Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
As for Part I - that was my first son for over a year. Have you tried laying down with him when he's tired, nursing him to sleep, and then popping him off the nipple and leaving the room? I was able to do that for quite a while. Some nights it wouldn't work, particularly if he was teething or sick, but often it would.

If you can get your husband on board with helping you with some of your prep stuff for the next day that would help also. Even if you just had a list of things that were absolutely necessary and asked him to do those in the event that you can't escape the baby.

As for Part II, he definitely sounds like he's not in a good place. Others have offered good suggestions on his mental health and getting out of the house so I'll leave that. As for dinner, maybe he would be receptive to you asking him to make a particular thing? Or you could help him to meal plan and grocery shop for the week on the weekends so he wouldn't have to come up with the meal or get ingredients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Agree that the WHO charts would be a million times better than the creepy baby.

Push notifications that the user could turn on and off and could set the timers on could be useful. I usually know when the kid needs to go to bed and I feed him whenever he wants but sometimes I miss the signs and then realize he's been up for 3 hours or something.

As an aside, I use BabyESP and the scheduler function is quite useful in realizing when the kid needs to cut down the nap numbers or how nap times are influencing bedtime.

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Diaper bags- also recommending JuJuBe. I have a Packabe and love it.

Cups- we have http://amzn.com/B005XTKIBO this one and I love it. It doesn't leak when it is closed and it's very easy for him to use. I don't like cups with handles though :)

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
A full buckle carrier is going to be the easiest possible thing you could use.

I'd recommend not just saying no to things like woven wraps/ring slings/mei tai just because they have a learning curve though. They are very easy to use once you learn them and you said you have a group nearby where people are crazy about wraps. That means that you are lucky enough to live near people who can teach you.

Learning how to wrap is possible using videos and pictures but much easier if you have a person to teach you. On top of that the group near you likely either has a lending library or at the least people who would allow you to borrow things to see what you like! And you can make friends! Win/win/win try it out ;)

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Have you checked her for tears or taken her to the pediatrician on a day she had blood in the stool to have the ped check for tears? Even if not constipated babies can manage to get fissures (don't ask me how, I only know this because it has happened to me) and then that causes blood in the diaper of course, without it actually being blood in the stool. Of course that only applies if it looks red ;)

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Elimination diets suck a lot. Soy and Milk are particularly annoying because they seem to be in everything and not always under names that make it obvious what they are. On top of that they take forever to get out of your system.

My son started having issues with his stool around 5 months old and I eliminated dairy and soy. This was really hard for me because I eat a ton of dairy. I eat a lot of yogurt and cheese, I drink a ton of milk, ice cream is my favorite. But I did it anyway because breastfeeding was important to me but so was having a healthy kid. While eliminating I was eating a lot of chicken and veg or PB in oatmeal. We went to visit family for Thanksgiving and at that point I had been on the elimination diet for long enough for the dairy and soy to be out of my system but there was no improvement. A few days into the trip his diapers got better.

It was interesting because I had planned to stay off the dairy/soy for a while and then do the full on eliminate everything diet after the trip (because trying to eliminate every possible allergen when I was out of town and 100% of my food was cooked by other people was too daunting to me) and bring things back in one at a time. I didn't want to START with eliminating everything right off because what a giant pain would that be if it turned out milk was the issue- you could potentially end up eating an extremely limited diet for like 3 or 4 weeks straight. So I wanted all the milk/soy out of my system before I tried eliminating all the other possibilities since they take less time.

After getting home it occurred to me that I hadn't had any peanut butter on the trip. So I stopped eating peanut butter and started eating dairy and soy again and everything was good after that.

If the blood is coming and going and isn't in every diaper you really should try being EXTREMELY careful with the dairy and soy elimination and then write down everything you eat to see if there is a pattern. Most other things don't take nearly as long to get out and therefore it is easier to just eliminate all the major allergens, see if problem goes away, then add in one thing at a time to make sure it stays away.

Or, if that is too much work, formula.

enitsirk fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 18, 2013

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005

DwemerCog posted:

Ugh, I'd sooner give up bread. Hummus is good as long as I scour the ingredients for that damned soybean oil which is in everything.

If this is true then I can eat a lot more stuff. Although I have no idea how to know whether the soy oil used as additives in regular food is highly refined or not.

If you suspect eggs absolutely give up eggs for a week and see what happens. If baby is better try adding them back in as a test to see if they cause the issue.

Also read MSPI sites, you don't have to be as careful with soy as with dairy. Things that contain soybean oil or soy lecithin are *usually* fine.

Also try a different brand of almond butter. Some of them are better than others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enitsirk
Jun 9, 2005
Crazy babywearing lady hat on -

Baby bjorns aren't very ergonomic. There isn't anything actually proving that the way baby sits in them is bad for the baby's legs/hips, but it certainly doesn't look very comfortable for baby. Beyond that, when baby is in a more seated position it is more comfortable for the wearer.

I'd recommend going with a beco or an ergo vs bjorn for an easily available buckle carrier. The price point is similar. The infantino union also looks decent and is significantly cheaper than ergo/beco.

The most versatile thing you can get is a woven wrap but wraps have a learning curve and are not for everybody. Even though I love wraps, I tend to go for the buckle carriers if I'm doing errands.

Hookerbot try putting baby in the mei tai HIGH on your back so she can see over your shoulder!