Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

I like stuff posted:

enlisting active duty with a degree

Don't a lot of 18x people have degrees? What's their deal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Viola the Mad posted:

By the way, why doesn't the Find a Recruiter site have a search agent for officer recruiters?

The Army does not have specific officer recruiters. Theoretically any recruiter should be able to help with your packet. Theoretically.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

FreeFunnelCake posted:

If I continue on my current path and graduate in 2015 with a BS in accounting and a GPA around 3.45-3.6, what do you think my prospects are for getting into an OCS program in the Army or Navy? I don't have any medical or discipline issues and I think I would score pretty well on any physical tests. Thanks

Bright Eyes posted:

Does your school not have ROTC? If you're graduating in 2015 that should be 3 more years, so you should still be able to start the program.

Just do this.

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Who knows what the military's needs will be like in 2015. If we continue to downsize it might be way tougher. If we invade someone maybe way easier.
This is true as well, but I wouldn't count on China going all Red Dawn or some poo poo.

Let's suppose you are a candidate today -
Your grades, physical scores, extracirriculars, and rec letters all form a complete packet, but let's be real: PFT PFT PFT. Even in peace the pft is almonst everything. A 300 (perfect score) would give you, in particular, almost as good a chance as the football captain Rocket Science grad from Harvard because The Army. It's in the OP, but I don't think it emphasizes your PFT score enough. In the last couple Army OCS classes, most of the candidates had scores above 300 (yes, that is better than perfect.) If your PFT is <290 don't even waste a recruiter's time. Join clubs, get a job, volunteer, whatthefuckever. Do something besides get decent grades, because that's not enough (though it looks like you'd have that down, good work).

I'm not sure I said this, but you should probably work on your PFT.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 29, 2012

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Bob A Feet posted:

Just finish your degree and commission. Then even if you don't get SLRP, you'll have a decent enough salary to pay it off.

Theoretically this is the right idea, but you are not getting into OCS.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

Mustang posted:

What is acceptance like these days for the Army OCS option? I'm about to graduate with a degree in International Relations, around a 3.4 GPA. Good physical shape, pretty sure I can max a PT test. No debt, no health issues, no DUI, no criminal record. And I speak lovely French, if that matters for anything.

Really really goddamn hard. If your 3.4 was in STEM and you literally scored off the charts on your PFT (no seriously, people are scoring 306s and the like) you'd still probably need great extra curriculars and letters. Not sure what the Army thinks of foreign languages, but my OSO with the Marines likes my Mandarin. It can't hurt, what with the bullshit in Africa.

nuncle jimbo fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 13, 2013

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

iroc.dis posted:

I wasn't aware until reading the OP that there are separate recruiters for officers. Are they officers themselves or are they enlisted who are specifically tasked with officer recruiting?

The Army does not have separate Officer recruiters. If they try to feed you that line of BS find a different office.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

iroc.dis posted:

I'm guessing that applies to other branches but not the Army?

I can't speak for the Navy or Air Force because I've never bothered talking to them (lol liberal arts), but I know the Marine Corps has separate Selection Officers and the Army does not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

What about if I'm Captain America and thinking about 18x because I'm tired of waiting on OCS, is that stupid? Inevitably I'll gently caress up and end up in 82nd ID, right?

• Locked thread