Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I like "The Baby Book" by Dr Sears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lyz posted:

After taking the path of least resistance with Chris and letting him nap in swings and vibrating chairs, or on my boob, the only way I can get him to nap now is lying in bed next to me with a pacifier and some soft lullabies playing. About five minute after he closes his eyes I switch him to the crib (I used to leave him on the bed but he fell off after he decided to wake up and crawl around without making a peep).

Speaking of sleep issues (it really is the worst thing about kids), Chris has started a lovely pattern or waking up at 3:30am and NOT GOING THE gently caress BACK TO SLEEP. I know part of it is a temperature issue, because the weather is getting colder and heat really doesn't get into that nursery very well, and part of it is the fact that I'm lazy and bring him to bed to nurse when he wakes up for the day because I want to keep laying down.

I'm babbling, but the gist of it is that this is becoming an hour and a half ordeal in the middle of the night and it's kicking our asses. Do I need to stop the morning feeding in bed because he's just kicking up a fuss to get that, or do we need to stop going in the room a half dozen times and just let him work it out on his own?

I wouldn't leave him to work it out on his own.

Can you address the warmth in his room issue? Maybe dress him in warmer pajamas or turn your heat up higher than you normally would just so the nursery does get warm enough?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Budget Bears posted:

Hey parenting thread! I'm not a parent but I'm a nanny who works with two school-age girls (7 and 10) and I was hoping someone here might be able to give me some ideas on how to get the younger one to focus. Maybe some other parents of 7-year-olds can give me ideas on what helps their kids stay on task?

Is she expected to sit still and do all of these things right after school? That sounds like too much to expect from a 7 year old.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
You could also get like a hearth gate and just go around the bottom of the steps.

http://www.amazon.com/Kidco-Close-Hearth-Gate--Black/dp/B006OJIKD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1350318634&sr=8-1&keywords=hearth+gate

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Superdawg posted:

Thanks for the responses. Yeah, I was thinking about the hearth gate. Was curious where everyone else stood with regard to what they were doing. The price makes me just wanna keep going with putting something big on the stairs so he just can't get by it. :)

That's not going to work long-term though. ;) We have hearth gates around fireplaces and we used to have one to the doorway of the kitchen and they work great.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I wouldn't wake him up to nurse as long as he's a healthy weight.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
You don't have to wean at one. If you really want to though, there's no reason your kid needs cow's milk. There are other places to get calcium and vitamin D. You could try other types of 'milk' like soy milk, almond milk, coconut milk, hemp milk. All of those have fortified versions.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My kids woke up for a nighttime snack for awhile after they were weaned.

Here's the page on Kellymom about nightweaning: http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/weaning-night/

I wouldn't leave a 10 month old to cry for food.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

LuckyDaemon posted:

Hello thread. I am about to fly with my 18 month old, alone. Please kill me.

Or, ideas. I decided not to risk a nighttime flight because if he slept that would be awesome, but if he didn't it would be hell. We're leaving the house at 5:00 AM and I plan to put him to bed at 5:00 PM the night before so he's tanked up on sleep and in a great mood. We should get into our new destination around noon thirty.

So far I have snacks...and that's it. We don't have a portable DVD player and I've actually tried to get him to watch a little TV before (bad mommy), but he's not interested. Because he hates sitting still.

He's flying as a lap infant, no flaming please. Has anyone done this before? I just feel so much dread when I think about it.

Does he like presents? Wrapped small toys can be a hit. Foods he doesn't get to eat often. Coloring books and crayons or markers are good.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lyz posted:

By manual do you mean ones that you pump by hand? If so, don't even bother unless you are gushing milk. I had a pretty normal flow and I couldn't get crap from a hand pump.

The manual ones worked fine for me. They weren't as comfortable as the electric but since insurance is paying for it, I see no reason not to get it. I don't have a preference to recommend though.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Does everyone pretty much do the Santa thing? We're not there yet, but I'm a little uneasy with the idea. At the same time, I remember how great the idea of Santa is. Is there some sort of middle ground? Like, telling them it's a big group pretend?

We don't do Santa. If my kids ask me something (Is Santa pretend?), I don't lie. I know it's a weird position to take and it's not a common one but I'm comfortable with my decision.

I have heard some people talk about the spirit of santa and they do it that way with their kids and they let their kids pretend to be santa too.

If you go either of these routes know that some parents will be extremely pissed off if your kids tells their kid that Santa is pretend. I've prepped my kids by telling them some people believe in Santa and that's okay and it's not polite to tell them he's fake, just like we don't tell people God is fake.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

iwik posted:

My little dude has been a drool monster for a couple of weeks, and for the last week or so started to get a bit fussy and try to shove his whole fist in his mouth and chew on it, so we're assuming teething is starting.

He's not 3 months yet though, so he lacks the dexterity to be able to hold and chew a thing himself, so what can we do? Just hold it so he can gum it up?

Also he has white areas on his gums in all 4 spots where his canines would eventually be. They're not raised lumps or small dots, they are about the diameter of a pea I suppose.. the gum is pink around them then a real pale cream/white colour. That wouldn't be those teeth starting to rear their heads would it?

Sounds like teeth to me! They can come up and then go back down before they finally emerge for good though so it could be awhile.

Tylenol helps! Or Ibuprofen. Poor little dude, teething sucks.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

MoCookies posted:

I'm flying with my 13-month old kiddo on Christmas, and as usual before travelling, I'm wrecked with anxiety. I flew with him solo when he was 5 months old, but he wasn't walking then, not to mention that he was so much physically smaller. We've done some lengthy car trips too, but I think it's the "lap infant" aspect that has me the most worried.

Any tips/tricks for keeping your lap infant from kicking the seat in front of you? Were you able to keep your active toddler sufficiently quiet & still for an entire flight? We have a long layover at ORD (Chicago); how confident should I feel about my kid not catching a virus or something if I let him play in their kid areas? We are headed to Vegas for my brother's wedding, too. So if you have any experience entertaining the under-5 set in Las Vegas, that would be useful. It's been hard to find anything about that online other than, "GAWD! Why would you take a baby to Vegas?" :(

If he's kicking the seat, turn him around so he's straddling your lap instead.

If you bring a bag of stuff (snacks and toys - you can even wrap the toys to make them extra exciting) that helps with the boredom/quietness issue. If he gets a little loud, it happens. Kids will be kids.

I wouldn't feel very confident about avoiding colds but I also wouldn't worry too much about colds unless your kid is immune compromised and then I'd be asking a doctor what precautions you should be taking.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

hepscat posted:

I tell you one way it's drat useful: getting them to bed on Christmas Eve.

I tell mine "I can't put the presents under the tree until you're asleep!" and they go to bed pretty easily Christmas Eve. ;)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Oxford Comma posted:

Tricks for getting kids to just eat their dinner?

:negative:

Are they just not eating anything? I think you need to give more details.

Make things they like, cut them into fun shapes, make the plate fun, try different things, give them small portions, have them help prepare the food, let them pick things out at the grocery store, give them options.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Chickalicious posted:

I think you're being overly paranoid.

Yes.

Stranger abductions are VERY VERY RARE. You and your mom need to stop being obnoxious about your sister's parenting choices. If the kids were 2 & 3 I would think differently.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Konomex posted:

I can't work out if you're joking or being serious. Things are just as safe as they were in those days. Actually, they're probably safer in some regards. The only reason they don't seem as safe is because the media and the internet make any child abductions so much more known about. If your child is going to get abducted, it's more likely to be someone they know.

Just keep an eye on them and teach them how to be safe, children should feel safe to play in their neighbourhoods.

Completely agreed. Kid abductions by strangers are not more common. That's a myth.

Also you shouldn't teach your kids 'stranger danger' but instead focus on rules about not going anywhere without first telling a parent/guardian. People talk to strangers all the time so it can be confusing to a kid. "Don't talk to strangers but say Hi to this person you don't know because I'm telling you to! Mom talks to strangers all the time!" It's a weird mixed message. Tell your kid that you won't ever send a stranger to pick them up without first telling them about it. Teach them to run to an adult woman if they need someone to help them because adult women are very likely to stay with the child and help figure out how to find their parent if they're lost.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I want to also mention that you say your baby is getting too tall. This very well may be - but I want to make sure you aren't judging that based on his legs being folded or touching the backseat. When he's rearfacing, that is completely fine. He's too tall for the rearfacing seat when the top of his head is an inch away from the top of the carseat shell.

http://www.thecarseatlady.com/car_seats/rear-facing_seats_6.html

My daughter is 2 and is still rearfacing in a Britax Boulevard. My sons were both rearfacing until a bit longer than age 3.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

My son is 1 years old, old enough to throw things in the trash can. What's the best trash can with a lid that he won't be able to open and throw my wallet away etc?

You can get one with a locking lid. We have this one and it works great. http://www.amazon.com/simplehuman-40-Liter-Slim-Plastic-Black/dp/B004L9L42O/ref=pd_bxgy_hg_img_y

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Wojtek posted:

My 8.5 month year old has a new habit of waking up and screaming until you pick her up, to which she falls asleep until you put her down again, when the screaming starts again. Also happens when putting her to sleep for the night.

My wife and I have differing opinions on how to handle this:

Me - let her cry, she'll wear out and fall asleep on her own
Her - pick her up until she sleeps, put her down and pray that it's the 1% of the time she'll stay asleep

I think she is conditioning our daughter to scream out until she gets picked up. I don't know what to do.

You could try a third alternative. There's 'the no cry sleep solution' book you could read. You could try different routines. I wouldn't do the cry it out thing you want to do. Maybe meet in the middle, try a new routine and compromise. Good luck.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Helanna posted:

The sleep thing is a killer :( My daughter is 8 months old now, and while she was an awesome little sleeper in the early days, since 6 months she has been up many times every night. And I mean sometimes every half hour. The only way she goes back to sleep is if I breastfeed her. So I did, every time she woke up, thinking it was just a phase. Now almost 2 months later and she is so drat used to getting fed loads of times through the night that I think it's just routine now. I'm beyond exhausted, which is particularly hard at the moment when I am looking to start work again; doing job interviews after almost no sleep isn't a great way to perform at your best.

My husband and my doctor both think she's just in the habit now, and I need to do some "tough love", i.e. cry it out. I let my husband take care of her last night, only feeding her at bedtime, then 11pm, 5am, and when she got up at 7:30am. I had earplugs in, in a different room, and he was under strict instructions to repeatedly go to her to reassure her, roll her onto her back again (she rolls onto stomach and is stuck, raging). Apparently she took two whole hours to stop screaming last night, from 1-3am, and I feel like a horrible mother now :( Especially as my husband insists that I have to do the same again tonight to get her used to settling herself.

Not really sure what to do with her at this stage. Letting her cry for 2 hours, even with reassurance and picking her up etc. just seems really cruel. But feeding her every time isn't sustainable.

Read The No Cry Sleep Solution. http://www.amazon.com/The-No-Cry-Sl...+sleep+solution

:( I would not do cry it out. Your 8 month old does not need tough love. She does not understand why you aren't responding to her.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Twatty Seahag posted:

I wish we would have set better limits about food early on. Our daughter was very reluctant to move on to solids and really didn't show much interest in table food until 15 months. I was so ecstatic that I basically let her eat whatever she asked for. She's extremely picky so when we find something remotely healthy she likes, we end up making it every night for her instead of her eating with us. She's slowly getting better but very reluctant to try new things and often won't eat her lunch at daycare.

It seems a lot of kids have a phase where they don't like to eat certain foods and become very picky. Some kids are also just more naturally picky than others. I would say that's less your parenting and more personality in my experience.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Mnemosyne posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for baby spoons that aren't made of plastic (and aren't silicone-coated)? I've gotten pretty paranoid about plastics since I was pregnant, especially plastics that are exposed to heat. The only spoons I see in the stores are plastic or metal with the silicone or other rubbery coating on the bowl.

Just use a regular spoon if you're paranoid about it.

Or order baby silverware on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Oneida-Paul-Revere-3-Piece-Baby/dp/B000FMTOQE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1361316499&sr=8-3&keywords=baby+silverware

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

ghost story posted:

What are y'alls thoughts on places like Little Gym, My Gym, Gymboree and Music Together? Music Together seems the most promising but I wanted to get some feedback. She just turned 7 months.

I'm starting up story time at our local library this week. I've been overly paranoid about limiting her exposure to the flu and other nasty germs. :(

We definitely get more sick during Music Together seasons but it's still worth it. ;) I tried Kindermusik and Music Together and much prefer Music Together. The music itself sounds better to me. Our local group has a class at night and I love that the whole family can go and sing and dance and play music together.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Chickalicious posted:

Just take her in with you. No one will care except crazy people whose opinions don't matter.

Absolutely.

Don't hand her off to a stranger just because she's a woman. Take her in the bathroom with you. It will be okay.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Axiem posted:

Is it strange that one of the reasons I look forward to potty-training our little girl is the fact that I have an excuse to use the family restrooms I see at the malls (when we're out as a family)? I imagine they're cleaner than the men's room--or at least have less vandalism by people over the age of 5.

I've seen people coming out of those bathrooms after obviously having just been sexing it up in there so I don't know if it's cleaner, really.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
The ones that go in the front seem safer http://www.amazon.com/iBert-Safe-T-Front-Mounted-Bicycle/dp/B000H4E7EO

Make sure the baby wears a helmet. Go to a bike shop and get them fitted for one. Our pediatrician's office actually fits them and sells them so we buy ours there.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

SassySally posted:

I'm having a mental battle. My son is nearly 6 months old and breastfed. My intent has always been to breastfeed/ pumped bottle feed him for the entire first year. Ben has, however, developed a strong and almost aggressive interest in our food. If he's being fussy during dinner I'll hold him, which leads him to do everything in his power to get my food. I'm concerned that if I start any solids (which I know full well he doesn't NEED at all) that he'll stop breastfeeding. Any advice or insight?

Yeah I doubt he'll stop breastfeeding just because you introduce solids. We did baby-led weaning aka just giving him pieces of real food and not pureed rice mush once a day. My oldest wasn't interested in food much at all. He would try some but didn't eat substantial amounts until after 15 months. This is totally normal. Just for fun before age one is the saying. My second and third children were much more interested in food but they still nursed a lot until I weaned the 2nd at 2 1/2 years and the 3rd is still nursing at 2 1/2 with no signs of wanting to stop.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Mezzanine posted:

I'm kind of reluctant to ask this, but has anyone ever dealt with a really, really late potty-training?

My daughter is 3 1/2, and she's only managed to use the toilet once or twice. If we ask her to get on her toilet seat, she'll gladly sit there and play with the toilet paper. We've tried everything we can think of to make her go:

Yes, I know this is well into the "you should probably devote all your time to fixing this" stage, but for a plethora of reasons we haven't been able to focus on it. I would really appreciate any advice. Thanks.

This is not really really late! I would not spend all of your time trying to fix this. She might figure it out easier when she's with a class of other kids doing it. My second son pottytrained like a month before his 4th birthday. I would personally probably back off from pushing it. Other people go with a different method, sitting them on the toilet every 15 minutes and giving them a reward (like chocolate mmm) when they pee. Making the potty a super fun place where you read books and relax, etc.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Lyz posted:

So, I'm a bit at a loss as to what to do with my 17 month old. He's a drat clever kid, he'll go up to the fridge if it's open, grab something he likes and hand it to you to feed to him. The problem stems from our two weeks down in Florida with Grandma, who couldn't resist those pleading eyes and fed him cheese sticks, applesauces, yogurt tubes and fruit all throughout the day, and I kind of let it slide because hey, that's what grandmothers do and as long as it's all healthy stuff fine by me.

The problem is now he's standing at the fridge all the time, like an hour after a good-sized breakfast he's staring at me and whining at the fridge handle. I'm really trying to manage it so that he actually has appetite for meals by not letting him constantly graze, but is he really old enough that he wants to eat just for the sake of eating or is he doing it because he's actually hungry? He's got a fair amount of chub despite being an active little guy, so I'm trying to find the balance between feeding a growing child and keeping him from developing overeating habits and I'm torn.

(Also on the downside he's obsessed with blueberries, which I would be all like "yay a healthy snack eat as many as you like" but it seems to only make him constipated. Also it makes his poo disturbingly sweet smelling.)

It's super normal for toddlers to graze all day. I would get some snacks you don't care about him eating all day like carrots cut into small sticks, apple slices, etc, and put those in a place he can get them in between meals and other snack times. Some people use a muffin tin and fill it with snacks and put it on a table the kids can reach and that's their snack tray for the day.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Acrolos posted:

So my child is just under a month old and things have been going pretty well prior to the past 4-5 days, as it relates to sleep. Lately, she will only sleep if being held. If we lay her down, regardless of where, she will fuss, whine, cry, etc. occasionally we will sneak an hour out of her, but for the most part, she only likes to be held.

According to all of the experts, you can't hold your child too much at this stage...but with her so reliant on constantly being held, I'm worried that if we don't start forcing her to stay down more we will have a child that refuses to sleep without one of us holding her.

Any thoughts or similar experiences?

She's way too young for you to establish anything routine-wise. Babies need to be held. You cannot spoil your baby by holding her too much.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Acrolos posted:

I understand that, and that's what all of the experts say. My issue is that she refuses anything BUT being held. 24 hours a day, she demands it, and if she isn't being held, she's crying, whining, and fussy. As much as I'd like to hold my baby for 24 straight hours, it's just not feasible. My wife and I are at a loss and operating on about three full days of no sleep as a result of it.

I'm not really worried about spoiling her as much as I am concerned about her refusal to sleep on anything that isn't one of us.

I'm not sure what you're asking. You shouldn't be concerned about her wanting to sleep on people right now. That's what babies do in the early months. It's completely normal.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Acrolos posted:

It may be "normal", but operating on zero sleep (I truly mean no sleep at all) for 72 hours, I'm not sure hw I can be an effective parent, regardless of how normal it is. That is very concerning for me. I am delirious and have almost dropped her a few times because I am basically a walking zombie because of such a severe lack of sleep.

Switch off. One parent watches the baby and the other sleeps. Do you have family nearby who could watch the baby in the house while you guys sleep in the other room? No sleep definitely sucks. I don't think the answer is leaving the baby to cry though. You're not asking questions so I'm not sure what to suggest. ;)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Gounads posted:

My 1-year-old has finally broken his top front two teeth through. YAY!! That was a month of misery.

But now, he grinds those new teeth against his bottom two. Loudly. Should I be worried? Anything to do about it?

Totally normal. Nothing to do about it. Usually they stop. It is a horrible sound though, ugh.

My 7 year old still grinds while he sleeps and the dentist said they don't do mouth guards or anything until they're older. It makes my skin crawl.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

crazyvanman posted:

My daughter, Katalina, is now 8 months old and pretty much all her life she's absolutely hated going in the car. She's sometimes alright for about 2 minutes, but then she really screams her head off and just doesn't stop. When she's tired it's fine - she'll just get to sleep pretty quickly and then probably won't wake up for at least an hour. But when she's not tired, she just screams and screams. We'e had a horrible couple of journeys where we've had to stop several times, but we fairly quickly learnt that we just have to plan when we go out so that in coincides with her wanting to sleep. It's not a huge problem but does sort of limit us sometimes, and it would be nice if she could enjoy the car like I'm told most other babies do!

Is there anything we can do about it? Toys/keys/phones can help for a short amount of time, but sometimes if she's going to cry she's just going to cry no matter what. Sometimes singing, loud music or loud fans also work for a minute or two but then she'll scream over it.

Is she still in a bucket seat? Sometimes they like convertibles better. They're more upright.

My youngest kid hated the carseat until she was over a year. :( It sucked so you have my sympathies.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I'm sorry you're getting all that pressure. I never cried it out with any of my kids and I promise I'm not still nursing the 7 and 5 year old and they go to sleep on their own in their own room.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Capslock Holmes posted:

Yeah, definitely. Be consistent and don't give in to their complaining, it'll only make it worse.

You could also try set tv time-- set an hour or two or whatever you're comfortable with (keyword there is you, not them) and that's all the time they get.

Yes. I would agree with setting a TV time and sticking to it. There will be whining as they adjust to the new schedule but TOO BAD. That pirate ship is awesome.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Oxford Comma posted:

The pirate ship *is* awesome and the kids absolutely ignore it. It really only gets used about 3-4 times a year when we have other kids over.

Have you gone in the pirate ship and played pretend with them? :) Sometimes that's all that's needed to set the ball in motion.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Rearfacing is so much safer that I wouldn't flip them before 2 years unless there was a medical indication. My daughter is still rearfacing at 2 1/2. One of my sons made it to almost-3 and the other was just past 3 before we turned them around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

SassySally posted:

Don't they get too tall? Like aren't their legs all bunched up?

It's totally safe for kids' legs to be crossed or dangling over the sides of the seat, or folded when rearfacing. It's much safer than being front-facing.

http://thestir.cafemom.com/toddler/120133/Proof_That_Older_Taller_Kids