Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Our camelbaks collected water in the valves and leaked out the spout. So, watch for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

frenchnewwave posted:

The SwaddleMe by Summer Infant was a miracle for us. We used them until 6 months. Got ours at Target.

Summer Infant also make a Swaddle Pod which is nice. I really like the Woombies.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Get measurements and find a rear facing carseat that will work by actually going to a physical baby store? They make some pretty compact rear facing seats now. I know people say the Radian (Diono) brand is pretty slim/compact. You might have to drop a few hundred on another carseat, but it's cheaper than buying a new car and not using a car at all. Those are kind of extreme options.

Alternative: swap cars with your husband.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 25, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We rearfaced until 2.5 when my daughter started unbuckling the chest clip.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I make a wipes solution (using baby washclothes) with baby oil, baby wash, and water. It lasts a while, is super gentle, and smells pretty good (considering).

Here's the recipe:
1/2 cup oil
1/2 cup soap or baby wash
2 cups water

It's great if your baby has a persistent rash and using anything else irritates them further. I only made it myself because I had so much unused baby oil, baby wash sitting around already opened.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We have the Ikea high chair and the fisher price booster seat and love both of them. My daughter's almost 4 and can still fit into the Fisher Price booster and she's 42lbs and 41 inches tall.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Thanks for the info on the ikea high chair. I was, and am, debating between it and the space saver. We're going to ikea soon, and will probably end up eating and trying it out there. He's got some chunk, so I'm afraid hell outgrow the ikea chair sooner rather than later.

To give you an idea: my daughter was a super chubby baby and was able to stay in it until she was a little past 2. My son's 1 at the end of the month (omg!) and he's 24lbs and 32 inches tall. It's super roomy on him since he's much slimmer than my daughter was. We just got the chair out again last week :)

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

An Cat Dubh posted:

Ah yes, the infamous heat wave of '13 that broke Dublin's train service with so many people trying to get to/get home from the coast. Aaron was still wearing long sleeves then, but now that he's older I'll try out the short sleeves for the next few days. Maybe even get crazy and put him in one of the short sets I bought on a whim.

I had another question about diaper changes at night. Aaron will wake up once or twice during the night to nurse and I change his diaper after I've nursed him on one side. At that point he's still super sleepy, but changing his diaper wakes him up and even with nursing on the other side it's sometimes hard to get him to go back to sleep. Would it be ok to put him in overnight diapers even though he doesn't sleep through the night, or is it too early? He's three months old and only pees at night (no poop).

I think as long as the diaper's not saturated it'd be fine. What wakes him up, specifically? The motions, or a cold wipe? If it's a cold wipe you could also look in to a wipe warmer.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

frenchnewwave posted:

I wouldn't worry about weaning from swaddling. V only slept swaddled for the first 6 months and she made it very clear when she no longer wanted it. It wasn't a hard transition. Of course she sleeps like poo poo nowadays but that's not related. She was waking every 2 hours while swaddled too.

It's a hard transition for us at almost a year as my son still won't sleep un-swaddled. He'll occasionally sleep unswaddled but he has to be extremely tired for this to happen.

Bed sharing can be safe if practiced safely. You shouldn't have multitudes of pillows in a bed or heavy blankets and you definitely shouldn't be using pillows as a barrier to keep your child from rolling out of said bed. Just because you or your spouse practiced un-safe methods of bed sharing doesn't automatically make it extremely unsafe. You do what's best for your family.

As an aside we don't bed share because it's not ideal for our family. We do co-sleep in the same room (his crib's in our room) because that's what IS ideal for us.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jul 14, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DwemerCog posted:

I can't manage swaddling with blankets alone, she breaks out instantly, so my baby will have to give up swaddling when she no longer fits the commercial swaddlers, which will be about 4-6 months.

You can get Wombies on sale from time to time. They fit up to 25lbs.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Volmarias posted:

Speaking of which, for those of you with both newborns and toddlers, how does the sleeping situation work out? I would expect that when the newborn wakes up every few hours screaming, it would wake up the toddler and make them grumpy an poorly rested. Do they just sleep through it instead?

It was the opposite for us and still is. Our almost 4 year old wakes up randomly and for a while after the baby was born insisted on sleeping in our room. She's loud and our son goes to bed at 6 while she goes to bed around 9-10ish. So, she still wakes him up from time to time. He's also a light sleeper whereas she's a heavy sleeper.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I just use a cheap rear end mini food processor I got off Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Proctor-Silex...+food+processor I started using it again (we used it with my first, too) when he was around 6 months old. I would only get a food mill/strainer if you're expecting to make super fine consistency food that can be stringy such as sweet potatoes and want to shove it into a food pouch or something.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I like the Avent straw cups. http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Avent-Straw-Ounce-Blue/dp/B008M0TUO2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375295245&sr=8-1&keywords=avent+straw+cup However, I purchased mine from Buy Buy Baby .

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

I think a lot of people in this thread use cloth diapers.

Lullabee posted:

On a side note: I need a new diaper bag. What do you guys use? I can't decide if I want a back pack, purse or diaper bag.. They each have pros/cons.

How much are you willing to spend? I have a few Jujube diaper bags that I love but they're pricey. Honestly you can just get away with a cheap backpack that has a lot of nice pockets if cost is an issue for you. I just picked up the Metro Retro tote by Thirty One cause I wanted something to just toss odds and ends in without all the extra pockets. However, I also have 2 kids and now have to carry around extras for my 4 year old such as a portable toilet cover that can take up a bunch of space. :argh:

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Mnemosyne posted:

Jujube would be my recommendation too. I have the BFF model, and it has a carry handle, a shoulder strap or backpack straps, so you can convert it to whatever works best for you at the time. I've used mine daily for 13 months now, and it's in great shape. It's also machine-washable, because all of those expensive diaper bags that say "dry clean only" can go to hell.

The BFF is probably my most favorite one. Versatility and organization in it are great.

If you search Facebook there is a jujube b/s/t trade group where you can get them for much cheaper than retail in a lot of cases. May be something to check out.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

We have a Graco MyRide 65 and paid around $120. We were t-boned while my daughter was in one and it didn't budge plus my daughter was just giggling away cause I guess being spun in a car is super fun! (everyone was fine).

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

vanessa posted:

We use the My Little Chair for our portable high chair and we really like it. It has straps which helps with our wiggle monster, and we've never had problems fitting it over chairs at hotels and restaurants.

In action:

(7 months old)

(13 months old)

I've thought about this cause I'd like to be able to carry it wherever without the bulk of a booster, but some of the reviews mention it's a pain since the kid can't reach the table to eat their food. Has that been an issue that you've noticed? I think it'd be especially handy as we do a lot of road trips and the booster takes up a lot of space in the trunk if we need to pack things for a week long stay somewhere.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

randomfuss posted:

Hello thread.

My 1 year old wakes up at night. Every two loving hours. 1am, 3am, 5am. He stands up and screams. Sometimes, he just wants to be hold. For one hour. Sometimes, milk will put him right back to sleep. Any help? We've been dealing with that for 2 weeks now (before, he would wake up and scream every 4 hours). I know it will be over sometimes, but I have to wake up at 6 to go to work, and even if I can run on 4 hours of sleep a night, being waked up every 2 hours just does not do it.

He has his own room but usually at 3am when we go in we just collapse. He's weaned. He's a lovely child during the day, eats well and is of average wight/length.

Thanks for any advice, we'll try anything that is not CIO (we just can't).

Is he teething? My 13 month old has been doing this lately and even waking up for the day at 5am with a night waking at around 12-1am. He's almost always got his fist shoved in to his mouth and is super drooly/snotty. Nothing has really helped yet, but we're going to try pushing back his bedtime about 2 hours (he usually is a complete mess by 6pm, but we're going to try to keep him awake until 8pm). I can report back!

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

randomfuss posted:

He's not teething. He already has 6 teeth. They came out in 2 batches and he would be miserable all day. He also had a fever. Now he just wakes up at night and screams, not at all the same symptoms.

My son has 8 teeth and yea, is miserable most of the day ;) I didn't think it would be out of the realm of possibilities, though.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

^^ yup.

An Cat Dubh posted:

My 4 and a half month old is cutting his first tooth and is having a horrible time sleeping. Waking up frequently and really restless. Any advice to help him?

What have you tried?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

They'll likely issue a recall shortly if it's still an ongoing problem - assuming people are reporting the issue.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My son loves salmon, catfish, and mahi mahi. Flaky fish is great.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DwemerCog posted:

I could cut out eggs, probably when I get my own kitchen in 2 weeks and can cook properly. For now, they are another thing that is in literally everything, due to being used as additives. I am using mayo on my bread instead of butter or marg (all marges have soy or milk products in them) and I don't want to use peanut butter due to being another possible allergen. I've got almond butter but it is vile. When I move I'm going to get a bread maker, and use nothing but olive oil on my bread, but sliced supermarket bread is disgusting plain.

Use mustard if you gotta use something on your bread. If you suspect that eggs are the culprit (which you've mentioned a couple of times now) you should really cut them out for a while. Several ladies here have had to cut them from their diet while breastfeeding and it was completely feasible. You're not talking to a bunch of idiots just suggesting things out their rear end. You're talking to women who have dealt with these issues and readily dismissing the advice given.

Boil some rice on a stove and boil vegetables on the stove. You don't have to have a steamer or a rice cooker.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 18, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Yes, clearly rice and veggies are terrible and bland and you can't season them or anything. Or, saute them in a pan with olive oil.

You're just being intentionally obtuse about it. Add avocado. Salmon is fatty and delicious. It's possible to cook things on a stove with minimal effort and it's easy to find fatty things to add to your diet to eat with your "bland" and healthy food while cutting out eggs and dairy (if that's what you have to do).

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 18, 2013

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My son's going as an octopus and my daughter's going as Buzz Lightyear. :3:

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Dandy Shrew posted:

I gave Rory some baby oatmeal yesterday and this morning and now he's super constipated and pooping out tiny little hard nuggets :(

I have him some diluted prune juice, a warm bath, and tummy rubs but there's still been no proper poop. Any tips?

I've always had better luck with the pureed prunes (stage 1) than the juice. Maybe try that?

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Lullabee posted:

Stupid question, I'm sure, but I'm asking anyways - today's high is 77, in the mid 50s right now. We're going on a play date at the zoo in about 2 hours. When it will be 65ish.

My question is - what do I dress C in? I've got him in a long john type onesie, pants, a hat, socks and shoes. But do I throw a jacket on too? Gloves? I ask because I am a wimp who's cold at anything below 80, so I have no clue.

My pediatrician always says that the general rule of thumb is to dress your kids in one more layer than what you're wearing to be comfortable. It seems to work out really well for us during the winter. The only thing to consider right now in fall-ish weather is that little ones will be rear facing so take that in to consideration when layering as it can get super hot pretty quickly.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

re: sippy cup chat -

It really doesn't matter which kind you get because they will all eventually turn in to leaking pieces of garbage. Especially if you use your dishwasher to clean them - and there are various factors at play to how long they will hold up albeit hard water or the type of detergent you use. I recommend trying a variety that say they're spill/leak proof and go from there. Try Marshalls/TJ Maxx for discounted ones.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Vulva. It's easy for a young child to say.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

My son is 18 months old, is 30lbs and is 34" tall. He wears a size 5, but can also get away with wearing a size 4. If anything I guess try the night time diapers for heavy wetters that can be worn 12 hours. We use Target diapers and in a pinch use Huggies as Pampers don't work well for my son's build.

e: are you using a diaper with an elastic/cinched back? We can't use anything that doesn't have that in the back.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 5, 2014

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Huge Graco carseat recall (not for infant seats) http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/business/2014/02/11/graco-recall/5396939/

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

DoBoMi posted:

Getting raw ingredients is also very important, and most of the time even cheaper than processed food. I don't get it why many people here, who don't have much money, spend it on junk food etc.

Because many people are in working families and time is a huge factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

heh, just go to a Farmer's Market if you're so poor amirite