Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
My three month old laughed for the first time last night. It surprised both him and us (I think he laughed because we were laughing at a joke and he got excited?) and yes, that is definitely one of the best things that has happened to me in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

The screen time thing has always just felt like a moralistic stance from parents/people who can more easily afford to "non screen time" parent their kids, and my assumption was that any sort of ill effects seen in higher screen time kids is just correlated with lower socioeconomic status.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Jesus gently caress I genuinely cannot tell if I have always been this clumsy, or if having a kid granted me the ability to make loud noises at the most inopportune times. Bump into every door frame, leave phone lying on the counter in such a way that it immediately crashes to the floor, step on the exact right creaky floorboard, etc.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

My only tip re: sleep training is that it hurts you way more than it hurts them. I honestly feel like the “go check on them every X minutes” thing is more to assuage parental guilt than it is to reassure the baby.

You’re going to feel guilty for like a week and then you’ll realize it was the right thing to do for both you and your kid

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

My wife and I would occasionally watch Odd Tinkering videos on YouTube while she was pregnant, and she had the idea that they’d be a good thing to show our kid if we needed a distraction.

https://youtu.be/DwOolA5NE-U

Our kid (14 months) still won’t watch TV, too much of a busybody, but I like the idea. Basically something soothing, focused, and intentional, with emphasis on the use of fine motor skills. No idea if it’ll eventually translate.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

What is everybody's transit time to their daycare, or how much extra time does going to daycare add to your one way commute

Mine is 20 minutes one way, but I WFH so it's 40 minutes morning + 40 minutes afternoon = almost an hour and a half a day of driving for childcare

Hello wow are you me? Literally my exact same commute situation. Used to commute 45 minutes each way for work, then was able to switch to full-time WFH for the same role and felt real smug about not having a commute, now have a little one in daycare and I drive just as much

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Giant Metal Robot posted:

Let me just grab this glass container to put the leftovers in... poo poo, how did I drop this?... Three bounces?!?!?... Still asleep? Ummm... Ok?

This is my experience, except on the way up from squatting to pick up the container my elbow knocks over a glass on the counter that shatters and then wakes the baby

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Our daycare doesn’t permit explicit Valentines stuff because of their anti-bias policy, so we can’t give out stuff with hearts or Cupid, etc. Makes it a little easier in that it essentially restricts it to treats/snacks. Same thing with Halloween.

Not sure what about Valentine’s falls into the anti-bias category but I’ll take it

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Shifty Pony posted:

Mrs Pony and I have off today but daycare is open.

Lucky! I have today off, wife doesn’t, daycare is closed. Gonna take the little one to the beach or something I guess. Have to be real careful with pre-nap excursions these days because the kid is wont to fall asleep on the way home and ruin their nap

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

I started pantomiming an exaggerated “mmm mmm mmm!” for a good meal the other day, while I rubbed my stomach for effect. My kid is now confused by this and goes “mmm mmm, please!” while rubbing his stomach when he enjoys something (because a chest rub is sign language for “please”)

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Glad we’re not the only family! Though currently only apples and pears are apples. I think it’s because we cut them with the same device, maybe if I cut an orange with the apple slicer it, too, will become an apple

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Never got the tar poop with my kid, he took a normal yellow-brown dump on me during our first skin-to-skin after he was born

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Finally took a step back from attempting to potty train our 23-month old. He kinda sorta got it, but it’s mostly not sticking. He can go when prompted *and* when he feels like it, but he can’t really communicate well/in time. Daycare agrees it’s too soon as well. Gonna hope to revisit in another couple months.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

In his mind he was playing 4D chess to eliminate all other options and force you to have no choice but to give him the cookie, I think the logic is sound

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

External Organs posted:

When I was 6-7 I was convinced I had HIV and Leukemia because my arm was sore. I had a full meltdown in the bathtub.

I'm not sure why I thought that. I think I snuck a peak at some late night news my parents were watching when I was supposed to go to sleep.

Same here, looking back it was definitely because I was watching Jerry Springer “kids with AIDS” or something to that effect during the summer doldrums.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

SixFigureSandwich posted:

22mo old learned a new word.

Her: pita! (pizza)
Me: we don't have any pizza
Her: buy!

Well fuckin buy the pizza then god damnit :mad:

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Im gonna be a rad dad in 6 months.

Sup thread?

Welcome friend. Your life is going to change forever very soon. It’s going to be awesome and scary and infuriating and wonderful, consider investing in a Snoo

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

We switched to a Hatch light on a schedule with my 2.5 year old and it’s worked wonders. Bedtime had ballooned to an hour and a half ordeal with tantrums after we left the room, and in retrospect I think it’s because our departure time wasn’t easily predictable to his little brain. Now orange light means mom and dad can play, blue means we leave the room but he can play alone, green means bedtime. It’s worked flawlessly and bedtime is now back to 45 minutes start to finish (I just jinxed myself).

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

My 2.5 year old can operate a locked door too, as well as a door with a child-proofing sleeve over it. The combo of the two actually does deter him though. I can turn the on-knob latch by putting my fingers through the sleeve, and he doesn’t have long enough fingers to do that yet. Might be worth a shot!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Our toddler has started consistently pooping in the potty and it feels life-changing. Previously his routine was to wait until bedtime was over, then poop into a pullup over and over and over, requiring 3+ changes, making a mess, etc.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

The kid has outgrown his Nuna carseat, so we bought a big rotating seat to keep in the car, but we kinda need a second one for travel/the nanny share/my pickup in case of emergency. Just something basic; is Cosco still the go-to?

This is what we use to stash at my parents’ so we don’t have to take the big one on the plane with us, works well enough!

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

Congratulations. We've just gone through this with our 3yo. Something just clicked in his head and we haven't had nappies (except at night) or accidents for a couple weeks.

I am so over nappies. One kid to go.

It truly is astounding how it just clicks one day. Felt like the day was never coming with our toddler, and the pooping situation was a nightmare to deal with at night (going in pull-ups over...and over...and over...) and then one day he decided he wanted to use his toilet and that was that.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Can someone please explain why positional asphyxiation is such a big deal for sleeping in something like a Baby Bjorn bouncer and not a car seat?

I know all the studies, I know all the recommendations, so please don’t spam me with links, etc. I’m just trying to make sense of why sleeping in a car seat for an hour and a half (provided it’s installed and restrained correctly) is okay, but a bouncer that makes the same angle to horizontal is not. If I have my eyes on my kid with a monitor and she’s not rolling over onto her face, what exactly is different? Is it the shoulder straps?

I swear some of these studies are providing excessively broad recommendations for parents that severely hosed up (like their kid could roll, and they let the kid sleep in the thing overnight, etc.).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It's generally not advised to let an infant sleep in their car seat. You let them sleep in the car seat when they are in the car because what the gently caress else are you going to do?

Wake them up constantly so that they’re miserable and crying but definitely breathing