Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008

Shif posted:

Are there any coding jobs available for the air force?

There is an Air Force programming AFSC, but I heard from some Comm guys that they're cutting the positions and giving them to civilians as much as possible. Any 3D0X4's to confirm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I'd shoot for civilian OSI before commissioning and hoping to jump over. Officers tend to not jump around career fields and have a pretty set path if they plan on going up in ranks. It's very hard to get into OSI and I imagine it's even more competitive for civilians. Honestly, I'd look into the FBI or something similar.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Bring a book 'cause MEPS takes all day. Also they are suppose to look at your butthole, so don't get weirded out by it. Do you have a career field in mind or are you waiting on your ASVAB scores to come back before you decide?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
Sounds like you won't have any issues getting in then. Stick to that workout, don't get in trouble, and you should be good. I don't know if you've answered before, but do you have an idea of what jobs you're interested in? Did your ASVAB break out what your individual scores were (General, Electrical, Mechanical, Administrative) or was the number just an overall 90?

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
I looked up what jobs your ASVAB score will get you and you qualify for all but one, barring any medical problems or other tests. You're not colorblind, are you? Linguist is a long school and you'll probably be stationed in very, very few places, depending on your language obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
The Air Force breaks down the ASVAB into four general categories: Mechanical, Electrical, Administrative, and General on a 1-99 scale. His overall score was a 90 but his categories help define what he's qualified for specific to the career field needs. The only job he doesn't qualify for is 9S100, which require an 88 and 85 in Mechanical and Electrical, respectively. The Army breaks down the same ASVAB into ten categories for their needs. The Army takes the raw scores from the ASVAB and combine them into stuff like combat, maintenance, artillery, clerical, etc. The GT score is a combination of arithmetic and word knowledge and comprehension. The Air Force takes the General category and combines the same word knowledge and comprehension with paragraph comprehension and arithmetic, grades them, and puts them on the 1-99 scale. Not sure how the Navy or the Marines do it, but I imagine it's similar. It's all the same and used the same, but categorized and graded differently.

• Locked thread