Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
I was in the same boat thanks to a lightning fast metabolism at the time. Eat a lot of peanut butter and bananas the night before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

shyguy posted:

Counterpoint: Enlist with a degree.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Oxford Comma posted:

Just outta curiosity, I know GiP tries to dissuade those with degrees from enlisting. But what about the guy who has a degree in Dutch Literature, with a 2.5 GPA from U of Phoenix? This guy isn't going to get a commission.

Anyone with a degree from U of Phoenix doesn't have a degree.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Bright Eyes posted:

Is UMUC at all reputable as university? They got some pretty nice degrees and they're cheaper than PSU World Campus. Also regionally accredited and non-profit. Has anyone had any experience with them?

Yeah, UMUC is reputable. They're part of the University System of Maryland. If you end up getting a degree from them it says University of Maryland on it instead of UMUC. Didn't have any problems transferring my UMUC credits to ASU.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

barbudo posted:

just droppin in to say im kind of a gip success story, i first posted here 2 years ago about to drop out of college and i got absolutely reamed, now im going to ocs, dont be like i almost was, thats all.

Now if we could just get you to shower

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
Yeah, really not a chance on that one.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
Had a platoon leader with full sleeves and his legs and back covered with tattoos. This was a few years ago so not sure if that'd still fly now for army officers.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

vacation in kabul posted:

Could you be a bigger loving lifer? Why don't you regale us with more of your bullshit stories about how you were such a badass in the AF you butthurt little bitch.

Jesus, you're so blinded by your lovely enlisted experience that you can't grasp the concept that enlisting with a degree might actually be a better option for someone than commissioning. This guy has been unemployed two years, has a degree that no doubt would only get him into JAG, which is something he definitely does not want to do, and isn't a self starter. Yeah, I'm sure any branch would be falling over themselves to give him a commission. There are exceptions to any rule, and this sounds like one of the rare exceptions to the 'don't enlist with a degree' rule if he can't get a better job through one of the alphabet agencies or something.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Frosted Flake posted:

Just out of curiosity, how do foreigners join the US Military?
I have an uncle who did during Vietnam, and he says he just drove over to Detroit, and the recruiters were happy to have him.
I imagine things are pretty different these days.

You need to have a green card.

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW
Yeah dude, the fact that you have a prescription for your ADHD, even if it's small dosage, means you're not getting in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LEGIT WAR CRIMINAL
Aug 29, 2008

by XyloJW

Dirty_Moses posted:

Well, I was five, but that doesn't really matter at all does it. What you say makes sense though. When I was growing up and thinking about enlisting, it was always on the condition of wartime, and even then, a war that I considered at least somewhat worth being a part of.

So, I'll bite the bullet and deal with it and try to make something of my life elsewhere, then. Thanks for clearing that up. Unless North Korea goes into a hilariously violent death throe and the world decides to mercy kill the fucker, that is.

Yeah, once it's reached the point that I'm halfway wishing for war is about the time to call it quits, I'd say. I'll wait until college to see if I'm actually willing to just drop it or if I'm actually so loving motivated by a higher calling that I bust my rear end into atrophy just to slide into that margin and join up, just to regret it ultimately, but I don't actually think my metaphorical penis is so small that I would do that just to prove a point. Nor do I think that it would be worth it to do all that or lie about it unless that work was going to something with a point, and I'm starting to get the idea that now is not that time. Yeah, it is disappointing, and yeah, I wish it was different, but now that I don't actually have any questions and I don't have any desire nor right to turn this into my little bitch tear repository, I guess that's it, then.

Actually, one more, this one more personal. Bradass, since you're speaking from personal experience, could you expand a bit about how it sucks? Now I'm just curious.

You can't be told how it sucks, you have to experience it. That's why we all still joined after being told how much it sucks. That and recruiter lies.

• Locked thread