Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
With regards to DRUG USE, admitting drug use for enlistment in the Army is no big deal. With regards to how that can effect a Security Clearance, I'd imagine its the same as it always has been, but who knows, I'm not a security clearance interviewer MI guy.

However, if you have any drug charges to include possession of paraphernalia , you're hosed for enlistment. I think you can get by on a frequenting charge, providing it wasn't reduced from something else.

With regards to loving the question in the OP regarding Airborne that says "GET IT IN YOUR CONTRACT," it doesn't really work that way, and it's not as easy as asking and we type it in boom, Airborne. That's all figured out at a USAREC level, or DA or something, so when we reserve a job, the options that are available for it are what you see is what you get. For the past 4 months, I've seen Airborne maybe once or twice, once it was available with 42A, the other was 92G, maybe a generator mechanic once. Option 40 (ranger) comes up rarely for infantry. Hell, 11X rarely comes up anyways.

As far as CASH BONUS, that's only currently available active duty wise for 35P, usually 15k for 5, and 20k for 6.

Student Loan Repayment is for the most part available only in the Reserves lately.

Also the Army recently opened up CID for direct enlistment, rather than just for people who are already in reclassing. It requires a 4 year degree and a GT Score of 110 and the ability to get a clearance, so I doubt we'll be enlisting anyone under that.

If anyone has any other questions regarding enlistment eligibility requirements, and other poo poo like that, make them a big post, I don't look here as much as I used to, so I don't have a lot of time to sit her and answer a bunch of individual questions.

OH, and regarding OCS, literally no one gives a gently caress that you have a degree, don't come into my office looking for an OCS packet for active duty unless you have letters of recommendation, can pass a PT test with a 300, and you weren't a recluse shut in with no extracurricular or community service, because we won't entertain it. You need to be loving Captain America, and even then you're probably still not qualified. Whatever golden ship of opportunity there was a few years back with OCS has passed.

It's difficult enough to enlist let alone commission. It's a different enviroment and the army is being picky again. A lot of stuff is reverting back to pre 9/11 type stuff. No felony waivers, no drugs, tattoos are back to old school standards, as well as all applicants must be AR600-9 compliant, not whatever crazy fatboy poo poo USAREC had going on awhile ago.

If you're fat, don't bother the recruiters, we are not a weight loss program. If you're a chick and 5'2 and 200 pounds, don't say you're 150, we are going to weigh you. After that we are going to show you the door. AAAAAAAAAAAARGH

:smithicide:

edit: sorry for the wall of text, one more thing, if you REALLY want OCS, try to do it via the reserves, its a lot easier to make it happen, but your unit may be awhile away. Commission through the USAR, then get on active duty when you can after that.

gently caress the ARNG, peace out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
USAR will take GEDs generally if you get over a 50 on an ASVAB. Active duty you must have also completed 15 college hours as stated above.

For the 15 hours they need to be at an accredited college. No one cares what the classes are as long as they're at least 100 level classes.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Here are basic qualifications for the Army. I will do my best to attempt to address what can be waived and whatnot, but there are sometimes crazy loopholes that old time recruiters are better at knowing how to exploit than myself. These will maybe serve as a guideline for other branches, but I'm sure it will vary on some by quite a bit.

So anyhow, if you talk to a recruiter he is going to run through a basic series of prequalification questions APPLEMDT.

Age- Must be between 17-35 and turn 35 no later than your shipdate. This is adjusted for prior service applicants assuming they served more than 180 days.
Prior Service- This covers a lot of stuff:
oASVAB: If you took the ASVAB for another branch or in Highschool these scores are good for 2 years and we can pull them for you
oJROTC: Completing 2 years of this will get your promoted, providing you have high school transcripts documenting this
oHave you applied at another branch? Need to know so we can get documents from them and also avoid poaching issues. Also nice to know why you werent qualified or backed out
oIf you were Prior Service in the Army and looking to get back in, only a limited number of jobs are available. One option is to come back in 18x or if you don't have one the MOS's that we are looking for, go gently caress yourself (sorry). Either way we will need a DD214 and no we can get them for you.
Physical Qualifications This is broad
oTattoos/piercings: back to old school standards. Hands and necks are loving out. If visible on a longsleeve collared shirt, probably hosed. Most piercings are no problem, since you can just take them out, but anything gauged past a 1/4in is going to need to be fixed
oMedical poo poo: Broken bones and poo poo are usually fine, assuming they're healed and no issues arise from it. Pins, rods, and other hardware are situational, and be prepared for a doctors visit. If it prevents your from running jumping or marching though, I wouldn't hold your breath.
Medication can be a big deal. No history of Asthma after the age of 12. ADD and ADHD are a big deal.
I could spend days talking about medical poo poo, so use this guideline: IF it is something that could seriously end up with you dying (ASTHMA) then dont bother and don't conceal it. If its a super over diagnosed and kinda bullshit thing you got when you were 12 (ADHD) then maybe dont make a big deal of it. However, if you talk to a recruiter about it, he'll do what needs to be done, generally. MEPS will threaten you but its ALL BULLSHIT. At the end of the day the recruiters and MEPS and the Army will not know anything you dont tell them.
LAW
FELONIES = NO (unless you got charged with a felony when you were like 12 years old it cant be waived)
DRUG CHARGES = NO
DUIs= Expect a waiver, more than 2 = gently caress no. History of alcoholism is a disqualifier for a lot of MOSs
Traffic tickets= Anything less than a $300 charge is no big deal as long as its paid.
DO NOT HIDE ANY LAW VIOLATIONS EVEN IF THEY WERE "EXPUNGED, DISMISSED, SEALED" OR WHATEVER, these can/will be found and gently caress your rear end hard if not disclosed.
Education If you have a GED, you are only eligible for RESERVES and must be able to score a 50 on the ASVAB. IF you have a GED and 15 Credit Hours at an accredited Post Secondary school, then you can do whatever as if you had a HS Diploma. College credit can get you promoted. Off the top of my head 24 = E2, 36=E3, Bachelors Degree=E4
Marriage Y/N no big deal
Dependents Anything more than 1 Spouse and 2 rugrats is a waiver. Sole custodian of kids is a no-go.
Testing Take a practice ASVAB. If you got less than a 30 then you will probably be leaving the office shortly.

Long post but people walk in my office all day out of tolerance with the erryday thinking we're the French Foreign Legion or something, so there you go.

Edit: No one gives a poo poo if you want OCS, no one is ever good enough and its
not worth the effort. Same for WOFT. Like, you had better be the Second Coming of Eisenhower or something.

iceslice posted:

That's a pretty pro post. Can you add some guidelines about financial status? I know I've seen quite a few posts, and been asked a few times about types/amounts of debts, and civil action related to those debts, ect.

Fianancial concerns are not really a big problem we worry about the recruiter office, unless we are pulling a job that obviously needs a security clearance. We don't pull credit checks, and I'm not even sure if MEPs does it to be honest. I know we don't sign any release for credit checks. With a security clearance job though, if you were to enlist knowingly having a seriously delinqent items in your credit history, be aware that if you somehow manage to enlist, that by sometime in your near future when they get around to doing the investigation for a security clearance, that you'll likely face trouble and quite possibly lose your job/clearance.
If you want to be proactive about this, you need to set up a payment plan through these companies. Pay for delete or whatever. I went through some serious problems because of this in my past, and this thread was pretty loving helpful: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3234974

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 2, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Since I can't stress this one enough either:

IF YOU GO TO A RECRUITING IT OFFICE TAKING IT LESS SERIOUSLY THAN YOU DID YOUR MINIMUM WAGE MCDONALDS JOB, DON'T EXPECT THE RECRUITERS TO GIVE A gently caress ABOUT YOU, YOUR NEEDS, YOUR CONCERNS, OR YOU JOINING THE ARMY

Also if someone can post that OP from the Fat dude trying to join the USAF thread I'd love it, tia

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Absolutely, they are. It sucks because you will run into some genuinely good dudes with dumb poo poo disqualifying them, but thats how it goes.

It's annoying when some dudes douchebag brother/uncle got in 5 years ago and comes in with them and think they know the rules and poo poo.

Or Vietnam dads and poo poo. Because the army hasnt changed since '68

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

HATE CURES TRANNYS posted:

Please tell me you've had to waiver someone with two wives, that sounds hilarious. Or am I misreading that somehow?

No, haha, this is Mormon country where I'm at but it's just on the books like that.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Oxford Comma posted:

If you enlisted and have some crazy tattoos that are a no-go these days, can you re-up or will the military decline your continued service?

I'm not sure how that's being approached in the real Army. I'd imagine people are grandfathered, but if you're seriously considering staying in, I'd probably try to get them cleaned up before you start competing for E7 and need a DA Photo, but that's just me and I'm not a SNCO so

edit: And they could do a bar to reenlistment, and that would get so many people out too

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Oxford Comma posted:

Just curious. I'm not in the military but was just wondering. Also, there's a lot of talk in this thread about not enlisting if you have a degree, but what if your GPA was loving poo poo and you can just barely pass PT qualifications, and nowhere near a 300? WHAT THEN SERGEANT SMARTYPANTS?!

Then enlist or find something else you can do in the world. If you got a stupid degree then thats your problem, no mine or the Army's

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

DoktorLoken posted:

Interestingly enough, Eisenhower was only a COL when WWII started.

Fast tracked like a mofo to be SAC I guess

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Jaytan posted:

When you say "Second Coming of Eisenhower" for OCS can you narrow down what that might look like in concrete terms?

4.0 STEM degree, 300 PT, volunteer work that would make mother teresa look like a scrub?

More or less. You have to bring something to the table than a BFA man.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Jaytan posted:

Yeah I've got a 3.3 in a CS/math degree and could get to a 300 PT but I don't really have any volunteer stuff to mention so I guess it's not worth bothering?

If you can get a 300 off the bat and present a reasonable appearance its worth a shot, least they could do is say no. Volunteer and letters of recommendation go a long way.

Really my point was against the entitlement some people have just because they have a degree, but in the Army at the end of the day a 300 means more to most people than it should. Treat it very seriously and don't be all casual like people owe you poo poo, and you have a better chance. If you come in sneering at enlisted folks and the enlistment process, your enlisted recruiters aren't going to make an effort. If you honestly feel like you are being blown a bunch of bullshit, and being an officer is your dream in life (be able to explain why you deserve to be an officer, beyond "its dumb to enlist with a degree") and call or email the company commander with a rational and thought out reason why you should have this opportunity. If you need help finding the company commander, I might be able to help.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

calmasahinducow posted:

Lots of good info, but this needs to be clarified. This is a no-go in today's environment. The Call to Duty program right now is limited to former Active Duty officers who want to go back to AD and is totally based on the needs of the Army. In the last 6 months I have seen 1 Call to Duty ALARACT and that was for 10 Civil Affairs O3s.

OK, cool, I'll put this in my "TOOLBAG" sorry for the disinformation.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

naughty_penguin posted:

Does anybody know anything about AMEDD recruiting/standards, specifically 71a (microbiology)?

I just got my PhD in microbiology and I am very interested in doing microbiology work in the army. I just finished MEPS, and my CV read came back as qualified. All my app stuff is in except a couple letters. I worked with pathogens in grad school, some of which were closely related to ones the army is working on. I feel like I am well qualified, good GPA, in shape, a little volunteer work, leadership positions in grad school, plenty of departmental awards and so on.

My only worry is that the selection board meets in December, and that is a little late for me to wait on it, especially if it doesn't work out. My recruiter has never recruited a microbiologist, so he doesn't have that much info. I don't know how many slots are open or how selective they are. If anybody knows anything about it, I would really appreciate any input.

Are you talking to a normal recruiter or an AMEDD recruiter?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

naughty_penguin posted:

AMEDD recruiter. He normally does vets and dentists and stuff like that.

IDK then man, if it's really worth it to you then December isn't really a long time! Apply for other jobs as a fall back in the mean time. Maybe you'll luck into something better than the Army in the meantime. If not you'll have something to pay the bills until you commission. Even if you're good to go at the board, it's likely to be another wait before you actually go to do anything.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
with regards to underweight, I had a chick I enlisted a few days ago, and she was underweight. Tipped our scales at 100 clothed. Of course at MEPs they weigh you in underwear. She ate like 15 bananas the night before she enlisted and weighed in at 103 and passed amazingly. Just anecdotal but whatever.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

I like stuff posted:

If this isn't a bad idea would it matter on what branch I joined? The talks of the Army reserve going to 7 weeks AT has me worried on how that would affect my employment opportunities, so I've been leaning Air Force Reserve or Air National Guard.

The Army talking about it means there is at least a 90% chance it wont happen. Since I've joined the Army talked about :

* Replacing most armored vehicles with Stryker equivalent to include the M1A1
* OICW
* XM28
* PT Test
* Comanches I guess but gently caress
* The Paladin with the one thing
* A million other things

Don't bank on rumored army times policies and poo poo man.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Yeah man, the official GIP DTG is as follows; YYYYMMDD

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Viola the Mad posted:

Yeah, that's what I want to do, analyze the intelligence brought in and put together products. I do understand and accept that I might not end up in military intelligence because it's the freaking military and going where the Army wants you is part of the package.

By the way, why doesn't the Find a Recruiter site have a search agent for officer recruiters?

There arent Army officer recruiters. The boards and all of that are just the company and battalion leadership of regular recruiting units.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

If I go to MEPS as Air Force, does the MEPS good-to-go transfer to other branches?

If you're talking about previous physicals and ASVAB scores, yes MEPS can pull from other branches and MEPs locations.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

More that I'm going to MEPS through Air Force soon, but am considering going Army for HUMINT.

So what exactly are you asking?

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

Ha, sorry. If I go through MEPS as Air Force, and am cleared, but decide I want go enlist Army, will I have to go back to MEPS all over again?

The Army Recruiters will love you and the USAF ones will hate you, as well.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

^that's what I figured which is why I'm trying to put it off until I decide what I want to do.

What do you mean? My contract to enlist? I was under the impression that I just got my physical and made a wishlist of jobs. This is through Air Force.

Yeah but at some point you actually enlist. You swear in, sign a contract and everything. While you can always drop out/DEP loss before you ship. That is just really lovely form and if you're not going to go through with it, then why waste everyone's time?

If Army HUMINT is what your end goal is, quit wasting the USAF guys time and go talk to the Army.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

I like stuff posted:

Also, do any particular reserve branches get activated less or more so than others? I'd want to deploy as less as possible and I've heard the AF Reserve deploys the least.

It's the military. If you don't want to do things like deploy...then don't join the military. It's sort of an intrinsic part of the job.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

nooneofconsequence posted:

Thanks for the response.

That's disappointing.

Hey man, the key words in his post were "if you tell anyone"

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

nooneofconsequence posted:

Other people in the thread were pretty clear on "don't lie," while you appear to believe it's not necessary to disclose everything. So... how bad is it to omit things?

It's like everything else in the military, its only bad if you get caught.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
I have no idea how USAF numbers work, but for Army there is no incentive for us to push a 6 year over a 3 year enlistment. An enlistment is an enlistment. Certain jobs in all branches won't have a 3 year enlistment, if the training is, for instance, a year. It's not effective. I'm sure Navy Nuke dudes have long rear end contracts.

If I get a chance, maybe I can talk to the USAF recruiter that works next to me. He is way cool and would give me his best guess on something like this. I can confirm that the server thing did happen. That dude was hardly doing poo poo while that was going on.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Talked to the USAF recruiter. He has no reason to give a gently caress if you sign 4 or 6 or 100 years. If he is telling you 6 years, it's because the job requires that.

Vasudus posted:

The Army used to do it totally differently, once you actually got into MEPS your recruiter stayed outside the liaison's office and had no input as to what you signed on for. The liaison couldn't tell you anything other than what was available, but what job you picked and how long you enlisted for was between them and you. I don't know if they still do it like that though, or if the AF has anything similar.

That's how it worked when I signed up. Now, unless its very unusual circumstances, we recruiters pick the job with the applicant before they go enlist, and providing through the physical and all of that they remain qualified for it, it's what they'll get.

USAF on the other hand does some crazy poo poo and it boils down to wishing and praying for your job to open up while you are in the DEP. Same USAF recruiter says the average wait for a guy to ship after enlisting is 8-10 months.

Mr. Peepers posted:

I'm looking to enlist active duty in the army, angling for a 35Q but I have concerns about my medical history. I've been under treatment for depression on and off for about 5 or 6 years now. In 2007 I spend two weeks in a hospital out-patient program and have been on and off medication and therapy since then. Right now I'm on light medication and see a therapist a few times a month. I've never been suicidal, been committed or anything like that, have no other mood disorders or other mental problems.

When I talked to a recruiter today she was somewhat dubious that I would be accepted into 35Q or possibly any 35 MOS if I was completely honest with a medical history like that. I just said that since I'd need to get a security clearance, I would prefer to be as honest as possible. She also said the doctor who does medical screenings for recruits is a real hardass about his attrition rate so that might add another wrinkle.

I'm already pulling up medical records but how much of a problem would this be for me and how much do I need to or how much should I disclose?

What you describe about yourself is a BIG DEAL. As in, good luck even getting in as a cook, let alone a 35Q. Being on antidepressents is pretty much an instant DQ in almost all circumstances. By "almost all" I mean 99.9999999%

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 16, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

DEVILDOG, do you know how touch 35Q are to get? Do they just never pop up as open or did you mean because his antidepressants? I'm planning to do 35Q, but w/o antidepressants.

It's just a rare to surface job. Much like firefighter it doesn't come up very often as an option of enlistees. It's not impossible and it's worth hanging on for if you're dead set.

The way it works at any given moment is the BIG ARMY post real time openings for training. When we look up jobs based on your AFQT and other variables, the available openings for the individual applicant show up. Of 150+ options in the army, the most I've ever seen for anyone, with a kid with a 95 on his ASVAB was 26 different jobs. 2 months ago I've seen guys with 90+ scores have 2-3 jobs available.

What I'm getting at is I can't say what will be an option for you, but if your recruiter comes at you with some poo poo that you don't like, it's honestly what is available at the moment. He is of course going to push you towards it because he wants a contract, but aside from that, there are no recruiter tricks. Sometimes you can call the ROC and get poo poo, but generally it is what you see is what you get. I strongly encourage my applicants to pick like 5+ MOS that they'd be happy with, and then try to find something similar.

tl;dr, if it doesnt come up, ask him to call the ROC "rock" and see what you can get. If it still doesnt come up, its genuinely not available and either hold out or look for something else.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

Probably not for secret. Very likely for a top secret. Listen man, I don't want you to take this the wrong way but if I were still recruiting, no matter how hard up I was for contracts, there is no way I would ever even consider putting you in. My whole purpose in life was to put people in but It's too risky and when you get caught it will be a shitstorm.

You'd have to stop any meds for at least a month before you even depped. Once you are in you have a huge secret you are hiding from everyone. If you ever have problems, your past records are going to come up.

It sounds like you are doing well with light meds and therapy. Don't throw that progress away on a bet that you will probably lose.

This dude is 100% correct. I'll admit that I give dubious advice on the forums, but it really depends on the situation as far as enlistment. By Army reg, if you got ADD meds for acting like you were 12 when you were 12 you are disqualified. Personally I think it is an over prescribed bit of poo poo. I'll tell you here not to bring it up. If you are currently on meds, that's a big deal.

If you come to me and tell me to my face that you are on some poo poo I'm going to tell you that youre DQ'd because I'm not going to risk my career on a 19 year old kid. At the same time I've seen kids DQ'd because their parents thought they should go to counseling while they went through a divorce.

edit- "hekk" where did you recruit at, regionally?

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 17, 2012

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Sounds nice!

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Yeah, I'm just an E5 in this poo poo, but I've gotten a bit of grey hair from the poo poo. We don't have indivudal missions, just a mission as a station, and we got our assees kicked last month We were on for 4/2 (active/reserve) and ended at a 1/0 for the month. USMC made 5 of their 14 for the month. It's bad up here :shrug:

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

Yeah the Army changed to their factory line recruiting process (or whatever it's called) right as I was leaving. With the right crew it seems like it can work really well. I like the idea of sharing the responsibility of making mission with everyone in the sub station. However, if your area canvassing recruiters start slacking and the guy doing interviews doesn't have anyone in the chairs, I imagine things can get stressfull.

We're like 90% old school and there is a great schism due to it. The only way we operate on the new system is that we have a Future Soldier manager. Future Soldier manager is the guy that keeps teh DEPs engaged and trains them promotes them whatever, so that we dont take DEP losses. Of course I'm that guy, so I'm expected to manage 30 DEPs plus do all the other recruiting functions. It's pretty gay.

edit: On paper the new system is awesome, but requires 7 people at a bare minimum. We have 5 covering like 20+ schools, and about 1/2 are target schools.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

I feel for you. I wouldn't make it dealing with high school seniors all that time. As a recruiter I mainly put in grads who shipped in less than 30 days. That's why I don't remember any of them.

It's funny though, once you are finished recruiting, all the kids you put in remember you. You will get stopped all the time and have no idea who the person is.

I wish we could ship kids in 30 days, it would make life easier. Average is like 4-6 months for a grad. Grads are easy, give me an SF1199 and show up on ship day.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Bright Eyes posted:

DEVIL, how often does Army update that job list? Once a month?

Like daily. It's real time so every recruiter can see the same list. Sometimes there is only like 1 opening for certain jobs, you gotta jump on it quick. If you're legit qualified for the job, and you will accept nothing else, you could be out of luck, who knows.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
We can't even let someone in with a misdemeanor paraphernalia charge or anything drug related at all, felony or not.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

It's been a few years but as I understand it, a deferred adjudication means the charges are "dismissed without prejudice" which means the court can bring the charges back up. If at the end of the deferred period, you go back to court and have the charges "dismissed with prejudice" then there is.no way the case can be reopened and you might have a chance if you talk with a recruiter.

Oftentimes the military looks at any type of alternate settlement the same as a conviction though so you'd really have to talk to a recruiter.

I think USMC might still be able to do minor pot charges.

Anyhow, as far as the Army looks at it now, if you had diversion, probation, or anything, it's as good as guilty. Reduced charges later don't matter if there were any kind of fines or anything associated with it. We look at the original charge, not whatever deal was worked out with a plea bargain or anything.

If it was dismissed as in, whoops we totally arrested the wrong dude, and the court records show that, then fine.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Sexy Flanders posted:

I graduated college a year ago and have been considering the army or navy. My only hesitation is I have full sleeve tattoos. Absolutely nothing objectionable/hateful and nothing that can be seen when I'm in a long sleeve shirt. So is this a non-starter with the army or navy? I've tried searching online but most of the info seems to be outdated. Any help would be appreciated.

Based on your description you can join the Army.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~

Hekk posted:

I have never seen or heard of anyone who ever got a waiver to enter the military after having admitted to taking anti-depressants. Doesn't mean that it's never happened, but if I couldn't find a way to run a waiver when the Marine Corps was expanding and our quotas were the highest they've ever been, I can't imagine that now that everyone is downsizing there would be any reason they'd be granting waivers.

This. Yeah technically there are supposed to be exceptions, and if someone does admit it on the floor, our doc will send them to a psyche consult, then usually DQ them after that.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
For some reason I've only seen option 40 lately for 92g of all MOS's. 11x ones either dont exist, or if they do they get snatched up pretty quick. You can insist but you risk waiting an indefinite amount of time. And honestly they aren't going to look every day because they're probably dealing with other Applicants. They can try calling the ROC and see if anything comes up, outside of that its just up to prayer or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
puttin on 6 after like 8 years :smithicide:

over half my tis as an e5 :smithicide:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 29, 2012

• Locked thread