Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That should probably get you a stripe or two off the bat. You've got experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ESL students can get them too. My wife's retarded cousin who literally got a score too low to join the Army but got wavered in did not get one because he was home schooled.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!

Hamlet442 posted:

Sounds like you won't have any issues getting in then. Stick to that workout, don't get in trouble, and you should be good. I don't know if you've answered before, but do you have an idea of what jobs you're interested in? Did your ASVAB break out what your individual scores were (General, Electrical, Mechanical, Administrative) or was the number just an overall 90?

General = 85
Administrative = 93
Mechanical = 74
Electrical = 74
AFQT = 90

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Zetta_Slow posted:

General = 85
Administrative = 93
Mechanical = 74
Electrical = 74
AFQT = 90

That's fine, also the no medication thing will go a long way.

edit: also wondering what you were looking at for jobs

Nostalgia4Butts fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 3, 2015

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

That's fine, also the no medication thing will go a long way.

edit: also wondering what you were looking at for jobs

Right now I've been looking into Linguist and Medical jobs. I've been doing IT related work for awhile and I'm not exactly sure that it is the path I still want to take. One thing that bugs me is that the AF website is just so bare bones so they don't give much depth to describing jobs. So I've been making use of google to see what people think about their jobs, etc.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Zetta_Slow posted:

Right now I've been looking into Linguist and Medical jobs. I've been doing IT related work for awhile and I'm not exactly sure that it is the path I still want to take. One thing that bugs me is that the AF website is just so bare bones so they don't give much depth to describing jobs. So I've been making use of google to see what people think about their jobs, etc.

Linguist stuff is mostly here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3319492

As for medical jobs ask away, I was an army medic and we have a few others like Painsaw around who can answer questions.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Medics have the best stories

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

we earn them

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
it's all fun and games unless you're the one getting blood squirted on you because the fucker learned a cool trick with an iv needle.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Volkerball posted:

it's all fun and games unless you're the one getting urine squirted on you because the fucker learned a cool trick with a catheter.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i'd rather have someones piss on me than someones blood honestly

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Volkerball posted:

i'd rather have someones piss on me than someones blood honestly

i worked a crazy shift one night and pretty much collapsed into bed in my dcu's

when i woke up i realized i had a small chunk of someone's brain on my sleeve

it was then i realized how sticky brain matter is. pretty much what would happen if jell-o and velcro had a baby.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

at least you knew what the guy thought of you when you slept with him

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

at least you knew what the guy thought of you when you slept with him

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

And bone injection videos. :stare:

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Volkerball posted:

it's all fun and games unless you're the one getting blood squirted on you because the fucker learned a cool trick with an iv needle.

Always a guaranteed crowd pleaser; get the known hypertensive with pipes big enough you could hit them from the loving moon, stick them with a 14, pull the needle without occluding the vein or popping the band and see how far you can get it to go. Best I ever got was only like six feet due to the way our CLS classrooms were setup, only other way you could orient it would've probably ended up with the first two rows looking like they were going as Patrick Bateman for Halloween.

Godholio posted:

And bone injection videos. :stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyPgGjqPUMU

3:20 is where it starts, and the chick rates it as 4/10 pain like getting hit in the funny bone.

PS: Unless you really love medical poo poo go linguist. I talked to at least half a dozen Air Force guys working at the Osan ER and according to them you're super loving pigeonholed and will lose like half your skills because you never use them for years.

Diarrhea Elemental fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Nov 3, 2015

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I looked up what jobs your ASVAB score will get you and you qualify for all but one, barring any medical problems or other tests. You're not colorblind, are you? Linguist is a long school and you'll probably be stationed in very, very few places, depending on your language obviously.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Are MOS qualifications based around your ASVAB score or your GT score? I only got an 89 on my ASVAB, but I got a 126 on the GT, and I'm pretty sure I qualified for whatever the gently caress I wanted. So if it's based around his ASVAB where he got a 90, I don't see what he'd be disqualified from. But if it's GT, I get it.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Its usually your GT or SC score. They all come into play for certain jobs though.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
The Air Force breaks down the ASVAB into four general categories: Mechanical, Electrical, Administrative, and General on a 1-99 scale. His overall score was a 90 but his categories help define what he's qualified for specific to the career field needs. The only job he doesn't qualify for is 9S100, which require an 88 and 85 in Mechanical and Electrical, respectively. The Army breaks down the same ASVAB into ten categories for their needs. The Army takes the raw scores from the ASVAB and combine them into stuff like combat, maintenance, artillery, clerical, etc. The GT score is a combination of arithmetic and word knowledge and comprehension. The Air Force takes the General category and combines the same word knowledge and comprehension with paragraph comprehension and arithmetic, grades them, and puts them on the 1-99 scale. Not sure how the Navy or the Marines do it, but I imagine it's similar. It's all the same and used the same, but categorized and graded differently.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Hamlet442 posted:

The Air Force breaks down the ASVAB into four general categories: Mechanical, Electrical, Administrative, and General on a 1-99 scale. His overall score was a 90 but his categories help define what he's qualified for specific to the career field needs. The only job he doesn't qualify for is 9S100, which require an 88 and 85 in Mechanical and Electrical, respectively. The Army breaks down the same ASVAB into ten categories for their needs. The Army takes the raw scores from the ASVAB and combine them into stuff like combat, maintenance, artillery, clerical, etc. The GT score is a combination of arithmetic and word knowledge and comprehension. The Air Force takes the General category and combines the same word knowledge and comprehension with paragraph comprehension and arithmetic, grades them, and puts them on the 1-99 scale. Not sure how the Navy or the Marines do it, but I imagine it's similar. It's all the same and used the same, but categorized and graded differently.

Yeah break outs are a little different but it's the same principle across the services. The idea being that some people are generally stupid but can still be really good at certain things. That's how you get mouth breathers that somehow know how to keep Desert Storm era HMMWVs running with duct tape and scrap sheet metal.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Nov 4, 2015

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

With everything I've looked into Linguist looks the most promising currently, but it would all come down to the DLAB.

On a side note my ADHD stuff has become a major pain and I want to get some advice on the whole story of what's going on. I went to talk with my doctor previously about my ADHD diagnosis, and we both agreed that I had outgrown it. The diagnosis was in early 2012/2013 due to me starting at a university, having issues with the giant class sizes, and we talked about taking medication for it (Tried strattera and felt like it was unnecessary, it is also not a controlled substance, so there should be no issues). I stopped taking bigger classes and my GPA spiked up. Now I'm curious about the whole situation that is currently going on. I found my old diagnosis from 2001/2003 the one from 2001 is a diagnosis that says ADHD, and the one from 2003 says ADD. He said that adding these will make more paperwork and add confusion, so he just wants to leave these out. He also says that he needs all records about IEP's, my GPA's, and Grade Transcripts as far as they can go back. I called my high school/college and they sent out my transcripts which will cover me grades 6-12 and the college for all of my AA. I talked to the high school registrar and she said any records of an IEP should be in the transcripts if it was used.

Now to the current situation my recruiter is telling me that I need a 'treatment plan' from my doctor when I know no such thing exists. He also wants exact dates on my ADHD start-up/stopping. He also wants all of my medication records wrote up from my doctor. My main issue is that no 'treatment plan' exists. I talked to my doctor about the issues and we came to an agreement that I just had a lack of focus due to the poor class management at University. I guess the main issue is that he wants a non-existent 'treatment plan' wrote up from my doctor, which would involve creating something that doesn't exist, which would be fraud. What should I do in this situation? He says that the Chief Medical Officer wants more information about the whole thing, and there is nothing more to it, I've given them all the information about the situation and what happened. Should I start looking in to other branches at this point? (Will they just pull up my air force records and see that I had issues because of my past ADHD?) My recruiter is also saying that he is in a lot of trouble because he didn't properly follow his training and this led to him messing up the enlistment of 5+ possible recruits. This whole situation is a mess and I really don't know what to do besides ask for advice from everyone here.

I really do appreciate the help from everyone here, I just don't understand some of the issues coming up with my recruiter.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Question. Did they bring up this whole ADHD thing with you through a background search somehow, or did you bring it up?

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Volkerball posted:

Question. Did they bring up this whole ADHD thing with you through a background search somehow, or did you bring it up?

I brought it up when I talked to my recruiter. He said it shouldn't be a difficult situation as long as my doctor says that I am clear to go and get a note saying that everything was fine. So I went and discussed everything with my doctor and he agreed that I was functioning well and I had grown out of my ADHD. Now my recruiter is saying that this is a difficult situation because he was mistaken about something and his boss apparently had to come retrain him on some information regarding ADHD. So pretty much "not being a difficult situation" turned into hell.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Zetta_Slow posted:

I brought it up when I talked to my recruiter. He said it shouldn't be a difficult situation as long as my doctor says that I am clear to go and get a note saying that everything was fine. So I went and discussed everything with my doctor and he agreed that I was functioning well and I had grown out of my ADHD. Now my recruiter is saying that this is a difficult situation because he was mistaken about something and his boss apparently had to come retrain him on some information regarding ADHD. So pretty much "not being a difficult situation" turned into hell.

The moral of the story is always lie to recruiters.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Volkerball posted:

The moral of the story is always lie to recruiters.

Lesson learned.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The downside is that if they find out later that you lied, you can expect a discharge and if it's about something serious, criminal charges. Keep in mind you've probably got security clearance background checks in the future.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Godholio posted:

The downside is that if they find out later that you lied, you can expect a discharge and if it's about something serious, criminal charges. Keep in mind you've probably got security clearance background checks in the future.

This is exactly what I was figuring, and I wanted to be accurate about everything. The only issues that make my record an unclean record are a dismissed traffic ticket, some old stomach scans from when I lost weight (came out clean, CMO said everything was good in that regard), and ADHD, which is the biggest current hurdle. The real issue is getting all the paperwork together now, I have everything I need, and then he needs something else new and my doctor has no "treatment plan" so do I just tell him that a "treatment plan" doesn't exist?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Godholio posted:

Well there's things you lie about and things you don't lie about, obviously. Like you don't lie about criminal charges because that'll get found out immediately. But for example, if you've never been arrested for drugs, you've never done drugs. Same applies with mental issues. Unless you're seriously disabled or something and have been prescribed something for years over a diagnosis, there's no reason to remember that one time when you were prescribed whatever unless they bring it up first and remind you.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Nov 6, 2015

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
People lie ALL the time about criminal records. Thing is in Idaho, its all public record. So its like, "Hey, Timmy, why didn't you mention the 3 times you've been arrested" and its usually like "oh I forgot"or "i didnt think they mattered" :rolleyes:

Had one kid who was a rapist try to join, was in the natl sex offender site. Said it was only in Wisconsin and it shouldn't matter here???

edit: you'd be surprised how many kids were arrested because their parents call the cops on them, lol.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Zetta_Slow posted:

With everything I've looked into Linguist looks the most promising currently, but it would all come down to the DLAB.

On a side note my ADHD stuff has become a major pain and I want to get some advice on the whole story of what's going on. I went to talk with my doctor previously about my ADHD diagnosis, and we both agreed that I had outgrown it. The diagnosis was in early 2012/2013 due to me starting at a university, having issues with the giant class sizes, and we talked about taking medication for it (Tried strattera and felt like it was unnecessary, it is also not a controlled substance, so there should be no issues). I stopped taking bigger classes and my GPA spiked up. Now I'm curious about the whole situation that is currently going on. I found my old diagnosis from 2001/2003 the one from 2001 is a diagnosis that says ADHD, and the one from 2003 says ADD. He said that adding these will make more paperwork and add confusion, so he just wants to leave these out. He also says that he needs all records about IEP's, my GPA's, and Grade Transcripts as far as they can go back. I called my high school/college and they sent out my transcripts which will cover me grades 6-12 and the college for all of my AA. I talked to the high school registrar and she said any records of an IEP should be in the transcripts if it was used.

Now to the current situation my recruiter is telling me that I need a 'treatment plan' from my doctor when I know no such thing exists. He also wants exact dates on my ADHD start-up/stopping. He also wants all of my medication records wrote up from my doctor. My main issue is that no 'treatment plan' exists. I talked to my doctor about the issues and we came to an agreement that I just had a lack of focus due to the poor class management at University. I guess the main issue is that he wants a non-existent 'treatment plan' wrote up from my doctor, which would involve creating something that doesn't exist, which would be fraud. What should I do in this situation? He says that the Chief Medical Officer wants more information about the whole thing, and there is nothing more to it, I've given them all the information about the situation and what happened. Should I start looking in to other branches at this point? (Will they just pull up my air force records and see that I had issues because of my past ADHD?) My recruiter is also saying that he is in a lot of trouble because he didn't properly follow his training and this led to him messing up the enlistment of 5+ possible recruits. This whole situation is a mess and I really don't know what to do besides ask for advice from everyone here.

I really do appreciate the help from everyone here, I just don't understand some of the issues coming up with my recruiter.

Tell your recruiter that a treatment plan doesn't exist and you can have your doctor state that in a letter to the Chief Medical Officer. Then tell your recruiter that you need him to write up something outlining exactly what he wants the statement from your doctor to say. Finally, take that letter to your doctor and ask him to rewrite it on his letterhead and sign it.

If your doctor has ever dealt with military enlistments before, he'll know how stupid things get. If your recruiter doesn't know exactly what he needs the statement to say, have him contact his boss and have them break it down for him. No sense in you running around spinning your wheels trying to generate poo poo that isn't going to work anyway.

If you don't make them tell you exactly what the statement needs to contain, you will get it kicked back three or four times and spend weeks chasing down poo poo because it would make way too much sense to tell you all the things they don't like about a statement at once. Instead the doctors at MEPs will read it until they find something they don't like and then kick it back. When you fix that part they will read a little further until something doesn't look right again.

Four submissions and 3 weeks later, you will finally have a working statement. But not before pissing everyone at your doctor's office off and wasting lots of gas and many hours. When you could just make them tell you exactly what it needs to look like up front.

Hekk fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 6, 2015

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
our CMO would kick back letters if they didn't specifically say "Dear MEPS Doctor"

I'm not even making that poo poo up

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

our CMO would kick back letters if they didn't specifically say "Dear MEPS Doctor"

I'm not even making that poo poo up

distinguished octogenarian colleague,
please take time from your busy day of looking at buttholes to review this correspondance

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Zetta_Slow posted:

Check out the DLI thread before deciding to come here. I didn't listen - don't make the same mistake I made.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
ADHD guy I mean its like god is trying to stop you from making a mistake though.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

Four submissions and 3 weeks later, you will finally have a working statement. But not before pissing everyone at your doctor's office off and wasting lots of gas and many hours. When you could just make them tell you exactly what it needs to look like up front.

By the way, this is a 100% accurate depiction of how everything works in the military. This is what you're getting into.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
here is for people thinking of joining the army/military probably:

watch apocalypse now. At some point it gets to a scene where Sheen is looking for a CO of some basecamp on the river, and its just flares in the air and tracers and everyone is like WHO IS IN CHARGE, I THOUGHT YOU WERE IN CHARGE and you think "whoa, vietnam is hosed up"

its basically like that 24/7, but someone will correct you on your haircut during all of that.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Watch Pentagon Wars.

Then apply the same administrative bullshit to everything from fixing your paycheck when Finance mistakenly applies some idiot's loss of pay to you and you find yourself getting $250 for the month, to getting your leave approved between training, deployments, and mandatory worthless fake education.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
if you don't think field sanitation carries over to the real world well then I got something for ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
brb putting field sanitation course on my resume

• Locked thread