Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nwin posted:

We watch a lot of YouTube with my son and I’m trying to block some things.

We use the normal YouTube app and subscribe to cocomelon and Hudson’s playground.

We don’t mind those channels at all. It’s just that every now and then YouTube will switch to something else it thinks we want to watch. One it always does is Super Jojo, which is basically the same exact thing as cocomelon with different graphics and singers. It’d be fine except the baby does a bunch of things my son tries to imitate, like hitting his head on the ground and trying to drink soda and then complaining (loudly!) about his stomach hurting.

Is there a way to block certain channels or videos in YouTube? We use Apple TV.

We tried YouTube kids which lets you block videos, but there doesn’t seem to be any way to subscribe to channels and a lot of the videos aren’t educational or even in English-even while selecting certain presets...I’m trying my best not to expose my kid to the dark web anytime soon!

We use Netflix a bit as well, but he’s always like cocomelon (which in on Netflix) and Hudson’s playground (which isn’t).

I haven't tried it but there is a YouTube kids app that lets parents set up an allowlist for videos/channels/playlists and that is all the kid has access to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nwin posted:

I didn’t know YouTube DL even existed so that’s a possibility.

I mentioned the YouTube kids app above...I’ll have to mess around to see an allow list. Thanks!

Oops, I missed the part where you mentioned YTK. (I have a 3 month old so I'm not responsible for my actions)

The allowlist thing was added after Elsagate I think.

This has the instructions for setting it up
https://support.google.com/youtubekids/answer/6172308?hl=en#zippy=%2Capproved-content-only

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

space uncle posted:

I don’t know what happened but my two month old baby hates it when I feed him now. Not sure if it’s nipple confusion or preferring breast milk over formula or what but I feel like a massive failure. Just handed him off to Mom after he had a complete meltdown over an ounce of formula and it sounds like she got him to drink it no problem. What the gently caress.

Edit: never mind she just gave up on feeding him. I think he wasn’t that hungry and I was forcing too much on him. Need to adjust to longer gaps between feeding.

We had a similar thing happen around the same time. We tried several different formulas and even exclusively breastfeeding over the course of about a month. In the end we settled on the exact same formula we started with. Our conclusion was babies are weird sometimes so don't over think it unless they start dropping weight

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

You can either cut them while trimming their nails or they can cut their face the with their own talons. Either way there will be blood.

Our kid looked like he had been in a knife fight for a few days when we accidentally let his nails get too long

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

A night nurse can also be an option if you've got the financial means for one. We had someone come in one or two nights a week for the first couple months and it was really nice to have a break from the shifts and sleep in the same bed again. They also gave us some advice that really helped us get to a point where he mostly is sleeping through the night a lot quicker than he would have been if we were on our own. It wasn't cheap (one night was almost as much as a week of daycare), but it was worth it.

It's also less than ideal during a pandemic, we dodged the bullet when our night nurse ended up with covid.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Late to flight chat, but we just did our first flight with our 16 month old a few weeks ago. If you plan to use a rear facing car seat make sure you look up how much room there is in the airplane seat, especially front to back, sometimes a car seat just physically will not fit in the seat (especially on budget airlines). The airline will say you can use a rear facing car seat as long as it fits but oh, by the way, no car seat being manufactured actually fits.

My recent experience with Spirit was that we booked the big seats at the front of the plane to make sure the car seat would fit, then a couple days before the flight we called Spirit to double check something and the customer service rep informed us that we could not use a car seat OR hold our son in our seats because they had inflatable airbags built into the seatbelts and the car seat wouldn't fit in any of the other seats on the plane. We spent 24 hours freaking out trying to figure out what we were going to do, finally decided to just downgrade our seats to the crappy cramped seats and hold our son the entire flight, but on the call to do that a different customer service rep told us it was fine, those seats didn't have the airbag thing and that the website won't let you book them for a car seat if you can't use them. We went to the airport ready for anything, but the second customer service rep was correct and it was fine.

Our son didn't want to stay in his car seat and ended up in my wife's lap for most of the flight, but outside of maybe 5 minutes of crying he was pretty well behaved. We did an evening flight with the hopes that he would sleep but he was wide awake until we got to the hotel 4 hours after his bed time.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Daycare has been a huge net positive for our 18 month old. He's been going since he was 3 months old and there's just a lot of stuff he gets to do and learn that he otherwise wouldn't be learning. We both work full time, and while we both love him more than anything being a full time stay at home parent is just not something either of us is built for. He gets the attention and socialization that he needs and learns things we would never have taught him on our own like baby sign language and we have time to mentally recharge so we can give him more focused attention when he's home.

It'll probably be tougher for a 3 year old starting out, but school is coming either way and it doesn't seem like it'll get any easier if you wait.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

My neighbor just rang the doorbell and handed my child a wrapped box containing a toy that plays the Baby Shark song.

This is a war crime.

Any jury with a single parent on it would never be able to convict you for any retaliation you make

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

SixFigureSandwich posted:

I was going to ask the thread for suggestions in stopping my 13m old from throwing food on the floor but I'm increasingly sure it's an impossibility

With proper attention to the problem and discipline you can fix this in as little as 3 or 4 years

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Today, completely unprovoked, our 2 year old told us he wanted to peepee in the bathroom. We had a training seat that we got as a gift for his 1st birthday that we never bothered putting together, so I got it out, put it together, and he did in fact go peepee in the bathroom. I guess we're potty training now :shrug:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

Today, completely unprovoked, our 2 year old told us he wanted to peepee in the bathroom. We had a training seat that we got as a gift for his 1st birthday that we never bothered putting together, so I got it out, put it together, and he did in fact go peepee in the bathroom. I guess we're potty training now :shrug:

and now he woke up vomiting and it is everywhere

You win some you lose some

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Crescent Wrench posted:

How afraid should I be of HFM? The baby is 10 months old, and it's been going around daycare. He's showing no signs, but my wife wants to get coverage to keep him home this week to give it time to blow over. We have some good home care benefits, so that's not a problem, although I'm not keen on the disruption to my work schedule and him missing more time in the program. But if it's a trade-off to protect our health...

Our son had HFM, he had a bunch of spots but was otherwise normal.

My wife and I also got HFM and we were loving miserable.

That being said, if you keep your kid out of daycare every time there's some weird kid disease going around you may as well just get a nanny because they are going to be sick constantly for the next few years

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

cum jabbar posted:

Everything is fine at home. The problem is she's scared of everything outside the house, including the bathroom

:same:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My 2.5 year old has seen every episode of King of the Hill. He loved it.

Now that he's old enough to understand things he mostly sticks to Bear in the Big Blue House which is pretty good tbh. We throw in Sesame Street, Bluey, and Daniel Tiger every now and then, but he loves Bear.

He gets to watch an episode or two before bed on weekdays and more on weekends depending on which daycare bug we're dealing with at the time, but he gets bored with it pretty quick anyway

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Sister-In-Law went full High Fidelity and put a baby aesthetic record player and a Disney Discography on her baby registry. Their baby will never be allowed to touch any of the devices unsupervised until they're like 28.

Fisher Price is gold standard for 0-2 year old music playing devices. The Kick and Play has the best track list of any device that played proprietary music.

I wish there was some indestructible brick that had like 4 buttons that would play a sound file, but every thing we have gotten so far has destructed.

Purple monkey is a banger

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Our 2 year old threw up 3 times last night, we were running out of blankets and were on 4th string stuffed animals. Not sure what we would have done if there had been a 4th incident :ohdear:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

nachos posted:

We just buy multiple copies of first stringers

My son started with a stuffed bunny blanket that is no longer made, my wife found a similar elephant blanket to keep as an emergency backup, but he saw it and so then he had Bunny and Ellie.

My wife bought a second Ellie to keep as a backup and he saw it, so now he has Bunny and Ellie and Second Ellie.

He has played us for fools

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

I guess this is just life now lol

lol no eventually it'll be messy

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

2 year old has learned to escape the crib

RIP me

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Why doesn't my daughter seem to know what "I can't hear you" implies? I even offer solutions. Come closer, or speak louder!

My son talks softer every single time I say I can't hear him. Which goes down a spiral as he whispers softer and softer and I'm still trying to understand what he's saying

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My two year old wished me happy mother's day today.

He's getting there...

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

hallo spacedog posted:

Trying to set a small boundary by getting my two year old to say please before nursing and struggling a bit, she keeps having meltdowns when I ask her to do this. Not sure if I'm being unreasonable here and should just give up or is this ok to ask for.

I think that's a reasonable age to introduce "please". Meltdowns aren't necessarily a reason to stop doing something, they're the cost of doing business when you're teaching a kid to do something they don't want to do. Sometimes it's worth it, sometimes it isn't.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Silent Linguist posted:

LOL my 2-year-old just called Mrs. Potts from Beauty and the Beast “coffee grandma” :allears:

My 2 year old calls The Lion King "Big Kitties" and his favorite song is The Monkey Song (The Circle of Life because Rafiki is in it)

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

2) FAA certified seats will fit on any commercial jet

Check with your airline on this.

Airlines regulated by the FAA are required to accommodate you with a different seat in the same class if you have a ticket and an FAA certified car seat, but if the airplane doesn't have any seats (in your class) the car seat will fit in you are going to be out of luck. Airlines like Spirit have tiny rear end seats that are hard to get a car seat in.

But if you're not on an airline based in the US they don't have to follow FAA guidelines and there's a decent chance a flight to Taipei is on a carrier that falls under a different countries regulations

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Anybody else having issues with disney+ today

Nope, watching bear in the big blue house as we speak

My favorite thing about brushing my teeth is shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka, shucka-shucka

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My wife did some scissor cuts when our 2.75 year old son was younger, it was a big ordeal keeping him occupied the whole time, but now I just take clippers on the longest setting and do the haircut in about 5 minutes.

We prefer the mop top look for him, but his hair is really straight so it ends up in his eyes and scissor cuts are too much of an ordeal to do with a 2 year old. Plus, while my wife did an ok job all things considered, the clipper cut is much easier to get consistent.

When he gets old enough to sit through a haircut with a professional we'll reevaluate, but practicality is winning for now

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

First year of daycare we were sick about every other week from about October until April.
Second year we were sick continuously from January until April.
I really hope third year is better, I can't take another winter like this past one :smith:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

The first time you deal with blueberry shits as a parent is terrifying, black tar poop is the one thing you're not supposed to see

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

A Bad King posted:

any experience with hand-foot-mouth? my little guy brought it home last week and we finally have a diagnosis! hooray!

My fingers and hands hurt.

It sucks

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

After almost 3 years of encouraging "Please" and "thank you" to moderate success (in that he would say it after additional prompting) our son moved into the preschool class from the toddler class at daycare and within a week he's raising his hand and saying please and thank you at home.

It's great and depressing how much better they are at teaching him things

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Yeah you will just be the sickest you've ever been for about 4-9 months until you pokemon catch them all and then it's just a light cough and maybe a headache for half a day

If that was year 1 for you in daycare and you think you're done I've got bad news for you about year 2.

Year 2 was worse than year 1 for us and year 1 had a powerful trifecta of covid/flu/ear infection all at the same time

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

I remember finishing year 1 thinking “well, that was pretty bad but it could have been worse.” Year 2 was horrible.

We're coming up on the start of year 3 for me and I'm hoping we're finally over the hump and I won't be sick continuously for the next 6 months because year 2 almost broke me :ohdear:

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

And yes, the bivalent vaccine should be readily available now and it is recommended, but that wasn't the case for the first few months of distribution. Foggiest idea about the updated monovalent one.

The bivalent booster is no longer authorized, you can't get it anymore

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

Is it the brand new COVID-19 vaccine they can't keep in stock at pediatric offices y'all are seeing, or just the regular bivalent has not been regularly available since it came out? My son got the bivalent vaccine back in March/April, so I haven't been worried about getting him the updated one yet.

The new vaccine is the only one authorized for use, nobody can legally give the bivalent vaccine in the US anymore

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My kid demands 3+ blankets and then kicks them all off after I leave the room

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

DaveSauce posted:

Yeah I suppose.

I mean yeah of course it is, and I know they get super invested in the kids. I can't imagine they would stick with the job if they didn't.

But it's such a demanding job with such poo poo pay that I would feel bad infringing on their free time like that. I'd hate for them to feel pressured to show up for fear of losing out on side gigs or something.

This can all be solved by talking to them about it for less than 5 minutes. Just tell them they're welcome to come if they want but not to feel obligated and it's completely understandable if they have something else to do.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Yesterday I expertly negotiated my son down from wearing his pajamas to daycare to wearing his pajama top with normal pants and shoes.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My 3 year old son got a slap bracelet trick or treating last weekend. He's been fascinated by it and has decided he has to wear it while he sleeps.

Everyone here knows the rest of this story and what the last couple hours have been

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

My kid was Daniel Tiger for Halloween but when people asked him what he was going to be he still said pumpkin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

remigious posted:

The dentist recommended that it is time to take away the binky :( I am filled with dread. My son is almost 3 and only uses it at night, but he’s still very much attached to it and the little stuffed llama. I bought him a new stuffy…hoping that is an acceptable replacement. Fingers crossed.

We snipped the tip off so that he couldn't get suction and then gradually made the tip smaller and smaller until one day he said he wasn't going to use it anymore because he's a big boy (and it wasn't very satisfying anymore)