Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

CAUTION: This pussy is ferocious.

schwein11 posted:

So I have a 4.5 month old little dude who has been just a blast so far. He sleeps well, he's happy, he's growing, etc.

However, the back of his head is, for lack of a better term, mishapen.
Anyone else have experience with this? We're comforted by the fact that it's purely cosmetic, but we're still anxious about the helmet.

David had the same thing, at around the same age. We noticed he favored one side for laying down and looking around. We were referred to a physical therapist who diagnosed him with torticollis. We were given a home program to do with him, different exercises to make sure he developed both sides equally.

Our PT explained that we could do a helmet but that at such a young age, the skull is still flexible enough that the exercises are enough to get things back on track. David was actually discharged from therapy this week, and his head rounded out beautifully just from working with him.

Is there a reason you decided to go straight to the helmet? If your insurance covers it, a PT evaluation might be worth the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

bamzilla posted:

What kind of exercises does it entail? Moving their head when they're sleeping/napping?

At first, everything we did was focused on using the side he didn't favor. So that meant giving him bottles from the right, offering him toys from the right, putting him on his right side when we played and encouraging him to turn to the right. When we carried him around, we held him so he had to look to the right. As he gained skills, then we did things like use toys to entice him to pivot to the right. We also did balance exercises to strengthen his neck muscles, where we held him low and tilted him just far enough that he needed to work to hold his head straight up. Other things we did were to hold toys above his head so he had to look up up up to see them (and thus lift his head/curve his back more) and put toys a little bit elevated so that he had to reach up to get them.

These days, when I put him in his crib, he still automatically rolls over to his left side, but he has a symmetric crawl and reaches for things with both hands.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

We started wiping gums when we started introducing solids because we wanted to get David used to it from the get go.

We still use a washcloth but we'll be switching to a toothbrush now that he's 12 months old/has enough teeth for it to be worthwhile.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Dandy Shrew posted:

Any suggestions for tummy time for a baby who absolutely hates it? Rory is 3 months old and the only tummy time he gets is when either I or my husband has him on our bellies. I don't know how the gently caress I can get him up to 15 minutes a day because he acts like it's torture.

You don't have to do 15 minutes all in one go. Three five minute tummy times also count. As he gets used to it, you can lengthen how long he spends doing tummy time in one sitting.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

As long as there's plenty of wet diapers, there's no need to supplement with water. Your baby gets all the water he needs from your milk.

My son was 3 months this time last year, and I just set up camp on the floor (coolest spot and in the path of the fan's breeze) and we nursed in the side lie position A LOT. I also wiped him down with cool washcloths so that he didn't overheat.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Fionnoula posted:

(Note: the carseat that wouldn't fit was an infant bucket seat. I've never had a problem with our convertible)

When we flew with our son in a bucket seat, we went to seatguru.com and looked up the pitch of the planes used by the carriers we were considering. I'm not sure what carrier you had problems with, but we found both United and Frontier could accommodate our Britax Chaperone in regular economy, but we upgraded to economy plus so that the row in front of us could still recline.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

When my son was 10 months old we went through a similar experience. We went home for Christmas, where I didn't pump, I just let David nurse, which always made my supply dip a little bit. Just as I was getting it back up to where it usually was, I got that nasty stomach flu that was going around. I went from pumping 6-10 ounces per pumping session to less than 1 ounce.

For us, that seemed like a good opportunity to daytime wean (and I was running out of frozen milk quickly), so we switched to formula for the daytime feedings and still nursed before bed and first thing in the morning.

His growth was pretty stagnant between his 12 and 15 month appointments, but we don't know if that was related to switching to formula or just because growth slows down about then anyway.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

We use the My Little Chair for our portable high chair and we really like it. It has straps which helps with our wiggle monster, and we've never had problems fitting it over chairs at hotels and restaurants.

In action:

(7 months old)

(13 months old)

vanessa
May 21, 2006

bamzilla posted:

I've thought about this cause I'd like to be able to carry it wherever without the bulk of a booster, but some of the reviews mention it's a pain since the kid can't reach the table to eat their food. Has that been an issue that you've noticed? I think it'd be especially handy as we do a lot of road trips and the booster takes up a lot of space in the trunk if we need to pack things for a week long stay somewhere.

We never had problems, but I think my kid might be Stretch Armstrong because it seems that no matter how far away from the table he is, David always finds a way to get his hands on things we don't want him to touch. Like his mom's glass of wine.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

We started offering meat around the one year mark, but David wasn't interested in meat until his first molars came in and he had something to chew it with. He never really liked puréed meat, and we never pushed the issue.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

johnny sack posted:

Anyone else go through this, when you suddenly start your toddler in daycare?

Our son has been in day care since he was 3 months old (18 months old now), so we never saw it with him, but we do see it every time he gets a new friend on his classroom. It usually takes about 2 weeks for the toddlers to get used to things. Heck, every once in a while when David is feeling sensitive, I need to give him extra hugs before I can leave.

Totally normal, I'd only be worried if the crying got worse.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Chicken McNobody posted:

Does enzymatic cleaner (like Nature's Miracle) work as well on barf odors as it does on pet odors? If not, what works best for you? My toddler's had a tummy bug this week, throwing up mostly at night, and he sleeps with us, so he barfs on us (read: me. all the time), and we all smell just terrible. :(

I'm sick myself, and was so tired last night I just Febreezed the mattress and pillows, laid down extra towels, and went to bed, but the smell...it has defeated Febreeze.

Yes, enzyme cleaners work great on anything that comes out of a baby, vomit and poop. We're expecting our second, and we're stocking up for the invariable poopsplosion.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Acrolos posted:

Has anyone experienced this time of consistent vomiting from a cold?

Yep. I know it's hard not to worry, but one of the best things you can learn to do is take your cue from your kid. If she's not in distress, then make sure she stays hydrated and just let things run their course. There's not much you can do otherwise.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Ron Jeremy posted:

As far as socialization, I see a big difference between our eldest who was in an in-home day care from 3 months and the younger ones who I have cares for at home since birth. Since the eldest has always been surrounded by kids his age and older, he has a harder time finding things to hold his attention by himself and needs more curated activities. His little brother is much happier by himself with toys or coloring.

I haven't seen this in my son who goes to day care full time. He loves to play with us, but he also is able to sit in his chair and look at books on his own just fine. We make sure to give him opportunities for both.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

Lullabee posted:

How bad does moving time zones suck with toddlers? We're moving from the west coast to Illinois by April (time line isn't set in stone just yet), so I'm curious how bad it's gonna be.

Thankfully me and C are flying (with his own seat) while his dad drives the uhaul out, so at least there's that.

Is there anything we can do to prepare him for the transition or is it better to just move and let him adjust naturally?

It's only two time zones; it won't be that bad. We fly to Minnesota and Wisconsin from California a few times a year. Each time we just let David adjust sleep on his own but try to do meals and snacks on Central time. He's usually totally on Central time by the third night.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

I always wanted two kids. I can't imagine life with just one. All the things that were listed as liabilities? For me, I just consider them minor temporary setbacks.

We are currently expecting our second, and sometimes I joke "Is it too late to change our mind? It sure is nice sleeping through the night," but having two is something I've always been sure of.

I think you're taking the right approach. If you aren't sure, take the extra time you need to make sure. Maybe you'll decide to go for it, maybe you'll decide one is the right number for you.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

We don't use cutesy nicknames for body parts. We say "crotch" for the general area, but use labels for specifics. I have said to my son, "Wow, you really got that poop on your scrotum." When our daughter is born, we'll say labia and vagina when referring to her parts.

The only exception is that I call a butt a "tush" because that's what I'm used to from my parents.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

We've had relatively good luck using "more" when we can.

"Would you like more grapes?"
"More. More."

"Would you like some more?"
"All done."

Doesn't work for everything, but it's helped reduce frustration at meal time.

vanessa
May 21, 2006

King Ramses posted:

Meanwhile this is what my girlfriend sent me while I'm at work.

"Trying to get him to even point to his mouth for water has him shoving his head into the corner so hard his face is squishing
and now he is sitting in the floor in the corner
with is back to me
refusing to look at me
because I want him to nod if he wants water"

I might be reading too much into this, but it sounds like your girlfriend is letting her frustration come out through how she tries to elicit speech. It's really important to keep the pressure off.

My son (23 mos) started speech therapy a few weeks ago for language delay, and we're already seeing good progress because his therapist shows us how to talk to David. She told us that at this age, labeling and describing should be 80% of what is said, and only about 20% should be asking questions/trying to elicit specific words. Once we adjusted what we said and how we said it, David opened right up.

I encourage you to look into Early Intervention. We have to go through our insurance first, but once his insurance benefit is used up, the state is paying for everything and we won't see a bill at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanessa
May 21, 2006

jackpot posted:

Hey, just wanted to give a hand, foot, and mouth update, because I know that's what everybody wants. After you stop itching and the sores go away, you start to notice that the tips of your fingers feel calloused and a little numb. Then really dry. Then they start to peel a little bit, then a little more, and jesus christ are you loving kidding me? This goddamn virus can loving eat me.

I haven't gotten to this part yet, but I've had every other symptom, I see no reason why I'll avoid this one.

If your fingernails fall off, gird yourself for 6+ months of sensitivity in the nailbed. David still hates having his toenails trimmed and he had HFM in February.