Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Any general tips for raising twin boys? How did you handle birthdays, presents, older sibling jealousy, etc.?

They're almost 48 hours old and it's been fascinating to see the differences in their personality. I'm glad this is kid number 2 and 3, I can't imagine doing twins for your first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well, it's good to have things in mind as they come up. One thing we've already decided on is to very cognizant of not encouraging competition between them, I imagine they will do plenty of that themselves. :hfive:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

KingColliwog posted:

Tell us how it goes. We're having ours in a september or so and it's pretty overwhelming already.

Almost 6 months in now, and life is finally starting to get easier. We had a ton of help from family on both sides, basically 24x7 help for almost 4 months. As the boys have started to sleep through the night, we've been able to scale back help. My wife is a teacher so she is able to take an extended maternity leave. At this point she is handling all three by herself most days, with the oldest going to preschool two days a week.

The oldest is adjusting, it's taking her some time (and discipline) to adjust to not being the only source of mommy and daddy's affection. The last couple of weeks she's seemed to Get It for now, with minimal fits/cooldowns.

Life is still crazy but we can be out the door in 15 mins after dinner to go for a walk on the local trail or whatever.

Good luck!

Obligatory:

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Oct 25, 2017

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
They're super happy babies and have unique personalities, so it's been fun to see how they develop differently. Since we weren't first time parents that helped a ton; we knew how the hell to keep them alive and just needed to figure out how to make two work. Major props to my wife she is a badass and has been breastfeeding both since day one.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If our 3 year old comes out of her room more than twice at bedtime or tries to come into our bed in the middle of the night more than once, we zip-tie the release on the baby gate on her door so it can't open. She could (and has in the past) knocked the gate over since it's one of those that just expands but thankfully that hasn't crossed her mind. We keep the non-video monitor in her room so we'll know if she's up and needs something.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We try and minimize screen time as much as possible, but dammit if I'm not gonna plop the 3 year old in front of a Disney movie on a Friday night when it's just me, the wife is out with friends, and I gotta get these two guys to bed:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

spacetoaster posted:

The trick I used was to drop a cheerio in the toilet and tell him to try and hit it.

Genius, I'm gonna have to remember that one when it's that time for the twins. Our bissel handheld carpet cleaner gets enough of a workout as it is, though accidents with the oldest are getting to be very few and far between.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Twins that are teething is absolute hell.

That is all.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Wife left right after dinner for an evening out with friends, so I had the 3yo and 8mo twins all to myself. Got the boys bathed and down by 730, and the 3yo down by 830. Sometimes you feel like you have this parenting thing figured out.

Then it’ll all change tomorrow.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The twins are starting with self-feeding solid food.

We need a dog.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’ve watched that episode so many times, thankfully it’s included in prime video!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Oh boy, it appears that the flu has appeared in our household. That’s gonna make for a fun weekend!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Littlest of the twins definitely has it, swab came back positive and he’s running a 101.9 temperature, poor guy. The wife has also been feeling crummy for the last 24 hours, and with the way the three year old was acting I bet she’s fighting it off too.

Tamiflu for everyone!

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 27, 2018

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Axiem posted:

We finally got rid of that loving swing. :feelsgood:

loving amen, x2. Granted we borrowed one from some friends but still, two goddamn swings takes up a lot of space. No more jumparoo or any crap like that, it’s almost like we have our living room back!

Hahaha who am I kidding there’s still baby toys everywhere.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Pretty much! Opinions about the NRA aside, their youth safety education program is pretty good: https://eddieeagle.nra.org/

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Flying tomorrow with two 10 month olds and their 3yo sister, car seats, etc.

God help us.

You’re drat right we’re dressing them identically, we’re gonna need all the sympathy we can get.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
drat all three were awesome yesterday. The boys were well behaved and only cried a little bit before falling asleep. The 3yo was a trooper, although she did get motion sickness on the flight down and puked all over her chair after we landed and were still taxiing. The lady that was sitting next to her and my wife was an angel and helped clean it up, since I was in the row behind due to only one infant per row allowed.

The lady right next to me can gently caress right off though, she was talking poo poo not quite under her breath about “karma owes me, this is my hell.” Lady, if I had any other option to go see my dad before he dies I wouldn’t be here, so how about you shut the gently caress up. I don’t like it either so how about you deal for an hour.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Man parenting is a gut punch sometimes. As referenced in my previous post, my dad just went into home hospice for acute leukemia.

My oldest today for the first time said “I love you daddy” as we were getting ready for bed.

No way I could keep it together after that even if I wanted to.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Mar 8, 2018

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We’re seeing that with our oldest. Her birthday is August 3rd, so she’s right at the date for cutoffs with age groups. When we had her in full time day care prior to the twins, we had her in the room of kids where she was way on the low end of the age range, and that seemed to help her develop faster.

At the two day a week preschool she’s in now she’s the oldest in the group and we aren’t seeing as much development. Then again, the daycare we had her in before was fantastic, but even so I think having her in a group that stretched and pushed her was a good thing.

We are leaning towards putting her in kindergarten as soon as possible instead of holding off a year for that very reason.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So my wife and her parents flew down for my dad’s funeral with all three kids. Her parents flew back early, then my wife and I flew home together. All three did awesome, the oldest kept it together and slept on the second flight, and both boys slept in our arms immediately after takeoff.

Some of the double-takes from people were hilarious.

and lol of course security was a nightmare, we had three carryons, a double stroller, two pumpkin seats and bases in bags for gate check, a laptop, and iPad, liquids , etc.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Mar 21, 2018

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I think we’re finally getting the hang of this twin thing. Wife woke up, pumped, and left to go have coffee with a friend. As soon as both boys woke up, I fed them bottles then their older sister and I made pancakes for everyone. Chocolate chip pancakes were a hit!

Everyone is now playing quietly together, it’s great.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Frosted sugar cookies for guests, the twins each got a huge cupcake that they demolished. :3:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
all the kids are...challenging right now. The oldest got the idea of “scared of the dark” from a book, so we have been fighting that for the past week. She wants the lamp on, but then stays up playing in her room and closet until super late.

The boys have been waking up a lot more, both from sickness/rashes as well as unfortunately waking each other up sometimes. Last night we got the kids to bed, I ran 13 miles, got back and ate some food, and right as I was about to turn on the the shower at around 1130 the monitor turns on, and I go hold one of them for 45 minutes.

He then woke up for the day at 530.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Daniel tiger has backfired on us. One of the episodes, baby margaret is afraid of the dark. Our almost 4yo has picked up on this concept and now claims the same and insists on having her closet light on. Of course she doesn’t fall asleep and plays with her toys. I’m taking out the closet lightbulb today before bedtime so hopefully that’s enough.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The town fireworks got moved to a temporary location this year due to construction. The temp launching site was less than a mile from our house.

The twins haven’t stirred the whole time, and the almost 4yo was a champ staying up that late for fireworks, she didn’t get to bed until 1045. We could walk half a mile to a field outside our neighborhood to watch the fireworks. I’m sure she passed out within minutes of hitting the pillow.

poo poo, parenting is under control right now. When is that gonna change again?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Have a retention strap for the pacifier(s).

Maybe doesn’t apply so much at 4 months but you don’t want to have to try and pick it up if it gets dropped.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I turned around for all of two minutes yesterday and the boys got into the pantry, got down some cookies, and had already stuffed their mouths full. I look forward to future cooperative hijinks. :allears:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
The real reason cozy coupes have cup holders...

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I had to take a PTO day a couple of weeks ago because just one of the boys was sick and couldn’t go to daycare. I originally was going to try to WFH but you try explaining that to a 15 month old that just wants daddy to read him books. It was actually kind of nice to be able to focus and spend time with just one kid for once.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I think one of the twins has a weird reaction to citrus. If he eats some oranges for breakfast, his poop in the afternoon/evening can turn his bottom red almost instantly if you don’t catch it immediately.

He just woke up screaming because he was already super red from today and then pooped some more, poor guy. No more mandarin oranges for breakfast!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of the twins will straight up do pratfalls for people’s entertainment, the other day he was launching himself off a single step down to a living room area inside a house at a play date. Repeatedly.

You do you, buddy, but physics is gonna take over one of these days and I hope it doesn’t result in a broken arm!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We do the same thing for photos but with an iCloud photo stream, everyone in our direct family has iPhones so that was the easy choice.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Cocks Cable posted:

Brought the baby home today and the cat is not thrilled. The cat steers mostly clear of the baby but has hissed a several times. Should I be concerned? How do I get the cat to chill and warm up to the new baby?

Feliway, can’t hurt might help.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Three small children crying at once? Just a normal Thursday night now I guess!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Paci retainer is a must.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DaveSauce posted:

So first question: any suggestions for nap time for a 15 month old?

Any suggestions? The last time we flew was infant in arms and she was still breast feeding.

Also how do you get regular milk through security? I checked the TSA site and they only list formula, breast milk, and juice (?). Regular milk isn't on there... we have several 6oz cartons of shelf stable milk that we'd love to bring with for the flight, but I can't see how to get that through security.

Our oldest stopped taking naps right before 2, that time may be coming soon. As long as she was quiet in her room, we let her play until she decided she wanted to sleep or not. Eventually we just set a timer for her for rest time. It took a bit of training though, especially once she figured out how to climb the baby gate.

Skip the carseat and box/check it, carryon a stroller instead. Just put the kid in your lap, they can deal for a flight or two. Bring plenty of food/toys to keep the kid entertained and you will be fine. People are generally accommodating, they recognize the kind of hell you'll be in especially if you're doing everything in your power to keep the kid quiet. :) If you can get two seats side by side, great. One holds the kid, the other supports keeping everyone sane.

We flew with twin infants and (then) 3 year old girl back in march, with a layover. Then home with a layover. Then all over again one more time. With carseats for all three. We planned every detail and thank god the kids were champs, otherwise my anxiety would have been way higher than it was. The boys basically fell asleep right after takeoff on every flight and woke up just in time to eat some snacks and play a bit before landing. The oldest behaved well, we treated it like a big adventure, and she was responsible for keeping her elephant safe. We each had a baby in our lap and the oldest had a seat as well. Because there weren't enough masks in a row for everyone, we had to sit one row back from each other and pass stuff back and forth. We also had a twin umbrella stroller to deal with, as well as our carryons and all the poo poo we needed to keep the kids and us sane.

As long as it's for the baby they should let it through, but be prepared to dump/toss and buy inside depending on how the TSA is feeling that day. You will likely have to get it swabbed, so plan that time in.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Our oldest just finally decided she didn’t want to use it, we didn’t have to wean her off or anything. We just use an old iPhone with the sound sleepr app with the boys, a lot easier and more portable than having a dedicated sound machine you have to lug around with you.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If we didn’t have a massive amount of support from the in-laws during the first year of the twins lives I don’t know how we would have survived, it was pretty rough. Now that they’re almost two it’s a lot easier and they play with each other really well. Still can’t leave them unsupervised for too long or they’ll definitely find some trouble to get in to together though. :)

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Current weekend puke count and it’s only Saturday night! Parenting is fun!

Cat - once
Twin #1 - once
Twin #2 - three times

A bissel or other handheld wet vac is worth every penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

bomb posted:

Checking in, wife is 22 weeks along with boy/girl twins. First kids 😱

Good luck! I’m thankful we had our twin boys after our girl because we weren’t overwhelmed with keeping them alive, just everything else involved with managing two of everything. I’m sure your wife is on it, but look on Facebook in your area, there’s probably a “moms of multiples” group. We’ve picked up some good deals from that.

Set up as much support as you can. Our in-laws and my mom were awesome and traded off nights sleeping in the guest room down the hall with the door open.

Most importantly, support each other. It’s another level entirely with twins and it has definitely stretched and grown our marriage.