Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
Can you take the baby out and let him have the house to himself for a few hours? I love just being able to relax in my own house without feeling "on duty."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We started solids at 6 months and that's when we started using the high chair. This is the one we have: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Healthy-Care-Booster-Green/dp/B004C43JJ4/ref=pd_cp_ba_1

It's portable and easy to clean and doesn't take up extra floor space like a standard high chair. Also, cheap! We caught it on sale at Babies R Us and used a coupon and we paid $17.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Why do you need to justify your parenting to them? Tell them to butt out.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

By 10 months, our kid was just eating what we did, just cut smaller. We didn't prepare separate meals for him unless we were eating something like gross fast food or pizza.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

That website advocates this as a technique to help with sleep at SIX WEEKS OLD:

"Quiet a baby thought to be sleepy in a crib or similar place, and avoid feeding or cuddling them to sleep, at night-time."

What is this, I don't even.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Sure, for an older baby, maybe. But avoid cuddling and feeding your newborn to sleep? That's madness. You can be drat well sure if my kid fell asleep at the breast and/or in my arms, I wasn't waking him up. That age is rife with sleep regressions and you're just setting yourself up for disappointment if you expect a baby that age to sleep independently.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

No one is getting crazy. But a website giving advice to tell people to restrict how you feed a 6 week old is just plain bad advice. Doing that will likely lead to issues with your milk supply and your baby's weight gain.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

raaaan posted:

Can I just say thank everything sweet and holy for sleep sacks? We tried swaddling with blankets like the nurses did for us at the hospital, but she broke out of them so easily, even though we double blanketed her. We started using a sleep sack the week after we got home, and she started sleeping better. I didn't realize how much better until we went without it the last two nights--I threw it into the laundry hamper and my husband forgot to put it in the machine, so we had her in nice footy pyjamas instead. She was up every hour and refused to settle for ages each time. Last night we put her back in the sack and she slept through the night and woke in an awesome mood. I have a bigger one lined up for when she outgrows this one. :)

Get more than one in each size, so you can avoid the laundry mishaps. At some point your kid is going to pee or crap or vomit all over it in the middle of the night and having another one ready to go is a godsend.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

12 weeks old is really young to expect a sleep routine to work. She can work on a consistent sleep routine (bath, boob, stories, bed in whatever order works), but expecting it to work all the time and especially expecting them to sleep all night at such a young age is a recipe for making yourself crazy.

Here's some info on normal sleep in infants:

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleepstudies/

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleep/

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

MoCookies posted:

No Cry Nap Solution is the book I'd recommend for troubleshooting short naps. No Cry Sleep Solution is good too, but I feel like the Nap book's organization was particularly helpful (figuring out what to try with a catnapper vs. needs to nurse to sleep type of baby, etc.). It helped give me some concrete stuff to try, and is all about finding out what methods/routines work for you or your family. Things are gradually getting better for us in terms of naps and bedtime, so I'm happy with our more gentle approach. My big issue with a lot of the sleep training stuff I see around is that it's a "one size fits all" sort of solution, and I don't think it's compassionate towards the baby.

I definitely agree with the lack of compassion in sleep training stuff. Not all kids are the same! I thought my kid would never nap for a long time. If I was lucky, he would nap for 45 minutes a few times a day when he was under 9ish months, then he transitioned to 2 1 hour naps, and now at 2 he finally naps for almost 2 hours every day and has done so for the last several months. Nothing I did changed how long he napped; it was just the natural progression of things as he aged.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

My go to gift for kids is books. You can shop amazon by age here: http://www.amazon.com/b/ref=H1_Age?...rd_i=2233171011

Or you can hit up your local children's librarian for age appropriate suggestions.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Benzocaine should be a last resort sort of thing for teething. There are some pretty scary risks (reduced gag reflex among them).

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/DrugSafety/ucm250024.htm

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

http://blog.pandora.com/pandora/archives/2010/02/childrens-music.html

We listen to the Kids Folk Station some. It's listenable. We also like the Mumford and Sons pandora station.

Edit: just remembered: a friend's 3 year old really likes Laurie Berkner.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 28, 2012

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

My friend has an Element and a 14 month old and she has one of the seats permanently folded up so she can get the kid in rear-facing more easily.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

3 months is when the salivary glands really kick into gear and it's often mistaken for teething. But seeing white spots in the gums would make me wonder. Usually the first to come through are the 2 bottom center teeth. Canines coming through first would be unusual, but not unheard of, I suppose.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/551798-salivation-in-babies/

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Cake is delicious. Don't be a hater.

http://imgur.com/50gMC

http://imgur.com/tz6Xc

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Every one covered the cookie situation, but that perfume poo poo is awful. I get headaches around strong scents and it has amplified since having a baby. It's totally ok to tell her to cut it out while she stays there. My MIL does the same thing, and I tolerate it because she just lives around the corner and only stops in for a few hours at a time, but I'd ask her to cut it out if she were in my home for three weeks.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I think you're being overly paranoid.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We got a convertible after mine outgrew the infant carrier. I have 2 actually, the FirstYears Truefit (which is a total pain in the rear end to install and I would not recommend it to anyone) and the Britax Boulevard. The Truefit rear-faces to 35lbs and the Boulevard rear-faces to 40. Both go up to 65 or 70lbs forward facing IIRC. My kid is 26 months and he only weighs 27 pounds, so we're rear-facing still. He's also a short kid, so height isn't an issue for us. I would suggest you go to a store where you can try it out in your car before you buy. We were going to get the diono radian, but it just didn't fit in our car (toyota camry hybrid) very well. When we put it in rear-facing behind the passenger seat, my knees were all crammed up into the dashboard and I'm only 5'3".

This page will give you the rundown on the different style carseats and give some recommendations too. http://www.car-safety.org/basics.html

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Konomex posted:

If someone rear ends me the baby will be propelled backwards, which means that a forward facing seat would be preferable in that sort of situation. Unless someone swerves into my lane and hits me front on.

I've got a convertible seat, but my child is very very long and quickly approaching the point at which the seat manufacturers say to turn it around. She'll run out of leg space essentially. I'll take a look around for different models.

quote:

Statistics. According to Crashtest.Com, frontal and frontal offset crashes combine for about 72% of severe crashes. Side impacts are about 24%. Rear and rear offset crashes only account for about 4%. The NHTSA FARS database shows similar numbers. The odds of being in a frontal crash with a fatality or very serious injury are many times greater than being in a severe rear-end crash. Rear-enders are more common at lower speeds, though most injuries in these crashes are not as severe - typically, whiplash injuries to adults, especially passengers lacking proper head restraint.

http://www.car-safety.org/rearface.html

And leg room is not an indicator of whether your child has outgrown a seat. It's based on where his head is and what the recommendations are from the seat manufacturer.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

It's fine for their legs to stick out. Here are some photos of how that works: http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/120133/Proof_That_Older_Taller_Kids

http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/RFAlbum.aspx

Also, your driving record isn't going to prevent other people around you from being idiots.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jan 7, 2013

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

That all sounds within the range of normal to me. In my experience, some kids are sleepers and some are not. You just roll with it and do what you have to do to get everyone some sleep.

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleepstudies/

quote:

Only 16% slept through the night at six months old — 84% were not sleeping through the night at 6 months
17% woke more than once per night, ranging from twice to eight times
5% woke once every night
9% woke most nights
50% woke occasionally
16% of six-month-olds had no regular sleeping pattern

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

The general rule is that you can stop waking them to feed during the night once they've reached their birth weight, which usually happens within a couple weeks of birth. If you keep waking him to feed, you're telling your body that you need to keep producing all that milk. I'd pump some off to relieve pressure, or hand express some and let the kid sleep, and hopefully your breasts will regulate your supply down to stop getting engorged during the night.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

SassySally posted:

I'm in the same boat as all of you having sleep issues. My Ben just turned 4 months. He was waking only twice a night, then three times, now 5-6 distinct times with each time requiring 3-6 attempts to put him in his bed. He doesn't ever really fully wake up, just fussy half-sleep. I talked to my local lactation consultant because everyone was recommending I feed him cereal (He's just hungry!) and I was adamant that I not give him cereal. (He is NOT hungry.) She backed me up on no cereal and said that when babies learn something new, they often wake up extra. (I don't think I saw that mentioned here.)

Welcome to the four month sleep regression. You should come out mostly unscathed.

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/4mo-sleep/

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

My son's poop consistency change dramatically upon starting solids regularly. Dog turd sounds about right compared to the normally seedy mustard colored breastmilk poop. Read here and see if the symptoms actually line up: http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/childhood-illnesses/constipation She may just be an irregular pooper.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I joined a cloth diapering group via meetup and then we migrated to Facebook. I found some of my closest friends there. I also found friends at LLL meetings. There was a lot of crossover between the two groups too, so it was nice to see familiar faces at get togethers for either one. Have you tried library story times? I connected with a couple people there too. We started going to all of these when my son was around 4 months old and I was starting to go a little stir crazy with not getting regular adult interaction during the day.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

gently caress that guy. The next time you see him drive off that way, call 911. If they're so cavalier about the most basic safety rules with a toddler, gently caress their adoption hopes. They don't need to have another kid to put at such risk.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

If it's a new thing, do you think she could be sick or have teeth coming in? Ear infections are tricky things to figure out sometimes.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Have you considered cosleeping? That's how I made it through. My kid would not sleep without the boob and I was not going to let him cry, so he slept in the bed with us. He could nurse, I could sleep, and nobody had to get out of the bed multiple times a night.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

It doesn't have to be 20 consecutive minutes. You can do 5 here or 5 there. Or you can wear her and get the same benefits there too.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Just take her in with you. No one will care except crazy people whose opinions don't matter.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

What do you think will happen?

(Also, howdy, sort of neighbor)

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

It is nigh unto impossible that starting solids will make him disinterested in nursing. My son is 2.5 and we started solids right at 6 months. He was closer to a year old when he was eating regular meals. Before that it was mostly just for practice and keeping him occupied at mealtimes. He still nurses once a day.

Edit: Here's some reading at kellymom about it: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/ready-solids-links/

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/delay-solids/

quote:

The following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):

World Health Organization
UNICEF
American Academy of Pediatrics
American Academy of Family Physicians
Australian National Health and Medical Research Council
Health Canada

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I think being "interested in food" at that age is mostly just babies taking interest in what the adults are doing and learning that their hands can do things. Actually being physically ready to eat takes a little longer.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

In light of the recent discussion on solids, here's a NYT article about people not following the recommendations of waiting til 6 months, often due to economic reasons and/or outdated advice from medical professionals.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/25/health/many-babies-fed-solid-food-too-soon-cdc-finds.html

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We swaddled until my kid was 6 months old and would have done it longer if we had one that would have contained him at that size. It worked, he slept, we slept and we didn't want to gently caress with a good thing while it lasted.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Mezzanine posted:

She still has trouble communicating basic things with us. She often parrots things back at us as a way of answering, and only proactively says things in a few limited situations, so we guess that it just never occurs to her to say "potty" or anything similar, even though we try our best to explain.

I think is the bigger problem that you need to worry about. Why is her communication limited? She should be spending most of her day chattering away and asking questions and such. I'd be discussing this with her doctor.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Acrolos posted:

So our baby is 19 days old and was born about 10 days early, weighing 6 pounds 7 ounces. On the day we came home from the hospital (day 4), she weighed 5 pounds, 11 ounces. Since that point, 15 days total, she has gained up to 8 pounds 6 ounces. A total of 2 full pounds, and almost three pounds from her lowest point. Is this normal? I feel like she's gaining at a much faster rate than she should be...but everything I read says to feed to her hunger at this point. We never force her to feed, but anytime we see a her put her fingers in her mouth (which always is her sign of wanting to eat), we'll feed her. We thought that maybe we were misreading the signals, but when we've tried to not feed her, she always cries and demands to eat...so we know that it's hunger.

Any thoughts? Is this a normal weight gain?

It's fine. Feed your baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

frenchnewwave posted:

At what age did your children start becoming attached to their lovies? Just curious. My daughter is only 5 months old so right now she loves every toy equally as long as she can chew on it. I did buy her a little security blanket to see if it would help her sleep better but haven't tried it yet for fear of her covering her face.

My kid is 2.5 and has never gotten attached to any particular toy or blanket. Mostly because he uses me or my husband as comfort objects when he falls asleep, I think. We're there to cuddle, so that seems to be enough.