Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

remigious posted:

On that note, at what age do kids typically start sleeping with stuffed animals?

It's safe around 9-12 months or so, once you're past the SIDS period. Our daughter didn't really care about them until 18 months, though, and she still doesn't have favorites at 2.5 yrs. Whichever one she hasn't seen in a while gets its fifteen minutes of fame, and then on to whatever's next while the others have a tea party at the foot of the bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Three weeks until pre-school starts for our toddler. This is of course the perfect time to regress and decide that nope, not gonna tell you when I need to go potty anymore. loving great. :v:

The zero tolerance policies toward potty accidents we keep finding at daycares and preschools are just insane to me. Kids are gonna have accidents; poo poo happens (sometimes literally) and probably relatively often for kids due to anxiety/excitement if they're just starting a program. Blah.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

I would absolutely love to hear anyone else's suggestions for getting a three year old to stay in his room after bedtime instead of popping out 50 times with different bullshit requests.

He has toys, he has games, he has books, he has a light, he has a cup of water, and he has already gone to the bathroom. Multiple times. He just keeps popping out and making up some excuse on the spot until we tell him the next time he tries it we have to lock the door (with a glide lock at the top which we release when he's asleep on the monitor).

Will he climb over a baby gate? We keep ours imprisoned safely contained with a baby gate that she hasn't yet done the math on and realized couldn't contain her if she put half an ounce of effort into it. :v:

E: Our recent fun is that she has learned the concept of death (at the most basic level) and reminds us throughout the day that we are getting old and will die soon. If I stop posting, it means my daughter is The One and controls the reaper, so you should all send tribute.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bee posted:

We both had a good laugh about it because I've told her that until she gets to high school there's no expectation that she does her homework. Both her Dad and I think that kids should get to relax or exercise in the time after school!

Just to ask - does your HS district not fast/slow-track its students based on their elementary school / middle school performance? My first HS would put you in different tiers of classes depending on your grades in 6th to 8th-year classes.

We just had the parent-teacher meet and greet for our kid's preschool. There were a few little surprises, but nothing too out of the ordinary I guess? The biggest combo surprise to me was the expectation of packing a spare change of clothes, but paired with the rule that teachers are not permitted to touch the students. Pants up/down for potty, etc etc, has to be entirely child-driven so dress your kid accordingly. This of course begs the question (which I'm going to call them about - I had to keep an eye on the wee bean while my wife went to the meeting): how the heck are you expecting to change the kid without touching them? Or do they expect three-year-olds to be capable of fully changing themselves out of wet clothes into dry ones?

I'm also curious to see how "do not touch the students" holds up the first time kids start fighting, or there's a tantrum from hell. We've (thankfully) come a long way since the 80s and front-of-the-room paddlings in front of the class and all that, but :shrug: at the hands-tied nature of "no touching the kids." Hopefully my wife misunderstood and they meant "no touching the kids in the bathroom" or something a bit more limited.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

extravadanza posted:

Surely that's not a hard rule, just like an expectation that your kid can usually handle going to the bathroom on their own...

e: are teachers not allowed to give hugs? That's literally the first thing my 3yo does at preschool is give his teacher a big hug....

We'll find out next week! :haw: My wife seemed to think it was a hard rule, and it matches the rules at other daycares and preschools we looked at before this one. They've all been pretty strong on "your kid has to be 100% capable or gtfo" so we'll see. On the classroom interactions, I have no idea. "No touching kids" feels really overboard to me, so I'm hoping it was a misinterpretation or a misspeak.

I don't know how you can have a no-touch Montessori program. Like, the poo poo you do with kids on a day to day basis practically demands it.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 1, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
“Daddy!”
“Yes.”
“Daddyyyyy!”
“What?”
“DADDYYYYYY!”
“I said WHAT?”
“I have cancer in my lungs.” *looks so proud*
:wtc:

Now begins the game of “who the gently caress said what around the toddler, and does anyone need to tell me anything important?”

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bee posted:

Could it be from the tv? Public health advertising was pretty attractive to my kid when she was too little to understand what it was, I guess the graphics or the serious tone of the voice over caught her attention.

It ended up being from one of those stupid GeoBeats pet videos. My wife watches 1-3 videos of those with her as part of the pre-bedtime rituals, and they'd watched one the night before where a woman was talking about how adopting an immunocompromised parrot helped her come to terms with her lung cancer or some poo poo like that.

Day One of preschool was a complete success. The "no touching the children" rule ended up being specifically "while their pants are off, etc etc." Drawstrings, buttons, etc, all just fine. They want fewer of them in general because that's one fewer thing to deal with, but "no touch" was specific to literal, actual toilet usage and underwear. My daughter is excited for her second day and was all but exploding with delight when I told her that she got to go not once or twice, but EVERY DAY!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Mind_Taker posted:

Pro tip: 3 years old is the worst age to take kids to Disney World. We’ve found that out this week!

My 3 yr old daughter loved it.

Her grandparents were expressly forbidden from taking her there while she visited, they did it anyway, and then they brought her back home to me with COVID, likely contracted at Disney World.

Guess how happy I am with them?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Watching nature documentaries with 3-yr-old daughter today. The chain of questions went like this...

1) Why do animals live in the ocean?
2) Why is life everywhere?
3) Do animals in the ocean die?
4) Will the earth die? Is the earth an animal?
5) Does everything die?
6) If everything dies, why do we live?

It took her six questions to complete her theology degree. Good job, kid; you can start drinking now.

E: She also asked: if the earth is full of lava and volcanos make lava come out of the earth, will the earth get empty? I loved this one too, but it's a bit less existential.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 2, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Told my nearly-three-yo he couldn't peek between his fingers while counting during hide and seek

He threw himself prostrate upon the floor and wept aloud for several minutes

My 3yo daughter still doesn't get the point of hide and seek. She tells me to cover my eyes and count while she hides, and then when I say ready or not, she screams and charges out of the bushes to catch me.

She also decided to hug everyone in her preschool class on Friday and has now missed M/Tu due to developing pneumonia over the weekend. We're waiting for test results to see what hilarious little bug she contracted (or gave to her entire class?) during the hugfest.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
"I lost my voice yesterday and couldn't talk. My bones got all mixed up and my calories went away. But now my calories are back and I can talk again."

Also, I have been asked to play a game of Bat-tiki, which apparently involves making clay bats and ghosts and shouting "BOO" as we throw them at each other. We need to get them at the Bat-tiki store, which is of course a place that exists. I got her to agree that playdough and halloween cookie cutters are the same thing, at least.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Daddy play with me.
Daddy watch me dance. No, over here. Watch me dance on the stair landing stage. No, don't clap. Stand there and watch me.
Daddy I'm lonely. I need you to play with me. *is actively playing with her*
Daddy face me. Daddy watch me. Look at me Daddy.
*repeat on loop for 12 hours*

Followed by...
Daddy can I sleep in the bed with you and Mommy? Look at me. Let me sleep on your hand. Cuddle now. *sneezes in my face*

"[Daughter name], you need to play by yourself for a bit. I'm trying to work. Play by yourself with your toys."
"Daddy I can't."
"Why not?"
"That's impossible."

Add to this that if I'm not around, you can substitute in the word "Mommy" and it'll still fit perfectly. She's about 3y10mo and in the last month is suddenly incapable of being alone or playing on her own ever if we're around. I'm sure she'll move past it, but drat it's frustrating right now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
One of these days, my daughter is going to realize that there is nothing standing between her and the downstairs but her own two legs and a willingness to get out of bed. There hasn't been a baby gate for like two months now.

She can open doors. She can move her kitchen stool. She can open refrigerators. Somehow, she's never put two and two together to realize that 2+2=Snacks in the middle of the night, because Daddy saying it's bedtime still counts for something I guess?

It'll be a sad day when she realizes the power & freedom she's been ignoring. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

I can't put enough attention into my son. He always wants more! I am finite, please

This is really tough! On one hand, I'm glad our daughter loves our attention. On the other hand, god almighty please learn to self-entertain already.

I understand why people have kids young; there's just not enough energy to go around when you're 40+ and have a 3 yr old.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My preschooler’s thing right now is volcanoes. She brought a baking soda volcano to school for show and tell and has been asked to bring it back for the other class tomorrow now because it was a big hit with hers.

There are few things on earth as awesome as the smile of a kid who feels proud of herself. :3:

Apparently she spent like 10 min straight babbling about Krakatoa before my wife got her to focus on actually setting the thing off. :lol:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Socialization question for you fine folks - I'd like your anecdata. :)

My daughter is almost four, and is in pre-school right now in a Montessori program that I like. It's a fairly low-budget school, but that's a good thing to me. No tablets, everything's simple, and importantly, she is not surrounded by entitled little techbro children. She's the only Caucasian student in her class, but that's not a bad thing IMO, pretty normal for this town in terms of demographics, and the majority of her class speak English fluently. She can continue preschool again next year (I'm already enrolling her for summer session) at the same school, or she could enter the public school TK program.

The public school TK program has a few things I'm not sure about with it, though. First is that she'd be going from about 8 kids per class room to 20-35 depending on the school she is accepted into. We have a school literally across the street from us who would likely be given to her, but you're only guaranteed one in the town, not the one most local to you. The other thing, though, is that all the schools near us are either Spanish bilingual alternative programs or dual-language immersion with focus on getting Spanish speakers capable in English. She speaks English only currently. Sure, it'd be kind of cool if she got an early head start on Spanish, but I'm a little nervous about her socialization outside of the core classroom element. Based on the provided demographics for the school across the street, a 30 person TK classroom would have 1-3 total English-primary kids, with rest being Spanish-primary, and a >50% being English-insufficient. The pessimist in me sees her being isolated from her classmates simply by language barrier and the rest having plenty of easier kids to play with at recess than that one girl who doesn't speak the same language as the rest of them. Meanwhile, I like her current school and the two main teachers are pretty great.

I prefer the societal idea of having more kids in public school and fewer private schools, but I also don't want to set my daughter up for a miserable time, bullying, or isolation from her classmates. I am a parent, therefore I am catastrophizing. :)

Anyone had a similar experience and have thoughts on this?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

Man I dunno how you parents without a village to rely on do it.

We live in California. Her parents live in WI and mine live in NY. To make the start more fun, our daughter was born about two weeks before the Mar Covid shutdown in 2020.

The only saving grace was that I got to be home and help for the first year because of COVID. The social isolation of baby + almost nobody else for two full years was incredible. I’d say that the way you “do it” is you have to internalize that you, as an individual, do not exist or matter for the next X years. No, there will be no date nights unless you find a vaccinated babysitter and budget $150 extra for the evening. No, you don’t get to sleep. No, you don’t have hobbies. You don’t get to go on vacations, at least not ones you want to do (and early infancy none at all). You’re not a person, you’re a parent.

Then slowly as the kid gets older, you introduce the old you back into the picture little by little.

The important part is internalizing it as just how things are, so you don’t either drive yourself crazy waiting for something years away or show resentment toward the kid.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

wizzardstaff posted:

You know what you definitely shouldn't do during this time period? Have a midlife crisis and realize you've spent three decades in the wrong gender and need absolutely right now, more than you ever have in your life, to establish your identity as an individual person.

I'm gonna have to take your word for it, but jfc that sounds like it'd suck to go through while keeping a tiny human alive.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
4 yr old has discovered Zaboomafoo and I’m not sure if I’m in hell or not. I definitely feel super, super old now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Renegret posted:

It's amazing how hard having one kid is. Then how hard having two kids is. Then how easy going back to one kid is.

Casually confessing to murder on SomethingAwful is pretty standard now that I think of it. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
A sunny day at the park...

Daughter: "Nobody will play with me."
Me: "Nobody's going to invite you, sweetie. Go up and ask them. Just walk up and say hi, and then you can play in the sandbox with them."
Daughter listens, goes up to the two kids in the sandbox.
Daughter: "Can I play with you?"
Other Kids: "No. Go away."

:wtc:

I was not expecting that outcome and had no other grand advice prepared. :lol:

I swear, the poor girl has terrible luck with kids in public. Half the time they speak zero english and just stare at her (the most understandable option - heavily hispanic town and she is not), sometimes they just refuse to play outright, and it also blows my mind what words 4-5 yr olds know these days. "Want to play hide and seek?" "gently caress you." Like, WHAT?