Susie's daughter is walking at 7 months and your kid didn't walk until 13 months, that poo poo doesn't matter. By the time they're 5 it all evens out anyway. Don't ignore an obvious developmental issue, early intervention is key with those, but don't put some crazy pressure on a 2 year old to know certain things.

No Butt Stuff posted:

My wife mentioned that bottle. I think we'll give that a shot, maybe make one tonight.

So did you not really start solids at all until 15 months? My wife wants to start giving our 8 month old the little yogurt ball snacks that are supposed to melt in their mouth, but I'm still worried about a choking hazard. And for feeding herself her baby food, I'm guessing I'm going to just have to give her the spoon, sit there, and get messy for a few weeks while she figures it out.

Little kids will figure it out, just watch them with solids the first few weeks. They might choke a few times, but they'll get it after a couple tries. Don't freak out and just keep a close watch. My youngest choked his first time eating a cheerio, but he got it after a few tries. They have to learn, and learning when it's ok to swallow is part of that.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

My one-year-old threw up once on Friday morning, once on Friday late night (all over me), and once on Saturday night. He had diarrhea once yesterday, once today. Other than those symptoms he's perfectly normal - he had regular poops, he's acting happy, no fever, he's eating (BRAT diet obvi), talking etc. Anyway my wife thinks it's a brain tumor, how can I convince her it's nothing?

Rotovirus is making the rounds where I am. Both kids have had it in the last week and my wife has it bad right now. I'm hoping to escape it. In my experience it takes 24-48 hours of puking and another 48 to 72 of diarrhea for it to run its course.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ashcans posted:

To return to the traveling question, I'd like some advice too. We're going to see my parents in August, and our son will be ~27 months at the time of the trip. The problem is that our itinerary is a grueling 25 hours of planes and transfers. He has taken plane rides before, and we got through a trip to the UK last year, but this is going to be really taxing.

To try and get through it we will be waiving our screen-time rules, and we're trying to put together a bunch of things to try and keep him entertained on the trip; basically a series of different activities that might hold his attention for 15-20 minutes at a time, and just rotating through those. That worked ok last year, although obviously we need a new set of stuff now. Does anyone have recommendations for plane-friendly activities for a 2yr old that pack small and don't break carry-on rules? Or other advice on how we can all survive this?

There's no answer for 25 hours of travel with a 2 year old. I wouldn't do it, have your parents come visit you instead. We take a lot of trips and we load up the iPad with a bunch of movies she likes and she stays pretty occupied on that between her apps and movies. Coloring and Sticker books work for a while as well. Mostly just movies though. I ripped a bunch of Sesame Street DVD's and Disney movies to her iPad and they keep her entertained. Little Einstein compilation DVD's are a big hit as well.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Never was a fan of them for a few reasons. Luckily my swing came with a power cord, and I bought a 6V power supply off amazon and hardwired my baby bouncer to the wall. No more batteries. Cost 9 bucks plus some spare wire I had laying around and I had the tools already.

Spend the money and get good C cell rechargeable batteries like the Tenergy 5000 mAh ones off Amazon and get a really good charger as well that can handle those kinds of batteries. The cheap C cells are nothing but AA batteries in a C cell. Expect to spend 70 bucks on 8 C cells and a decent charger.

You could also find a place to buy the Alkalines cheaper. Monoprice just started selling batteries and they're selling a 2 pack for 98 cents

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Dandy Shrew posted:

My husbands aunt is passive aggressively posting all these loving anti-vaccine articles on facebook, presumably directed at her son, whose wife just had a baby, and myself. Lots of "YOUNG PARENTS SHOULD TREAD CAREFULLY THERE ARE OTHER WAYS TO PREVENT MMR" and the like. This is generally avoidable, because facebook, but I have to go to a party next month to meet some uncle who is visiting from the states, and I don't know how to gracefully duck out of those conversations because she is really really vocal about not vaccinating and using homeopathy. Honestly, I don't want to go and bring my kid near her, but I don't know how to break the social obligation.

Kids are built in excuses for almost everything. If you really want out of it just say your kid has a virus and out of respect to the rest of the family you'll be staying home. You're terribly sorry to miss the event but it wouldn't be fair if everyone else got sick because of you.

On the other hand, social obligations suck and sometimes you have to put in an appearance and do things you don't want to do to keep the peace in a family. What's your husband think?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

hookerbot 5000 posted:

This is really just a whine, but my 17 year old announced last night that he wants to go to Amsterdam with his friends for his 18th. I don't want him to go to Amsterdam, I barely even cope with him going to Glasgow for the day. I know as a parent I should be supportive and trust him to not do anything stupid, and he's going to be off to college or uni in a year anyway. But the thought of him being more than a car journey away terrifies me, I wish they stayed kids forever.

I can only imagine, I keep telling myself when that day comes you just have to trust you raised them right and they have the faculties to make smart decisions. My daughter is only 3 1/2 and I find myself wondering at what age does parenting stop being effective. Will a 14 year old actual listen to you and take your advice? When does the I'm smarter than everyone else phase start :smith:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

FWIW our pediatrician and dentist are both very anti going to bed with drinks.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

PapFinn posted:

We made some calls this morning to visit 3 daycares around us. It looks like the average is around $200/wk so around $10000/yr.

I think maybe we will reach out to friends to see if there are any good recommendations for in-home care if that is more likely to be flexible as far as pay by day. I worked out a schedule for us and we would need 27 hours over 4 days one week and 24 hours over 4 days the next week on an alternating schedule.

I don't know how it is in your area, but here in Texas there are rules regarding the ratio of caregivers to infants. I think it's 1 caregiver to 4 infants, or 2 to 10. The daycare my kids go to only has 10 baby 'slots' and you pay for the slot since they have to pay for the staff. It doesn't matter if your child is there 60 hours a week or 20, it's the same price since they incur the same cost. I pay full price even when we're on vacation for the entire week because I'm using the slot. Once children are older you can look into part time care, but I would imagine most places will be the same while the child is an infant. 200/wk is about the standard for a for profit daycare facility in a normal cost of living area in my experience.

Alterian posted:

Any good website with tips on transitioning off formula? Jasper will be 11 months soon. I can't wait for him to get off formula. Its costing us an arm and a leg and I recently got laid off. He had his 9 month appointment when he was 10 months (couldn't get a good timed appointment with his ped before then) and his doctor gave us the go ahead to give him any food other than honey. He can drink 50 - 60oz of formula a day (His highest amount one day was 65oz) which is really expensive. He's tall and skinny (25th percentile for weight for his height) and his diapers are normal so the doctor doesn't think he has an absorption problem or anything like that and he just has a fast metabolism . I think the fact he spends all day running around the house doesn't help either.

He's going through a phase right now where he refuses to eat anything he can't stick in his mouth himself. Now that I'm home 100% of the time with him I can focus on getting him to eat more food I guess.

If you have a warehouse club near you (Costco, Sam's Club, etc) check out their formula, you can save quite a bit of money and it's the same stuff as the name brand formula. Increased food intake will also help with the formula usage. 65 oz seems like a ton of formula. My kids didn't take to milk right away, it took quite a while to be honest.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I hit the kiddo jackpot, both of my kids are great sleepers, and both started sleeping though most of the night (6 hours at least, usually 11pm to 5am minimum) by 12 weeks old. In fact they turn into little punks if they don't get their beauty sleep even now.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My kids cared more about the paper and the boxes at that age than the actual toys. We don't really get our kids much for Christmas anymore, we have a pretty large extended family, and they tend to go overboard since we don't live close and they don't see them that often.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheDeviousOne posted:

I am not necessarily considering quitting and staying home with them again, but I still wonder if we've made the right choice.

You can't avoid the sickness thing to be honest. Like others have said, if it doesn't happen now, it'll happen when they start school. It's just a part of growing up and the children building their immune system.

I personally have a very pro-daycare opinion. I'm very lucky and found a great center, and my kids love going there. I take them inside and zooom they are off to play with their friends. I feel the socialization they get there is a big benefit for their development.

Remember though you also have to focus on you. Your career development benefits your children in the long run by giving your family more resources in the future. Personally, I find the time away at work helps recharge me for kiddo time at home.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Volmarias posted:

If you have a DVD writer, it might be worth your while to buy the disk, rip it, then write it on a new disk with the skip protection disabled.

This is what I do. Whenever we buy a DVD I rip and re-author the disc so it only has the movie on it. Sesame Street, Disney, pretty much everyone has 10+ minutes of crap before the main program starts. By ripping/reauthoring the disc I just have to turn the players on and the movie starts. No menu, No ads, just program. The original disc goes on the shelf, the copy goes in the car, it can melt or get scratched and I just make a new one. It sucks buying another copy of something for 15 bucks because it got scratched or something.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

poo poo happens, it's how you respond and learn. My oldest once had 7 staples put in her head to close up a giant gash in her scalp. They're going to trip, fall, get cut, bit by insects, break more bones and all sorts of crap. It's part of living.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

When you sit down and logically list the pros and cons to having kids, on paper it's never makes sense to have kids. They suck up all your time, money, make your hair fall out blah blah blah. But it's rewarding in it's own way.

You have to decide if it's right for you. I don't know if I could start with a newborn at 36+. I'm almost 33 and I'm done. DONE.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TheDeviousOne posted:

Since our kids started daycare/pre-school last August, there has probably been 14 days accumulated time that one or both of them has been healthy. There is ALWAYS a cold at our house. If not a cold, then it's the flu. If it isn't the flu, it's pink-eye, which they have now each had; never before. Also our daughter got pneumonia and our son got bronchitis. My wife also got pneumonia and I got bronchitis. Our kids got sick first and gave it to us, so they obviously got it from someone at their school. We have had, on average, something like 1 visit to the doctor's office per 2 weeks. The week when they had pneumonia/bronchitis (yes, it was the same week), I personally brought one/both of them to urgent care 4 times - my wife brought them 2 more times. This was the worst time and, honestly, we probably should have said, "gently caress IT, we're done with this poo poo, I quit, our kids are sick 100% of the time, this has to stop." For whatever reason, we didn't. I kept working, the kids eventually got healthy (only to get more colds/etc after), and here we are.

You've brought this up before, but I want to reiterate, there is no way around this. If they don't build their immune systems now, it'll happen when they start school. This is what kids do. They get sick. They get better. They build up an immune system. It's not as bad for us adults as we don't go to our co-workers cube and put their pens and staplers and dirty coffee cups in our mouth and catch all their germs, but it's a part of life. We recently had 4 month stretch with neither kid being sick. It was amazing. Then they both got Strep. Oldest got Strep Throat, youngest got Strep rear end. Antibiotics were given, poo poo was literally everywhere, many loads of laundry were done and many baths given. It happens. They get sick, they get better. You can't wrap them in a disinfected bubble for their entire life.

I only bring this up again because to me it seems like you're trying to demonize child care facilities as dirty cesspools of disease and filth. The world is a dirty place. You took your kids out of a very small ecosystem and they became exposed over the last 5 months to an onslaught of new germs. I would expect nothing less than them being sick very often as they work through everything new they're being exposed to.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If your looking for larger stickers like the kids get at the doctors office smilemakers.com has a good selection.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Amazon has a roll of 1000 MLP stickers for like 7 bucks plush shipping. http://www.amazon.com/little-pony-1...ny+1000+sticker

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skeetied posted:

Seconding the "Endless" series... my two year old *loves* those games and they seem a lot more educational/well done than most. He's actually learned a lot about the concept that letters make up words and words make up sentences too.

Endless apps are great, my youngest (2)really likes Tozzle. Great for shapes and pattern matching. Elmo's ABC's and Nick Jr. Draw and Play are also big hits. Both of my kids have their own iPad's and strictly from a learning perspective they're amazing. My kids are big Disney fans as well, my oldest (4) likes the Disney Appisodes which are kind of interactive games based on a Disney Jr. show.

I don't really feel screen time is a big deal in moderation. My kids get a fair amount of time outside playing, and a not unreasonable amount of screen time. Should it be a substitute for parenting? No, but there's no harm in letting the kids watch a movie after their bath before bedtime. Honestly the benefits of educational apps, tv shows, and even youtube videos far outweigh any negatives I can think of.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know it's natural to feel guilty about it, but kids are kids and poo poo happens. I broke my arm twice, and had to get stitches once as a kid from doing dumb kid stuff. I never once thought my parents were bad or inattentive. I was being a kid. My oldest slipped when she was a toddler and cut her scalp open pretty good on a table leg. Took 7 staples to close the wound up and now she has a scar where it happened. Wasn't anyone's fault, just an accident, and accidents happen. We did get rid of that table that weekend though....

You did everything you were supposed to, and kiddo learned a lesson on slamming on your brakes like that leads to a bad outcome. Now he has a cool story to tell the kids at school.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 22, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

me your dad posted:

At what point did you all start waking your toddlers from sleep in the morning? Our girl is 2.5 years old and she sometimes sleeps until 7 a.m. or later. That would be okay if my wife or I didn't work but we both do and we need to get our daughter out of the house by 7:30 each morning.

We typically start the bedtime routine at 7:30, and she's in her bed by 8:00, sometimes a little later now that it's summer.

We've always woken our kids up during the week...figure out how much sleep your kid needs and go from there. My 4 year old is a lunatic in the morning if she doesn't get at least 9, preferably 10 hour of sleep. If your kid is getting 11 hours of sleep that should be enough, just wake her up when you need her to get ready.

jassi007 posted:

Our 2.5 year old will sleep until 7:15-7:30 if we let him, but we have to get him up for the day around 6:30-6:45. It doesn't seem to bother him to much to get up 30 minutes earlier or later.

My kids seem to have inherited my biological rhythm. Left to my own devices I will wake up around 10AM and stay up until 1 or 2 AM. I do my best work around 10PM at night. My kids are similar, they'll both stay up until midnight if we let them, and they'll happily sleep past 10AM on the weekends.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 29, 2014

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

flashy_mcflash posted:

Question for parents, and I know this is going to vary widely as well, but how old were your kids when you took them to their first movie in a theatre? Or maybe a better question is how early were they amenable to sitting through a whole movie either at home or at a theatre?

My kids are 4 and 2 1/2 and I still haven't tried to take them to a movie. We've taken them to live events like the Fresh Beat Band, Sesame Street Live, and several Disney on Ice shows and they do pretty well there. The next big Kids movie we might try... just to see if they can handle it. To be honest though I really don't want to take them to the movies. It'll set me back a minimum of 50 bucks to do so and I've got a killer A/V setup at home. Movies are coming out on Blu-Ray in record time. Hell Frozen was released to Blu-Ray in less than 4 months after it first hit the theater. I pop a big bowl of popcorn with the air popper and get their plush animal chairs out and they're good to go for an entire movie. They have no issues sitting through Frozen, Wreck It Ralph, or any other kids movie. Right now they've been watching the last Shrek film.

The Alamo Drafthouse where I live has special screenings on Tuesdays before 2:05 PM where they keep the lights a little brighter and the sound is turned down a little and babies are allowed in the theater.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Personally I skipped the leapfrogs and kids tablets and just went straight to an iPad in a heavy duty case. We have a ton of iOS devices and it just made sense. I couldn't stomach the 20 dollar leapfrog games either. I've bought some fantastic 7 dollar apps for iOS.

I would skip the leapfrog and get her a kindle or iPad in a heavy duty kid friendly case, but to directly answer your question, I haven't heard of any of my peers with leapfrog tablets having them break, so they seem pretty sturdy.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Alterian posted:

I use to snerk at people that use a harness and leash on their kids, but I've been tempted to get one for my 18 month old for longer outdoor outings. Does anyone use one? Do they still have the stigma of "bad parenting" with them?

My youngest is a 'runner' but I just can't bring myself to consider one of those things. It's easier now he's 29 months and can listen to direction (mostly), but when he was younger and we went somewhere we brought the stroller or the wagon. If we went to the zoo, he sat in the wagon.. needed to go to the mall? Stroller time. A leash on my child... no way. I'm not doing that.

Ultimately do what's best for you and your kid, and don't give a drat what other people think. If it works for you, and you feel the need to do it, go for it. Keeping the kid out of harms way is more important than anything else.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

If you have the means find the best family law lawyer you can and fight for your interests.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Ynglaur posted:

I don't think the caloric content in juice matters a whole lot if a child gets a good amount of exercise. The best part is "exercise" at that age can be running around a park or riding bikes or whatever.

We watch the juice consumption. Apple Juice has more calories per 8oz serving than Pepsi or Coke. We limit it to one, maybe two servings of Juice a day. Exercise is very important though, I was a fat sedentary kid and I'm hellbent on my kids not being the same.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Enjoy the niceness while you can... My two ( 4 and 2 1/2) are at the stage where they just fight like cats and dogs. The typical I can terrorize my brother/sister but no one else can be mean to them stage. To be fair my daughter (4) is super sensitive, and the son (2 1/2) love, love, loves to stir poo poo up with her. 100% instigator.

HE TOUCHED MY TOY <cue 15 minute emotional breakdown>
WHY DOES HE HAVE JUICE AND I HAVE MILK? I WANT JUICE! <crocodile tears>

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I've got the opposite experience... maybe because I'm not into drinking or partying anymore. I like seeing the kids learn and experience new things. They have a blast.

Mine are 4 and 2 1/2, and we go on quite a few trips to see family, and a couple of vacations a year. Usually 1 week long beach trip, and then another long-weekend kind of getaway. The kids are better behaved on trips than at home to be honest. Car rides are non issue with DVD players and iPad's... My wife is a drat professional at packing for trips by now, and the biggest thing is keeping the kids somewhat on their routine... You have to keep naptime in play... you can't skip naptime and then not expect your kid to go nuclear at 7PM when you go out to dinner.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

My oldest was basically potty trained at daycare. She saw all the other kids going to the potty and she wanted to do it to... for months she would be fine at daycare, but wet her pullup or panties at home. We just started constantly asking her if she needed to potty and a few weeks later we were good. She was a little past 3 when she was 99.5% potty trained. (She had this bad habit for a little while of not wanting to stop what she was doing, or waiting too long and having an accident). My son though is about 2.5yrs and has ZERO interest in the potty other than flushing it for other people. We ask him all the time if he wants to sit when he poops and the answer is always no. We need to start working with him soon on it, but I'm not at the point where I'm worried about it tbh.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

momtartin posted:

As far as I know she's actually waking up around the same time. I guess I'll just have to start being more strict and consistent and expecting a later nap time.

Little kids are like dogs. They need consistency. I'm sure other parents in this thread will agree, if your kid has a schedule, and gets off schedule, oh the holy hell you will pay for going off schedule.

I used to love to sleep in on the weekends, but it throws a wrench into the entire households schedule, makes for a miserable weekend, and a terrible Monday. Keep it consistent.

If the kid takes a nap at 3PM, put them down at 3PM every day. If they nap for 2 hours get them up at 5.. don't let them sleep until 6. You'll be tired at 11PM wondering why you're fighting with a 2 year old who doesn't want to go to bed. We usually get up around 7:30 AM, even on the weekend we're up by 8 now or by god there is holy hell to pay for the rest of the day. If we let the kids sleep in, they're up at 10:30 or 11, they miss their nap, and the hours between 6:30 and 9PM turn into literal hell on earth from tiredness and crankiness. (I realize my household runs on a later time schedule than most. We don't work until 9AM)

My kids love to tell me they're not tired... no nap daddy, I don't wanna go to sleep. I tell them to go ahead and lay in bed and rest their eyes for a while... every single time they go to sleep. You can't trust a toddler, they will fall asleep standing up before they admit they are tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

MarshallX posted:

Our 8 month old is either in awful pain for some reason or has started a phase of crying and screaming all day. We don't know what's up but my wife is about to have a mental breakdown.

Took her to the Pediatrician and got her checked, Dr said they see nothing out of the ordinary.

In my experience this was almost always an ear infection. Give it another day and if it doesn't stop, get her checked again. My oldest had terrible ear infections before she got tubes, I literally walked around the house with her draped over my shoulder for an entire day once while she screamed her little heart out from the pain. Ear tubes are a loving miracle. Teething sucks but doesn't cause constant all day screaming in my experience

Does she stop screaming when she eats?