Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Alright guys, I'll be graduating next semester with two degrees: chemistry and philosophy. Yes, I know the second one is worthless but hey, scholarships have helped with that endeavor. I've worked as a pharmacy technician for two years now while going to school full time. My GPA is ~3.7 (could change, still got these two semesters. I made 4.0's in all my philosophy stuff and made A's/B's for my science courses since I didn't find them nearly as interesting.) I took the ASVAB in high school and scored a 99% score and got bothered by recruiters for a long time and never really gave it a second thought. Well, I've always been fascinated with the military and want to attempt to become a helicopter pilot after graduating college.

I understand that nothing is guaranteed. I know it will be hard work and not Call of Duty-esque bullshit. I am not in terrible shape. I lift weights but cut cardio to help gain weight. Now that I've bought a new bike frame I'll be back on my normal cardio routine. I know everyone wants to be a pilot, but I'm not in this to fly an Apache and kill insurgents. I would love to fly a Chinook and just transport stuff on behalf of the military. Flying has always been a dream of mine and I feel that I could always go back to graduate school (either pharmacy or medical school) with a stronger mind and body. Part of me wants the challenge itself - I work two jobs and go to school full time as is. I know that this will be hard work. I can't overstate that enough.

I've had diagnosed "depression" and been prescribed SSRI's, but I've already consulted with my doctor and we're planning to wean me off it over the next month. Will this gently caress me in terms of getting a flight position? I know most people would say, "gently caress it, just go to graduate school," but I want to travel and push myself before I engage in academia even further. I'd love to be stationed in some foreign country where I can learn their culture - I took four years of French in high school, not sure if that would help me. I understand that the air force isn't the only place that flies helicopters - so what branch would you guys recommend for someone with my qualifications/desires?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Thing is, I'm not really depressed anymore. Otherwise I would be continuing the medication. Is there no waiver or way to show them that I'm mentally capable and not a risk?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Okay, fair enough. With my stated qualifications, what type of job should I try to aim for that would allow me to travel outside of the United States? I have nothing tying me down here besides family, but they're supportive of whatever I do. I would love to be stationed in a preferably Western European country. My civilian job was working in a pharmacy and I have a chemistry degree, maybe I could get a job working in military hospitals to some capacity?

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
I'll be graduating with a chemistry/philosophy degree in May. I asked earlier about being diagnosed with depression and being eligible to fly helos. The depression was really just a phase and nothing is really "wrong" with my mental health now. I just had a rough patch in my life. Despite this I've done well in school and it's been my dream to fly since I was a kid. I know that this isn't a guarantee to get in the sky or anything so I've been looking at other things I might enjoy.

Combat medic seems to be something I would like to do. I've considered training as an EMT but I figure the Army would teach me a lot of useful skills that would look great on a resume for pharmacy/medical (or PA, nursing, etc) school down the road. I want to take a break from this academic cycle. I want to push myself to be a stronger person and learn valuable survival techniques. I know that I'll have to learn a lot as a medic, but the fact that it will be something I could implement in my job immediately just engrosses me. I'm reading a U.S. Army survival manual and a lot of parts about treating trauma are very interesting to me. I'm a good shot with a rifle,understand their cleaning/assembly, and can put rounds in a 4 inch circle from pretty far away. I don't want to kill anyone if I had to be deployed. However, the safety of my buddies and I would supersede any reservations I had.

Are there any medics that would be willing to talk with me over AIM or Skype? I'm interested in which branch I should join, what similar jobs there are, and your general experience. (I have a top 1% ASVAB score, if that matters in terms of what jobs I'm eligible for. I'll also have a chemistry/philosophy degree as well. Besides that I'm in pretty good shape and stay active. Only physical thing that sucks for me is my flat feet.)

• Locked thread