Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Note to all who are considering joining the military (or at least the Air Force):

:siren: Do not expect to ship out anytime soon after your first contact with a recruiter. :siren:

When I made the decision to join the Air Force, I figured it'd go something like this: "Done any drugs? Got a high school diploma? Mkay we got a bus leaving next Tuesday, here's a packing list."

My first contact with a recruiter was in the first week of January this year. "You're overweight, bye." Four months and forty pounds later, "Hi I'm back." I got scheduled to take the ASVAB two weeks out (middle of April) and another three weeks after that I went up to MEPS and got sent home early, needing to get a more thorough examination of my eyes. That happened another two or three weeks later. They said I'd have to get a waiver in order to enlist, which would take "up to" 45 days... ended up taking about twice that. Then a couple weeks after that went through I went back up to MEPS and finished up where I'd left off, and was finally in the DEP. I think that was in the middle of August. And my recruiter just texted me with a ship date: 5 March 2013.

If you're looking to get something done in your life quickly, joining the military ain't it.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Oct 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

So I'm shipping out to Lackland for Cryptologic Lingusist on 05032013... Anyone have any experience with this? What's the worst thing about it, the best thing, etc? How's Monterey? (Or do I even get to see any of it?)

• Locked thread