Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir Prancelot
Mar 7, 2008

:h:Knight of the
Rainbow Table.:h:
What's this? A new Gundam thread?

Whizbang posted:

Right, but he's saying that SEED fans aren't necessarily Gundam fans. Which is probably true, you don't see a lot of Amuro/Char yaoi.
Stay innocent forever, Whizbang. :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So where is that Origin announcement? Is there not some tradeshow or other where they could drop the next thing, because otherwise I would expect some kind of press conference.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Not really about three or four months before they want to air it they'll make an announcement in a magazine, probably Gundam ACE for Origin, or a short TV spot and then they'll trickle out info till it airs.

Personally I'm okay with them taking as much time as they want to get Origin all set up so they can do it right.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really would be perfectly happy if it's a long time before we get another Gundam series.

Even if they do Origin, I can't imagine it won't be inept unless they actively go out of their way to get an excellent director. Knowing the studio, they'll get someone they can push over and exploit to make sure that they have a bunch of new model kits to sell.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Yeah, I really don't want to see an Origin anime at all. It just has "bad idea" written all over it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Rakugoon posted:

So where is that Origin announcement? Is there not some tradeshow or other where they could drop the next thing, because otherwise I would expect some kind of press conference.

I believe the current rumors are along the lines of "Origin was nowhere near ready for an announcement and was only publicized to save face when AGE started tanking." So I would guess its going to be a bit longer than normal before another official statement on the show.

I'm not really hopeful for it, anyway. Gundam as a whole in recent years is plagued by a sort of cargo cult worship of the original, duplicating its elements without understanding why they worked. Char is the most obvious example, of course, but if you were to take - say - the second season of 00, you could almost literally see the checklist of Gundamisms being marked off episode by episode.

The franchise as a whole needs to take a long break, or maybe have somebody new and egotistical who's willing to gently caress with the sacred canon without listening to the suits take over for a bit.

(Neither of these things is going to happen.)

slightpirate
Dec 26, 2006
i am the dance commander
I dunno man, as much as I love MSG's charm and animation style, it is antiquated. I could deal with a freshly animated Universal Century origin story. I think Bandai could probably get away with doing an Origin trilogy instead of animating an entire series.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

slightpirate posted:

I dunno man, as much as I love MSG's charm and animation style, it is antiquated. I could deal with a freshly animated Universal Century origin story. I think Bandai could probably get away with doing an Origin trilogy instead of animating an entire series.
Hey, as long as they get rid of Lalah, I'd be fine with however they remake it.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

JazzFlight posted:

I'm pretty sure Lalah was an extremely important character in terms of both overall plot of the first Universal Century as well as thematically speaking. You REALLY can't remake Gundam without Lalah. That'd be... dumb.

Edit: Also, we're two pages into a new Gundam thread and no one's posted Dat rear end? Someone needs to rectify this.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 24, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mecha Gojira posted:

I'm pretty sure Lalah was an extremely important character in terms of both overall plot of the first Universal Century as well as thematically speaking. You REALLY can't remake Gundam without Lalah. That'd be... dumb.

To be fair they could do what the novels do and kill her off really quickly after her introduction in the first third of the story, followed by Char gradually forgetting why he gave a drat about her.

Kinda doubt they'll do that though.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

mr. stefan posted:

I believe the current rumors are along the lines of "Origin was nowhere near ready for an announcement and was only publicized to save face when AGE started tanking." So I would guess its going to be a bit longer than normal before another official statement on the show.
The Origin anime and AGE were announced at around the same time before we even say AGE character designs if I'm remembering right. So that's not it. The Origin manga was ending and they wanted to use that fan high while it lasted, that's all.

Bimmi posted:

Yeah, I really don't want to see an Origin anime at all. It just has "bad idea" written all over it.
What part of "Hey you know that beloved '70/80s TV anime series and movie trilogy that spawned a mutli-million dollar franchise that recently got a super popular manga update by the original character designer of the 1979 series? Lets make a cartoon of that" has bad idea on it? If you say "make a cartoon of that" Sunrise might as well close its doors.

mr. stefan posted:

The franchise as a whole needs to take a long break, or maybe have somebody new and egotistical who's willing to gently caress with the sacred canon without listening to the suits take over for a bit.
I would love for someone to come in and give us something fresh and well made like Imagawa did with G Gundam.

JazzFlight posted:

Nope Origin has more Lahah. In fact in fleshes out her back story a lot. Char's spy adventures in India and a bulldozer fight, no more picking her up from a whorehouse in a limo. Also what Mecha Gojira said.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Guyver posted:

What part of "Hey you know that beloved '70/80s TV anime series and movie trilogy that spawned a mutli-million dollar franchise that recently got a super popular manga update by the original character designer of the 1979 series? Lets make a cartoon of that" has bad idea on it?

The part where every Gundam television production since Turn-A has been a mess where the studio heads force their way into every possible nook and cranny and where they focus on getting directors who are seemingly hired more for "are willing to do what we say" than anything else.

Origin is a good manga but it would have to be adapted and it would be really easy for the adaptation to be tremendously lovely if done improperly. The fact that the studio is so focused on OYW nostalgia leads to the very real idea that it would be doing everything in its power to sell MSVs and new model kits, even at the cost of being a good adaptation.

Honestly, that's part of why I'm worried about The Origin. Every recent Gundam series has been unable to avoid the specter of constantly referencing the OYW. Another adaptation which is just the OYW isn't going to be anything creative or new. It won't necessarily be bad but it really isn't what the franchise needs.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Sep 24, 2012

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair they could do what the novels do and kill her off really quickly after her introduction in the first third of the story, followed by Char gradually forgetting why he gave a drat about her.

Kinda doubt they'll do that though.

Yeah, but then again the novels introduced a whole new woman Newtype character who kind of sort of had a crush on Amuro despite working for Char. And of course Amuro has to kill her in her Elmeth as well...

Man, Tomino's gotten a lot of mileage out of that subplot over the years, hasn't he?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't really see why people want to remove lalah considering she's the entire reason why Char and Amuro's rivalry goes from just Char being annoyed at losing to the gundam, to a pretty deep hatred between the two. I honestly think it's one of the better aspects of the show.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Guyver posted:

What part of "Hey you know that beloved '70/80s TV anime series and movie trilogy that spawned a mutli-million dollar franchise that recently got a super popular manga update by the original character designer of the 1979 series? Lets make a cartoon of that" has bad idea on it? If you say "make a cartoon of that" Sunrise might as well close its doors.

I'd shed no tears if this happened, frankly.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Monaghan posted:

I don't really see why people want to remove lalah considering she's the entire reason why Char and Amuro's rivalry goes from just Char being annoyed at losing to the gundam, to a pretty deep hatred between the two. I honestly think it's one of the better aspects of the show.

Because she's such a minor character that the only way they could force that hatred to occur between the two leads was for them to claim 'Magic. I mean, Newtype resonance. Yeah, that' on her and Amuro.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
I'd like a version of the OYW that had Kusko Al from the Gundam novels in it. Hell, I'd like an animated adaptation of the Gundam novels. It probably wouldn't happen because of the balls it would take to kill off Amuro halfway through the third act though. Of course I wouldn't really trust it to turn out good unless Tomino himself were directing.

Rakugoon
Jul 30, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

JazzFlight posted:

Look I know everyone in here is guaranteed to have aspergers but that's no excuse for trolling.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Blackest Goon posted:

Wow... Is that from a Blu-ray? The clarity of the animation is astounding

Yeah, Char's Counterattack has been out on blu-ray for awhile now.

As well as most Gundam movies. Except for the original movie trilogy. Even the 0083 compilation movie has a blu-ray release, but not that :negative:

mr. stefan posted:

I'm not really hopeful for it, anyway. Gundam as a whole in recent years is plagued by a sort of cargo cult worship of the original, duplicating its elements without understanding why they worked. Char is the most obvious example, of course, but if you were to take - say - the second season of 00, you could almost literally see the checklist of Gundamisms being marked off episode by episode.

Not sure if I'd say in recent years, since this has been happening since the 90s. Obviously it has gotten more blatant in recent years, but there's a decent amount of Wing that only really makes sense if you know it's retelling a lot of the UC plot!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Srice posted:

there's a decent amount of Wing that only really makes sense if you know it's retelling a lot of the UC plot!

True fact: I didn't pick up on that till after I'd seen the 0079 movies and Wing again in rapid succession.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 5, 2014

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Well Manicured Man posted:

I'd like a version of the OYW that had Kusko Al from the Gundam novels in it. Hell, I'd like an animated adaptation of the Gundam novels. It probably wouldn't happen because of the balls it would take to kill off Amuro halfway through the third act though. Of course I wouldn't really trust it to turn out good unless Tomino himself were directing.

Tomino himself would be liable to change it given the fact he's no longer nearly as depressed as he was at the time and likes to gently caress with fans and studios to some degree.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
After Turn A, Sunrise will never let Tomino off the leash again on a Gundam series. It was a masterpiece but also a total financial flop. Subpar ratings and practically non-existent gunpla sales.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

boom boom boom posted:

Bullshit. Newtype magic is a staple of UC. Also, not to go all person who has read some books, but the concept of a dude and a chick falling madly in love with each other at first sight is not a novel new story telling device, invented by Tomino, never before seen in the annals of human story telling.
No, it doesn't add up. What's the real reason you hate Lalah?

Newtype magic is a staple of UC, true, and almost every time it affects the plot or events in a meaningful way it is stupid bullshit that the show (and series) would honestly be better off without. As for the 'instant romance' thing, sure it happens without psychic interference. It also tends to be badly written and unbelievable 90% of the time it happens, and I don't consider Amuro and Lalah's relationship to be any different.

Lastly, I don't hate Lalah. I don't particularly care about her one way or the other, but I was just responding to (and disagreeing with) someone who said she was 'one of the better aspects of the show.'

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
I'm kind of confused about the Lalah thing since it happened so fast in the movie. She loved Char but then she loved Amuro? She loved them both maybe? Newtype soulmates I'm so loving confused

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Right, but he's saying that SEED fans aren't necessarily Gundam fans. Which is probably true, you don't see a lot of Amuro/Char yaoi.

That's because the OTP was Kamille/Quattro. :colbert:

usb teledildonics posted:

I'm kind of confused about the Lalah thing since it happened so fast in the movie. She loved Char but then she loved Amuro? She loved them both maybe? Newtype soulmates I'm so loving confused
Yeah, the Lalah Sune poo poo was pretty dumb. It got explained more in the full series but even then it was just as dumb and banal. Essentially it's a big ol Newtype love triangle which ends with Lalah dying to protect Char from Amuro and both Char and Amuro blaming themselves/each other for Lalah's death. Lot's of :qq:ing and yelling of each others names ensues until Char and Amuro finally kill each other a decade later in Char's Counterattack.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 24, 2012

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Lalah loved Char as a person she personally knew and interacted with physically. She loved Amuro as a person she could psychically connect to on a more transcendental level. Now she had newtype connections with both because both were Newtypes. Amuro's was just a different level. Now I think it's kind of BS that some people in this thread are painting Lalah as a minor character, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that most people watch the movies instead of the TV series, so of course she loses a large amount of screen time since she's introduced relatively late into the series.

I just think it's important to remember that Newtypes aren't some magic bullshit people, but the thematic basis for the first decade of Gundam. It all ties into that big umbrella Tomino quote, "Adults are the enemy." A new generation of people who are more open, more empathetic, and better able to communicate with one another are held back by an older generation's institutions, structures, ideologies, etc. and are forced to fight against one another instead of bringing about real change. It's not about the romance between these characters, but about how war is dumb and pits people against one another who would probably otherwise like each other or should be working together. Lalah and Amuro's relationship is the crux of this theme, and it's so important that Tomino uses similar situations over and over and over again.

Of course, I still love that scene in Zeta Gundam where Char and Amuro are standing behind Kamille as he carries Four's body, and they're both shocked and saddened that this poo poo keeps happening. It's also important that it's also the scene that Kamille tells Char to man up and take responsibility or else this poo poo will KEEP happening.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
I just got to the episode in Zeta Gundam where Kamille "corrects" the gently caress out of Char for the first time. :feelsgood:

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Oct 5, 2014

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.
Hey, along with a new thread, we have an update announcement from our favorite abridged series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sXuuCAc4po

Short version: the main writer is burnt out between work and life, as well struck with a serious writer's block. Also Ramba Ral's voice actor has vanished from the internet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Not Dave posted:

Hey, along with a new thread, we have an update announcement from our favorite abridged series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sXuuCAc4po

Short version: the main writer is burnt out between work and life, as well struck with a serious writer's block. Also Ramba Ral's voice actor has vanished from the internet.

In the middle of a mediocre internet comic video Ramba Ral forgot to talk.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me

boom boom boom posted:

She loved Char because he rescued her and had taken care of her, and Char loved her too. It's not quite clear to what extent either of thier love was romantic or sexual, I think that's intentionally left ambiguous, but it was real, human love.
Since Newtypes are capable of a sort of psychic empathy thing, the first time Lalah and Amuro fell immediately, powerfully in love. Like, sharing each others thoughts and feeling, no barriers, total love, a type that only Newtypes can experience. That's why Char can never forgive Amuro.

That's how I interpreted it when I first watched the movie trilogy. I think Char even admitted that he basically loved her for her super special Newtype powers? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

That's how I interpreted it when I first watched the movie trilogy. I think Char even admitted that he basically loved her for her super special Newtype powers? Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Char said Lalah was like a mother to him, and Amuro went "wtf?" and then they blew up.

usb teledildonics
Oct 10, 2009

those who came before me
Lalah is Gundam's Kaworu

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Lalah is Gundam's Kaworu

Kaworu is Evangelion's Lalah?

But nah, there were a lot more ~*feelings*~ between Lalah and both men, again, watching the movies means you miss the development. It's still kind of mushy and confusing since Tomino's depression seemed to carry with it a lot of weird hangups about women (see also: Victory Gundam).

EDIT: In the romantic/symbolic aspects and the torn between two rivals aspect, Ayanami fits as Lalah better. Just make the Char/Gendo side partially unrequited.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 24, 2012

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Lalah is Gundam's Kaworu

So in Origin, the original Amuro will be Lalah?

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Origin is much less milkable for MSVs than the original series, because every unit can swap out parts to do different stuff. The basic GM in that, for example, basically obsoletes like 50 lovely GM variants ever just by being able to glue a cannon to it's shoulder.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

I am seriously tempted to just write up a giant post of all the poo poo in AGE which makes no sense because it is a long list.

I'm curious to hear what went wrong. It sounds like they bet the farm on AGE.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Pretty much everything went wrong. The pacing was terrible (the most notorious example is near the end of the series; 2 entire episodes were wasted introducing than immediately killing a character), you could practically see the script being rewritten in a desperate attempt to make the show more "Gundam" at the second generation onwards, the main gimmick of the show (the AGE Builder) went almost totally unused after the first generation yet was supposed to be a major trump, the villains were one-dimensional for the majority of the show and then fleshed out in such a way that the most positive interpretation of them is "idiotic cultists who would never dare to question Dear Leader," the heroes were supposed to be a family yet almost never actually seemed like one (Flit was infamous for caring more about the AGE Builder than Asemu, Asemu loving abandoned his family, Kio couldn't be assed to tell his mother that he had found his dad, etc), almost all the female characters were either there to give birth or to be useless and die horribly, a good chunk of the male characters were so simple you could describe in a single word, the generation aspect of the show had little to no effect (the war basically froze between generations), the protagonists never really succeed at anything (Flit becomes "the messiah" in the dumbest way imaginable, Asemu never shows that a Super Pilot is superior to X-Rounders, Kio's ideals are portrayed negatively in the actual footage yet are supposed to be taken as the gospel)... ImpAtom was not kidding when he said there was a long list.

And that's not getting into the two biggest problems: basing the show off a video game that hadn't been released yet and the way the writers seem to purposefully ignore every basic rule of storytelling. Introduce a big villain, show him to be batshit, pin all of the problems on him? Have him die peacefully. Introduce a noble villain who cares about his allies, show him growing to distrust the big villain due to his friendship with the heroes? Have him suddenly do a 180, become an insane, cackling idiot who willingly sacrifices his crew, then get killed at the end of the episode with little to no fanfare in the span of like 10 seconds. Then, because you don't have any more villains because you hosed up so hard, bring up a random character who has literally only had one line of dialogue and make him the big final boss.

EDIT: Oh, and then there's how AGE 3 Orbital was treated. The Exia-Repair II no longer has the worst track record. :allears:

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Who could ever have predicted that a videogame adaptation might make for bad drama? Shocking, I tell you.

I wonder how big of a bath Bandai wound up taking on AGE merch? They made the claim last year, VERY much in public, that they expected something like a 30% increase in sales over the 00 lines. Pretty sure that didn't happen!

• Locked thread