Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Right, but he's saying that SEED fans aren't necessarily Gundam fans. Which is probably true, you don't see a lot of Amuro/Char yaoi.

That's because the OTP was Kamille/Quattro. :colbert:

usb teledildonics posted:

I'm kind of confused about the Lalah thing since it happened so fast in the movie. She loved Char but then she loved Amuro? She loved them both maybe? Newtype soulmates I'm so loving confused
Yeah, the Lalah Sune poo poo was pretty dumb. It got explained more in the full series but even then it was just as dumb and banal. Essentially it's a big ol Newtype love triangle which ends with Lalah dying to protect Char from Amuro and both Char and Amuro blaming themselves/each other for Lalah's death. Lot's of :qq:ing and yelling of each others names ensues until Char and Amuro finally kill each other a decade later in Char's Counterattack.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 24, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Tae posted:

I don't like the Endless Waltz designs from a utility standpoint. The clown mask on Heavy Arms is dumb, and I love the little laser knife. Sandrock also needed to keep his beam Uzi.

I've always had this perspective on Gundam Wing: everything about it was poo poo except for the grunt mobile suits.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

-Troika- posted:

Is it true that the Rick Dom is actually less manuverable than the Zaku? :froggonk:

In what way?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Replaying Encounters in Space. I forgot how much fun this was for a rail shooter.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

The Zudah is pretty cool.
Shame about the whole exploding bit.

Gotta go fast.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Neo-Zeon is the indie t-shirt company of mobile suit manufacturers. If we ever made more than five of any design, it just wouldn't be special anymore, y'know?

Anaheim Electronics wasn't complaining.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
MS Igloo was... Interesting. It was kind of weird, but I enjoyed the MS aspects of it enough that it's watchable.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Szmitten posted:

I think my issue with the Igloo CG is that the human characters are made to look realistic but they're animated in an anime style; keeping very very still then a sharp sudden movement, standing agape with eyes/mouth quivering, etc, although some of that might just be Japanese drama in general from what I've seen.

EDIT: Or like when you have those mocapped cutscenes in Metal Gear Solid 4 with a bunch of Americans in a jet yet characters are subtly bowing/nodding or making those similar kinds of culturally odd/inconsistent movements.

Lot of uncanny valley going on in Igloo.

Monaghan posted:

I'm in the latter category. lovely characters, formulaic as all hell, it has terrible CGI and it goes completely nuts with the naz aesthetics, yet also wants the zeon to be completely sympathetic. Series 2 ends with a gigantic zeon flag in the background. All the zeon soldiers are more or less noble, while all the feddies are bastards and/or nuts.

gently caress this show. It's the only gundam series that I think deserves the title of "zeon fanwank."

I like aspects of it. The Big Rang episode actually made the whole Zeons = space Nazis thing ring really true with the way they threw kids into the Oggos at the Battle of A Baoa Qu, similar to how the Nazis put as many teenage boys into uniform for the final defense of Berlin.

Also ZUDAH! :love:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Generally yes. It's still worth watching some episodes though just to savor the "quality" though!

We're jumping onto White Base.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So what's the consensus on Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin? I'm only reading through it now, just got to the first appearance of Ramba Ral. I actually like it a lot. It makes the right sort of changes to the original Mobile Suit Gundam anime.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Yeah I've noticed the difference in Kai. He's still something of a coward but also less of a dickhead than he was in the anime.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Best thing about Gundam Wing was the Leos. They were the Ford Pinto of mobile suits.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Was Wing the only series that had fully autonomous mobile suits? It wasn't a terrible idea, honestly. I don't think a reason is given for why they don't appear in the UC universe, although Amuro and Char both set their mobile suits to autobattle, which eventually ends with the Gundam and Zeong destroying each other, at A Baoa Qu before loving off to have a zero-g fencing duel.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Son Ryo posted:

I'd hazard a guess that it's Minovsky Particles again. Autonomous mobile suits need micro-managing unless they're programmed really well, and if they can't receive orders at every time then that could lead to some pretty bad situations.

Also, I always thought that Amuro and Char did less 'setting their mobile suits to autobattle' and more 'programming in one last action before leaving the cockpit', but I could be wrong.

I know there was some element to the RX-78-2 where it's computer would collect battle data and use it to better synchronize with the pilot, eventually getting to the point where it could no longer properly accommodate Amuro's skills by the end of the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
I'm a space republicanist. Down with space monarchy.

• Locked thread